Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



It's morning in Zelkor's Ferry, the tiny waystop on the Canyon River. You've arrived recently, seeking fortune and fame in the fabled dungeon of graves, Rappan Athuk. Zelkor's Ferry was a bit of a shock--not a bustling frontier town, but a sleepy cluster of ramshackle buildings huddling behind a slightly overgrown wall. The people were friendly, if guarded, and your stay has been pleasant so far. Finding some like-minded compatriots at the Bristleback--the sole inn and tavern in the Ferry--you've gathered at the gate, poised to head out into the wilds around the Ferry.

The innkeep and his wife, clearly having seen adventurers before, were free with information about the surrounding area.


Odo Bristleback, innkeeper

"Adventure, eh? Death's more likely, but you might be lucky, at that. Most head toward the so-called Mouth o' Doom, though few enough come back. You'd need to head upriver on the Old Path, then follow the stream at the ford. Ye'll come to a fork; take the left fork. There's a big hill, and the Mouth's somewhere up there, best I know. There's an old ruined cottage at the base of the hill near where the Mouth is. That's where you should head up from the stream.

Mmm, mmm, what else to test yourselves? Ahh, yes, heard tale of a group that found a new entrance to Rappan Athuk downriver, in an old keep near the Fens. You'll need to head cross the Canyon and follow it toward the marshes. You'll see the towers up a hill. Don't go into the Fens themselves, though, we've heard that the trolls have been riled up by something and they're watching the river close.

Trapper came in this morning, said he'd passed by the old monastery up the creek a couple miles, saw some shadowy types moving around. He kept clear, but there's been rumors of treasure buried there since before Orcus' boys razed the place.

Big bunch headed up toward the old elven manor this morning, just missed 'em. Haven't heard from 'em yet, but it's early still."

As everyone gathers just inside the gate, you must decide where to start your tale!

These dungeons are "warmups" for the main area of Rappan Athuk, to get everyone in a decent state of mind. They're all within a morning's travel of Zelkor's Ferry. I'm generally going to elide overland journeys unless you all decide to make it the focus--e.g., if you decide to travel to the most well-known entrace to Rappan Athuk, that's a multiple-day trip and we'll play that out.

In general, I assume things in regular text are IC and italics are OOC. Please put your character's name in bold at the top of your posts. When we get into combat, if you want to track your current HP and any status effects under your character's name that'd be handy, but it's not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs

"Kirk wee jimmies cannae barnie an' ur easy tae rob. Ah say we kick their erse an' melt their gold."

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME




Thistle Girdwood

"Monasteries... last one I been to thought I was possessed, tried to exorcise me. Pah! A few novices shan't be much trouble..."

cat_herder fucked around with this message at May 23, 2018 around 01:03

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008



Bastian


"I hear there is an old elven manor a day or twos ride from here....in it antiques or magical items of great value. Elves typically have an affinity for things like that. We could make a pretty penny flipping them to a interested parties....perhaps there is something from the past that could help us in the future?

I'm of the opinion that a bunch of monks won't have anything worthwhile, but I can't abide trappers. If we go to the monastery I say we give that group a scare and shake them down. Let that be a lesson on how to treat animals. I can't even understand that human. Is he drunk? I'm all for kicking rear end and melting gold....."

Waroduce fucked around with this message at May 23, 2018 around 04:50

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME


Thistle Girdwood



"Elves sound like work, 'nd the other group sounds like trouble. Besides, aren't ye stealin' from kin? Our friend here," Thistle drapes an arm across Blaxton's shoulders. "Our friend here from the isles decided to drink a couple o' gits under the table last eve, so let him be. I'll interpret: Altar boys don't put up any fight, so we're gonna give them what-for 'nd take their gold. Yer trapper's probably long gone."

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



Kithe Lutenec

"There are better uses for our talents than assaulting a house like common brigands. If it's money your after, the abandoned keep may afford entrance to lower levels of the necropolis where--if rumour deserves credence--there is an unguarded storeroom full to the brim with treasure. A brief excursion to the temple could be termed a public service."

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007


Fallen Rib


Taine

The halfling shrugs.

“Well, that old monastery sounds like a fine place to start looking, if y’ask me. Whoever’s skulking about those ruins can probably point us in the right direction, given some...persuasion.”

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME


Thistle Girdwood



"Abandoned keep and a whole storeroom of treasure sound mighty temptin', but I'd like to have better duds afore we approach any necropoli. Won't say no to anythin' good we find along the way, of course..."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...


Doctor Rope

Ronelon Nornole


Ronelon hadn't spoke so much as he did nod and smile while he eyed his "companions" possessions.

