Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you play Markus as a violent revolutionary things play out very differently actually. I think it's the better path personally, though not necessarily the "best ending" for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ending segments could not have been designed more poorly imo. I got the worst possible ending on everything because I couldnt figure what the gently caress I was supposed to do for Kara or Marcus. I dont even give a gently caress what the other endings where I am so soured on this stupid loving game game right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol apparently I am the only person on earth that got Kara shot dead in line and Alice killed because its showing 0%

Noirex
May 30, 2006

precision posted:

If you play Markus as a violent revolutionary things play out very differently actually. I think it's the better path personally, though not necessarily the "best ending" for him.

Well I mean for my first ending it was bad for him too, getting shot in the face by Conner at the last second. So yeah I'll try the violent route. He does have some pretty cool set pieces like breaking in the news station, I'll also get as many of his friends killed as possible and see what else changes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Lol apparently I am the only person on earth that got Kara shot dead in line and Alice killed because its showing 0%

A lot of things are on 0% now that a lot more people have played through to the end. The ending I got on my first playthrough for Connor was at 3% when I got it, but now it's rounded down to 0%.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

precision posted:

This game is demolishing the industry standard; 99% of players have gotten the trophy for finishing chapter 1

As for the LEDs being easy to remove, I don't see that as a plot hole or stupid. We're meant to figure out that Deviancy has been extremely rare until the game starts, and a non-Deviant would be literally unable to remove it.

Human owners can remove the LED, but if they want to void their warranty, who cares? Maybe they don't like being reminded by the LED. But if that android went out into the world and was discovered, the human would be in deep poo poo, and again, since Deviancy was so rare before, it would have been extremely easy to notice an LED-less android. Even Markus has trouble with the concept of "paint something that doesn't exist", they say that Chloe passed the Turing Test but there are a bunch of simple questions you could ask an android that they wouldn't be able to answer.

The problem with the LEDs is that they are introduced as a difficult and potentially interesting problem for the characters to overcome but the solution ultimately feels cheap and uninteresting. It's made worse by the fact that it IS a problem that Kara needs to (potentially) find a solution for when trying to find a place for her and Alice to stay the night.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True enough.

On my third playthrough I just now cottoned on to the fact that Markus is Deviant from the very beginning and that's why Carl talks about being worried about what will happen when he's not around anymore. Don't know how I didn't make the connection even after my previous post about how there's an article saying that Markus was a personal gift to Carl from Elijah Musk

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

I stated Heavy Rain and Jesus Christ its just making me want to go back to Detroit and get the other endings.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

precision posted:

True enough.

On my third playthrough I just now cottoned on to the fact that Markus is Deviant from the very beginning and that's why Carl talks about being worried about what will happen when he's not around anymore. Don't know how I didn't make the connection even after my previous post about how there's an article saying that Markus was a personal gift to Carl from Elijah Musk
I'm not sure that's Markus's whole story since he has to break on through to the other side in a QTE like the rest. He is definitely an empathetic proof of concept since he is a caregiver prototype. Depending how you play the altercation I think the implication is that he is a trailblazer in that he is one of if not the first androids to go deviant with a less than immediately existential threat than the murder bots you see coming around first. Basically learned to work for himself when faced with conflict further up the Mazlow pyramid than the others needing to reach the rock bottom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zedprime posted:

I'm not sure that's Markus's whole story since he has to break on through to the other side in a QTE like the rest. He is definitely an empathetic proof of concept since he is a caregiver prototype. Depending how you play the altercation I think the implication is that he is a trailblazer in that he is one of if not the first androids to go deviant with a less than immediately existential threat than the murder bots you see coming around first. Basically learned to work for himself when faced with conflict further up the Mazlow pyramid than the others needing to reach the rock bottom.

The 'murder bots' really aren't, they're just having some pretty acceptable psychological issues accompanying their awakening. Nathan and the Eden Club Traci's were all just afraid of dying and trying to protect themselves from humans about to kill/replace them. Nathan going off the deep end is also more of a narrative incentive to get the player thinking "maybe Deviants ARE bad... :hmmyes:"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, I went back and got an ending better than the shittiest one possible (Kara gets killed in line in the death camp, Alice gets executed in a recycler, Markus botches the hell out a bloody revolution and sets off a dirty bomb, connor releasing the androids isn't even addressed here because I hosed up so bad it didn't make a difference I guess The game seems dead set on killing Alice for me lol. I give up though. I'm not playing that 1.5 hour last chapter a third time.

