Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The biggest problem with reviews is that every reviewer is approaching this with the question "Is this David Cage game good?"

No, of course it's not. This guy is trying so hard to be edgy and lacks any sort of self-awareness. He's dumb and his games are dumb. The question that I need answered is "Is this game hilariously bad and something I should play, like Heavy Rain, or is it trash that is enjoyable on no level like Beyond Two Souls?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond both and will probably enjoy this welp that's my story enjoy your circle-hate-jerk thread! :)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

As someone who enjoyed BTS Im enjoying this so far. Its a prime ham for sure, and very pretty. Cyberlife is pretty bad at making robots.

Im also curious how hard theyre pulling the wool over my eyes with the branching.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 25, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm here to talk Detroit

Danny Brown is my favorite rapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5FTAMGUzIE

Underground Resistance is insanely cool and prolific and their stuff encompasses a ton of musical styles. I like the cold feel of IF a lot personally.

Also my fav Manabu Namiki mega ripped them off lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbINBnYeFA

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Im enjoying the game so far (apart from a stupid sequence where both you and the character and their buddy all agree this dude is super creepy, yet you are forced by the narrative to walk into an obvious trap. Seriously, you could walk away in the bar chapter in Beyond: Two Souls, why not here?)

Also the game is drat pretty, think it is the new champion of realtime lifelike human characters.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Capped that deviant in the first segment. Breaking Android law from day one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Link me to the scene when you get to this part of the adaptation, ok?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfnAOcBirAs

David Cage in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit had a sex scene set to this band that lasted minutes.

Truly an auteur.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZzH6PDuYg&t=1400s

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I'm so baffled that tumblr is not liking the tumblr game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Has anyone else had trouble with trying to steal clothes in the Laundromat in the chapter where you're looking for a place to stay the night? I followed the button-presses for both triggers and triangle, but it just wouldn't complete for some reason. We wound up spending the night in the car, because I'd already robbed the convenience store for cash and the stuffed animal and couldn't get wirecutters :sigh:.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Allowing that I don't care at all if the story is well written or delivered, is this game good or janky? The concept seems neat and I'm generally into games where there are branching storylines/your actions do ~things~ in the game world.

I know literally nothing about this game (reading the OP didn't clear that up much). Do you get a gun? Maybe a sword? Is it mostly talking and exploring, or shooting, or...?

e: Trying to decide if I should bother redboxing it or just let it go

e2: There's a demo so I guess I can decide for myself, but it's so much more convenient when the goonmind makes decisions for me...

black.lion fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 25, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

black.lion posted:

Allowing that I don't care at all if the story is well written or delivered, is this game good or janky? The concept seems neat and I'm generally into games where there are branching storylines/your actions do ~things~ in the game world.

I know literally nothing about this game (reading the OP didn't clear that up much). Do you get a gun? Maybe a sword? Is it mostly talking and exploring, or shooting, or...?

There's a free demo you can try on the PSN store.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

black.lion posted:

e2: There's a demo so I guess I can decide for myself, but it's so much more convenient when the goonmind makes decisions for me...

It's a QTE story game. If you don't care if the story is well written or delivered then this basically isn't even a game as far you're concerned.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

nessin posted:

It's a QTE story game. If you don't care if the story is well written or delivered then this basically isn't even a game as far you're concerned.

Thank you for saving me from wasting my time :glomp:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I recently showed my girlfriend Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls. She threatened to leave me and file a restraining order.

Do we have an hour count on this so I can Redbox it over the holiday weekend?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I recently showed my girlfriend Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls. She threatened to leave me and file a restraining order.

Do we have an hour count on this so I can Redbox it over the holiday weekend?

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=31388

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How long does it take for a restraining order to process?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
gently caress! I forgot David Cage when I decided to not get this generation of Playstation.

I have made a huge mistake.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

bloodychill posted:

To be fair to Cage and video games in general, some non-trivial number of gamers are stupid as rocks intellectually or emotionally and need things explained in the most explicit ways possible.

Also how many scenes with a woman peeing appear in this game, this is important

Don't ever be fair to David Cage. He is a massive poo poo.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Detroit: Become Human (2018)

also i bought it and i'm gonna play it because i'm a sucker for david cage's train wrecks don't @ me

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

@

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mods??????

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
So far Kara hasn't had to use a toilet or take a shower, so maybe david cage is making progress?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the branching actually is pretty deep, considering how some of the flow charts work.

