Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

DID SOMEONE SAY FIRE EMBLEM THREAD I GOT HERE AS QUICKLY AS I COULD

Ahem.

Please install the custom animation SD9000 made that actually gives him a hat

quote:

The Best Character!

Ah, I see you also are a m... an ambiguously gendered internet person of culture. :hf:

quote:

The Divine Emperor must possess a forehead shiny enough to reflect the gods.

He does!

:ssh:

quote:

Constitution is a dumb stat

I will fight you constitution is cool and good intsys just suck at using it

(Might I suggest flipping the character portraits so they face the text?)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Boulder!! He has blessed you with some fine level-ups.

LordHippoman posted:

Leave this castle immediately. If you harm me, my father and brother will chase you to the earth’s end.

Breguet’s a knight, wouldn’t be that hard.

I don't know who was guarding that gate, but it sure wasn't Sir Baguette here because you just murdered him.

quote:

Iron is the lightest and easiest to wield type of weapon (D Rank), but it has the least might.

I hope the answer to the obvious question "what about slim weapons?" is just "what about slim weapons?"

quote:

That's a really good :smug: there, Tana.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy

:f5:

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have never used moulder, and never will

The 'Stache has judged you. It has found you wanting.

biosterous posted:

vilkacis, please post the Moulder flexing gifs

(maybe after we've seen him in action actually?)

Nay.

Shan't.

I had to gently caress with spell animations to make these and fuuuuuuck spell animations. People tell me the new tools are much better, but those people are liars and scoundrels and horrible horrible people!

LordHippoman posted:

Seth’s route just says “go south”.

I mean, the logic works out, he just goes south, and whatever might in the way, he leaves nothing but level ground for the rest of the party to follow :v:

quote:

I know a lot of people don’t like the writing in this game as much as Blazing Sword

Well those people are wrong. :colbert:

Also if you're going to be using the trainees, please for the love of gently caress do something different with them, it'd really suck to see them go the exact same way as in the previous thread...

theshim posted:

Garcia is Dorcas 2.0, down to that 20% speed growth. I always bench him :argh:

Dastard!

LordHippoman posted:

Dorcas rules and is a friend to all.

:colbert:

...well, I say that as if I've never benched a Dorcas... :negative:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

And if you're going through the effort of raising the trainees, why would you want to gimp yourself?

If you want to play optimally, you wouldn't be using the trainees to begin with. Ross isn't awful to use since he comes in so early, but he's still an "I use you because I like you" unit.

And berserker only overtakes hero in strength around like... level 10/20/11. It's a couple of points by the very end of the game, if you actually reach the level cap.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I feel like Ross ought to be made a Warrior solely on the basis of nobody ever using Warriors.

I feel like Ross ought to be a warrior because I want to be a warrior is like 80% of his personality. Might as well let the kid!

Oh, and also because

:v:

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Everyone has a unit in FE that should be amazing, but never works out for them. Ross is that person for me.

Ross shouldn't be "amazing", though. Like, he's okay if you train him, but the reward isn't so much an invincible super unit (compared to if you put the same amount of effort into any other Sacred Stones character) as it is seeing him grow from zero to (possibly literally) hero. His expected speed with 50 levels and two promotions under his belt is like... 18.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It is true, I'm in a state of quantum exmblemcistense. :ghost:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have any edits for this one :saddowns:

LordHippoman posted:

Neimi can turn out useful, but I don’t find it happening to me very often, and the effort required could be used on someone more reliable. ... This time we’re going to abuse this by stalling out the map and letting Ross get as many kills over walls as possible with his trusty Hatchet.

This is archer discrimination, I'm going to sue :colbert:

I mean Neimi does suck, but it's still funny seeing you go straight from turning your nose up at spending effort on a unit to I'mma use the trainee!

quote:

The level up quality has been rapidly decreasing since that Breguet map.

No, no, I'm sorry but you're going to Fire Emblem jail for complaining about a peg knight level with strength in it.

quote:

If you’re annoyed that I’m using this silly loophole, please imagine two burly men repeatedly hurling a mustached priest around the room, only to repeat the process, and you’ll feel better.

Fanart? Anyone?! Fanart?!?

quote:

Shadow Wrys.

A shameful shadow. Not bald, not as powerful.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Con is cool and good, IS just used it terribly.

