Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Kibibit posted:

I agree pretty heavily with this sentiment tbh, and in fact in my original post, I think I was less trying to make the point of "They consistently treat Najimi in a way that doesn't bother me at all" (which isn't true at all), and more that the most glaring and repetitive transphobia you'll run into is actually from the translation (cramming "he/she", instead of "she" or at least the gender ambiguous "they"), rather than any original intent by the author of the piece.

Overall my opinion of how they treat Najimi leans towards "Pretty decent" in that, in a manga literally driven by gimmicks, Najimi's trans-ness is not actually her gimmick. Instead, she's pretty consistently just the troublemaker of the group. On the other hand, It's hard not to wish the scenes that push it down to "pretty decent" ceased to exist, since the manga would be none the worse without them.

Is Najima supposed to be trans? I always thought their whole gender ambiguity situation was a play on that trope that you see all the time in manga where the main character will have a childhood friend and think they are a boy/girl and then when they meet again in high school it turns out it was the opposite... but since Najima is simultaneously everyone's childhood friend at the same time they have something like Schrodinger's gender since they were perceived differently by different people.

At least that's how I read the situation when the character was first introduced anyway and Najima hasn't ever really had any sort of spotlight time where that situation was ever a plot issue that needed to be cleared up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU