Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ZeButler posted:

That doesn't seem right (as in, IntSys hosed up with him, he's too good).

Relax its not like he's capable of soloing the game or anything.
he totally can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I guess its worth noting that you don't actually have to remove the rapier from eirka's inventory for her to equip the steel sword. The game equips the top most equipable weapon in inventory after a trade.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

theshim posted:

I believe that was TenaCrane's.

It was. A shame it never got put on the lp archives. Hippoman did a more... traditional overview of shadow dragon.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Good Lord hippo, it hurts to see you give boss kills to trainees. Just hitting a mook with his hatchet is worth 30ish exp to ross and killing a mook already gives him a full level.

That said, fun fact about Ross. If you take him to level 10 on this map he won't promote at the start of the next one. Which is ok, because the next one has lots of walls and things for him to chip at guys over so it's a lot easier to level him there.

You should have Ross accept his true calling as a hero of the people.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Lessons learned, though. I didn't know about the leveling to 10 on this map thing, but it seems almost impossible for that to happen. If you've done it, though, props.

It took far, far too much effort to be worth it. Even before him not promoting. But I was bored and it was a fun thought to promote him on his first map.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I never knew that, interesting. I have to wonder whether that's a bug or not. I could easily see it being the sort of thing they'd miss in testing...

The next map is the last one before battle preparations get added, and he promotes when battle preparations loads in and he's level 10.

They probably ignored the possibility because you'd have to be an idiot to waste time giving him 9 levels on this map

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Everyone has a unit in FE that should be amazing, but never works out for them. Ross is that person for me. I know he's objectively pretty good, but his speed growth has never panned out for me. Sure, he has a decent haymaker, but he gets torn to shreds on the enemy turn. Hopefully Ross pans out for the OP and people can see how scary Ross can be if his growths hit.

His speed growth is low and his base is atrocious so he lives and dies off hitting it. Getting a ross that gets speed screwed and winding up with a merely ok unit is a decentally common outcome.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Plus Nolan has built in nihil so he doesn't have to waste skill points on it to be able to hit 90% of all the endgame bosses.

E: also, warrior is probably safer for Ross than seeker. If Ross winds up speed screwed as a seeker all he can do is pray for a crit, but as a warrior he has his ridiculous strength behind bows for way better chip damage and accuracy than hand axes.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 3, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

8 x 3 = 24 + 11 = 33

enemy wyvern riders in the chapter after she joins: 2 res, 42 hp

31 damage leaves them at 9 hp which anyone can clean up

So she's incapable of killing a common enemy type when targeting their virtually non-existent defensive stat with an effective weapon?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Astrid in FE9 is decent just because of tellius canto.

Really, the entire series kind of has a problem with giving foot units literally nothing to make up for the advantage mounted units have over them - not better stats, not more weapon types, not anything - it's just more stark with archers because an archer is either decent or completely useless.

But they do? Mounted units typically have lower caps even if they don't matter. Nor has a mounted class ever been handed say +30crit all day every day. Fe5 had forced stat+weapon rank penalties with mandatory dismount segments that infantry could ignore.

The stuff is there, its just usually not enough.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

Actually due to the general lack of challenge on anything except Ephraim Hard, I would consider FE8 to be the "flawed, but fun" entry, simply because there are some many good units and so many different paths for them that you can't really go too wrong if it makes the majority of the game a breeze. p
The game just offers you the most freedom in the series until FE13 kicked that door down in order to save the series.

FE6 is just flawed, period. Not entirely unfun, however, as there is still plenty of challenge, but it comes in the BS variety rather than genuine tactical challenge.
And locking the end game behind finishing all of the gaiden chapters? Totally wack.

erika hard has that map where you get tana and have to suicide rush forward at maximum velocity to pick up amelia and get all the houses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

A note on the pre battle shop. It's useful in a pinch if you can't get back to the world map, but it charges double the price of in mission/world map shops. Never shop there if it can be avoided

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Pirate is the objectively best choice unless you really want to hamstring Ross by making him a hero.

I want to leave that option open and permanently deny the berserker option. Fighter

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, this game and 2 are the only games in the series with fleshed out monsters at all. And 2 drop a them on you quick too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's been part of two wars. He knows a lot of people who commited murder.

I don't remember that. I do remember that Amelia had Tana's role, with her class being a Pegasus Knight trainee that doesn't appear in the main game.

Why remove that? A flier trainee sounds radical as hell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Fixed that for you.

It's more than 1. All monster magic spells are all dark magic tomes with no weapon lol requirement. Claws and things won't work.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I made the character in question a general, didn't realize it was suboptimal cringe. They were still great though. But we'll talk about that when we get there.

Its arguably optimal in that its a lot of fun, and you don't use trainees to be optimal mechanically.

But the general form involves dumping the boots and other rare items that could go to other people on her and a lot of that comes mid to late in the game to boot.
Most characters become fun death machines when you dump everything into them, that character just does it in an interesting and unique way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

A unit functionally locked to range 1 is better than a dude with handaxe access.

Wat.

I think you're overselling the cost of getting Ross his first promotion. The super low level mooks on his first two maps aren't a huge exp loss short term and virtually don't exist in the long term.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

vilkacis posted:

That comparison is kind of useless because in order to make Ross a level 13 fighter, you have to feed him 21 levels, and he's only getting noticeably more exp than Garcia for the first 10ish. Give Garcia the same amount of kills, and he's not just going to be a level 13 fighter.

Yeah, he'll be a level 14 fighter because a handful of lvl 1-3 mooks aren't worth diddly exp by the time everyone is 13. The only major strategic downside is that Garcia can smash faces immediately rather than be babied for a pair of super easy early game maps one of which features almost exclusively defensive AI enemies.

People on forums boards like to overstate how much work goes into Ross. He's not like est or the other trainees in this game where you need to dump a functional ton of exp at great effort into them. Like he's still not a platonic ideal like seth, but calling him terrible is a drastic exaggeration.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oberndorf posted:

Maybe this is the RNG, but he comes in with higher levels than the rest of the team, outpowers them substantially, and is useless after about four maps because he can’t hit the broad side of a barn, and gets doubled too often to block choke points. Sounds like our favorite old man cab to me.

Considering speed(60%) and skill(70%) are his best growths, it's probably rng

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I'm curious to know if people still think highly of Lyon, or if he altogether comes too late to be useful.

By the time you unlock him everyone is at capped stats and it doesn't matter

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This chapter is cool because, lacking erika, there's no supply convoy.

So the map is packed with powerful gear and you have to juggle it around while trying to not use the good stuff too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In thracia map tiles in the fog of war are totally black. You dont even know if the tile you're trying to move into is movable terrain when its fogged.

• Locked thread