Offsetting weight with strength is just awful. Str did not need to be better than it already was! It's already one of the like, 2-3 "good" stats! The only thing dumber would be tying it to speed, to truly cement it as the Best Stat. Hey, I got a point of spd, but it also offsets my weapon's weight by one, so it's effectively two points of spd! :catdrugs::hf::flashfap:

If you wanted to tie weight into one of the regular stats, skill would be more appropriate. Although then you'd have to make sure classes like knights actually have decent bases in that.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 8, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

And what would her handle be?

@superiorafterall

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I’d have made a paint.net mockup of this, but I feel like I couldn’t do it justice.

Same, but I'm not going to let that stop me!

Shitenshi posted:

Apparently Neimi was supposed to reference Colm in that support convo, as spoiler character has no supports with her and it's never once referenced that they know each other. Just a translation error.

Makes sense since he was "Coma" originally, if the text had been translated but the names not changed yet, and then someone came across it and mistook it for poorly typed Cormag...

Keldulas posted:

Artur's ... incredibly forgettable

Looks like someone wasn't invited to the round table with the rest of us :colbert:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 12, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Weeble posted:

Doesn't even have an ahoge.

Only because all his hair does that!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Hey, Excalibur is a wind tome! He can't use that as a monk!

Well you should have told him that before he started using it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why do you have such an obsession with trying to make the lame characters cool

I just pick characters who amuse me and I disagree that Moulder and Artur are lame :colbert:

(Well, I guess there's an element of, the less impressive the character, the funnier it is when they do something over the top. I could make a super badass Seth, but it wouldn't be as funny because he's ridiculously strong already.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

:allears:
Can you make a Gilliam with flowers?

No!!!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 12, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Man it's got to suck

when you open a Lute crate

and you just get regular Lute

instead of the Fat Lute you were expecting!

:razz:

Shiki Dan posted:

Ah, so we're not doing the "Super" Trainee route?

It's "new game +" only iirc. Requires a clear save.

quote:

Getting an extra point of Con is almost as good as a point of Speed, right??? :v:

It pretty much is. I just looked up the axe weights and pirate Ross still gets weighed down by anything other than iron (and his hatchet, but that's going to wear out quickly if you use it to train him).

And I mean, you'll be using a lot of iron axes, so it's still an advantage for the pirate! But it's not a huge one.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I say we go the third route...have vilkacis hack this game too and turn Ross into a Shaman

You think this is a joke? You think this is a mother loving game?!

(. . . I literally have not tested this at all.)

Well anyway, barring that I'm voting FIGHTER because it's what he wants and no one ever lets him do it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I'd like to keep the LP vanilla but I really must acknowledge that Vilkacis is an unstoppable force of good for Fire Emblem.

I'm a force for something, but I'm not sure I'd call it "good"...

bibliosabreur posted:

also Vilk I dunno about "fat" but that Lute looks like she's 50 years old, probably because of the wrinkles under the eyes

Either way, she's still superior :smuglute:

BlazetheInferno posted:

Better than that, it requires two completed files - you must have beaten BOTH of the two story-paths through this game in order to unlock the Super-Traineees.

Ouch. Thar's a lot of work for an axe user with 8 con promoted.

quote:

But anyone who makes Ross a Super-Trainee... well... they deserve what they get.

Well given it involves actually using a trainee to begin with, I'd say they're probably used to it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

These are both Good and you should both feel Good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

You are pretty amazing.

Yes. So I've been told.

quote:

How do you pronounce Lute? You seem to pronounce it close to loot? I tend to pronounce it as Lù-tay.

Like the actual English word "lute".

quote:

I like how no one speaks about the new game, because nothing was really shown.

Nah we just all agree that fe is ruined forever.

(Well that and even if it's allowed, this thread probably isn't most people's first choice for that discussion when there's a general fe thread available, and also every offsite community is currently going apeshit over it.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I Appreciate this.

But also ew, shut up Joshua no one wants to hear about your nun fetish.

quote:

Seth seems to kinda instinctively dart in front of Eirika when this stranger shows up. I know it’s probably just portrait limitations, but I’m taking it as a character thing. And you can’t stop me.

Yeah it is a portrait limitation, but I'm pretty sure Seth would be doing it regardless.

And if we need to pick one healer, it should be Moulder. I mean obviously, right?!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

...well now I gotta.

I'd dare say this makes fe8 2000% better

I sure hope you weren't expecting to hear any arguments to the contrary.

