Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't use a heat gun for the thermoforming. You will never get even heating and the bends will end up rippling. Instead, bake the sheet in your oven so it's heated evenly and then drape/bend/form it over the existing piece.

Polycarbonate thermoforms at about 175C, but if you're going to mold it at that temperature you need a perfectly mirror smooth mold because the plastic will pick up any imperfections otherwise. Since the windshield is a relatively simple bend, you may be able to pull it off by heating it to a lower temperature, maybe start at about 130, and clamping it to the edges as it cools. That will reduce the transfer of any marks. You'll also want to coat the form with mold release agent or vegetable oil so the plastic doesn't just fuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Don't use a heat gun for the thermoforming. You will never get even heating and the bends will end up rippling. Instead, bake the sheet in your oven so it's heated evenly and then drape/bend/form it over the existing piece.

Polycarbonate thermoforms at about 175C, but if you're going to mold it at that temperature you need a perfectly mirror smooth mold because the plastic will pick up any imperfections otherwise. Since the windshield is a relatively simple bend, you may be able to pull it off by heating it to a lower temperature, maybe start at about 130, and clamping it to the edges as it cools. That will reduce the transfer of any marks. You'll also want to coat the form with mold release agent or vegetable oil so the plastic doesn't just fuse.

Your expertise is appreciated. I was planning on covering the old windshield with flannel and draping the new sheet over it, then heat gunning it until it went limp and draped into shape. I just received the sheet and 1/4" is loving thicc. I might have to re-order 1/8".

I'm heading out of town tomorrow to pick up that $150 parts bike. If it's in good shape I'd like to transplant the front end and rear end because gently caress paying $500 for weird rare brake rotors. It's a 1997 with no title, will post pictures when I get it home.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The parts bike is safely in my shed.

We left at 7am and just finished at 8pm so it was a good 13hr day getting the drat thing home from out of province.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is stolen. The ignition barrel is completely destroyed. Guy selling it was probably on drugs. Irregardless, I can already see that the foot pegs and foot levers are waaaaayy nicer than the ones on my bike. The speedo sensor assembly looks complete. Will take a deeper look tomorrow in the daylight.

e: why the gently caress are the wheels purple?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

e: why the gently caress are the wheels purple?

Because he likes to party.

mewse
May 2, 2006

:lol:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Check the serial numbers and see if some tweaker tried to grind em off.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Check the serial numbers and see if some tweaker tried to grind em off.

Yeah I gotta strip the plastics and get the vin from the neck, there are some canadian VIN checkers that might tell me if it's stolen

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

$150 Canadian plus about 120 in gas to go get it

mewse
May 2, 2006

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, the parts bike is a huge piece of poo poo.

Check out this ignition switch:

I put some air in the tires and stripped it down a bit to see how bad it is. The seat is garbage (posts on the seat pan broke off trying to remove it). The gas tank is dented and rusted out and one of the posts for the gas cap broke off and is still on it.

The brake calipers look like they're both two-piston rather than the one on my bike, that is promising. The front fender looks pretty minty compared to mine. The fork tubes have some rust/pitting but might not be as bad as mine. The rear tire is cracked and a bridgestone battleax, the front tire looks like some asian scooter brand but not cracked at all.

Something that's kind of upsetting as that it was stored without anything covering the engine's intakes. I shoved a finger down there and it accumulated some crud.

It doesn't seem like it's stolen. I also checked CPIC which is a national canadian db and had no hits.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been feeling weirdly depressed since going over the bike this afternoon.

I am so glad that I'm not going to restore this bike. It feels like where my bike suffered from simple neglect, this new bike was loving butchered. When I took off the front cowl, the turn signals were hard spliced into the wiring harness rather than the normal bullet connectors. And then once I got it off, I was able to see that the original turn signal mounts had been bondo'd over, and new flush mount turn signals mounted like 6 inches below the original spot.

The coffee cans with the carbs in them had been labelled "suzuki crotch rocket parts". The carbs have the float bowl covers taken off, but the floats are just dangling there with the float needle still there and everything. The pilot jet/main jet are still screwed in there. Why even take the float bowl cover off, to get access to those, and then not touch them? I don't even know if I've got the brackets to turn it back into a proper rack of carbs again.

I think I finally understand why this forum hates POs.

So I think I have to do a bloody, ruthless cull of the poo poo I don't want from this bike. #1 and #2 on that list are probably plastics and gas tank. If I disassemble this thing into parts that could be usable and then sell off the loving abortion of a frame and all the butchered garbage from it, I'll probably feel better about the whole thing.

