Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, is the eighth entry in the Fire Emblem series of tactical RPGs from Nintendo. It was the third and final FE on the GBA, before the series returned to its console roots with Path Of Radiance on the GameCube.

Notably, it is a weird little game, often derided for a few years after its release by fans who didn’t like some of the decisions it made. The basic play cycle of Sacred Stones is very similar to other games in the series, especially its GBA contemporaries, but it contains some features that are usually never seen in FE games. A world map with grinding opportunities, a faction of monstrous units, and split promotions, things unseen since the (other) series black sheep, Fire Emblem Gaiden.

If all of that sounds familiar to you, it’s because Sacred Stones fits the definition of “vindicated by history”. These oddball elements would later be incorporated into the game that is often cited as saving the series, critical and fan darling Fire Emblem: Awakening. Sacred Stones remains a bit of an outlier, still the only game with zero plot ties to any other FE, but it deserves its time in the spotlight.

What’s this LP, though?

Oh, yeah. So hi, I’m Hippoman, and a wizard cursed me to LP the handheld Fire Emblem games, backwards.

This is going to be a Mostly 100% LP. What that means is that I’ll be covering each and every map, recruiting all of the game’s characters, and completing both possible routes at the game’s route split. We will be playing on Hard Mode, and all of the characters will survive to the end.

I can’t guarantee I’ll get all the non-canon bonus characters, because that’s a lot of offscreen grinding, but they will, at the very least, be described with statblocks and profiles.

Some updates will include bonus Support conversations and/or Cipher artwork.

Temporary Note: Right now, I’m also working on another LP, so updates for this may come slower than usual with my FE threads. This should let up once I finish my other project. I was just really in the mood to play SS again.

Will there be thread voting?

You bet! In Sacred Stones, almost every character that promotes can promote into one of two classes. These decisions will, of course, be made by the folks at home. I’ll also be needing a decision on which character’s route is “canon” later in the game, as I can do both, but the experience and items from only one will count in the end.

Thread Rules?

1. Put story spoilers in tags! I know this game is old enough that even Nintendo spoils it in the mobile game, but I want to respect it at least a little bit for people who want to enjoy the plot as it goes along.

2. I know about the Eirika and Ephraim theory. It’s weird and I don’t want the thread to derail talking about it. Disgusting.jpg whatever.

I want other Fire Emblem LPs!

The LP Archive is chock full of ‘em! Go check that out. Blastinus did a great LP of this game, which you should definitely read once I muck up this one.

Moulder?

the boulder

Table Of Contents

Prologue: Rising From A Fall

Chapter 1: Wario's Woods

Chapter 2: Axe Me Anything

Chapter 3: Another Brick In The Wall

Chapter 4: The Priest, The Prodigy, and the Putrefied Corpse (Prep)

Chapter 4: The Priest, The Prodigy, and the Putrefied Corpse (Battle)

Chapter 5: Serafeud (Prep)

Chapter 5: Serafeud (Battle)

Chapter 5x: Castle Crashers (Prep)

Chapter 5x: Castle Crashers (Battle)

Chapter 6: That Part With The Big Spider (Prep)

Fan Art

Vilkacis immediately improves Hansel's character about 18 maps before he ever actually shows up in the game.

Moulder needed little improvement but it is provided anyway.

I think this is an anime reference but I only watch Yugioh and Jojo's so this must be dragonball?

Gilliam is not intimidating, and is a beautiful man who just wants to hold his flowers.

New Wave Jose will never let go.

Grizzwold and Megane might have edited Lute here but I honestly can't tell, she looks normal to me.

Camel Pimp buffed Ross.

vilkacis presents a challenger.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Prologue: Rising From A Fall

Well, this is a familiar sight.

And so is this! Could it be another Archanean adventure, with our beloved Prince Marth and his friends?

No, forget that, we’re going to this continent now.

STARRING: BOGO Protagonists!

Hatvarre!

