Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not ready

work sucks and sometimes you just want to rant about it. well, look no further, this is the thread for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not ready

I’ll start. I work with autistic children and adults through a small agency. my client’s parents are divorced and his dad has always dicked me around with my hours. I’ve stayed flexible about my constantly changing schedule and his bs.

lately, my pay keeps getting cut. my boss will randomly only pay me respite wages ($4 less than my agreed upon hourly rate) or minimum wage because the system we use for notes and time sheets is hosed up.

I’m constantly losing money at this job. I have panic attacks regularly. I actually got hired as a tutor but I am waiting for their official offer. I went ahead and filled out my w9. the lady I need to talk to is on vacay for a week. I want to put in my notice so loving bad. hopefully in a week.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
you do know you don't have to do the two week notice right?

not ready

Putty posted:

you do know you don't have to do the two week notice right?

I need the references. I’ve been there a year. i already have huge gaps in my resume because of school and mental illness. I may not be able to handle it and just leave though.

alnilam

*reads thread title* i know

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

City of Glompton

for real though I'm sorry op, i hope you can find something better soon. thanks for the thread, im feelin it. I love my job and they're good to me, but it's been so busy this month that we're all overworked, and it makes me sad. also tired.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
undercut your boss and work directly for the client. start a business just like your bosses but put a+ in front of the name, so it's first in the phone book. buy a large wooden desk to put your feet on, and hire other people to work for you. when you talk to anyone, interrupt the conversation to take a phone call. fake it if you have to. this is important in business to make people know you are an important businessperson. finally, pay no one, and move to a sweet island.

srsly that sucks, im sorry. sounds like your boss is not compensating you for what sound like bookkeeping errors, which is likely a labor law violation in your posting zone.

if you're going to quit anyway, please report them if they won't compensate you. if you have any record of your agreed upon pay, and of hours worked, maybe you can get the state to send them a letter threatening fines or smth if they don't pay you. (source: i had to do this when a boss withheld my last 2 checks this one time that sucked.)

maybe you could qualify for unemployment assistance too, since not getting paid correctly is a good reason to quit and look for other work. future employers will likely be understanding if you speak well of the work you did there, but explain that you had to leave due to not being compensated for your work.

also, maybe you could get the difficult client to write you a reference letter, or agree to refer if called...

i really appreciate the field of work you're in, i'm sorry this is happening to you :glomp:

alnilam

Hugh Malone posted:

i really appreciate the field of work you're in, i'm sorry this is happening to you :glomp:

not ready

thanks for the kind words you all. :)

ghost emoji

oooOooOOOooh

Hugh Malone posted:

ya this. social workers are one of the most underappreciated and underpaid career paths imho. you guys should be making six figures. you guys and janitors/sanitation workers

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this post, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the post and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this post or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Manifisto

ghost emoji posted:

social workers are one of the most underappreciated and underpaid career paths imho

sadly, very true.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In jury duty a few weeks back the state DA's appeared so polished and clean while the public defenders looked like they were out of gas and their clothes were disheveled. It was a depressing visual metaphor.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

Work sucks a lot of the time. Our company had layoffs recently and they basically fired the one good friend I had left at the company that made the days go by a little more quickly. I'm slow to make new friends so little things like that really hurt. That plus the ever present feeling that the work my company is doing isn't making the world a better place, but is wholly concerned with making money and improving stock performance is pretty soul leeching.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

not ready

ghost emoji posted:

ya this. social workers are one of the most underappreciated and underpaid career paths imho. you guys should be making six figures. you guys and janitors/sanitation workers

I wouldn’t mind just 5 figures as long as it’s a living wage which is not what’s happening. also, good luck finding full time work or benefits in the mental health field. you’re right. I consider it to be v important work and that’s what feels good about it is I’m helping people, even if it’s in small ways. I need a “real” job but only have retail and this as experience. sometimes I feel like I’ve backed myself into a corner with my career choices and getting out to do something different seems nearly impossible.

not ready

Jolo posted:

Work sucks a lot of the time. Our company had layoffs recently and they basically fired the one good friend I had left at the company that made the days go by a little more quickly. I'm slow to make new friends so little things like that really hurt. That plus the ever present feeling that the work my company is doing isn't making the world a better place, but is wholly concerned with making money and improving stock performance is pretty soul leeching.

sorry your friend got laid off/fired. I know losing a friend or fellow hard worker kinda ruins the whole job. the people around you either make things bearable or unbearable. it sounds like you and your friend made things bearable for each other.

