Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



It's morning in Zelkor's Ferry, the tiny waystop on the Canyon River. You've arrived recently, seeking fortune and fame in the fabled dungeon of graves, Rappan Athuk. Zelkor's Ferry was a bit of a shock--not a bustling frontier town, but a sleepy cluster of ramshackle buildings huddling behind a slightly overgrown wall. The people were friendly, if guarded, and your stay has been pleasant so far. Finding some like-minded compatriots at the Bristleback--the sole inn and tavern in the Ferry--you've gathered at the gate, poised to head out into the wilds around the Ferry.

The innkeep and his wife, clearly having seen adventurers before, were free with information about the surrounding area.


Odo Bristleback, innkeeper

"Adventure, eh? Death's more likely, but you might be lucky, at that. Most head toward the so-called Mouth o' Doom, though few enough come back. You'd need to head upriver on the Old Path, then follow the stream at the ford. Ye'll come to a fork; take the left fork. There's a big hill, and the Mouth's somewhere up there, best I know. There's an old ruined cottage at the base of the hill near where the Mouth is. That's where you should head up from the stream.

Mmm, mmm, what else to test yourselves? Ahh, yes, heard tale of a group that found a new entrance to Rappan Athuk downriver, in an old keep near the Fens. You'll need to head cross the Canyon and follow it toward the marshes. You'll see the towers up a hill. Don't go into the Fens themselves, though, we've heard that the trolls have been riled up by something and they're watching the river close.

Trapper came in this morning, said he'd passed by the old monastery up the creek a couple miles, saw some shadowy types moving around. He kept clear, but there's been rumors of treasure buried there since before Orcus' boys razed the place.

Big bunch headed up toward the old elven manor this morning, just missed 'em. Haven't heard from 'em yet, but it's early still."

As everyone gathers just inside the gate, you must decide where to start your tale!

These dungeons are "warmups" for the main area of Rappan Athuk, to get everyone in a decent state of mind. They're all within a morning's travel of Zelkor's Ferry. I'm generally going to elide overland journeys unless you all decide to make it the focus--e.g., if you decide to travel to the most well-known entrace to Rappan Athuk, that's a multiple-day trip and we'll play that out.

In general, I assume things in regular text are IC and italics are OOC. Please put your character's name in bold at the top of your posts. When we get into combat, if you want to track your current HP and any status effects under your character's name that'd be handy, but it's not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

Setting out, the Red Right Hand cross the tributary and head upstream, following a narrow trail that winds along side the watercourse. After several hours of tramping through the slightly rolling forest, you come to a clearing with the overgrown remains of what must be the old monastery clearly visible. After a quick pass through the modest ruins, you're fairly sure it's been abandoned for quite some time--at a minimum, several decades. There's barely a standing wall, and the undergrowth is very thick in places.

In what must have been the central courtyard of the monastery, however, you find a crumbling and worn statue standing over a suspiciously-cleared set of steps leading down into the earth below the ruins. Carved into the statue's plinth is "Galyx the Gray," though the sculpture is too time-weathered to make out any detail beyond a generally human stature.

Ok, stairwell's ten feet wide, need a marching order for you guys and whether you're lighting any torches or lanterns, and we're off.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Blaxton and Thistle bound down the worn stairs, brushing aside a few hanging vines. The others bring up the rear, advancing perhaps a tad cautiously behind the eager pair.

The stairs themselves have obviously seen a fair bit of use, but it's hard to tell if it's recent or not. The corridor that opens out before you as you reach the bottom is worked stone, though the grime and damp has stained it. Moss grows here and there between the fitted stone; it's obviously been abandoned for a significant period of time.

Ahead, you can see what looks to be a T-intersection, while an archway to your right opens out just after the stairway ends.

Hopefully figured out the light sources and vision. *crosses fingers*

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Scurrying down the hall, you round the corner and come into a large room, divided up with thick pillars. The pillars are intricately decorated with carved bas-reliefs, though it's a bit hard to make out the subjects, given the grime and general degradation of things here.

Elonron, straining his ears, makes out some faint scratching and squeaking noises coming from somewhere in the room...

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Ronelon's still hearing the scratching and squeaking; he's fairly sure it's in the opposite corner and perhaps getting closer..

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Blaxton rounds the pillar, mirrored by Ronelon on the other side. The others follow, though Thistle crouches in the corner, waiting with arrow nocked.

The light reveals first seven pairs of red eyes staring at you all, then shows the forms of seven giant rats behind those eyes. With a screech, the pile of dog-sized rats charges forward at Blaxton.

Combat!

For reference, these are the steps (remember, a round is a minute):

1) Check for surprise. You heard them, and they certainly heard you, so no surprise here.
2) Declare spells. Spellcasters need to declare what spell they're casting. If you're currently in melee, you can't cast a spell. If you get engaged before your spell goes off, you lose the cast if you get hit for damage.
3) Determine initiative. Once the spellcasters decide, we roll 1d6 for each side; whoever rolls higher wins and goes first.
4) Movement and missile fire. All movement and missile fire occurs. Starting with the side that won initiative, any creatures move and/or conduct missile fire, followed by the side that lost initiative. It's entirely up to the party what order they act in. Yes, you can move and fire your missile weapon, though you're not going to be able to run.
5) Melee combat and spells. Again, first the side that won initiative, then the other side goes, in any order they choose. Melee attacks happen, and spells complete casting and take effect.

So, declare spells, please!



Combat map for the start--you won initiative!

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2018 around 01:48

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



The rats, seemingly not dismayed in the slightest by the withering barrage of arrows or the feral light in Blaxton's eyes, crowd over the still-twitching corpses of their packmates, clawing at scratching at the two in front of them.

Good show with the arrows; melee time (if you haven't already rolled/posted)!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde


Start of round 2

The rats, taken aback by the furious onslaught, gnaw and claw ineffectually at the two mailed warriors, though one nearly latches onto Taine's wrist.

Sidekick doesn't like me, either.

Ok, new round. Spell declaration, please.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

The Hand has won initiative; missile fire and movement, please. See the map a couple of posts back for current positions and such.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

The rats spasm one final time, impaled on Thistle's arrows. One gnaws feebly at Taine's boot while expiring, leaving a slobbery trail of bloody mucous.

And with that, combat's over. As noted in the discord, going forward we'll do an alternate combat sequence:

a) roll initiative
b) winner of initiative chooses to act or delay
c) if they choose to act, the winner does all movement and attacks, if they delay the loser does all movement and attacks
d) if the winner delayed they move and attack, otherwise the loser moves and attacks.

Basically, the winner of initiative can choose to do their stuff first or second. During your sides' turn, you all will have to figure out how to sequence your moves and stuff, if it's important--there's no set order within a given sides' turn. Ping me in discord if you have any questions.

Current map:


Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



Blaxton ducks his head around the corner, revealing a long corridor stretching to the edge of his light. It's not clear if there's another corridor opening further down--he think maybe but it's tough to tell.

Ronelon gathers up his arrows and tucks in behind Thistle.

From down the corridor you can smell a organic, briny scent, like rotting seawater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde



You advance through the tunnels, your breathing harsh in the relative quiet. From the circular room comes the faint sound of water dripping and there's obviously a hole in the ceiling--light is visible to Ronelon and the others as they pass.

Note that the coordinates have shifted slightly due to the Maptools screwup. Sorry, took me a bit to recreate things more or less how they were. Let me know if I screw up positioning.

  • Locked thread