The Best Character!

A Mysterious Tablet!

Game Imbalance!

Impossible Haircut Dragon!

Spooky Tablet!

And the Not-Yet-Important-Enough-To-Be-In-Heroes duo.

Can they overcome their perilous ancient foes?

Probably. It’s Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones!

This was the last English Fire Emblem game I played, before the 3DS games came out. It doesn’t hold as dear a place in my heart as its predecessor, Blazing Sword, but I still enjoy it.

I know Sacred Stones can be a somewhat contentious game, but I think it’s a quality piece of work that I’d like to show off.

And, to do that, we’ve got to start from the beginning.

Already here’s one of the most controversial bits of Sacred Stones, the difficulty. This game has a reputation for being too easy. I sort of agree, though there are some mid-game chapters that are absolutely cruel. The game overall doesn’t provide quite the challenge most other FEs do.

To help try and mitigate that, I’ll be playing on Difficult, the hardest available difficulty. They haven’t come up with Maniac yet, give them another game.

In its despair, mankind appealed to the heavens, and from a blinding light came hope.

The heavens literally just threw rocks at mankind.

The hero Grado and his warriors used the Sacred Stones to combat evil’s darkness. They defeated the Demon King and sealed his soul away within the stones. With the darkness imprisoned, peace returned to Magvel.

The Sacred Stones have been passed from generation to generation. Nations have been built around their power and their legacy.

This is another one of those fantasy worlds where leadership qualifications mostly include “my grandpa owned a really cool magic rock”.

His class is not Warrior.

His class is not Sage.

Okay, you get a break.

The Divine Emperor must possess a forehead shiny enough to reflect the gods.

I love how they slip Carcino in here. It’s the exposition equivalent of “Special Guest Star: These guys!” They didn’t even name their leader here!

In times of peace, tales of the past conflict have drifted into legend, and memories of the ancient dark arts have all but evaporated. It is now the year 803… In an instant, the whole of Magvel is threatened by an unexpected atrocity.

The Grado Empire, the largest of the Sacred Stones nations, has invaded the kingdom of Renais under orders from Emperor Vigarde.

I like how Fado looks kind of annoyed at the narration in his portrait. “I mounted a little resistance!”

Gotta suck to be one of those two mounted units stuck marching with the beefy armored guy halfway across the drat continent.

That seems a little pessimistic. Maybe with some superior tactics, we can save Renais!

Or, I mean, maybe not.

: The castle gate has been breached. Emperor Vigarde’s forces are within the castle walls.

: I understand.

: The garrison has fallen. We’ve lost contact with Prince Ephraim and can expect no aid from his men. Your majesty, what are we to do?

: Order your men to lay down their arms.

I see two perfectly good Knights and two Generals outside. You guys could easily chokepoint this room, just saying.

: Eirika. Are you wearing the bracelet I gave you?

It’s nice that King Dad is so concerned about his daughter’s accessorizing that he’s willing to stop and ask in the middle of a conquest.

: Yes, I have it right here.

: Good. Seth.

: Take Eirika and head for Frelia. King Hayden is an honorable man. I trust he will keep you safe.

: Understood. And what of Your Majesty?

: Me? I shall remain here. We have long held Grado among our dearest allies, yet now, they attack? I must know why.

This seems like something you do when the war starts, not when it’s about to end in a crushing defeat.

Nevertheless, Fado’s a little :smith: about this whole situation, and I can’t say I blame him.

: Father, you can’t stay! You mustn’t! If you remain behind, then so shall I!

: Go now, Seth! Ride! Take her to safety!

Seth’s sprite kinda tramples Eirika’s here. It’s supposed to be him grabbing her and pulling her onto the horse, but GBA sprite limitations are a thing.

: Forgive me, your highness.

Seth gallops off, along with that other horseman who just didn’t get a line in this scene.

And the room fills with Grado’s goons. I’m kinda thankful they aren’t making me do this battle.