I really hate the last chapter of the game from a design perspective. it does such a bad job of communicating critical poo poo. There were multiple times the game pulled something completely opposite of my intention. For example In this last attempt Alice gets shot on the river and is dying by the time you hit the shore. The game gives you the option to push on, or give up. Naturally I chose push on, but that means Kara just leaves Alice on the beach, giving you the result of "Kara lets Alice die alone". Like, :wtf: Why would anyone assume that is what they are choosing? I thought she was going to try to get Alice help or something.

Then, in my first go I got caught and sent to the death camp trying to save the Jerrys, because I was feathering the analog stick slightly too hard. What a great time to introduce a stealth mechanic! Then I got both Kara and Alice isolated and killed because I followed the directions on screen in the kill line during the distraction. The game doesn't communicate at all that you are not supposed to go forward. I thought I was moving forward to pull some sabotage or something. Still not sure wth I supposed to do.

Markus also botched the revolution because the %of success meter doesn't work with certain combos on the last push. No idea why.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but overall the game was just peppered with poorly communicated poo poo at the worst times. The first one that annoyed the gently caress out of me was Hank going "maybe we are on the wrong side" and one of the options was "no doubt" so I figured it meant l"no doubt about it man!" and Connor is like "I have no doubts about my mission" and then Hank thinks your a POS for it. It was all down hill from there.

Finally, The checkpoint system, or lack therof is horrible for replays, something you are going to obviously want to do without having to play for an hour every time. I don't get why they wouldn't just open up the chapter select after you finish the game and then checkpoint every single scene. I want to see the other stuff that can happen but doing so is so tedious it's gonna have to remain a mystery.

And none of that is even touching the writing. I don't even know where to start there lol. Rant over.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 2, 2018

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Despite all of it's numerous flaws, I will say that this is the best Quantic Dream game to date, especially compared to Beyond: Two Souls, which was a hilarious trainwreck from start to finish.

This game is proof that QD could actually make something really good if the entire team shoved David Cage into a garbage can.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

Despite all of it's numerous flaws, I will say that this is the best Quantic Dream game to date, especially compared to Beyond: Two Souls, which was a hilarious trainwreck from start to finish.

This game is proof that QD could actually make something really good if the entire team shoved David Cage into a garbage can.
I was about to ask. I legit enjoyed Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain despite their obvious problems, but Beyond stripped out pretty much everything I liked (compelling scenarios in realistic worlds with choices) about the David Cage genre, and just left the bad dialogue, glacial pace, awkward pauses and deep rooted misogyny. The first two games were at least interesting.

Is this worth checking out then? Or should I just give Until Dawn a shot instead?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say Until Dawn and Detroit are best in class for the genre. Detroit is more ambitious, but Until Dawn isn't up it's own rear end and is all around a better game. Either way they are both much better than Heavy Rain or Beyond.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ill always love Beyond for its stupid fun poltergeist antics. Burn down a house full of mean teenagers! Destroy a town square whilst fighting off cops pursuing you!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Well, I went back and got an ending better than the shittiest one possible (Kara gets killed in line in the death camp, Alice gets executed in a recycler, Markus botches the hell out a bloody revolution and sets off a dirty bomb, connor releasing the androids isn't even addressed here because I hosed up so bad it didn't make a difference I guess The game seems dead set on killing Alice for me lol. I give up though. I'm not playing that 1.5 hour last chapter a third time.

I really hate the last chapter of the game from a design perspective. it does such a bad job of communicating critical poo poo. There were multiple times the game pulled something completely opposite of my intention. For example In this last attempt Alice gets shot on the river and is dying by the time you hit the shore. The game gives you the option to push on, or give up. Naturally I chose push on, but that means Kara just leaves Alice on the beach, giving you the result of "Kara lets Alice die alone". Like, :wtf: Why would anyone assume that is what they are choosing? I thought she was going to try to get Alice help or something.