I'm thinking of maybe pulling the engine and doing a complete teardown inside my house over the winter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Win some, lose some, this is bikes and now you have more knowledge for the next one, as well as a sober appreciation of what's out there. If it makes you feel any better, I've had more than one person in your situation double down and pay me to assess fixing, or worse, actually fix their lost cause. I remember one guy in particular with a stolen and recovered learner bike who ended up paying more to repair his bike (to a loving lovely standard) than a pristine example would've cost.

And at some point every bike can be a lost cause, be it a ninjette or an h2. Unless it's literally Marc Marquez' championship Honda or whatever, every bike can reach a point where the effort of repair exceeds sanity and parting it out is the only humane option.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks. I think I might finally be cured of buying lovely bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol there's no cure for that, if anything it gets worse with time.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I've endlessly "fixed" an 800$ 1990 GS500. (I can save this screams the man pulling on the mooring line while treading water and the Titanic sinks into the deep below).

I woke up one day and decided I had enough of the POS draining my cash and traded the bike for a rack mount 12 disk NAS. I know I made out ahead in that deal.

As Slavvy said you win some you lose some. I previously rebuilt a 1982 GS450e(another 800$ bike) that ran like a champ, never gave me any issues and was just a hoot to ride for what it was.

I'll get the bug to rebuild another "cheap" bike, and it'll be another huge pile of crap I'll either polish into something nice or dump on someone else.

mewse
May 2, 2006

gently caress this parts bike

I went to pull off the speedo stuff and found out maybe I was just missing a snap ring??

Anyone want an instrument cluster?

Planning on selling the plastics

Let's play "good bike, piece of poo poo bike"

I'm recycling these coffee cans because I almost physically wince when I look at them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you want to keep the cans (they look like good cans!) you can remove sharpie ink with alcohol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

(they look like good cans!)

Granddad spotted, do you also have like a hundred glass jars with the lids screwed to the ceiling?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

if you want to keep the cans (they look like good cans!) you can remove sharpie ink with alcohol

I produce my own coffee cans :smug:

e: btw OF COURSE the tail lights were hard spliced into the wiring harness. Cut those wires with hatred in my heart

mewse fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 21, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

Worked on the bike a little bit yesterday. Tried installing a beeping flasher relay from aliexpress and it was awful. The beep was insanely loud and it would miss like 2-3 light cycles before starting to flash the indicators.

Installed bolts for the mirrors from the parts bike, which were significantly longer. I think those are officially the first parts I've transferred over.

I wanted to get the speedo hub hooked up but wasted a bunch of time farting around with other stuff. I have a roll of new vinyl to kinda re-upholster my side covers but I was looking at my old rear seat and dismantled it a bit, might be able to get it fixed up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Worked on the bike a little bit yesterday. Tried installing a beeping flasher relay from aliexpress and it was awful. The beep was insanely loud and it would miss like 2-3 light cycles before starting to flash the indicators.

Installed bolts for the mirrors from the parts bike, which were significantly longer. I think those are officially the first parts I've transferred over.

I wanted to get the speedo hub hooked up but wasted a bunch of time farting around with other stuff. I have a roll of new vinyl to kinda re-upholster my side covers but I was looking at my old rear seat and dismantled it a bit, might be able to get it fixed up.

:psyduck:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I thought it would be a good solution to forgetting to cancel the turn signal. I guess I was expecting the gentle clicking that you get with cars not an insane siren tone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Great now i want one of those with the Kill Bill siren noise.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's officially the start of the riding season in Manitoba today.

My bike fouled another set of plugs so I adjusted the idle circuits to the stock 2.5 turns, hope that fixes it so I don't have to buy new plugs every year.

Replaced the speedo cable just now, but it's raining so I didn't take it for a test ride to see if the speedo is working now. Also installed new grips. Took a hacksaw to the throttle tube because it had little plastic wings that jutted into the stock grips, roughly hacked those off. IT'S FINE RIGHT?

Bike is running well, I want to do another adjustment on the idle circuit because I was rushed when I did it, and then reassemble all the plastic and take it for a ride.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I went for a test ride and the speedometer still isn't working.

I disassembled the gauge cluster from the parts bike and it seems pretty straightforward to get in there to clean/lube the gears and make sure everything is moving freely. Unfortunately the 1988+ bikes have separate gauges for speedo and tach, where this 87 just has one panel with the three gauges on it - speedo, tach, and temperature. This means if there are small plastic parts that are hosed in my 87 gauge, it might get messy trying to replace them with parts from the parts bike rather than swapping the whole gauge.