: Franz, ride ahead and bring word of our coming to Frelia. A single rider has better odds of passing unseen by Grado’s men. Convey to the throne all that has happened here and petition for reinforcements.

: U-understood!

Well, they don’t look friendly

Definitely not friendly.

: Well, this must be my lucky day. You’re a dead man. The wench goes with me.

: Never!

Oh poo poo, combat time!

This is a way cooler line than Valter deserves, to be honest.

I’ll be explaining the basics of Fire Emblem combat later, for the unfamiliar. This is just a cutscene, but we can already see that Seth’s in a lot of trouble. He at least does a decent amount of damage.

welp

It went clean through his horse!

: Ahhh… No!

Still, can’t underestimate that Paladin movement.

: How entertaining. Fly away, little man. Try to outrun death. More time to savor the hunt… and the kill.

Valter can fly, so there’s honestly no excuse for him not to catch up here. I think he’s just lazy.

: If we’ve made it this far, we’ve surely earned a moment’s rest. Please forgive my grabbing you so… brusquely earlier.

: Don’t be foolish, Seth. If it weren’t for you, I would never have made it out of the castle. You are the reason I’m still alive. You have my gratitude. And whoever that man was, he was clearly after me…

He introduced himself by screaming his name and his title, Eirika.

I’m pretty sure he’s

: It’s my fault that you received such a grave wound. Allow me to treat it, I-

: Your highness, I can’t allow an injury like this to be an obstacle. We have more important matters to attend to. We must press on to Frelia. We must fulfill His Majesty’s wishes.

It was only 17 HP, swig a Concoction and that enormous lance shaped wound will disappear in no time.

: And what of my brother on the Grado front? We’ve heard nothing from him in days.

: King Fado and Prince Ephraim are both valiant and brave men. I doubt even the might of the Grado Empire can hold them in check. More important to me, Your Highness, is that you look to your own safety. How sad the two of them would be if something were to happen to you. We must reach Frelia to ensure the day of your happy reunion.

: Yes, of course. You’re right. Until I’m reunited with my father and brother, I must not despair. Come, Seth, let us go.

I guess getting to Frelia will bring Honor to Us All.

: Let us proceed, Princess Eirika. Your highness, I won’t lie to you. This will not be an easy ride. Please, take this rapier. If something should happen to me, you must continue to Frelia, alone if need be.

Frelia is like 10 steps away, Seth.

This, however, I certainly won’t turn down.

Especially not now. We’ve got company.

: Grado’s men. Stand back, Princess Eirika.

: It’s all right, Seth. My brother has taught me something of swordplay. I will stand with you.

Oh hey, it’s gameplay time! I’m going to explain the basics, so if you’re a series fan or you’ve read other LPs, you can probably safely skim this next bit.

Fire Emblem plays out on a turn-based grid. The player moves all of their units, then the enemy moves theirs, and so on. Right now, we have only two units, Seth and Eirika, and the chapter ends when we defeat the enemy Boss, the unit with the shield on him. Let’s take a look at Eirika.

Eirika is a Lord, an exclusive class for main characters. If a Lord dies in combat, you get a Game Over. If you lose anyone else, they are permanently killed! Don’t worry about that little Light symbol for now, it just denotes that Eirika is of the Light affinity. More on that later.

Let’s talk about Base Stats. These are the stats the unit has when it joins. There are nine numerical stats.

HP is your life gauge.
Strength (or Magic for Magical units) is added to the Might score of your weapon to determine your attack damage.
Skill helps decide your chance to hit in battle and score critical hits for triple damage.
Speed effects dodge chance, and determines if the character will strike the enemy twice in battle. (Speed >or= Enemy Speed +4) We call it "doubling".
Luck affects your chance to dodge in battle, and lowers enemy crit rate.
Defense is subtracted from the damage of enemy physical attacks.
Resistance is Defense, but for magical attacks.
Constitution is a dumb stat that determines if equipping heavy weapons will slow your effective speed in battle or not. If the weapon’s weight is more than your Con, the difference is deducted from your speed when the game determines if you double/get doubled/dodge. Constitution cannot increase through level ups.
Movement is how many squares your character can move. Movement cannot increase through level ups.