Then, in my first go I got caught and sent to the death camp trying to save the Jerrys, because I was feathering the analog stick slightly too hard. What a great time to introduce a stealth mechanic! Then I got both Kara and Alice isolated and killed because I followed the directions on screen in the kill line during the distraction. The game doesn't communicate at all that you are not supposed to go forward. I thought I was moving forward to pull some sabotage or something. Still not sure wth I supposed to do.

Markus also botched the revolution because the %of success meter doesn't work with certain combos on the last push. No idea why.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but overall the game was just peppered with poorly communicated poo poo at the worst times. The first one that annoyed the gently caress out of me was Hank going "maybe we are on the wrong side" and one of the options was "no doubt" so I figured it meant l"no doubt about it man!" and Connor is like "I have no doubts about my mission" and then Hank thinks your a POS for it. It was all down hill from there.

Finally, The checkpoint system, or lack therof is horrible for replays, something you are going to obviously want to do without having to play for an hour every time. I don't get why they wouldn't just open up the chapter select after you finish the game and then checkpoint every single scene. I want to see the other stuff that can happen but doing so is so tedious it's gonna have to remain a mystery.

And none of that is even touching the writing. I don't even know where to start there lol. Rant over.

I had the same issues with the same dialogue options. Often said/did the polar opposite of what I thought it meant. Question, what happened when you set off the dirty bomb? When I did it, it was considered a great victory for the androids, the president considered Detroit an android held zone and Markus made a triumphant speech. Also I am not sure if it's even possible to get past that machine gun nest during the revolution, seemed like everything failed.

I'll watch other endings on youtube when bored. Game was great for one playthrough but I don't wanna do it again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had the same issues with the same dialogue options. Often said/did the polar opposite of what I thought it meant. Question, what happened when you set off the dirty bomb? When I did it, it was considered a great victory for the androids, the president considered Detroit an android held zone and Markus made a triumphant speech. Also I am not sure if it's even possible to get past that machine gun nest during the revolution, seemed like everything failed.

I'll watch other endings on youtube when bored. Game was great for one playthrough but I don't wanna do it again.

I got past the machinegun nest. You need a couple of guys providing covering fire while the third group charges. I think you can also do it without losing anyone by retrieving the grenade.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got past the machinegun nest. You need a couple of guys providing covering fire while the third group charges. I think you can also do it without losing anyone by retrieving the grenade.

Could have sworn I tried that combination. And every other combination. Never saw a grenade though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Could have sworn I tried that combination. And every other combination. Never saw a grenade though.

I did it with the two groups towards the rear providing covering fire while the group near the front charged.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

What a ride this game is

I thought it was smooth sailing all the way through on my ultra-pacifist run until i did some crucial fuckups at the very end and pretty much everyone died in various heartless, depressing ways

I went back a chapter and nuked Detroit after the credits though, gently caress you humanity, you're monsters!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's not just you. I've been kind of wavering on the brink of not finishing a couple of times because the shortened dialogue descriptors DO NOT actually convey what the character is going to do, and I end up doing something completely opposite of what I intended. In a game like this, where dialogue choice is like 85% of the actual gameplay, that's kind of unforgivable to me.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Whats funny to me is that the background stuff about automation replacing nearly every job imaginable is a far more relatable issue than robot racism. Its something that all people fear, especially Americans who's capitalist overlords are extremely eager to replace every last job with robots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really enjoyed Detroit, and I think the writing's pretty decent (at least compared to Heavy Rain and B2S), but it's not hard to shoot pretty much all of Markus' storyline with the hijacked news broadcast and the peace march stone-dead (with much better and wider-reaching results) with just two words;

"Social Media".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah I got through it the second time, so it must hinge on how many androids die along the way because I lost using the same combo as Neddy Seagoon the first time. Also yea the grenade (which you can grab about half way through) probably makes a difference but I missed it both times.

Re: what happened when I dropped the bomb. Actually nothing. My rep with jerhico was lost do to losing the battle, and a bunch of news talking heads just go "good god he's destroyed us all" and the game ends. Markus was also caught and the options were suicide or dirty bomb

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I detonated the bomb in my first playthrough because everyone had failed at literally everything except Connor, who shot Markus in an abandoned building, and then I nuked the town. The ending news broadcasts were all like "The USA is now in a full scale civil war".

