Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Does powered bow stunlock not work in this version? I'm only up to the master sword in Legend mode with this version, but I'm seeing a lot of talk about difficult missions to get early weapons and bow stunlock is always my go-to for cheesing with underpowered characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

GreatGreen posted:

What are the best practices for upgrading weapons?

Is it as simple as “keep the highest damage weapon with the most slots, upgrade abilities for that weapon as you see fit, sell the rest?” Obviously the responsible min/maxer is going to want multiple upgraded weapons, one a lot of damage upgrades, one with farming upgrades, etc.

For damage though, is it better to upgrade individual combos, or your primary elemental type? Do upgrades for damage reflect themselves in the damage number associated with the weapon?

Also, is any given character more likely to find upgrades for their own weapons, or is it all random for everybody?

Folt can respond with a huge in depth analysis but the basics are:

The damage number is only indicative of the rank (1-4+) and the stars. Each star (up to 5) increases damage by I think 10%.

Skills are a different story.

For Elemental Skills, there are certain ones that are better than others. Always have Darkness+ on a dark weapon, never have water+ on a water weapon. Fire is okay if you have nothing else, lightning is situational (I generally only have it on the spinner because it's very easy to pop people into the air with that).

Attack Skills are nice for combos that you use, for example Linkle's C2 is her best officer WPG combo so I'll always have Strong Attack 2+ on whatever weapon I'm using, but I'll never have Strong Attack 4+ on it because the bomb spam is her most unreliable move. That said, those are the first skills to be removed if I don't have slots for them.

Bonus Skills are your farming skills. You can put all 6 on a weapon if you want, but they have no place on an "ultimate weapon".

KO Skills require 1,000 kills to unlock and only serve to enhance an item or give you special gauge every 300 KOs. Don't use them.

VS Skills require 2,000 kills to unlock and boost damage against a particular enemy group. VS Undead and VS Dragon are popular, Undead because of how common they are (Wizzro, Big Poe, Icy Big Poe, Gibdo, Redead Knight, Darknut, and Stalmaster) and Dragon because of how annoying they are (Volga, King Dodongo, Argorok, Lizalfos, Dinolfos, Aeralfos, Fiery Aeralfos). You can only have one of these per weapon, so don't make it Vs Sorceress (Lana and Cia).

SP Skills require 3,000 kills to unlock and you can only have one of them. The most common is No Healing, since if you've taken enough damage to need healing you've already lost the A Rank. Defenseless is also popular as many don't bother guarding, but they give the same power boost. Compatriot at full power is the strongest of the bunch, but that requires controlling 5 keeps and many missions don't have the keep capturing mechanic at all, making it much less powerful for those missions.

AUG Skills require 4,000 kills to unlock and you can have two of them. Hasty Attacks is a must since it basically makes you attack at Focus Spirit speed all the time. Focus Spirit+ is popular, as is Finishing Blow+, but it all depends on play style.

Lastly, the 5,000 kill skill, Heart Power, just scales upwards as your maximum hearts increases so go for it.

All that said, my Luminous Crossbows (Linkle 4+ weapon) has:
Hasty Attacks
No Healing
Str Attack 2+
Str Attack 3+
Reg Attack+
Vs Dragon
Heart Power
Fire+

Reg Attack+ could probably get changed out because her normal attacks kill all mooks already anyway, and Fire+ could probably get swapped out as well. I tend to use Fairy Magic more than Focus Spirit with her, so those +'s wouldn't make sense for my style.

Hopefully all that makes sense!

And all that said, this is for the 3DS version. I'm not sure if it changed at all for the Switch, I'm not that far into it.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 31, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

b_d posted:

just wondering since I'm not that deep into the post-normal-legends stuff yet. what's with these skills? I assume they have a benefit?