The last stat I have on that sheet is Weapon Rank. There are many types of weapons in Fire Emblem, but Eirika here can only use Swords, and right now, only those that are E Rank or below (but there is nothing below E Rank). Using a weapon will get you experience in that area, and eventually allow you to use better weapons.

As a character, Eirika is a pretty effective Lord! Her greatest weakness is her low durability, making her vulnerable to enemy attacks, but she can dish out damage and dodge in a pinch. She’ll stay fairly relevant throughout the whole game.

Seth over here is also on our team, though he’s a bit beaten up from his encounter with .

Now, if you’re familiar with Fire Emblem, but not this game, you’ve probably got Seth pegged as a Jagen. See, traditionally, Fire Emblem games will give you a very powerful Paladin towards the beginning of the game, but they have terrible growth rates in their stats and suck up experience like a vacuum, meaning that if you overuse them, you get stuck with one eventually lovely unit and a bunch of underleveled suckers. These are named “Jagens” after the first example, the titular Sir Jagen, Greatest Hero Of Altea. Now, Seth…

Seth is like Jagen but if you take out all the bad parts. Seth is broken to a degree that puts him on a pedestal near characters like FE10 Haar and Ike or FE14 Xander. Not only is he extremely strong now, his solid growths will keep him afloat for the entire game. He doesn’t excel in anything later, but right now, he excels at EVERYTHING.

So Eirika will confront these Fighters.

Seth will leave and not interfere in this chapter again. While he is great, he earns very little EXP from fighting these low level enemies. This will be much more beneficial going to Eirika.

On their first turn, the first Fighter swings for Eirika and misses. You can see the Hit Rates, Crit Chances, and Damage the units will inflict on this screen in combat.

Not only does Eirika strike back, she does so twice! She’s fast enough to double this foe, dealing 14 (Eirika’s Attack Value-his Defense, multiplied by two)damage to his dumb mug.

On her next turn, I choose not to have Eirika attack. If I do, the bandit stands a chance at hitting her, since you always attack first in battle on your turn. Then, when she kills him, if the other bandit hit, he’d kill her. I know that’s me planning around less than a 25% chance, but that’s pretty key in Fire Emblem. Ask the playthrough of this map that I lost to pretty much that exact problem.

He doesn’t hit, but he could have!

And, as expected, his buddy moves in to avenge his death.

You might be wondering why Eirika seems to have such an advantage here. Well, part of it is that these are tutorial goons. Another part is the Weapon Triangle!

Melee weapons adhere to a Rock-Paper-Scissors style Triangle in Fire Emblem. Swords beat Axes, Axes beat Lances, Lances beat Swords. Magic has a similar Triangle, Light beats Dark, Dark beats Anima, Anima beats Light.

Having advantage gives you bonuses to damage and accuracy, so it’s always good to try and keep the upper hand.

That chump didn’t last long, and now we’re onto the boss.

Speaking of advantage, let’s grab some in the form of Terrain. Since this is a Forest tile, Eirika will gain 1 Defense and an extra 20% added to her dodge chance if she’s occupying it.

I have her go there and use this Vulnerary from her inventory. Vulneraries have 3 uses (which I foolishly blocked with a text box in this shot. Oops) and restore 10 HP.

Right as rain! Bring on the boss. Most bosses don’t move.

O’Neill here is an exception.

Yes, the Fighter animation is that good. I love it.

You can use the R button on a unit to examine their stats and inventory. Poor O’Neill here seems to have zero luck. Huh.

Again, I didn’t attack here. O’Neill stood the chance of hitting Eirika here, then hitting her again on his turn, which would have been fatal. This is a pretty basic tactic for fighting bosses in these games.

