Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Problem description: During the anniversary update somehow it added and changed the display language to united kingdom from Australian. It is not letting me change the display language back. Even though its shows Australian as the display language in the settings screen when you go to the copy setting window its still showing UK as the display language. Although its not crippling my system, because the two languages are essentially identical, its added another language which has a greyed out remove option and the ENG language bar in the system tray is pissing me off.

Attempted fixes: Been googling around the language bar, language settings etc and removing extra languages. Nothing seems to address this specific phantom problem because its not just a simple case of removing a language pack so you only have one installed which automatically hides the language bar. It is also not like the problem where you can have a language auto added to the language bar without it being installed which is simply fixed by installing that language pack then removing it.

Recent changes: Anniversary update installed
--
Operating system: windows 10 home 64bit - apparently you can't have multiple languages installed in home? so maybe an update somehow changing it without me being able to change it back is a part of this ?

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So I am guessing if I can fix the display language thing (even though its showing Australia in the language settings page its actually stuck on UK) then I can copy over the settings to the welcome and new user screen and then I will be able to remove UK english from the language page. I just can't seem to unfuck that part of it.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 23, 2018

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Is there an EN icon by the clock? You can use that to quickly swap language / keyboard layout and sometimes it does wonders.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you open a console and do dism /online /get-intl what does it say your default system UI language is? Post the output since it has language packs in there too

I had to do something similar recently to get rid of the drat US keyboard. I'm at the point now where it's gone, but it temporarily comes back if you use something that requires it maybe? Like running a game in Steam. Goes away again when you log back in, still bad, but at least it's not permanent anymore

Might as well lay out what I did in case it's what you gotta do

I was trying to use the lpksetup command to remove the en-US language, but it wouldn't let me because it was the current system language. dism /online /get-intl and Get-Culture | Format-List -Property * (that one's in PowerShell) both showed my system was actually installed with en-US as the system language, instead of en-GB. I'm guessing that's a Dell thing

I ended up having to do this:
http://blog.mirohristov.com/computers/install-windows-10-using-a-different-language-fix/
which set the system to en-GB instead. Then lpksetup would let me delete en-US because it wasn't the system default anymore (although I couldn't see anything except English in there, the warning had moved to the other one in the list though)

And finally I applied English (UK) to all those settings in the Admin panel, and applied them to the lockscreen and new users. I think that was everything

I did this not long ago and haven't seen if there's an issue with a major update yadda yadda so messing with this stuff is at your own risk ok!

ALSO if it's just the language bar that's annoying you you can turn it off - Advanced Keyboard Settings in that Region and Language menu (I can't see it on yours for some reason, I have like 3 options below the list of languages). Best make sure you don't have the bad language set in there either

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 26, 2018

• Locked thread