"Ah yes, that sounds good.... Oh there? Yes, hmm that works too..."

Fine with wherever. Sorry, muted server on accident.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

Setting out, the Red Right Hand cross the tributary and head upstream, following a narrow trail that winds along side the watercourse. After several hours of tramping through the slightly rolling forest, you come to a clearing with the overgrown remains of what must be the old monastery clearly visible. After a quick pass through the modest ruins, you're fairly sure it's been abandoned for quite some time--at a minimum, several decades. There's barely a standing wall, and the undergrowth is very thick in places.

In what must have been the central courtyard of the monastery, however, you find a crumbling and worn statue standing over a suspiciously-cleared set of steps leading down into the earth below the ruins. Carved into the statue's plinth is "Galyx the Gray," though the sculpture is too time-weathered to make out any detail beyond a generally human stature.

Ok, stairwell's ten feet wide, need a marching order for you guys and whether you're lighting any torches or lanterns, and we're off.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs

"Time tae kick them in th' baws, lae ay ye can follaw if ye arenae jessy."

Lighting a lantern and hanging it from the top right of my pack, hefting axe and shield. Entering without waiting to see who follows.

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME


Thistle Girdwood



Thistle grins and pulls her longbow over her shoulder, a few arrows tucked between her fingers. She lights her lantern and dangles it from the pole strapped to her gear, and with a cackle she follows Blaxton down the stairs. "Oi, wait up, save some for me!"

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007


Fallen Rib


Taine

Taine follows closely behind, spear at the ready.

“Charging in blindly, eh? That just so happens to be my favorite strategy in any given situation.”

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...


Doctor Rope

Ronelon Nornole


Ronelon fell in line with the others following behind the lead. He had to make sure they didn't fall into any pits, get impaled by spikes, or have their faces melted from surprise acid. No one, NO ONE, likes surprise acid.

A cautious eye on the path Ronelon moved forward with confidence.

rolled a 10 on the d100, but it has occurred to me that the threshold for my 20% might be 80+ and not 1-20

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Blaxton and Thistle bound down the worn stairs, brushing aside a few hanging vines. The others bring up the rear, advancing perhaps a tad cautiously behind the eager pair.

The stairs themselves have obviously seen a fair bit of use, but it's hard to tell if it's recent or not. The corridor that opens out before you as you reach the bottom is worked stone, though the grime and damp has stained it. Moss grows here and there between the fitted stone; it's obviously been abandoned for a significant period of time.

Ahead, you can see what looks to be a T-intersection, while an archway to your right opens out just after the stairway ends.

Hopefully figured out the light sources and vision. *crosses fingers*

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs

Pop the corner without hesitation, shield and axe ready


Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...


Doctor Rope

Ronelon Nornole

Ronelon pauses and listens closely.

5 in disc.

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME


Thistle Girdwood



The right archway looks as likely as the hall, and Thistle likes to be thorough when she explores places. She nocks an arrow and follows Blaxton around the corner, the dangling lantern casting wild shadows everywhere.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Scurrying down the hall, you round the corner and come into a large room, divided up with thick pillars. The pillars are intricately decorated with carved bas-reliefs, though it's a bit hard to make out the subjects, given the grime and general degradation of things here.

Elonron, straining his ears, makes out some faint scratching and squeaking noises coming from somewhere in the room...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs

Im going to keep zergrushing until I make contact or we clear the house

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME




Thistle Girdwood

Pillars mean places to hide, and Thistle keeps her back to the wall, stepping into the corner behind Blaxton. From here she's got a pretty decent view of the room, but for the places hidden behind the pillars, and she eyes the shadows suspiciously, ready to shoot first and ask questions later.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at May 29, 2018 around 01:18

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



Kithe Lutenec

"I would advise caution..." she whispers after Blaxton, before realizing that he probably can't hear her and definitely wouldn't heed her. She follows along in rank, and readies a sling stone.

I will have Locate Animals prepared, by the way. Forgot to do that.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Ronelon's still hearing the scratching and squeaking; he's fairly sure it's in the opposite corner and perhaps getting closer..

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...


Doctor Rope

Ronelon Nornole

Ronelon whispers to the others as they press on eagerly.

"Take caution, I hear something. Shh! Listen..."

Following with a safe distance between himself and the meatbags adventurers, Ronelon begins to move quietly, ready to slink into the shadows if there was suddenly a need.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs

"Come haur ye wee little beasties! Ife got somethin' tae pit in ye."



... also, we seem to have lost a rearguard ...

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...


Doctor Rope

Ronelon Nornole

Ronelon moved to the pillar and nocked an arrow in his bow. A fight was imminent.

