Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Because he didn't shower first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Poltergrift posted:

He's kind of got shounen protagonist proportions / eyes in that last one. Interesting to see that's how Katai thinks of him.

Apparently the number one thing about shounen protagonists is that they actually have teeth inside their mouth.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nalin posted:

I think that's my favorite part about his character. All of his suffering is entirely preventable.

Yeah, if it seemed like he were shy or nervous you'd feel bad for him, but he's just a jerk who doesn't like people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not really sure I understand Komi-bro's psychology at all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'd prefer a lesson like you can date more than one person and you don't have to be In Love to make a relationship legit, good grief.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

tsob posted:

It's not a matter of when either really, since the only real answer to "when" in most cases is "24/7"; it's just a matter of "how much".

Well, in this case it's a reasonable amount.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen the "girl's dad is also in love with her boyfriend" complication.

It's particularly complex since we know from experience that Komi-mom would absolutely want to see this happen, because she is a stone-cold gremlin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

When do we get a chapter with Komi-mom, Najimi, and Hitomi just dragging people into their pace and hijinks

It wouldn't work.

Comedic characters like those three require straight men in pretty much the same way that nuclear reactors need cooling rods, or else the entire narrative spirals off into insanity that no longer resembles real life.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

No, Yamai will be forced to ship Komidano because the alternative is allowing the goddess Komi to lose.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, this turn of events does kind of lead us closer to the "Yamai is forced to ship Komidano through sheer antagonist" timeline.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's not really that they're treating Tadano as an object who can't make choices, so much as this manga tends to treat a relationship as this idealized thing where Only The Best Will Do, and not something you can just have with someone by mutual consent. (Specifically, a romantic relationship; it doesn't do this with Komi's friends.)

See also how Manbagi completely blew her chances with Tadano after confessing first, because if your crush would ever consider being with someone else over you, your relationship is invalid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have to hand it to the former student council president for making her blatant rigging of the quiz bowl look legitimate by choosing a category of questions that Kawai really should know the answers to but doesn't.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

chumbler posted:

All three get married or the author's a coward.

They are also already a coward for not having done this with Manbagi.

No, they have to include Katai also.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chapters about Yamai and someone who isn't Komi are generally good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This is extremely moving and sincere, but also, uh.

Uh, bro.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

I hope komi doesn’t stop at 100 friends so that she can start operating on a strict one-in-one-out policy and prune some of the bad ones.

Yeah, I feel like at this point Komi could stand to be a bit more choosy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The fact that every other bit of LGBT representation is kept totally deniable (and there's no sign of Katai ever finding a love interest for real) makes it even worse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wittgen posted:

I'm not sure Kawai proposing to Komi or Najimi in general qualify as, "deniable," exactly.

Katai does deserve a boyfriend though. Or at least a scene where Tadano gets to understand his feelings.

I don't think LGBT rep gets to "count" in that sense (at least, in a rom-com) unless it's actually going to Happen. Kawai isn't going to marry Komi any more than guy-whose-name-I-refuse-to-remember is going to become her baby.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, I'm not really sure if sticking so strongly to the "100 named friends" structure really benefits Komi all that much, because it's meant tossing in a lot of one-shot gag characters who frequently don't even feel like real people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I also think you lose a lot by sidelining the more-average end of the cast like Chiarai and Sonoda, because without them as anchors the class stops feeling like an actual class and more like a zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Manbagi seems like she is determined never to go out with a guy until after she falls head-over-heels in love with him and she's just shooting herself in the goddamned foot.