Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just binged through this, and it's so wholesome. :3:

(OK maybe not Yamai.)

I think what I like most is that I can see a lot of my partner and I in Komi/Tadano, in that we're also both anxious-but-empathic slightly-extroverted-introverts, ready to be present for and hold space for our friends.

I've been thinking a lot about this too:

DisDisDis posted:

is komi san teh best gay representation as well as the best trans representation in all o manga

skaianDestiny posted:

As a fan of this series? Hardly.

And, yep. I mean, it is surprisingly better than average in its gay representation, for what's otherwise a pretty heternormative love story? But no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also thanks to Dis for these takes, which put into words how I feel about Najimi a lot better than I could:

DisDisDis posted:

this is a dumb way to frame the discussion. Weird bathroom jokes don't become not weird if you fill up the 'cast is nice to trans character' meter enough. I like Najimi and their existence was a big part of me wanting to read the manga. The manga also mines Tadano being weird about their gender for comedy, that's just a fact. I've forgotten the specifics of it but I thought the bit when Tadano sees them in HS for the first time was p reasonable and not mean spirited. By contrast the changing room bit feels really bad to me because it undermines the way the rest of the cast and the manga in general treat Najimi. Like, the punchline is to a really standard ecchi joke setup where the sneaky pervert character is trying to peep on the girls locker room or w/e and the straight man protagonist grabs them by the shirt collar and goes 'not so fast' and we the audience laugh. Except Najimi isn't ever portrayed by the manga to be that archetype (to its credit) and none of the girls treat Najimi heading to the lockers with them as at all out of the ordinary, and they'd obviously look way more out of place in the mens'. But the scene ends right there with the concluding text box that's like "in the end they used the single occupancy" iirc, legitimizing Tadano's viewpoint.
That's the one that really sticks out as bad in my memory but I've seen a lot of people say they felt similar about other jokes about Najimi.
The manga does good and bad things with Najimi and they both exist without cancelling each other out and we should be able to discuss that without saying "well at least it's not as bad as this comically horrible looking trans joke bit from one piece."

DisDisDis posted:

I always read them as nonbinary but I think criticisms kind of apply regardless of how you read them.

The thing I most want is more char development for them because outside of their individual becoming friends with Komi arcs all the side characters basically just exist as their gimmicks and Najimi never really got an arc like that so they've pretty much just been the social butterfly funny mischief maker forever.

DisDisDis posted:

no najimi romance no sale

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I thought the ninja-dude delusion was about Najimi-san for a second and got excited.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

najimi was in the first delusion

Nah that's Ase Shibuki the sweaty girl.

This manga has over 100 named characters. Several of them besides Najimi also have short/medium blonde hair.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Oh yeah, so they were...

https://mangadex.org/chapter/34008/3

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah Katai is the big ripped dude. That was Najimi.

Also lol at Najimi pointing out that Tadano is surrounded by a super hot girl and a ripped guy (both of whom are into him).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Komi and Tadano have been pretty obviously into each other for a while. Good on Manbagi for not setting herself up for disaster.

Maybe the three of them will all get together later. Higher chance of that with this honest start, I think.

Yeah really. This was some excellent self-awareness and communication around feelings on both their parts, despite all the awkwardness. It's a major growth moment for both Manbagi and Tadano as characters, and models good relationship practices for readers. It may even be a deliberate pivotal moment for the comic, given that one of the main themes is overcoming barriers to communication.

MJP posted:

Anyone else think that Tadano has a pretty bad case of impostor syndrome?

He only now realizes that he just doesn't see himself as worthy of having someone like him, or to be with him. Whatever positive qualities that Manbagi and Komi see in him, he never saw them in the same way or at all. The qualities they see just aren't there for him, he doesn't see them, and doesn't feel like he's worthy of having them or is just faking at having them.

Maybe that was a gut-punch for me thanks to my own life stuff but drat, it resonated.

Absolutely. But impostor syndrome is part of Komi's thing too, which is why they're so well-suited to each other. One of the more endearing parts of this comic (for me) is watching them figure this out in parallel and grow together in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, I’m still not over the clear and logical chain of puns that got from Nerf to Enough.

"Nuff" to "Nerf" isn't exactly a big jump though?