They boost the attack power, but that boost is not reflected in it's damage number. a 4+ 5 star will be 750 with No Healing and without it. No Healing, Defensless, and Sturdy Feet all boost by the same amount. Compatriot boosts depending on how many keeps you control, capping at I believe 5. At 5 it is stronger than the others, but you won't always be at that level, so I like to go with No Healing.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

GreatGreen posted:

Redead Knights are a horrible enemy from a design perspective. The best thing about this game, the thing that makes it fun, is the combination of killing and attacking lots and lots of things all the time and always being on the move. These enemies totally destroyed the rhythm of the game in a frustrating way.

Who thought it would be a cool, fun thing to have an enemy who constantly spams AoE attacks that freeze the player and that has an extremely rare and narrow interrupt opportunity.

Edit: bitching aside, for an actual question and possibly thread contribution, is it generally recommended to do one adventure map at a time, sticking with it until you 100% the thing, or should you skip around?

Special attacks trigger through being frozen and clear their WPG in one hit.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

GreatGreen posted:

What do you mean? What special attacks?

The attacks that use the yellow bar. X in Zelda controls, A in warriors controls.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I confirmed in Legend mode that powered arrow stunlock is still a thing and quite easy to execute, so all you people whining about Agitha, drink an item power up from the apothecary and spam light arrows to win.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Fun Fact:

Blitzing to Linkle's Level 4+ Crossbows at level 36 with only tier 1 unlocked does not end well. Got there but can't do near enough damage to get an A rank on time. Guess I gotta grind out skulltullas until I can use the item power up apothecary potion.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 19, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Oxyclean posted:

You could also just dump a ton of rupees on levels if you got them. That was usually my solution when I came up short on time in situations like those.

My highest level character is Link at 50. I went straight to the crossbows after Legend mode, Linkle!crossbows and Link!Spinner are my two weapons of choice. It was kinda fun finding the requirements to get there - unlocking Ravio, then unlocking Medli in the Wind Waker map to unlock Yuga to get to the 4+ square. In the previous versions I did the maps in order, not progressing until the previous map was full cleared, with the exception of getting the 4+ crossbows off Lorule once I had the Master Sword unsealed. Bouncing between them is a lot more fun.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 19, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

FPzero posted:

I just got myself to 90 skulltulas by doing major cleanup on the Adventure and Great Sea Maps. I guess I'll do Master Quest next to get L3 weapons for people, unless I start jumping around to get L4s.

Speaking of higher weapons though, what's a + weapon? Like, I'm not talking about a 4+ weapon; I unlocked Sheik's 4+ and got a "Triforce Harp +" to drop that has something like 550 damage on it. But I also had a 5* Triforce Harp drop for me that only had 420 damage. Is the Triforce Harp + the L4 weapon? I'm just curious since these things started dropping suddenly after getting the 4+ and I assume it means that getting a higher one like 4+ sort of unlocks the L3 and L4 weapons below it.

Triforce Harp+ is the level 4 weapon. The 4+ weapons have different names. For example, Linkle's level 4 is Legendary Crossbows+, and her 4+ is Luminous Crossbows. The + weapons have the same attack stat as the level 4 weapons but have two elements.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Btw how the hell do I A rank that one Adventure Map mission that’s a quiz where the third question summons Ganondorf and a Bokoblin and you’re supposed to kill Ganondorf without killing the fragile Bokoblin who likes to walk into your attacks?

Boomerang, powered light arrows with your back to the bokoblin.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I A-ranked every mission on Wii U. I A-ranked every mission on 3DS. Didn't get all the medals because I didn't streetpass for rental skills and that killed my drive for em. Now I'm finishing Cucco's Fury on Switch before diving back into the maps.

Now I have a time limit. Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Zore posted:

Yeah, in the original a bunch of the A ranks were capped at 5 hearts lost total. In 3DS and Definitive they were massively expanded and I think even the strictest one in Definitive is 80% damage taken. Which is 24 hearts if you have all of them on a character.

In return though, KO requirements were jacked up. They were a flat 1200 for A rank in all maps on WiiU and range from 1000-1800 depending on map and rank in Definitive.

For time 15 minutes has always been the A rank cut off for everything iirc.

And yet I just got a C on level 2 giant battle of Cucco's Fury. Super glad that's back in this version, mindless button mashing is what I need sometimes.