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man the only time I managed to get someone killed was in the investigating Stratford level, I played a second time specifically to investigate the roof and I caught blonde robot and read his mind for a second and he shot himself, which made me feel pretty bad. I figured if I didnt do that he would eventually make his way back to Jericho, which turned out to be correct. I dont think anyone determinant died on my playthrough.

I guess technically the murderbot from the first crime scene doesnt die if you dont visit him in his cell?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I spent all day playing this, and it's the only game I've ever played that my gf watched the whole time (she hates games) and has forbidden me from playing it without her. Thank you David Cage, for making a game for people who hate games. :cool:

I feel like I'm probably 2/3rds of the way through? I just finished the scene where the cop who looks suspiciously like Louis C.K. comes through the house and tries to find evidence of androids.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dogen posted:

Man the only time I managed to get someone killed was in the investigating Stratford level, I played a second time specifically to investigate the roof and I caught blonde robot and read his mind for a second and he shot himself, which made me feel pretty bad. I figured if I didnt do that he would eventually make his way back to Jericho, which turned out to be correct. I dont think anyone determinant died on my playthrough.

On my first playthrough I didn't go up to the roof at all because I checked out the Operators first and got locked into figuring out the Deviant among them. It gives you a brief cutscene of a very scared Simon huddled in a vent clearly hoping he's not found.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Clancy Brown just loving kills it in this game jesus christ that man's talent rubs off on every scene he's in.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I did another playthrough from the beginning last night where I tried to deliberately gently caress up as much as possible. It was great.

It's funny how quickly you can make Kara completely disappear from the story if you are terrible at video games :haw:

And towards the end holy crap the "Hank commits suicide" event you can get by playing Connor as cynical machine is loving grim. Hearing Hanks dog howling as Connor walks away from the house is heart-wrenching.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

r u ready to WALK posted:

And towards the end holy crap the "Hank commits suicide" event you can get by playing Connor as cynical machine is loving grim. Hearing Hanks dog howling as Connor walks away from the house is heart-wrenching.

the worst part is that i got that even though i was actively trying to be hank's friend :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

r u ready to WALK posted:

I did another playthrough from the beginning last night where I tried to deliberately gently caress up as much as possible. It was great.

It's funny how quickly you can make Kara completely disappear from the story if you are terrible at video games :haw:

You can make Kara disappear from the story almost immediately by following instructions and not moving during Stormy Night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can make Kara disappear from the story almost immediately by following instructions and not moving during Stormy Night.

What happens?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

What happens?

You spend a horrifically-long time listening to Todd harass Alice, followed by a cutscene of Kara walking in to Alice's room find Todd's killed Alice. Then Todd blames Kara and destroys her.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On my first playthrough I didn't go up to the roof at all because I checked out the Operators first and got locked into figuring out the Deviant among them. It gives you a brief cutscene of a very scared Simon huddled in a vent clearly hoping he's not found.

Yeah I went back and made that my choice. Its what I had done the first time as well, I was just curious what would happen if I went up there so I tried it and didnt care for it so replayed he chapter a third time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always wondered how the hell he ended up alive.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I popped Simon in the head while he was bleeding out because no snitches are allowed in La Revolucion.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just finished my first playthrough. Everything was going great until some random rear end in a top hat scanned Kara for no reason at the bus depot and capped her, and then I couldn't get out of that bullshit snow storm in Connor's head so he shot Markus on the stage. It was like watching a whole season of a show and everyone dies for bullshit reasons in the last episode. I was so pissed I told the lady on the main screen to pound sand and now I wish I let her go because I don't want to look at her stupid face. :mad:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I popped Simon in the head while he was bleeding out because no snitches are allowed in La Revolucion.

I went full pacifist wiener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

KillHour posted:

Just finished my first playthrough. Everything was going great until some random rear end in a top hat scanned Kara for no reason at the bus depot and capped her, and then I couldn't get out of that bullshit snow storm in Connor's head so he shot Markus on the stage. It was like watching a whole season of a show and everyone dies for bullshit reasons in the last episode. I was so pissed I told the lady on the main screen to pound sand and now I wish I let her go because I don't want to look at her stupid face. :mad:

I did not experience any of these events in any way. That's the neatest part of this game, an actual branching story for once.

• Locked thread