This time I do. When you’re about to attack, you can see this combat forecast. Let’s bring it home.

Eirika even pops a crit to finish him off, dealing 30 damage to his poor remaining 4 HP. That’s a little cruel, Eirika, but I appreciate the initiative.

Bosses are worth a lot of experience. Enough for a level up!

Level Ups in this game are somewhat randomized. Each time you level up, the character has a chance at gaining a point in all their stats. Whether or not they do is determined by their growth rates, character-based percentages that are rolled each level up.

Eirika hit her HP (70%), Skill (60%), Luck (60%), and Defense (30%). That Defense is a really nice roll, I’ll need that in the chapters to come, and it’s a bit hard to come by on Eirika.

Map Complete! :toot:

They don’t have a screen for that in this one. I might have to make my own.

: What? Oh, no...I’m fine, Seth.

: But you look so pale…

: I’m fine… Fine. …This is war, isn’t it?

: I never thought-I didn’t know it would be this...savage. Are words useless? Is strength all that matters? It’s so sad… Why would the Grado Empire do this? To what end would they start a war?

I do like this bit a lot. It sets up Eirika’s character very well, especially in contrast to a certain other blue haired lord...in this game. I just realized how vague that could have been.

: Princess…

: ...Don’t worry, Seth. I won’t give in to sorrow. Let’s get moving. I’m not broken, and I won’t stop until I see Renais restored.

Well, we’ve got a goal.

Next time we’ll get the hell out of Renais.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 25, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another Fire Emblem LP!

Another LordHippoman LP! :neckbeard:

I swear I've read at least two Sacred Stones LPs on SA, but none by LordHippoman, so this will still be great.

The con system is bullshit by the way, especially in how it mostly screws over female characters.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Did you consider doing a challenge lp of some sort instead of a normal run through the game? Maybe use a very limited team, or using the randomizer? Stock gba fire emblem isn't very interesting anymore, imo.

Oh and as for Eirika, she's so-so. Decent growths all around but low strength and her swordlock make her do weak damage, her low defense and hp get her 2shot, and her unreliable dodge isn't helping. Though she will start dodging reliably with levels.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

DID SOMEONE SAY FIRE EMBLEM THREAD I GOT HERE AS QUICKLY AS I COULD

Ahem.

Please install the custom animation SD9000 made that actually gives him a hat

quote:

The Best Character!

Ah, I see you also are a m... an ambiguously gendered internet person of culture. :hf:

quote:

The Divine Emperor must possess a forehead shiny enough to reflect the gods.

He does!

:ssh:

quote:

Constitution is a dumb stat

I will fight you constitution is cool and good intsys just suck at using it

(Might I suggest flipping the character portraits so they face the text?)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 25, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can't recall my Fire Emblems any more, is Best Character named Larchesis (sp?) or something like that?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Torrannor posted:

I can't recall my Fire Emblems any more, is Best Character named Larchesis (sp?) or something like that?

Close!

And she'd be the best if you got her earlier. The best character wasn't in the intro screen.

This was my first Fire Emblem game. I had a good time with it, and went right to the other one that got released in America on the GBA. Imagine my surprise when not everyone got 4-5 stats every level up in that one.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I swear I've read at least two Sacred Stones LPs on SA, but none by LordHippoman, so this will still be great.

The con system is bullshit by the way, especially in how it mostly screws over female characters.

Much appreciated. I know SS is a fairly heavily covered game, but I haven't seen an LP make it all the way to completion in my time on the forums, so I decided to take a swing at it.

And don't worry, there will be Con Complaints.

Torrannor posted:

L'Arachel<-Name Spoilers if that like, bothers anybody.

Lachesis is in FE4.

Dance Officer posted:

Stock gba fire emblem isn't very interesting anymore, imo.

This is a totally valid opinion! I did toy with the idea of a challenge run of some sort, but I personally have never been a huge fan of them and tend to burn out. I also wanted to keep the LP fairly "basic", so if there are people reading who aren't familiar with FE in general, it would be pretty simple to process. I think there's a market for a more complex FE8 LP, I just don't think I'm the one to do it.

If you want a really impressive LP that deals more with the technical aspects of the game, I'd recommend Melth's FE7 LP, or if mods are more your thing, Vilkacis' FE6 run is a thing of beauty.

I'm overjoyed that you're here to establish a fan art section in like the fourth post, thank you again. :allears:

vilkacis posted:

(Might I suggest flipping the character portraits so they face the text?)

Whoops. Forgot a step in the portrait prep. Going to replace those files in just a minute here.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Imagine my surprise when not everyone got 4-5 stats every level up in that one.

Years of DS Fire Emblem have made me embrace these levels with actual stats like they are water in a desert. My practice run Eirika did manage to get a 1 Point level in this map, though. After dodging every hit in the map. Luck is a non-renewable resource.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Luck is VERY renewable. If you level two of the healers to 20, they become almost completely untouchable. The ability to dodge-tank in this game is absolutely hilarious if you imagine an entire army taking aim at a frail little cleric and none of them managing to hit her.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Neat, an LP of a Fire Emblem that I know basically nothing about, I look forward to it. Why are most of Seth's growths 45% or higher? That doesn't seem right (as in, IntSys hosed up with him, he's too good).

Also, I humbly request that we get gifs of crit animations, or at least the flashier ones, because they're one of the most satisfying/infuriating parts of playing Fire Emblem.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ZeButler posted:

That doesn't seem right (as in, IntSys hosed up with him, he's too good).

Relax its not like he's capable of soloing the game or anything.
he totally can

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Defense on Eirika's first level is very good, but I don't expect to see two runs with a Diamond Eirika (where she gets like eight Defense gains in a row and becomes unstoppable) in my lifetime, but we'll see.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ZeButler posted:

Why are most of Seth's growths 45% or higher? That doesn't seem right (as in, IntSys hosed up with him, he's too good).

IntSys hosed up with him, and he's too good. :v:

Seriously at least in normal difficulty, a so-called "Seth Solo Run" is easier then a normal run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

vilkacis posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY FIRE EMBLEM THREAD I GOT HERE AS QUICKLY AS I COULD
a LordHippoman FE thread

truly, today is a good day

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Aw yeah, ground floor on a Hippoman FE LP

Though you seem to have forgotten part of your explanation of the speed stat

quote:

Speed helps your character either hit twice in battle (Speed >or= Enemy Speed +4)

Speed also helps determine how likely you are to evade an attack

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

ZeButler posted:

Also, I humbly request that we get gifs of crit animations, or at least the flashier ones, because they're one of the most satisfying/infuriating parts of playing Fire Emblem.

I would love to. I'm on a new setup and it's currently having some issues with GifCam, but I agree that a lot of the crit animations in the GBA games are lovely. I'll do my best here.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Aw yeah, ground floor on a Hippoman FE LP

Though you seem to have forgotten part of your explanation of the speed stat

Speed also helps determine how likely you are to evade an attack

Thanks, I forgot that was a thing in this game! Been playing too much Heroes, I no longer know what Dodge Chance is.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

FoolyCharged posted:

Relax its not like he's capable of soloing the game or anything.
he totally can

Yeah, he's basically Sigurd, but with an actual weakness of "I can't level up as quickly as other units".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah good, my favorite fire emblem

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I like Fire Emblem LPs. I like watching the numbers go up! Or not go up! I enjoy watching LPers swear at numbers not going up! :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For some reason I could 100% FE7 with no difficulties or real fatalities but in Sacred Stones it was a murdermill for my troops. I ended up with half of them dead and holding out for the next npc of the class that just died. I didn't grind much until it was too late. :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

FE8 was my first FE, so i'm real excited for this LP! though con was a garbage stat that no one misses. :colbert:

by the way, will you be putting in music links of the ost?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Stones is cool, I liked it a bunch

Tellius games are still my favorite tho

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Awesome! FE7 was my first fire emblem game, but this is the one that got me to really love the series.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ah good, my favorite fire emblem

:same:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Still salty about getting timeout for saying 'wench'. Its not an E rated word translation team! :argh:

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Gunna hop on the bandwagon and say that I did a Duo run with Seth and Eirika support lovers cleaving a bloody swathe across the battlefield with literally no trouble. Eirika was more of a support goon and just tried not to get attacked though. Seth did most of the heavy lifting, which just reminded me of those old stories of the valiant knight fighting off hundreds of enemies to protect his princess...

Let's just say FE8 is my favorite as well and be done with it. Strangely enough, it doesn't have my favorite Lord, just my favorite support characters.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Ooh, a FE LP I can follow from the beginning now that I have an account. Nice.

I always liked this game, even if somehow it manages to be less compelling than many of the others. I don't know what it is, because it's got a lot of the same bog-standard FE plot tropes as the other games, there are still plenty of likeable characters, and some of the supports are compelling (maybe it's just that it tends to get compared to, say, 7 and 9), but it still just feels more generic to me. But hey, it's not like it's Shadow Dragon or anything.

As many times as I've played this game, would you believe I've never used Seth? I'm well aware of how good he is, but Paladins were never my favourite class to begin with and kid-me was burned so badly by overusing Marcus in FE7 that I instinctively refused to use him when this came out. Whenever I replay this, I always end up wanting to use other people and never end up bothering with him.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Woooo! In at the ground floor!

FE8 holds some fond memories for me as my first FE, played on a VBA emulator, so for that reason it'll always hold a special place in my heart. There are more interesting ones around, and in hindsight I can see why someone used to Eliwood Hard Mode/Hector Normal in FE7 or Hector Hard if you really, really hated yourself would find it a tad easy in comparison, but it's still great fun, and the cast of secondary characters are varied and interesting.

Can't wait to see where this run is going.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Wow, the feedback so far is good! Thanks for that!

Fair warning, though, my update pace is likely to be a little slow, because this is currently kind of a secondary LP, and I do need to show some love to the primary one.

RBA Starblade posted:

For some reason I could 100% FE7 with no difficulties or real fatalities but in Sacred Stones it was a murdermill for my troops. I ended up with half of them dead and holding out for the next npc of the class that just died. I didn't grind much until it was too late. :v:

While Sacred Stones is, I think, easier overall than FE7, it has a few maps that can pretty easily take you by surprise and ruin your day. Mostly talking about Ghost Ship and Father And Son, which are massive spikes that can easily get a lot of your guys wiped out.

Booky posted:

FE8 was my first FE, so i'm real excited for this LP! though con was a garbage stat that no one misses. :colbert:

by the way, will you be putting in music links of the ost?

I don't have personal access to the OST, unfortunately, and I don't really want to embed stuff from a stranger's Youtube channel. Sorry!

Explopyro posted:

But hey, it's not like it's Shadow Dragon or anything.

Somewhere Marth is weeping.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ZeButler posted:

Neat, an LP of a Fire Emblem that I know basically nothing about, I look forward to it. Why are most of Seth's growths 45% or higher? That doesn't seem right (as in, IntSys hosed up with him, he's too good).
The answer is that Seth belongs to the sub-category of the Jagen archetype, wherein they actually are good units and actually viable enough to last to the endgame. Frederick from Awakening is another example of this, but what differentiates Frederick from Seth is that Frederick has access to reclassing and can improve how he turns out (and Awakening has a few other changes from Sacred Stones under the hood, despite owing a lot to Sacred Stones' design). Seth, on the other hand, has only his growths and bases to ride on and by Naga do they not disappoint. Despite being cut from an archetype known for being an absolute crutch, Seth can and will dominate the field like nobody's business.

Although Hippoman, the jokes about Carcino are made more hilarious when you realize the only way to find out the lone party member from Carcino is from there is to pull up his unit text in the stat window. Nowhere else is that information revealed.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Everyone else has royal families with their legitimacy tracing back to the days of legend, but the merchant republic? Nah, gently caress those guys, they don't have a fancy rock in their genealogy so clearly the Fantasy Hansa just does not count. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Carcino is the Pyrathi of obscure Fire Emblem locations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bibliosabreur posted:

Everyone else has royal families with their legitimacy tracing back to the days of legend, but the merchant republic? Nah, gently caress those guys, they don't have a fancy rock in their genealogy so clearly the Fantasy Hansa just does not count. :v:

They should have kicked someone's rear end and stolen a rock.

It worked for the Feroxi, after all.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'll definitely be following this LP. Sacred Stones was fun, but I was never able to finish it.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Luck is VERY renewable. If you level two of the healers to 20, they become almost completely untouchable. The ability to dodge-tank in this game the GBA games as a whole is absolutely hilarious if you imagine an entire army taking aim at a frail little cleric and none of them managing to hit her.

FTFY. Seriously, dodge tanking in GBA was insane due to the dodge formula, true hit and enemies not really having a lot of skill. It got to the point I honestly didny care about HP and defense as much since my frail rear end mages could avoid and kill dozens of enemy units per enemy phase.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also don't forget that the enemy AI decides who to attack based on who it can theoretically kill, and not on who it can most easily do the most amount of damage to. The AI will dogpile a dodge tank even when their displayed hit is <20 because they'd do a ton of damage if they actually connected, even though they never do.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

bibliosabreur posted:

Woooo! In at the ground floor!

FE8 holds some fond memories for me as my first FE, played on a VBA emulator, so for that reason it'll always hold a special place in my heart. There are more interesting ones around, and in hindsight I can see why someone used to Eliwood Hard Mode/Hector Normal in FE7 or Hector Hard if you really, really hated yourself would find it a tad easy in comparison, but it's still great fun, and the cast of secondary characters are varied and interesting.

Can't wait to see where this run is going.
Hector Hard Mode really wasn't hate yourself levels of hard. Even Fe6 and 10's hard modes weren't that hard, and they were a lot more challenging than what Fe7 could throw at you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Wow, the feedback so far is good! Thanks for that!

Fair warning, though, my update pace is likely to be a little slow, because this is currently kind of a secondary LP, and I do need to show some love to the primary one.

People really like Sacred Stones. It was one of the games that people found a lot easier compared to like, Tharica 776. Also people just like this and the Hector game a lot.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I've never read a LordHippoman LP before, and this first post has convinced me that I am severely missing out. All the cool usability and added stuff tweaks Sacred Stones gave the game were pretty cool in my eyes, and I loved the game for them even if it was too easy. (In this regard it's like my other favourite handheld odd-man-out game, Etrian Odyssey 4. Right down to being bizzarely easy for its series.) I haven't gotten burned out on FE LPs yet, by virtue of managing to avoid the huge majority of them since the Radiant Dawn one Fedule did years and years ago, so I'm all abuzz for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vdate posted:

I've never read a LordHippoman LP before, and this first post has convinced me that I am severely missing out. All the cool usability and added stuff tweaks Sacred Stones gave the game were pretty cool in my eyes, and I loved the game for them even if it was too easy. (In this regard it's like my other favourite handheld odd-man-out game, Etrian Odyssey 4. Right down to being bizzarely easy for its series.) I haven't gotten burned out on FE LPs yet, by virtue of managing to avoid the huge majority of them since the Radiant Dawn one Fedule did years and years ago, so I'm all abuzz for this.

You should absolutely read more/play Binding Blade yourself and then go check out vilkacis' 'hack the game for fun and hijinks' LP. It is a SIGHT to behold.

• Locked thread