Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

In Australian concentration camps prisoners(captives? Hostages?) are assigned a number which they're called by and punished if they use their real name, wonder If ice does in theirs too

And if you work at one of the torture sites and try to inform the press of the horrific abuses you see, you can be sentenced to a mandatory two years imprisonment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

StashAugustine posted:

So to make sure I understand this: if I lived in Mexico and wanted to move to the US legally, what options do I have? I basically just know about family or work visas plus asylum. If you have no skills or family member do you have any options?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

sleep with the vicious posted:

can't wait for a year from now when even more extreme concentration camps are the compromise position for libs

👏 brutalise 👏 more 👏 female 👏 children 👏 in 👏 concentration 👏 camps 👏

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Reminder that ICE's baby bus is a literal thing which exists.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

In June, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services quietly announced a new task force that will investigate “bad” naturalization cases, wherein the agency will hire dozens of lawyers and immigration officers “to find U.S. citizens they say should not have been naturalized, to revoke their citizenship, and then eventually deport them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I'd ask if we have any remote islands to build migrant death camps on but the last few administrations have been doing their damnedest to ruin and depopulate Puerto Rico so maybe that was the plan all along

I'd say Johnston Atoll, but that might actually be too far.

It's bizarre to see Australia leading the US in something. Usually the general rule is that we trail the US by about a decade.

drat shame it's the racist torture of asylum seekers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

got any sevens posted:

he's a bigger fygm than jk rowling, at least she didnt literally send someone to a concentration camp

What did Rowling do?

I thought she gave half her fortune to good causes and poo poo like that? I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, money like that always corrupts and turns people into monsters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
They've brought back the old paper bag test for citizenship.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

got any sevens posted:

where are they going to send them, england?

Well you see, the entire Commonwealth of Australia has been legally removed from itself for immigration purposes. Therefore any Aboriginal person born in the Commonwealth of Australia cannot be said to have been born in the Commonwealth of Australia and are therefore not citizens.

This does not apply to white people because reasons.

wikipedia posted:

To stem the flow of unauthorised arrivals into Australia, in September 2001, the Australian government passed the Migration Amendment (Excision from Migration Zone) Act 2001[2] and the Migration Amendment (Excision from Migration Zone) (Consequential Provisions) Act 2001 which removed ("excised") a number of external territories from the Australian migration zone for purposes relating to unauthorised arrivals. The effect of this change was to limit the ability of "offshore entry persons" to apply for a visa on arrival.

After Australian Indian Ocean territories were excised, increasing numbers of asylum seekers attempted to reach the Australian mainland by-passing those islands, which are closer to Indonesia. To combat this tactic, on 30 October 2012, the Australian government excised the entire Australian mainland from the Australian migration zone

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

lmao what an awkward way to write a headline to avoid saying "she was beaten to death by ICE"

From the school of thought which gave us "Aboriginal deaths in custody"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just so loving evil I don't even know what to say.

<Godwin>

If you told me the nazis did something like that with Jewish children in the 30s I'd think no one else could possibly match that level of monstrousness.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Citizens get human rights. Non-citizens aren't human.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just when I thought I had run out of ways to be horrified.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Looks like ICE picked the right time to stop tracking deaths, then.

Meanwhile the people leaving lifesaving provisions out for people trying to enter the country face decades in prison.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lastgirl posted:

oh ho you better believe there's mass graves

And good luck finding them.

They'll be on large military bases most likely.

When a bunch of us in AusPol tried to locate where all the people dying at sea were being buried (those that the navy bothered to recover) we were totally stonewalled at every step.

But, yeah, the big empty spaces on military bases ended up being my best guess for where our victims are being buried and I don't doubt the US has had similar ideas.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Pretty sure Boksi was making a death camp oven joke.

But, you're both right - there are just so many ways a government can get rid of people when its run, at every level, by those who just don't see undocumented immigrants as people.

It frightens me that there are so many people out there who would do this. I don't mean the gleefully sadistic ones, I mean the ones for whom it's just a job.

Go in torture people, watch little children die, go home, watch TV. Just making ends meet, am I right?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Moridin920 posted:

It's happening and now you know the answer to the "but why did Germans ever let it get that far to begin with?" question we all asked as kids.

E:
https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/1157034604349612046?s=20

But after the 100 days, they'll totally let them out, right?

I feel like the author of that piece is missing the forest for the trees here. ICE already seems to be holding kids illegally for incredibly long periods and nothing is being done.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Fifty five thousand people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

But what if we appeased the nazis, instead of fighting them?

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Sep 16, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

They've been trying to bring this in for the last 20 years.

Pretty sure I made a post about this in this very thread,

EDIT: Yep, here's a post I made in October of last year about our enlightened government's view on the "Aboriginal problem":

quote:

got any sevens posted:

where are they going to send them, england?

Well you see, the entire Commonwealth of Australia has been legally removed from itself for immigration purposes. Therefore any Aboriginal person born in the Commonwealth of Australia cannot be said to have been born in the Commonwealth of Australia and are therefore not citizens.

This does not apply to white people because reasons.

wikipedia posted:

To stem the flow of unauthorised arrivals into Australia, in September 2001, the Australian government passed the Migration Amendment (Excision from Migration Zone) Act 2001[2] and the Migration Amendment (Excision from Migration Zone) (Consequential Provisions) Act 2001 which removed ("excised") a number of external territories from the Australian migration zone for purposes relating to unauthorised arrivals. The effect of this change was to limit the ability of "offshore entry persons" to apply for a visa on arrival.

After Australian Indian Ocean territories were excised, increasing numbers of asylum seekers attempted to reach the Australian mainland by-passing those islands, which are closer to Indonesia. To combat this tactic, on 30 October 2012, the Australian government excised the entire Australian mainland from the Australian migration zone

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 10:03 on Dec 4, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
While we're doing Australia, our wonderful government is about to start moving citizens with the coronavirus currently in China to their Christmas Island concentration camp where there are families with children interred.

Victims The sick will also have to pay for the privilege of being thrown into inhuman conditions to suffer.

https://twitter.com/tegangeorge/status/1222382159488417792?s=19

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yet again, I'm having trouble even putting my thoughts into words over how bad this is.

This sort of punitive action against a state is just so beyond the pale for something a democracy should be doing.

But Trump's been acquitted and probably feels invincible right now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

got any sevens posted:

mexico should declare war

I wouldn't hold it against Mexico if their armed forces lined up along the border and sniped ICE agents.

Apparently it's perfectly legal according to the US constitution.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

quote:

Hospitalized and on a ventilator for a little over a week, a detainee from Otay Mesa Detention Center on Wednesday became the first in immigration custody nationwide to die from COVID-19.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on this.

When you throw countless people into open-air cages were there's not even enough space to lie down properly, or hold them in pens hidden inside parking garages, moving them around so their lawyers can never find them, and far worse, and you expect me to believe the first death was only Wednesday?

More likely they've been dumping the most sick on planes and throwing them out of the country to die elsewhere. And to cause hotspots all over South America, which is probably just a bonus to the kind of monster who works for ICE.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Algund Eenboom posted:

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency is set to launch a six-week "Citizens Academy" course on immigration enforcement, which will include training for citizens on how to arrest undocumented immigrants.

Included in the course would be training in "defensive tactics, firearms familiarization and targeted arrests."

Oh my god, there are going to be so many people loving killed when the amateur paper bag squads start rolling out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Brand new day, folks!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It seems they've set the stage to roll back huge swathes of rights with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Saw a post earlier saying one of the Justices has started motions to roll back marriage equality and privacy in the bedroom legislation.

Also some lovely school has voted to make it mandatory to send out alerts to parents notifying them if a LGBTIA+ kid will be attending any school activities or trips.

I know this isn't ICE related, but it's scary as hell to me.