I found the parts number for replacement glass for the old gauges so I'm gonna wait for that to come in before I break down the bike again to pull the gauge cluster.

e: I also ordered a small GPS speedo in case this entire adventure is folly

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 8, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mewse posted:

I went for a test ride and the speedometer still isn't working.

I disassembled the gauge cluster from the parts bike and it seems pretty straightforward to get in there to clean/lube the gears and make sure everything is moving freely. Unfortunately the 1988+ bikes have separate gauges for speedo and tach, where this 87 just has one panel with the three gauges on it - speedo, tach, and temperature. This means if there are small plastic parts that are hosed in my 87 gauge, it might get messy trying to replace them with parts from the parts bike rather than swapping the whole gauge.

I found the parts number for replacement glass for the old gauges so I'm gonna wait for that to come in before I break down the bike again to pull the gauge cluster.

e: I also ordered a small GPS speedo in case this entire adventure is folly

You might be able to pop the whole gauge out and slip a new one in, depending on size. I've done that at least once (FZ600 gauge into an XJ panel).

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You might be able to pop the whole gauge out and slip a new one in, depending on size. I've done that at least once (FZ600 gauge into an XJ panel).

Yeah since making that post I've realized this should be possible since there's two screws holding the mechanism to the faceplate, I might be able to swap the entire assembly from the parts bike, but i'd be getting an odometer at 34k km rather than 31k km

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mewse posted:

Yeah since making that post I've realized this should be possible since there's two screws holding the mechanism to the faceplate, I might be able to swap the entire assembly from the parts bike, but i'd be getting an odometer at 34k km rather than 31k km

Yeah, I ran into that exact problem as well. I started to work on setting the new odometer to the correct time, but so much of the mechanism is spot-welded or press fit together I just said gently caress it and kind of forgot about it. I hooked the whole thing up to my drill and turned it on in reverse, but it only registered 45 mph, so it was going to take like a week straight of run time to get in the neighborhood. You might be able to swap the odometer mechanism into the new gauge, but there is a deep hole of loving with stuff just to make it like original that is uncovered then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh is someone in here talking about replacing the speedometer on an 80s japanese bike

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

oh is someone in here talking about replacing the speedometer on an 80s japanese bike

Have you been spending your quarantine time working on making yours more readily available?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Am I hearing an undercurrent of PTSD

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Buddy. I love you as only a goon can love a total stranger online, which is kind of not a lot, but...............WHEEEEEEEEENNNNNN

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buddy. I love you as only a goon can love a total stranger online, which is kind of not a lot, but...............WHEEEEEEEEENNNNNN

mewse
May 2, 2006

What is this project and why is there no thread?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:emptyquote:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mewse posted:

What is this project and why is there no thread?

Sagebrush posted:

current dashboard status: lookin pretty fuckin vaporwave

And link to the posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098443&userid=185146&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post472511773

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I admit I had not worked on the display in some time because it was working just fine for me. I know that people have said they want to buy one but I don't have much of a salesman's personality.

But after I got smoked by that car merging into me in January, the display got damaged and now a bunch of lines are missing from the screen, so I am indeed working on the next version. This one should be better suited for production. Also now that I've got tenure I am free to work on fun poo poo like that in this summer instead of slaving over grants and papers (as much).

I'm currently trying to put in a feature where you can send it a destination from your phone and it pops up a display that looks and works like an airplane RMI/CDI and gives you the range to that point and lets you dial in a course to follow. No turn-by-turn navigation, just homing on a signal :jeb:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 12, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote not edit

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I'm currently trying to put in a feature where you can send it a destination from your phone and it pops up a display that looks and works like an airplane RMI/CDI and gives you the range to that point and lets you dial in a course to follow. No turn-by-turn navigation, just homing on a signal :jeb:

Ngl I've had a Beeline on my wishlist for a while partly because the crow's flight waypoint mode is exactly my kind of thing, having that right in the dash would be :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I admit I had not worked on the display in some time because it was working just fine for me. I know that people have said they want to buy one but I don't have much of a salesman's personality.

But after I got smoked by that car merging into me in January, the display got damaged and now a bunch of lines are missing from the screen, so I am indeed working on the next version. This one should be better suited for production. Also now that I've got tenure I am free to work on fun poo poo like that in this summer instead of slaving over grants and papers (as much).

It looks like your posts about it were mainly 2017 which was before I started doing stuff.

I have some programming skills and a 3D printer if you ever need a beta tester. This is my existing gauge cluster: