Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, like in Interview with the Vampire, they don't dodge the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It's not in the spirit of the thread, mostly because it's not a fun ridiculous moment, but the end of Saturday Night Fever should be included. All the misogny culminates to the gang rape. While it was thematically consistent with the rest of the film, it still felt out of the blue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That whole thing with Beavis and Butt-head's dads from Do America was pretty weird in retrospect based on how pointless it is and how it's immediately forgotten about.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

That whole thing with Beavis and Butt-head's dads from Do America was pretty weird in retrospect based on how pointless it is and how it's immediately forgotten about.

i mean, that's :thejoke:

it's incredibly, incredibly obvious that the two are B&B's dads but they're too utterly thick to figure it out so it goes unremarked on

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, that's :thejoke:

it's incredibly, incredibly obvious that the two are B&B's dads but they're too utterly thick to figure it out so it goes unremarked on

I get that, but the whole thing felt kind of flat to me. Like they gave the subplot/gag both too much time and not enough time to work.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Twin Cinema posted:

It's not in the spirit of the thread, mostly because it's not a fun ridiculous moment, but the end of Saturday Night Fever should be included. All the misogny culminates to the gang rape. While it was thematically consistent with the rest of the film, it still felt out of the blue.

It's not really out of nowhere IMO because the whole film is way more grim than people remember.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Superman flies around the earth opposite of its rotation to turn back time to save Lois Lane, but never does this again in any other canon Superman story. What in the gently caress? That’s not how time works!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

It's not really out of nowhere IMO because the whole film is way more grim than people remember.

John Travolta in his white suit disco dancing to the Bee Gees is probably the only thing most people remember from Saturday Night Fever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Granny’s peach tea.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

Superman flies around the earth opposite of its rotation to turn back time to save Lois Lane, but never does this again in any other canon Superman story. What in the gently caress? That’s not how time works!

Lois Lane was dead, it was a very special circumstance. And the Earth only appeared to be rotating backwards because he was going back in time, not the other way around.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Granny’s peach tea.
Never actually understood the weird reaction to this. It's Lex being both sinister and ridiculous while telling a politician, basically, "you're hosed." Is it just because they talked about pee and that's icky?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

SimonCat posted:

Lois Lane was dead, it was a very special circumstance. And the Earth only appeared to be rotating backwards because he was going back in time, not the other way around.

:argh:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

SimonCat posted:

Superman destroys the world

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's this subplot/gag in The Judge in which Robert Downey Jr. is mortified at the idea that a woman he had drunkenly made out with at a bar may possibly have been a daughter he never knew he had. Near the end of the movie he learns the woman was not actually his daughter, but in fact his niece. The movie quickly moves on to other matters and they don't really bring it up again if I recall, but you're left with the impression that we can all breathe a sigh of relief because he didn't make out with his daughter, it was just his niece, which is perfectly a-okay and normal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Judge is a special kind of terrible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

Never actually understood the weird reaction to this. It's Lex being both sinister and ridiculous while telling a politician, basically, "you're hosed." Is it just because they talked about pee and that's icky?

If you don’t think someone giving someone else a jar of their piss is weird I’m not sure I can help you here.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It doesn't actually have to be pee for his statement to work. It's a joke that's consistent with Lex being creepy and invasive (putting the jolly rancher in the politician's mouth), but otherwise is not that mind-blowing. Like, supervillains killing people is also weird, because they're crazy, but that doesn't make it a WTF moment in a movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know I’m referring to the bit where there’s an actual jar of piss on Holly Hunter’s desk before she blows up, and not just the line from earlier that the scene is referencing?

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
A weird dude with a gross and annoying sense of humor did a weird and gross thing to annoy someone as a joke before killing them, there's like the opposite of WTF in that it's completely consistent. If anything it's well done because of all the times I've seen people talk about the movie never once have I ever seen anybody fail to immediately make the connection to a single throw-away line from earlier in the movie in the second between it being shown and the bomb going off.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

You know I’m referring to the bit where there’s an actual jar of piss on Holly Hunter’s desk before she blows up, and not just the line from earlier that the scene is referencing?
I'm saying, the contents of that jar do not have to actually be pee for his statement to work perfectly well. Within the context, it is a joke made by Lex. He's making a "silly" creepy joke while also executing a plan to murder hundreds of people, it gives great definition to his character.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Escobarbarian posted:

Granny’s peach tea.

I could eat a peach for hours

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I could eat a peach for hours

If I were to let you suck my tongue, would you be grateful?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Martman posted:

I'm saying, the contents of that jar do not have to actually be pee for his statement to work perfectly well. Within the context, it is a joke made by Lex. He's making a "silly" creepy joke while also executing a plan to murder hundreds of people, it gives great definition to his character.

Except they lingered on the jar for almost a full minute. I got the "joke" but, like most things in that movie that I "got", it didn't work.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nah, cool scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFaInkaRjI

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why does Superman look like Dracula

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFaInkaRjI&t=69s

Hell yeah.

lizardman posted:

Why does Superman look like Dracula

You mean why does he have cheekbones? I don't know how to answer that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFaInkaRjI&t=69s

Hell yeah.

You mean why does he have cheekbones? I don't know how to answer that.

It's the widow peak

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Widows peak, cheekbones, cape.

All known features of Draculas.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I was thinking of other RiffTrax movies that could fit in here and one that came to mind was When a Stranger Calls Back. It's a sequel to the Carol Kane "The call is coming from inside the house!" movie, only now her character is an adult trying to solve a case of another girl being stalked. They really wanted to have a twist that could match up with or exceed the original.

What we got in the end was a ventriloquist sneaking around, wearing a thong and bodypaint to make him look like a specific part of a wall in Carol Kane's apartment so he could play mind games. Somehow this was effective.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FreudianSlippers posted:

Immortal, can fly, is strongly affected by the sun.

I think it's time to face the fact, Superman is a dracula.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ChickenMedium posted:

This checks out

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

John Travolta in his white suit disco dancing to the Bee Gees is probably the only thing most people remember from Saturday Night Fever.

They made a sequel to Saturday Night Fever that basically was the surface level dance movie that everyone remembers the original as. So I think the two films kinda get mashed together in people's minds because they don't remember that the sequel exists.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe he absorbed something off of Kryptonian Vegeta when he snapped his neck

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ChickenMedium posted:

But he's helped by the sun, clearly he's a reverse vampire

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

One of my favorites is in That Obscure Object of Desire where the main character walks up to a woman with what looks like a swaddled baby passing through a park, she reveals it's a piglet, it squeals, and he makes a smiling "good day" gesture as they pass on their separate ways.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's Luis Buñuel for you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gavok posted:

I was thinking of other RiffTrax movies that could fit in here and one that came to mind was When a Stranger Calls Back. It's a sequel to the Carol Kane "The call is coming from inside the house!" movie, only now her character is an adult trying to solve a case of another girl being stalked. They really wanted to have a twist that could match up with or exceed the original.

What we got in the end was a ventriloquist sneaking around, wearing a thong and bodypaint to make him look like a specific part of a wall in Carol Kane's apartment so he could play mind games. Somehow this was effective.

The thing I found super weird about that movie was how it takes about 30 minutes to actually start the story. For some reason the movie opens with a long scene of a character basically going through the entire "babysitter and stranger in the houes" scenario.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Power of Pecota posted:

One of my favorites is in That Obscure Object of Desire where the main character walks up to a woman with what looks like a swaddled baby passing through a park, she reveals it's a piglet, it squeals, and he makes a smiling "good day" gesture as they pass on their separate ways.

Here Buñuel masterfully uses the cinematic form to subvert societal norms and bourgeois morality with the radical idea that much like human infants pigs infants are adorable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

They made a sequel to Saturday Night Fever that basically was the surface level dance movie that everyone remembers the original as. So I think the two films kinda get mashed together in people's minds because they don't remember that the sequel exists.

Sylvester Stallone directed it, which is pretty WTF in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Snowman_McK posted:

Sylvester Stallone directed it, which is pretty WTF in its own right.

And the performer of the movie's theme song? You guessed it, Frank Stallone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAv500Q6bfA