Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oxyclean posted:

I was kind of expecting her to be another Lana (okay but kind of annoying) but she just owns. Her crossbow moveset is absolutely great. Still need to try the boots.

Lana would be 10x better if she would just shut up. Her voice is the worst. She's a fun character with cool weapons and movesets but THAT VOICE uuuuugh.

Anyway being able to buy item cards alone is worth the price of admission, I think. That'll make getting through Adventure mode soooooooooo much less tedious when I don't have to clear this map to get a compass so I can get a bomb so I can get an ice arrow so I can get a hookshot to use on that map to get a weapon unlock. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Keep the button held down after you do a combo that ends with X, and she'll charge up the bomb arrows.

Edit: am I the only one that went with the "Zelda" control scheme where the button layout is rotated so it's B for basic attacks and Y for finishers, instead of Y and X?

This was my first Warriors type game so for the Wii U and 3DS version I used the Zelda control scheme. Since then I've also played FEW, which obviously defaults to the "Warriors" control scheme. It felt like too much of a pain to swap the buttons around so I just got used to Y for regular attack, X for strong, B for dodge, etc.

Then for the Switch version I just kept it. It didn't take that long to adjust.

Oxyclean posted:

Probably not but it sounds like a lot of people went with the warriors setup. I chose it because I assumed it'd be better tailored.

For what it's worth I've seen some people use combo nomenclature that's button type neutral. Cx where I think x is the number of lights before a strong. C1 would be "YX" on warriors control, C2, YYX, etc.

That's the nomenclature but I can never remember which combo is which.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo Wizzro sucks to play as.

Spam the bullet hell (second or third combo iirc?) attack. You are now in a bullet hell game and you are the bad guy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Leal posted:

Or against, instant AOEs and if you try to keep away so you can dodge those attacks you'll be too far away to hit him before his weak point gauge drops. If it isn't jacking your health rating its constantly interrupting you.

You uh... have a block button, you know? When he starts doing his rear end in a top hat attack, block, move toward him, and stab him when his Weak Point gauge shows up?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

So what’s the trick to Redeads and Gibdos? Their attacks loving suck.

Use the bow. Stay just out of range of their freezing attack and fire the bow when the weak point gauge appears, then dodge in and start whaling on 'em.

Pollyanna posted:

Getting hit while blocking pushes you back, it’s easy to get stuck in a block-stun loop, and guards break very easily anyway. Blocking sucks in this game.

The bow is your friend here too! Hold down your block button, and when his Weak Point gauge appears, shoot the bastard. It'll flinch him, then you can run in and smack him upside the head.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Viridiant posted:

I loved this game on the Wii U and I love it again on the Switch, having a blast playing all these characters again plus more that I never got to play because I never bought Legends.

Also My Fairy is cute and I'm glad I get to dress up my pet fairy friends in different clothes.

I still hate the experience of fighting The Imprisoned.

Good news! The Imprisoned was improved in the Legend version.

Firstly, he will no longer automatically get up when his Weak Point Gauge is at half!

Second, there's a mechanic where you gather your ally characters around giant boss (Command them to go to that square), and you get various bonuses like increased damage to the Weak Point Gauge and magic refill.

The Imprisoned is still the worst large boss, but he's a lot less miserable than he used to be!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

I'm feeling like a god after skipping straight to Sheik's 4+ Harp lol, she's such a killing machine. Glad that one of the most fun characters to play also has the easiest super weapon to get, I'd have a hard time running around with a 4+ Tingle.

edit: seriously being able to tank Redead screams with the water shield up is such a blessing, I always forget to dodge it on my other characters now . What's the best map square for farming Ruto materials for her gold badges?

I am interested in this. How did you do it? What level was Sheik when you did it?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

Probably mid 30s? Not sure, I just know I've used her a ton since then and now she's just at 40. Abuse her water shield (do a C2 so the blue note appears below her health bar , then hit the special button) -- it creates a shield that lasts until you get hit that will absorb up to like 4 or 5 hearts of damage in a single hit and keep it up at all times so you dont fail the A-rank damage requirement because otherwise a captain will take off like half your health bar in a single hit. It's a challenge but totally doable with her as long as you have her rank 2 weapon from the campaign. The stage that gets you her weapon is pretty close to the beginning of the map, the only potentially challenging thing there is a solo Skull Kid requirement mission but I think you only need to get a C on it to progress to Sheik's weapon square so even if it's a little tedious the Skull Kid one is doable underleveled.

This is aces, thank you! Sheik is my main so I am totes trying this! I think she just hit level 30 so I can bump her up a few levels with rupees then tear poo poo APART! :black101:

I know Master Sword Link is the go to "busted af" character but I find that boring. Speaking of the Master Sword though, what are the requirements for unlocking its skills now? For the first one I would assume... Level 3 weapons for all characters? Does that include the later unlocks like Ravio, or just up to the Master Quest map?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ahahaha! I got her lv 4 weapon (haven't even gotten the lv 3) and immediately scanned my Sheik Amiibo. :unsmigghh: Yesssss. The world shall burn!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

So is there something I have to do in order to get item cards to drop in the Great Sea map? I can't buy any because none have dropped yet, and none of the battles I can attempt seem to drop one, and they all have something I need to search for. Am I gonna have to do battles without searching first, or is my game bugged, or what? I want to unlock Medli.

Edit: yes, I did have to clear a battle without searching in order to proceed past and get the item I needed to do the search. It must have been awful to play this mode without the item shop.

It was a miserable slog and the item card shop is low key the best new feature in this game!

Oh to reveal the enemies on this square I need a Goddess Harp.

This square has a Goddess Harp but to get to it I need Ice Arrows.

OK this square has Ice Arrows but it has a reward unlocked by bombs. OK might as well get that reward while I'm at it.

Where are some bombs... oh I also need a Compass. What square has a Compass...

Repeat forever. It sucked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't even get past that skull-kid mission you need for Shiek's 4+, Darunia shows up with like 4 big poes and wrecks me.

I barely managed to scrape through that with two potions and the free revive from a Light fairy. I levelled him up to 30 and got him as many badges as I could before I attempted it. I still only barely managed it. Grab a Light fairy if you don't have one already. She's very early in the first adventure map.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What I want to know is, is there a way to tell what food boosts what element? I remember seeing it in the 3DS version but I haven't spotted it in the Switch one yet. My light fairy learned a lightning skill and that confused me. I don't have a lightning fairy yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah I don't know why the game doesn't just tell you what the requirements for A rank are. Like... why? Knowing what they are doesn't make it any easier to do them, just saves you a bit of time if you whiff it and know you're not getting A rank so you might as well restart.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's something funny about Folt being adamant that Shiek is bad (or at the very least drops off) then you go on youtube and the guy who mains hyrule warriors and has created guides for every installment/walkthroughs for literally everything goes "Nah Shiek is actually the best in the entire game outside Master Sword (unlocked) Link"

Fun reasoning behind his picks and I can't exactly disagree with most of it.

Hi it's me, I main Sheik. I didn't watch the guy's video but I agree Shiek owns bones and is the best.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Not really. It's starting to grind on me like hell, and having the Legends DLC be so obviously less integrated into this edition than the OG DLC characters were in Legends is sad to see.

And I cannot access the Bazaar from the Adventure Maps anymore which makes the game less QoL in one notable aspect compared to it's predecessors. :negative:

You can. You have to go into the character select screen for a square, but you don't need to back out to the main menu or anything like that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I might be misremembering what happened to me but if you're not controlling the character who's the recipient of the A rank reward when the mission ends, you don't get it even if you qualify?

Nooooo you totally do. I do it all the time to get A ranks with sucky characters on maps where you're allowed to use more than one dude.

Sheik does all the work, Agitha gets the prize.

Pierson posted:

Wait how does this trick work? Because I'm at that tile now and Agitha suuuucks.

You grab a second controller or split the Joycons, have Player 2 join, pick their character to someone good, go hide Agitha in a corner somewhere, and have Good Character do all the work. This is especially easy in quiz maps because there are no random mooks running around.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rirse posted:

Where is Linkle level 2 boots at?

Also I just grabbed Lana great sea costume, which is it me or she looks like Terra from FF6 with it?

Is that the one that gives her green hair? That's my preferred outfit for her because it kinda makes her look like Saria.

Who should have been in this game instead of her, or at least should have had the Deku Stick. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

HyWar Impa looks more like Skyward Sword Impa to me. Totally agreed about Groose though. Why can't we have both? I just really dislike Lana.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

Lana is cool and strong and my friend, and I will not hear any disagreement.

If she would shut up, I would agree with you. I can't stand her voice. She's fun to play but I HATE listening to her.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Meh. I like her better than Linkle, probably because of the magic user vibe she has going for her.

Fite me, Linkle is the best.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

CaptainRat posted:

Castlevania might not have enough weapon variety (100 whip users!) but I would still like to kill thousands of skeletons with Shanoa.

I haven't played many Castlevanias, but I think there are plenty of not-whip users to be had.

Dawn of Sorrow had a bunch of weapons, plus the whole Soul system. Lots of options for movesets there. Then there was that girl... Maria(?) who summoned dragons and birds and monkeys and poo poo. That'd be rad in a Warriors game. And the Charlotte part of the Charlotte!Jonathan! duo used magic.

If you throw in the sub weapons like the cross and the throwing potions and stuff... there still not a whole lot of variety but you could make it work, maybe?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

b_d posted:

this mission for the rank 3 spinner is my first “don’t get hit” mission and it seems very hard to a-rank. especially with sheik as the boss. are there any tips or cheeses for this

This worked in the 3DS version. I dunno if they nerfed it, but the water fairy gets an ability that creates a water shield around you, just like Sheik's water shield. It blocks attacks. It won't save you from much, but it'll save you from that ONE lousy mook that scratched you while you were busy fighting something else. Another thing that's supposed to be helpful is an item power up potion (or something similar) and spam the Light Arrows at everything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I got this on 3DS and it was kinda neat, never had played a Warriors game before. Tempted to upgrade to this and sell my 3DS copy since I never use the thing anymore. Did they change a lot? I didn't get that far, but Linkle was by far the best thing about the game.

In addition to what other folks mentioned, you can now straight up buy Item Cards in Adventure mode, provided you've picked up that particular item at least once. This is a huge QoL change and it makes Adventure Mode WAY more straight forward.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Leal posted:

Double Bombos faeries are loving amazing. Feed your faeries fire based food between 1-50.

How do you tell what type the food is? I used to be able to tell in the 3DS version but I can't for the life of me find where it tells you that in the Switch one.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I gave my husband's little brother my copy of the original Wii U version for his birthday because I don't need it anymore.

All excited, he asked if I would play with him. I said sure! All he had was a Wii remote and nunchuk for me to use but the game box says you can use those so I figured that was no problem.

I was wrong. I was SO SO wrong. I had forgotten that if you use the Wiimote you have to use loving waggle for normal attacks. WAGGLE. For NORMAL ATTACKS. You know, those things you spam all the time and need actual timing for to pull off combos?! I NOPED so hard. My arm would be ready to fall off after just one map. Next time I'll make sure my Pro Controllers are actually charged, because sweet Christ that is some bullshit.

The l little guy was still thrilled though. He beat the first Adventure square himself. :3: Wizzro is his favorite.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Speaking of the Imprisoned in that mission, I had a go at doing the Hard Skultulla for it last night and boy did I fail miserably. You have to use the Magic Rod and kill the Imprisoned within 10 minutes. I whaled on his toes and blew my specials on his WPG and even with a dose of the Groosenator he was still left with a good chunk of health left after my 10 minutes were up. And he takes waaaaaaaay too long to get to the second Groosenator.

Any tips... or should I just go and nab a better Magic Rod? I was still using the level 1.

(P.S. the Imprisioned SUCKS.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bakalakadaka posted:

Zant is weird but real entertaining.

Also tell me how to Ruto I have way more trouble doing anything with her than any other character and I've played all 3 versions of this dumb game.

I'm by no means an expert, but I do very well as Ruto. My two favorite combos are... I never can get the C numbers straight in my brain by regular, regular, strong- second combo, which I just spam while I'm plowing through mooks. For crowd clearing and taking over keeps, you want to do her last combo 5 regular attacks and a strong, which summons a big ol' tidal wave. It hits over a ginourmous area and builds your special meter like whoa. Then find the nearest captain and unload that special!

She's not very good at single target stuff, but her third(?) combo is all right for it. The one where she summons a mini exploding bubble. When her meter is full, aim her at a big crowd and spam the strong attack. It does massive knockback and finishes with a small wave.

Anyway, that's how I Ruto and I find her fun to play as.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Currently only need Link's Master Sword, Lana's Lv. 2 Spear, Darunia's Lv. 4 Hammer, Ruto's Lv 2 and Lv. 4 Zora Scales, Cia's Lv. 4 Scepter, Twili Midna's Lv. 3 Mirror, and Linkle's Lv. 2 Crossbows, to have all the weapons in the game.

For purposes of unlocking the Master Sword, do you need to get all the lv 2 weapons and such, or will it count if I jump right to a higher level weapon?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bakalakadaka posted:

Well I guess you can tell I never upgraded it and don't really use Link outside his weapon missions lmao.

I don't use the Master Sword much either, not even as a "gently caress it I just want to clear this mission" weapon. For that I use Sheik. :v:

I agree that Link's other weapons are just straight up more fun. The Master Sword is boring. Why would I haul around a generic boring sword when I could surf around on a giant Beyblade that shoots lightning beams? Or fling Bow-Wow in thing's faces and drop giant pillars on 'em? Or hell just ride into battle on Epona. If I'm going to use a boring sword, at least let me bring my horse buddy too.

Oh poo poo I just realized. Are Link's Lv 4 Gauntlets still Bow-Wow? :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Still Bow-Wow.

Oh thank Christ. Everything is right with the world!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Finally got my Switch back from repairs so I can resume tackling those Hard Skulltulas!

I looked up the location of the lv 2 Magic Rod but everything goes by grid numbers, and none of the guides bothered to say how they numbered the grid. On the Great Sea Map, is F-14 (the location of the Magic Rod) along the right edge? There is a weapon for Link there, but Link has a million weapons.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zore posted:

It is so much easier now though. In the original/Legends you had to A rank it to progress which was locked behind 10 hearts of damage.

:shepicide:

I did it in one go with the requirements loosened in Ultimate.

Imagine how much worse it would have been in the original version where you could only ever take off half the Imprisoned's WPG in one go. Ever. He would automatically get back up when it emptied halfway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

tithin posted:

1/3 in wiiu
1/2 in 3ds
1 go in definitive

Um, what? No, it wasn't. It was half in Wii U and then removed entirely in 3DS, and hasn't been back since. Thank CHRIST.

Oxxidation posted:

that and the health loss threshold for A rank is now so high that it might as well not even exist, which is ideal

And there's actually a benefit to picking up Heart Containers/Pieces, now! Truly this is the Definitive Edition of this fine game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got the lv 2 Magic Rod and I finally got that Hard Skulltula in the Sealed Grounds. The one where you have to do a bunch of poo poo and then beat the Imprisoned in 10 minutes. Yeah, that one sucks.

Even with the lv 2 a weak point smasher barely did any damage to the bastard. I probably could have had an easier time of it if I had Bombos on any of my fairies, but the game has refused to give me any food my fire fairy likes so not even she has it yet! :argh:

Anyway I'm glad that's out of the way. The Imprisoned really is the worst.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DontMindMe posted:

I ended up doing hard skulltulas in free mode since I could bring my very high level sheik and than bring the required character/weapon in second slot and then never use them.

What. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???!! WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME. This whole time I could have been dropping Sheik and her Lv 4 harp having nuke rear end on the problem?! gently caress.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with whoever came up with the hard Skulltula in Linkle’s second level. Don’t let Darunia get in danger, but you have to wait for these loving engineers to waltz up to the door to the water temple and open it but their terrible AI has them standing around scratching their butts most of the time or if there is one single Bokoblin left they wait until it is dead or try to punch it and oh my god you fucker just MOVE PLEASE

Oh god that map. Yeah that was... I hesitate to say the worst because any map that makes you kill the Imprisoned on a tight time limit were the worst. And there were several of those.

I've collected all the hard Skultullas now except for the ones on the Wind Waker maps. The end is in sight!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am hype! So very hype! Too much to hope Groose will make it in, probably?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

no reason they couldn't add more in adventure mode.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. The story mode will play everything very straight, but they'll still have an Adventure mode with a bunch of wacky fun characters. Like Groose.

Unreal_One posted:

Mipha is such a milquetoast character I never got the love. Urbosa and Sidon, now, that's the good poo poo.

Hellioning posted:

I'm just glad we get more Mipha and Urbosa.

Unbelievable that there is no love here for best birb Revali. I am very disappointed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mastajake posted:

I believe Master Kohga is a title (as opposed to Master being the title).

Ah, so kind of like the Dread Pirate Roberts. If you have the job, you get the name.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Scrap Dragon posted:

Impa gets a lot more useable when you realize her C4 combo absorbs all the symbols you’ve set at once

I can never get usual Warriors lingo into my thick skull. Is that 3 normal attacks and a strong one, or 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zore posted:

God, Revali is such an rear end in a top hat, it's kinda great.

It's also neat to see which animations they repurposed from the original Hyrule Warriors. Mipha gets Ruto's flying/swimming and interestingly a lot of Volga's incidental spear movement. Our new OG baddie seems to have a lot of Cia's DNA in his moveset, Link's spear has a bunch from Ganondorf's Trident etc.

I love Revali so much. :allears: