Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I love how the structure of that last chapter frames Katai's love as equally legitimate to Komi and Manbagi's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Komi-san is really progressing in her ability to actually talk with her best friends.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The chapters about Komi's parents are honestly my faves. It's like everything that's great about the Komi/Tadano relationship but condensed into one chapter instead of spread out over the whole series.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I am pretty sure the play is already started. Tadano is covering for Komi somehow. Probably someone is playing the princess and just using the pre-recorded voice. Katai maybe?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Be Prepared: Experts Warn That This Polyamorous Relationship Could Expand To Cover Entire Manga By 2021

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The characters in this comic are so good that there is really only one wrong choice.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think it's important to remember that Manbagi has generally expressed her feelings by getting angry at Tadano. It's pretty understandable that he's not going to take her conflicted floundering as meaning she likes him.

Meanwhile, Komi has been pretty consistently positive on Tadano, so it might be a lot easier for him to believe Komi likes him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There were 100 characters listed in the poll. I believe the lower number is which number they were designated with, not the previous popularity rank.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nakanaka is so good that she even makes Yamai decent.

I love when this comic does flashback stuff. I like the comic in general but it does move at a pretty slow pace. These kind of chapters let you see a bit more of a complete arc. And of course, the Komi-san's parents chapters are the absolute best.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Loved the cute two page love story with the adult super nerds.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

My favorite detail is Hitomi casually carrying 45 pounds of flour with one arm and leg as she casually holds back komibro. That is some scary strength.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The delusion chapters are so good. I am pumped.

I wonder if they'll ever do a chapter with a group of girls imagining the different boys as boyfriends.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Well, it does (kare/kanojo), but you only really use them when you're being explicit about someone's gender because it's relevant somehow.

Which was not the case, at least in this chapter. Looking at the raws, there is no explicit subject for the sentence they translated to "It's planning something."

The translation in general was not very good this week.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

So great.

For maximum realism, Tadano should never have any actual romantic development with Manbagi or Komi. Then the last page is a flash forward to five years later when Tadano suddenly realizes in the middle of his day that they were both into him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Has there been a break for last and this week?

I read that due to coronavirus, the magazine Komi comes out in was switching to coming out every other week. Apparently there will be two chapters this week and then two chapters two weeks from now.

Edit: Yeah, the raws for chapter 256 just came out and it's probably my favorite chapter so far. Worth the wait.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 17, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I love this chapter. Tadano is perceptive and kind, and it's just heartwarming to see that showcased.

I feel like he is going to get a lot more chocolate on Valentine's Day this year.

Edit: I just noticed they said the next issue was A Sleepover, but the Japanese specifies that it's a four person sleepover.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 17, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I don't think it's just the anglosphere that has a problem with Yamai. I was looking for possible ways to buy some physical copies, and there were some reviews on Amazon Japan along the lines of, this is good but Yamai Ren is deeply uncomfortable.

Thank God the comic has moved away from her.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Of course Najimi was born on April first, and Nakanaka was born on February 29th.

I also like that Komi is consistently letting her shyness with giving Tadano a gift lead her to make Tadano think she doesn't like him. If it was overplayed it would be annoying, but instead it's just a nice believable little touch.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Heck yeah、getting back to the basics.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This week's chapter is very good but very long. I think it could take a bit to translate.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm happy to be wrong.

And I love Tadano's family.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Next chapter is emergency love talk. I believe it will be Komi talking with shogi girl and Ms. Yoyo, but it would be great if it was Tadano talking with someone.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Manbagi might actually have broken through whatever has been keeping Tadano from developing a romantic interest.

It was very cute how he noticed and appreciated her neatly folding up the borrowed robe.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This translation completely missed a joke. On the second to last page where Komi is proud of buying the charm, if says "she doesn't get it" but it should be "she hasn't noticed." The thing she hasn't noticed is that she got the wrong kind of charm. Komorebi needs a charm for luck on exams, but Komi bought a charm that is for pregnant people who are praying for a safe delivery.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Her full name is Hiki Komorebi, and she was a Hikikomori. Hikikomoris are people who for one reason or another retreat into their rooms and almost never come out.

Edit to add: Komi writes her name initially in kanji. Komorebi is a word that means sunlight filtering through trees. I expect this is why she is so, so tall.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 6, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She's 6'2". Possibly even taller than Katai.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Komi is such a good girl.

The fact that she accidentally rockets strangers between extreme emotional states cracks me up so hard.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm really excited to see how they translate chapters jam packed with jokes about the language barrier. If the writing is about characters switching between two languages, how do you translate that into just one?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

When the raws were posted, there was a second chapter. So there might be another soon.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That second chapter.

So this is the Met, right?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

New chapter.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The chance of a genuine polycule forming is increasing all the time.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This comic is really good.

I loved how last chapter, they touched on Tadano liking old buildings. It was something we saw in the Kyoto trip that was a cute point of connection between Komi and Tadano. So last chapter it helped highlight how Manbagis relationship to Tadano is different.

And now in this chapter Manbagis thinks about how similar Komi and Tadano are. It hits better because of this point of connection that was pretty subtly evoked the previous chapter.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Who would ever have thought that a high school romantic comedy would put a lot of weight on the romantic hopes and dreams of high schoolers. Truly a shocking、reprehensible twist.

But seriously, I don't think the comic is putting undue weight on these things. There isn't really anything to say her life will be ruined if things don't go well. It's just important to her because that is the kind of story it is and, well, teenagers have been know to spend a lot of time and energy on romantic drama.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Work was crazy today.

It's a good chapter. This comic is really good at being aware that the stakes aren't as high as the characters sometimes feel they are.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That classic romance strategy of being really hurtful. I mean, pointedly giving chocolate to everyone but one person? Classic bullying technique,.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Komi and Tadano have been pretty obviously into each other for a while. Good on Manbagi for not setting herself up for disaster.

Maybe the three of them will all get together later. Higher chance of that with this honest start, I think.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

What a lovely chapter.

I love that Manbagi being a loud person had this kind of effect. Great meta joke.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The Komis are such a fun bunch of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

New chapter out

I really appreciate how this comic snaps backwards and forwards through time.