and yes, I find it nearly impossible to make new friends. I work alone, one on one with my clients so I can’t really make work friends. I’m too broke to afford night classes (and often get home too late) and I hate going to bars and especially clubs. not many options left. I think I mentioned in another thread that like everyone I know moved away at once. I don’t even know where to start to try to make new friends. that was one good thing about working retail, you meet people.

asciidic

lord of the valves

work is ok if you ask me

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
For every customer that tells me I don't smile enough, the world gets cursed with an additional two million years of darkness. #retailcrew

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Baller Ina

:whattheeucharist:
I know

She left me roses by the stairs

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Baller Ina posted:

I know

surprises let me know she cares

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Nonviolent J

by FactsAreUseless
cant belive the replaced tom

----------------

mags

Nonviolent J posted:

hes too busy looking for aliens

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

will anyone come and defend pop punk

paul_soccer12 posted:

poverty goat

Punk is dead

Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

hmmm

quite some time ago I saw the mr t experience and the groovie ghoulies live and they were both p good I guess

paramore has been making interesting music imo and that prolly wouldn't have happened without the success of their earlier style

welp thats my pop punk story, thanks for listening

ty nesamdoom!

Scaly Haylie

if i correctly understand the exchange i just experienced, a lady just asked me for a small fountain cup of mayonnaise from the kitchen.

Jolo

Lizard Wizard posted:

if i correctly understand the exchange i just experienced, a lady just asked me for a small fountain cup of mayonnaise from the kitchen.

My girl eats mayonnaise from a jar when she's gettin blazed

kalel

Escape work slavery and buy real estate

Slumpy

Baller Ina posted:

I know

mister magpie posted:

surprises let me know she cares

Nonviolent J posted:

mister magpie posted:

hes too busy looking for aliens

mister magpie posted:

poverty goat posted:

Punk is dead

remember the lyrics a bit different

slumpy

Scaly Haylie

burma shave

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

alnilam posted:

:smith:

----------------

Elephant Ambush

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Hell yeah

not ready

I have orientation at a tutoring place this week. I’m scared cause they can’t guarantee a set number of hours. all I need is 20 a week. but I’d get to help kids and teach art which is something I really want to do.

alnilam

teaching owns

alnilam

just to make sure there are no misunderstanding s I mean the act of teaching itself, is good, or "owns"

incidentally though i am available to teach people some sick owns, though that's not what i meant,

not ready

alnilam posted:

teaching owns

it sure does. I would like to go to grad school so I can teach at the college level. need a few hundred bucks to apply to schools though. it’s a catch 22: need money to apply for school, need school to get a job and money. one can never win in this world.

MockingQuantum

alnilam posted:

just to make sure there are no misunderstanding s I mean the act of teaching itself, is good, or "owns"

incidentally though i am available to teach people some sick owns, though that's not what i meant,

I am intrigued by the idea of these "owns" lessons, I have not "dunked upon" any of my friends or acquaintances and would like to experience it some day

not ready, I am sorry to hear about your work woes, I hope everything works out for you. I'm lucky enough to be a sort-of not-really teacher for a lot of the year and it's really rewarding, and I mostly teach bratty 18 year olds how to do technical theater, which is not inherently that rewarding of an undertaking

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 13, 2018

thank you luvcow for the sig

not ready

I scheduled a meeting with a supervisor today to talk about me constantly being screwed with hours and pay. I told her that I have panic attacks and crying spells because I don’t have the hours I was told I’d have. she just said that they should’ve advertised my position differently as not a set amount of hours. that’s all well and good but what are they going to do for me now that they’ve put me in this position?!

I was told that the only case she knew of was 20 miles away and then she argued about how long the commute takes while I’m looking at it on a map. she told me to contact staffing and my new supervisor (the old one just left) about the issue.

keep in mind, I make less than $15/hr, no benefits, no retirement, no nothing. not even steady hours. this job is not worth a long commute. I’ve been looking but everything is part time. I’m considering tutoring Chinese kids online. the hours are third shift though. I have to figure out if it’s worth loving up my whole circadian rhythm.

I really need to apply to grad school but that costs money. it’s a lovely conundrum. I need a better job so I can have money but I’m realizing I need a MA to get a better job. but I can’t apply to schools without money cause it’s like $100/application.

l’ll be contacting the staffing department tomorrow as well as emailing my new boss. I just hope they might actually give a poo poo about their employees instead of exploiting us.

Ein cooler Typ

by FactsAreUseless
that's a bad move admitting weakness to your superior

people judge you for that

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not ready

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's a bad move admitting weakness to your superior

people judge you for that

I don’t want to work for a company that doesn’t take that seriously. I’m looking for a new job. I wish I didn’t take this one. it quickly changed from what I was told it would be.

• Locked thread