I think the game is setting up a twist that I'm not gonna like.

the little girl is totally an android, in my game she's refused every offer to eat so far

Edit: almost want a whole game where you play buddy cop with drunk rear end in a top hat Highlander because those segments are all fantastic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Meatwolfe posted:

So far Kara hasn't had to use a toilet or take a shower, so maybe david cage is making progress?

We'll have to see if she has sex on a filthy hotel room floor, so we're not safe yet.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I forget, did David Cage previously have a forums account or was that fake?

I bought every Quantic Dreams game up to this one because I kept seeing potential but it never came to anything. I don't know how you write four or five big, branching stories and manage to not grow as a writer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think he's grown as a writer, in that this game has infinitely better pacing and generally more interesting scenarios than the previous ones, and much more frequent and meaningful branches. Most of the branching plot in Beyond was merely "hosed up/didn't gently caress up"

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

precision posted:

I think he's grown as a writer, in that this game has infinitely better pacing and generally more interesting scenarios than the previous ones, and much more frequent and meaningful branches. Most of the branching plot in Beyond was merely "hosed up/didn't gently caress up"

Cage used a writing team on this instead of penning the entire drat thing himself.

It's easily his 2nd best game (david bowie simulator will always be his best) so its just pretty janky and bad instead of super janky and bad. I give it 6/10 on the "Until Dawn" scale.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The android in the abandoned house is my spirit animal.

Its no Until Dawn but I could almost recommend this to people with what I've played so far. The scenario/branching design seems like a greatest hits of Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/transgamerthink/status/1000267173842038784

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did the game bug out like crazy for anyone else when Kara and the kid get off the bus? I couldn't find anything I could interact with, it let me walk way outside of the play area into n64 territory, missing doors on buildings that went into the abyss etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well i just finished it and immediately started over because i'm pretty sure i got the literal worst endings for everyone and i definitely did not do it on purpose :(

Connor stayed a machine and killed Markus in an abandoned building after Markus led a failed revolution, and then Markus detonated the dirty bomb. I tried to have Connor be friends with Hank but never really recovered from not choosing to save him the first time (when there's an "89% chance of safety" for him) so I leaned into making him hate me, and he ended up quitting the force and killing himself. Kara and Alice both got shot in the border run and thus didn't even make it to the endgame lmao

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I went two out of three with my ending, though I'll definitely be doing another playthrough or two; Connor infiltrated CyberLife, saved Hank, and Awoke thousands of machines as backup. Marcus lead a successful peaceful protest. Kara... tried to reach Canada by boat, and a border patrol fired on them. Only she made it alive on the other side, and chose to keep on living :ohdear:.

I'm actually quite impressed with how far the routes can branch in this. There's a surprising amount of breadth to your decisions.

Anyone got any advice for the hostage situation at the start, out of curiosity? Just wondering if there's any good hints for ending it without Nathan getting popped by sniper fire.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I wonder if part of the reason I'm rolling my eyes at this game is because Westworld took an entire season to painfully explain how androids could become sentient, and this game just hand-waves over everything and treats sentience the same as a Hulk freakout.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You'd be rolling your eyes whether it was androids or magic because they aren't about to break any new ground. The logic in a David Cage game is, putting it overly kindly, dreamlike.

Because it's a Cage game the following might all be invalidated by a twist I'm not at yet but it could be more hand wavey than it already is though, they kind of hit you on the nose with deviancy as software "corruption" because of the adaptability built in. Everytime you get conflicting orders you mull on it and a big software corruption prompt pops up. Androids learn and they started learning their safeguards are bullshit installed by the man.

It might be a happy accident the androids are controlled as a player character but it also implies they are built sentient and programmed to be subservient as an afterthought. Turning deviant is a QTE where you willfully and repeatedly imagine yourself ignoring the safeguards which implies you've been sentient the whole time and waiting for a reason to ignore the safeguards.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I am looking forward to the DLC where David Cage explores if computers could post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Finished the game this morning after playing all day yesterday.

My (happy) ending results:

Kara, Alice, and Luther survive and made it to Canada via bus + immigration.
Markus, Josh, and North survive their peaceful protest march. The military stands down and androids become recognized as intelligent life. Markus and North end up together.
Simon died during the broadcast tower heist, but was key to allowing Connor to find Jericho.
Connor goes deviant, was able to awaken the factory while saving Hank, and was able to break free from Amanda in the final hour. Connor does super android cop poo poo in the final chapters and is the best :allears:
Hank lives and is BFFs with Connor afterwards. Buddy cop show when
The Jerrys survive
Ralphy survived (I think)
Polar bear android died
Todd is alive and forgives Kara + Alice

• Locked thread