Wayne posted:

Fourth Wall nothing, I say that in the mirror at the end of all my workouts. :D ...what, is that just me? :sweatdrop:

I bet you're one of those weirdos who do the Crono fistpump every time you get out of bed too, you nerd!!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Why remove that? A flier trainee sounds radical as hell.

Her sprite's basically a dismounted peg knight anyway :v:

Explopyro posted:

Effective weapons in this game have a 2x weapon might multiplier, but Slayer uses 3x instead. I'm not sure if this was an oversight or intentional

IIRC the 2x effective damage is a "localization" change for the GBA games, probably to make it easier for the player when on the receiving end of it, but it was all 3x in the Japanese versions. I could see it going either way, oversight or ignored because the player will never eat Slayer.

quote:

It's really hard to justify choosing any promotion option other than Bishop for any character who can become one.

Eh, if you can get a horse instead, it's not a terrible trade.

Speaking of,

ninjahedgehog posted:

Like, objectively, Amelia is better as a General

Uh no. General Amelia is a meme, if you actually want her to be good then you make her a paladin.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Explopyro posted:

I'd thought it might have been that, but I wasn't completely sure, so thanks for confirming it.

Serenes' information on this is strange, now that I've gone and checked - they have the 3x in Japanese games versus 2x in localised for FE7, but for FE8 they claim it's just 2x for the S-rank weapons and Wind Sword, and 3x otherwise. No mention of localisation differences. That is... not at all consistent with my experience playing FE8, unless there's something seriously wrong with my memory.

Well, there's only one* way to find out. Science time, motherfuckers!

Rapier vs fighter...

...and rapier vs fighter after making the rapier effective vs fighters.

Rapier's mt is 7 (+1 wta). Eirika has 4 str, fighter has 5 def. 8x3 +4 -5 = 23. So it's indeed 3x in both versions.

And the S-rank sword has 18 (+1) mt. 19x2 +4 -5 = 37. So again, same in both versions.

* actually probably a lot more than that but hush I'm having fun here

Alxprit posted:

I made the character in question a general, didn't realize it was suboptimal cringe. They were still great though. But we'll talk about that when we get there.

I mean, the correct way to play FE is however you goddamn well want to. By not soloing the game with Seth, you've already decided not to play optimally anyway.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Roughly nothing that is the most efficient way to beat the game will happen in this LP. My endgame is "how many bad jokes per update can I cram" and "will GifCam finally decide to work for me by the end of this".

Good.

LordHippoman posted:

(Taking suggestions for what FPS to convert the gifs to because I've never done this before, whoops)

30 is probably your best bet. The game runs at 60, but that'll result in huge files for the flashier stuff, and browsers may have issues playing them if it goes over over like 50 iirc.

megane posted:

It's a shame Eirika's animations are so... uninspired. Lyn was so acrobatic, and then Eirika just does this bland fencing poke.

It's in character, though. And the game still gives us Ephraimcopter.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

Erika's fencing style is bland, but more competent than Roy's. Of course, it's difficult to match Eliwood's.

It's not Roy's fault that the only other person in the world who knows how to use a rapier is too sick to teach him and he had to learn everything from a crummy prepromoted mage and a guy who taught himself how to use an axe and only picked up a sword when he found one that was basically also an axe. He does his best, ok?!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

There's a beta sprite sheet for Eirika that makes her look much better and I do believe she moves much better too.

Ehhhh. Beta Eirika kinda just... slaps things with her sword. It's flashier, but it doesn't look like it deals damage.

quote:

Someone made a sprite edit of her and someone here on this forum at least had that as their avatar.

I wonder who that could have been. It must have been some incredibly clever and good looking individual for sure.

That's a nice-rear end Franz. He generally turns out pretty good for me, so it's not a surprise, just... nice. He'd probably be at least as good as Seth if you promoted him the moment he hit 10 at this rate.

quote:

:stare: I... can't recall ever seeing Joshua's enemy palette.

This isn't like, a "I'm so good at this and he never gets to attack me" moment, more a "by the time I get here, animations are 100% off" one.

quote:

:cawg:

Also: quality Jeigan Moment™ there. :allears:

(I'd probably sell the book to buy more iron swords though.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

bibliosabreur posted:

Wait...does she somehow start that swing one-handed but end it two-handed? How does that even work?

She... grabs it with the other hand before she hits someone with it? The beta sprite has issues, but I don't see that being one of them.

BlazeEmblem posted:

This is why I am disappointed that none of the characters have unique sprites (except for ones in unique classes) in this game. He doesn't have his hat when he fights.

There's a mod for that!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, it's hard to decide whose hat is better, Joshua or Freya's.

I mean Joshua's hat is good

but it's not that good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

I feel like the Western FE community enjoys swordmasters way too much and has way too much bias against Axe users. Even in the GBA trilogy, where speed and dodging are king.

The FE community generally seems to consider axes the best weapon type and swords the worst. Myrms tend to get poo poo on a lot for having no range and no strength and being inferior to mercs who deal better damage and promote to axes and thus 1-2 range. There just aren't a lot of good or interesting axe locked units, whereas the sword locked ones at least tend to have edgelord appeal.

quote:

We even have people in this topic implying that Ross is a bad unit when he has to be absolutely speed screwed in order to be mediocre, since Berserker is such an amazing class.

I'm not implying anything, I will tell you straight up that trainees are absolute trash garbage and the only reason to use them is because it's fun and satisfying seeing them grow. Even then, mechanically, you'd be better served training up Franz who joins five minutes earlier and starts at a low level but runs circles around Ross from the word go. Or Vanessa.

Again, the right way to play FE is definitely to use the characters you happen to like, but... Ross is still quite bad.

Sydin posted:

Bartre is an awful prepromote.

Bartre comes with 20+ str and twice as much hp, Bartre is cool and good :colbert:

Shiki Dan posted:

Here are the average stats of both Ross and Garcia at Level 13 Fighter:

That comparison is kind of useless because in order to make Ross a level 13 fighter, you have to feed him 21 levels, and he's only getting noticeably more exp than Garcia for the first 10ish. Give Garcia the same amount of kills, and he's not just going to be a level 13 fighter.

quote:

He comes equipped with his own special weapon that mitigates his Trainee class' critical flaws (low con, low skill).

It's not a prf though, so you're quite free to give it to Garcia instead, for those moments when the handaxe isn't quite accurate enough.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Give him a few years (or a vilkacis edit, seeing what happened to Roy).

However, I refuse.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sydin posted:

10 speed :barf:

...and slow. Cool and good, and slow.

But hey, you have to feed someone all those speedwings you're picking up!

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, he'll be a level 14 fighter because a handful of lvl 1-3 mooks aren't worth diddly exp by the time everyone is 13.

He can be a level 14 fighter by the time Ross even has the option to get out of Journeyman if you really want him to. Drop him on the fort and he'll solo most of the bandits on his joining chapter, give him the hatchet and he has good enough hitrates on the swordies on the next map to solo them too, and on the next you can just bench everybody and let him go to town. I actually just did this to see how it goes and he hit 14.95 after chapter 4 with no effort whatsoever. Or, better yet, you can do the same with Franz (because swords + fort means he can also solo the Bone Zone pretty reliably) and he's basically a second Seth before even promoting, again with less effort than it takes to feed Ross kills, and with considerably more utility than a level 1 pirate/fighter with doubling issues. Hell, have him solo chapter 5 too and he'll be like level 18 and you can promote him on the next map for absolute overkill.

I mean, "absolute trash garbage" is an exaggeration, and I'm pretty sure I already admitted that he's not awful to train, but the other units you get at the same time will still deliver better results faster, and even a trained Ross won't contribute anything especially amazing until his second promotion.

Camel Pimp posted:

(I am firmly in the "Ross is good, actually" camp)

Hiss! Grr!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

I have absolutely no idea how people can say Ross needs "babying" or needs going out of the way to work.

Even if he's free for two chapters (not three, you have to bench two people in chapter 4, then four in ch5), he costs a slot after that. If you're using your other units efficiently and not favouring him, Ross gains maybe 2-3 levels per map and probably won't promote until chapter 6. He is definitely the worst unit you have in chapter 4-5, barring maybe Neimi (who still provides something unique, and comes with a free C support making both her and Colm stronger). You have to deliberately bench a better unit for a worse one. If that's not going out of your way, what is? (You're also delaying Colm's promotion by... 5-6? chapters if you go berserker.)

And Garcia still makes better use of the hatchet.

On another note, though...

Well done, my boy! But you're 30 years too early to challenge me!

Nice filename

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The great hero Axebeard McBeardaxe may have been forgotten by history, but his bloodline lives on!

