Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft corporation created a cross platform, open source editor written in node.js, electron, and blink. I know that string of words sounds like a recipe for absolute garbage, but inexplicably it’s the best editor out there.

the war is over. visual studio code won. it is the best. if you aren’t using it you are literally an idiot.

why are you still using your dumb editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i use vim op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

The Management posted:

Microsoft corporation...node.js, electron, and blink

lol good joke

ides are good though and I hear it is too. how is it with swift? not sure what advantages it would have but I’ll try out for other langs

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 25, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the full version of visual studio

i should probably add vs code to the toolbox but i like all the plugins for sublime

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

vs code is good, op

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rider > vs code imo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jfc look at this garbage. gtfo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its ok, nothing special

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Management posted:

tools not toys :smug:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
visual studio code is an acronym for Eighty thousand Megabytes And Constantly Swapping

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i use sublime and am an idiot. op checks out

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

The Management posted:

looks good

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Close, but Visual Studio is actually the best. Visual Studio Code is also very, very good, though, so I can see how you could get confused.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

jony neuemonic posted:

rider > vs code imo.

vs is free why would you use this second-rate knock-off?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

have you tried using vim?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dads friend steve posted:

have you tried using vim?

the text editing power of vscode, but with the usability of the git command line interface

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i had no idea it was powered by the worlds best programming lang: Java Script

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i like the full version of visual studio

it's complete garbage

I have to kill it at least 5 times a day

I need to rearrange all the dockable panes all the time because it keeps putting them back in random places or undocking them (why can we even undock them, who needs floating crap)

whenever you right click anything it displays a giant dumb context menu full of irrelevant crap

it keeps waiting on long running operations like version control plugin updates on the UI thread (then you get this gem in the starting page news feed: "how to write responsive multithreaded applications, by the visual studio team" :lol:)

you have to install a third party plugin (visual assist) to get completion, renaming and navigation that actually loving works

can't wait for them to get rid of it and officially replace it with visual studio code (and also to get rid of cl.exe and replace it with clang)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nano

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

akadajet posted:

the text editing power of vscode, but with the usability of the git command line interface

The git cli is actually good.

Also I use vim regularly.

vscode is good for working with smaller projects. I don't always like having to write json to mess with its settings but when I really think about it I can't decide if it's better or worse than the way other applications handle settings.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs code is not as good as visual studio for programming and not as good as notepad++ for text editing.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Colonel Taint posted:

:wrong:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Fiedler posted:

vs is free why would you use this second-rate knock-off?

it’s better than vs for mac and has great unity tools.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Colonel Taint posted:

mods?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Zlodo posted:

it's complete garbage

I have to kill it at least 5 times a day

I need to rearrange all the dockable panes all the time because it keeps putting them back in random places or undocking them (why can we even undock them, who needs floating crap)

whenever you right click anything it displays a giant dumb context menu full of irrelevant crap

it keeps waiting on long running operations like version control plugin updates on the UI thread (then you get this gem in the starting page news feed: "how to write responsive multithreaded applications, by the visual studio team" :lol:)

you have to install a third party plugin (visual assist) to get completion, renaming and navigation that actually loving works

can't wait for them to get rid of it and officially replace it with visual studio code (and also to get rid of cl.exe and replace it with clang)
The third party plugin is probably causing your issues. Best to uninstall it.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

jony neuemonic posted:

it’s better than vs for mac and has great unity tools.

windows 10 is free why would you use a second-rate os?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
notepad++ is very good

kate is ok, as is vscode

i really don't find the "extremely tiny visual representation of the file in the side panel" an acceptable navigation method

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

windows 10 is free why would you use a second-rate os?

right, it’s free because it’s a second rate os

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i really don't find the "extremely tiny visual representation of the file in the side panel" an acceptable navigation method

I do, but you can turn that off if you don’t like it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't always write c#, but when i have to i use visual studio without resharper because that poo poo is a hog

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fiedler posted:

The third party plugin is probably causing your issues. Best to uninstall it.
I used visual studio every day for the past 19 years in various companies and configurations including using only microsoft stuff and it has consistently been a slow and buggy piece of trash with a disastrous UX

Which makes it all the more surprising that visual studio code is actually good

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Zlodo posted:

I used visual studio every day for the past 19 years in various companies and configurations including using only microsoft stuff and it has consistently been a slow and buggy piece of trash with a disastrous UX

still better than eclipse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse does a lot of stuff better but mostly maven is way better than msbuild

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Zlodo posted:

Sounds like you should upgrade from Visual Studio 97, then.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
anything made by microsoft is trash for idiots, hth

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
same for anything that's written by anyone in javascript

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

eclipse does a lot of stuff better but mostly maven is way better than msbuild

you're normally right about Microsoft stuff but here you're wrong.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse autocomplete is miles better than vs intellisense. also ur crazy if you think msbuild isn't garbage

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

what do you have against msbuild?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a procedural build system so its a pain in the rear end to configure and use. id rather have a declarative system like maven where I just configure the pom and be done w/ it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

It's declarative. Look at a .net core csproj file.

• Locked thread