Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mewse posted:

Pulled the radiator to get easier access to the valves. Had to drain the coolant again which was kind of annoying. Was hoping to re-use it but there's a bunch of crud in the stuff I drained.

Successfully adjusted one intake valve. Started on another one but got too sweaty and decided to pack it in for now.

Put 2 coats of white primer on my test fairing and then a drop of sweat fell from my head right into the middle of the fairing, lol. I blotted it with paper towel but I think I'll wet sand this coat of primer. Top coat will be gloss white.

e: I returned the tappet wrenches and hanging fuel tank, and picked up a 1500lb lift and a rolling stool

I don't remember the valve adjustments being particularly hard, but yeah you gotta remove the radiator. Just don't do like me and forget to put clamps back on all the hoses and blow a head gasket when it ran out of coolant :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

mewse posted:

This was probably part of the problem.

I boiled the jets and made sure I could see the pinhole of light in both pilot jets, and reinstalled everything. Let the bike warm up and it seems like it's running ok now. There is still a hesitation leaving idle for a couple revs, I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe I have to sync the carbs again with the engine warm.

I like to run a guitar string through the hole and scrape it around the perimeter even if I can see light, since you might be able to see a little bit of light but theres a bunch of crude in there and its still not going to run right.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

TheNothingNew posted:

Friend of mine is a car mechanic who also builds cigar-box guitars. I asked him for some spare guitar wire for just this purpose and he dressed me down proper. Apparently running a steel wire through a copper/brass nozzle is a no-no. Here's what he recommended, which still looks like steel to me but whatever, cheap enough: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Oxygen-Acetylene-Torch-Tip-Cleaner-Kit-KH575/100341101

"Comes with twelve scientifically designed stainless steel reamers" :shrug:

Whatever works. I can see the concern, brass is super soft, but I'm not putting much pressure on it at all. I soak em in carb cleaner (put them in the bottom of the float bowl and spray the entire thing down and let them sit for a bit) then gently run the high E wire through and make sure it touches all the sides.

That does look like a handy tool though so I'll probably pick one up if I remember next time I'm at home depot

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Man this is really coming together, looking great

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've found those screw on hose clamps work pretty well... I remember those stupid spring circles from my ninja, every part of removing the carb on that bike was a pain.