Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
page 2 snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
would his plea deal have required him to admit that the law was just in some way

typically they have you apologize or something when you admit guilt iirc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol i just looked it up and the federal rear end in a top hat prosecutor who got him killed was not asked to resign by obama despite the outcry, but still ended up going into early retirement right before trump took office

also wtf

Carmen Ortiz's husband, IBM executive Tom Dolan, replied through his own Twitter feed, @TomJDolan, "Truly incredible that in their own son's obit they blame others for his death and make no mention of the 6 month offer."[76]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lmao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
nerds would send death threats like that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
he wouldn't have served 35 years in prison. 35 years is what you get if you take the maximum sentence on all of his offenses and add them together. in reality probably all of those sentences would have been served concurrently and even under the max sentences he'd be facing something like 5 years in prison, and almost certainly way less

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

nerds would send death threats like that

bottom right corner

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
death threat decison tree:

from nerds on the internet?
are you a woman?
RUN
are you a man
lol nerds aint gonna do poo poo
from anyone else
should probably contact the authorities

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

he wouldn't have served 35 years in prison. 35 years is what you get if you take the maximum sentence on all of his offenses and add them together. in reality probably all of those sentences would have been served concurrently and even under the max sentences he'd be facing something like 5 years in prison, and almost certainly way less

he would have served 6 months.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i think he should’ve taken the 6 months, which would still suck and feel like eternity in prison, but it would’ve been a worthwhile sacrifice and could have easily continued a long and awesome life

that said, for him it may have been unimaginably stressful to face the police, fbi and the court so much that he felt he couldn’t take it and killed himself. this is a situation that almost no one in the world faces, and they were over the top and abusive. after his death, laws changed that minimized the penalties for crimes similar to his. the ones that brought these charges are psychopaths and probably don’t have an ounce of care that he died. they’re at fault for his death

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 24, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Carmen Ortiz, the federal prosecutor who hounded Aaron Swartz in the months before his Friday suicide, has released a statement arguing that "this office’s conduct was appropriate in bringing and handling this case." She says that she recognized that Swartz's crimes were not serious, and as a result she sought "an appropriate sentence that matched the alleged conduct – a sentence that we would recommend to the judge of six months in a low security setting."

That's funny because the press release her office released in 2011 says that Swartz "faces up to 35 years in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release, restitution, forfeiture and a fine of up to $1 million." And she apparently didn't think even that was enough, because last year her office piled on even more charges, for a theoretical maximum of more than 50 years in jail.

If Ortiz thought Swartz only deserved to spend 6 months in jail, why did she charge him with crimes carrying a maximum penalty of 50 years?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

lancemantis posted:

death threat decison tree:

from nerds on the internet?
are you a woman?
RUN
are you a man
lol nerds aint gonna do poo poo
from anyone else
should probably contact the authorities
internet nerds are too feckless to kill whether you're a woman or not

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they can only kill billions of their potential children

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Carmen Ortiz, the federal prosecutor who hounded Aaron Swartz in the months before his Friday suicide, has released a statement arguing that "this office’s conduct was appropriate in bringing and handling this case." She says that she recognized that Swartz's crimes were not serious, and as a result she sought "an appropriate sentence that matched the alleged conduct – a sentence that we would recommend to the judge of six months in a low security setting."

That's funny because the press release her office released in 2011 says that Swartz "faces up to 35 years in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release, restitution, forfeiture and a fine of up to $1 million." And she apparently didn't think even that was enough, because last year her office piled on even more charges, for a theoretical maximum of more than 50 years in jail.

If Ortiz thought Swartz only deserved to spend 6 months in jail, why did she charge him with crimes carrying a maximum penalty of 50 years?

hmm. weird that internet nerds don't understand the basics of negotiation.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

prosecutors’ job is to prosecute if there is evidence of crime. they don’t get to decide what’s enough, that’s judges and juries. any judge looking at this would have said there’s not really 50 years worth of crime here, so let’s cut this down to something reasonable. if they honestly thought they could convict the guy for 50 years in prison, they would not have offered him a six month plea.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
attempting to force a plea via overcharging is unethical as hell

part of the outcry against this case was from other prosecutors who pointed to how this was egregiously against federal guidelines and how the feds were even callous when informed that the accused was a suicide risk

instead they told him to expect seven years of prison if he didn’t take the plea, if he wanted a trial. that’s unethical