Also dark magic is rad and I wish we got more giant gba druid robes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Ephraim’s plan is literally “this is so dumb they will NEVER see it coming”

I see a lot of people interpreting it that way, but I always took it more as every soldier being sent to comb the countryside and no one thinking the castle will be attacked means they've left the place understaffed to the point where a small elite force attacking by surprise can overrun it.

Ephraim is kind of a meathead, but he's not "I'm just going to do the dumbest thing imaginable" levels of meathead.

(And "What harm could a little reckless besieging cause?" is another great line.)

Alxprit posted:

Monster maps are kind of like the "gaidens" of Sacred Stones, anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. Gaidens are generally unique maps with some story to them.

Shitenshi posted:

I wonder sometimes if Ike was stripped of his nifty abilities and left to fight on GBA FE's terms, if he would stand a chance against Ephraim given the weapon disadvantage. Ragnell is pretty sweet, but in this instance it would be like a glorified Light Brand.

It'd depend on how Ike's stats are converted for gba caps. But Ephraim's pretty screwed since "glorified light brand" still means he can't counter on Ike's turns.

If I was going to pick a lance user to go up against Ike, I'd go with Camus.

Shiki Dan posted:

Forde and Kyle will just always be....okay.

Great knight Kyle is like... two points behind berserker Ross in str and two ahead in speed and def.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

Kyle is also behind Ross in 30% crit in...every single battle. Berserker is a good class.

It's 15% in Sacred Stones, which is... somewhat good, but not terribly reliable.

quote:

Also Great Knight is a bad class.

Journeyman is a terrible class, and fighter/pirate only decent, but that doesn't stop you hyping up Ross.

Paladin is certainly better, but I'm using GK as the example because it puts the characters two points apart in everything that matters, and you're still claiming one of them is good and the other is mediocre. Which only gets sillier when you're so keen to bring up that it's Kyle's worst option.

Man. I have Things to say about that, but... it's still a spoiler :negative:

Saladin Rising posted:

I wish they'd done multiple gaiden chapters from Ephraim's perspective like this one.

:yeah:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Ephraim even brought GIFs with him. Truly he was prepared.

Eirika is just outclassed in every field, isn't she? It's almost a little sad.

quote:

I... completely forgot that Epraim can't use the killer lance at base :psyduck:

I just kind of assumed he could! Because he's Ephraim.

quote:

Oh poo poo I forgot this guy was here.

You know, I was so close to making a comment last time about hey, that overview map at least shows you that guy is there, so you have no excuse to get surprised by him like everybody else (myself included) does! So close.

quote:

Why, yes, I was fishing for this animation all map long.

And no one can blame you.

Ephraimcopter is so good.

quote:

You know, I think he said that before he was promoted to General…

He might just mean finest in general :v:

quote:

:allears:

...but you know, looking at it again, that setup just kind of screams "trap". If only Valter spent a little less time on his hair and a little more on actually planning things, we might be playing a very different kind of game...

Saladin Rising posted:

Franz is a level or two lower and he's already quite a bit better than both of them.

I don't think I've ever actually used Kyle and Forde, precisely for this reason.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I'd be interested to know exactly how that process works.

From what I've heard, that's just kind of how voicing works in general. You get your lines, you read them, and that's all. It's pretty rare to have a situation where the actors are actually together and talking to each other in context.

Which is understandable since you don't need to worry about schedules to get everyone together, but it's also a shame because if you do make that effort, it tends to result in a better performance.

But hey, at least they're taking it somewhat seriously these days and don't just grab the janitor if they find they need an extra voice :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Bolding the narration works fine, no need to change it.

LordHippoman posted:

Hmph… Freakish old man.

Slight repetition.

quote:

Hmph… Freakish old man.

Slight repetition.

quote:

very important if you want to use Neimi.

So maybe you should stop benching her :argh: You have a perfectly good jeigan to warm that bench! :argh:

...I... "appreciate" intsys taking the time to make sure the male generic has more hp/str/con and the woman has more skill/res. Because it's The Law.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Fun fact about Torches: Thieves can put them into their inventory and gain a boost to their vision without having to burn a charge of the Torch (as the effects of the extended thief vision and the Torch stack), giving Colm a massive range of vision in the fog of war.

No, they can't. Torches do stack with thief vision, but you absolutely have to use the torch.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, how does that work if you can't see the terrain? Can you just... warp people into walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Aw, that sucks. Good luck unfucking the situation!

• Locked thread