Pressing up against the pillar ready to offer ranged support

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007


Fallen Rib


Taine

Taine follows Blaxton, covering the right hand side of the tunnel with her spear ready to strike.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



Kithe Lutenec

"Foolishness!" Well, why use magic to flush out danger when you can just send someone running and screaming downrange? "At this range, we can pick them off if they can't charge," she says to Ronelon.

taking up position next to Ronelon, readying a sling shot.

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME




Thistle Girdwood

Arrow nocked, bow up, keeping an eye on the shadows. This is a pretty good spot to stay in if there's a battle; cornered, but the door is a few short steps away. Arrows might maybe be overkill on small animals, but she can retrieve any that don't break, surely? Unless it's large, the others can likely take care of things.

Ready action, shoot first enemy I see.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Blaxton rounds the pillar, mirrored by Ronelon on the other side. The others follow, though Thistle crouches in the corner, waiting with arrow nocked.

The light reveals first seven pairs of red eyes staring at you all, then shows the forms of seven giant rats behind those eyes. With a screech, the pile of dog-sized rats charges forward at Blaxton.

Combat!

For reference, these are the steps (remember, a round is a minute):

1) Check for surprise. You heard them, and they certainly heard you, so no surprise here.
2) Declare spells. Spellcasters need to declare what spell they're casting. If you're currently in melee, you can't cast a spell. If you get engaged before your spell goes off, you lose the cast if you get hit for damage.
3) Determine initiative. Once the spellcasters decide, we roll 1d6 for each side; whoever rolls higher wins and goes first.
4) Movement and missile fire. All movement and missile fire occurs. Starting with the side that won initiative, any creatures move and/or conduct missile fire, followed by the side that lost initiative. It's entirely up to the party what order they act in. Yes, you can move and fire your missile weapon, though you're not going to be able to run.
5) Melee combat and spells. Again, first the side that won initiative, then the other side goes, in any order they choose. Melee attacks happen, and spells complete casting and take effect.

So, declare spells, please!



Combat map for the start--you won initiative!

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2018 around 01:48

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME




Thistle Girdwood

No spells from me this round.

This corner spot is boring and it sounds like the rats are directly on the other side of the pillar. Well, that won't do at all. Thistle leaves her spot to take up a new, roving position behind Taine and Blaxton, the rats finally visible in the sooty light of her lantern. With a grin, Thistle brings up her bow and fires at two of them...



Rat 1: 1d20 RRH Thistle vs Rat 1 = (15) = 15
Rat 2: 1d20 RRH Thistle vs Rat 2 = (12) = 12

repeat (1d6, 2) = (2) = 2, (4) = 4


The first rat is nicely wounded, and the second actually dies. Too bad it's so early in the day, or she'd collect the corpse for stew later.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs



Accompanied by wordless screaming

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007


Fallen Rib


Taine
HP: 9/9 AC: 16

Taine launches herself at the nearest rat and jabs at it with her spear, but only manages to hit the floor a few inches to the side of it.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2018 around 14:34

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



Kithe Lutenec
HP: 6, AC: 13
"My sylvan mysteries are of less use than an insensate pebble!" She dashes forward, cutting a sharp curve around the wall and drops into a crouch where Blaxton once stood, launching a stone at the nearest rat.


Move to AF10, attack Rat #1

Attack: 2

Pretty sure I missed

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings...


Doctor Rope

Ronelon Nornole
Arrows: 18/20

A small horde of over-sized vermin. Not his first go with the rat folk.

Indiscriminately, Ronelon loosed two arrows.

The first at the rodent directly in his line of sight, the next Taine's target.

Shhhh-thuunkk! Shhh-thhhkkK!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



The rats, seemingly not dismayed in the slightest by the withering barrage of arrows or the feral light in Blaxton's eyes, crowd over the still-twitching corpses of their packmates, clawing at scratching at the two in front of them.

Good show with the arrows; melee time (if you haven't already rolled/posted)!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.





Blaxton Knibbs

9/9 HP, 15 AC, 14 Save

Swinging wildly at the rats around him!

1d20+1 Blaxton vs Rat = (20)+1 = 21
1d8+1 damage = (7)+1 = 8

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde


Start of round 2

The rats, taken aback by the furious onslaught, gnaw and claw ineffectually at the two mailed warriors, though one nearly latches onto Taine's wrist.

Sidekick doesn't like me, either.

Ok, new round. Spell declaration, please.

cat_herder
Mar 16, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME




Thistle Girdwood

No spells from me this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

The Hand has won initiative; missile fire and movement, please. See the map a couple of posts back for current positions and such.

  • Locked thread
«2 »