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

attempting to force a plea via overcharging is unethical as hell

part of the outcry against this case was from other prosecutors who pointed to how this was egregiously against federal guidelines and how the feds were even callous when informed that the accused was a suicide risk

instead they told him to expect seven years of prison if he didn’t take the plea, if he wanted a trial. that’s unethical

this happens constantly to people who aren't rich and white and nobody bats an eyelash

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

this happens constantly to people who aren't rich and white and nobody bats an eyelash

no you see this guy was special because ethical hacking

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

yeah it's absolutely terrible and one good thing that could've come from this was making more people aware of it

also aaron swartz was jewish iirc

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also aaron swartz was jewish iirc
well there's a marginalized group disproportionately targeted by our justice system :rolleyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sham bam bamina! posted:

well there's a marginalized group disproportionately targeted by our justice system :rolleyes:

according to the ADL it's a huge problem that the police ignore antisemitic hate crimes and there's certainly widespread jury bias against them

historically in the american legal profession itself there was enormous discrimination against jews, which is why there are now distinctly jewish law firms, since no one else would hire them

yeah i can see anyone in law enforcement treating someone like that just like any other white guy. sure.

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 24, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
fair enough

ed: lol @ adding "sure." after the ninja window

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i got my negatives wrong like a dumbass

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah but that's back before they all decided to pretend to be nice to jews so they can bring forth the rapture and burn in hell like they're supposed to

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Management posted:

no you see this guy was special because ethical hacking

You can say something is bad even when something else is also bad. Congrats on having the cognitive abilities of a preschooler ps.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Salt Fish posted:

You can say something is bad even when something else is also bad. Congrats on having the cognitive abilities of a preschooler ps.

I agree, your posting is bad and so is excessive punishment. but caring about some dude who thought he was data Robin Hood and self terminated when the heat was on, despite having a lousy but much better than death or life in prison plea option before him, is probably the worst.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
was that why he did it? i thought he was trying to undermine JSTOR's defacto copyright infringement upon the owners of the contents of its library

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Management posted:

I agree, your posting is bad and so is excessive punishment. but caring about some dude who thought he was data Robin Hood and self terminated when the heat was on, despite having a lousy but much better than death or life in prison plea option before him, is probably the worst.

This is the political equivalent of being the kid in gym class who was "too cool" to try at dodgeball.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lancemantis posted:

yeah but that's back before they all decided to pretend to be nice to jews so they can bring forth the rapture and burn in hell like they're supposed to

youve got to break a few eggs to make an omelette

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
monkey's paw: aaron lived, went to prison, and became a nazi like weev

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Management posted:

yeah that guy was the worst. he was going through a living nightmare making him feel worthless and committed suicide. never heard of that before!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
aaron's only crime was hanging out with quinn norton (who ratted him out)

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 25, 2018

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
may the Swartz be with youuu

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i am writing some code where i need to have the most cutting-edge performance. after searching and searching i finally found a paper someone wrote about doing exactly the thing i am doing, but gotcha! it is behind a paywall and i can only read the abstract! $90 a year??? outrageous!!! i don't want to spend $90 on a piece of paper!
i guess what i am try8ng to say op is could you tell mr szwarts to please steal that paper for me? tia

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

The Management posted:

prosecutors’ job is to prosecute if there is evidence of crime.

Good job erasing prosecutorial discretion from the equation. Go read about the new Philly DA and why he chose to run and make the commitments he did; it's loving great stuff and you'll learn a bunch

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
too bad he didn’t live to see scihub

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
i think he was great and what he did was ethically right and i am really loving sad that he made the decision to die when his sentence would likely have been minimal. its just a tragedy all round because it would likely have been a total non-issue within a few years of him leaving prison.

the documentary about him is great and it is excruciating watching his ex crying about how hard it was to rat him out

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

bicycle posted:

the documentary about him is great and it is excruciating watching his ex crying about how hard it was to rat him out

so why did she rat him out

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
honestly probably the same kind of low key lawyer pressure that caused swartz to kill himself :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

because she’s scum. reminder that she got fired from her big tech journo gig in under a day for being a Nazi

• Locked thread