Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

yeah the tutor4u ones are good and he speaks clearly and is generally easy to follow and doesnt take forever to explain poo poo.

interesting

I guess end of the day, blender is a very versatile program, like a suite that isnt just 3d modelling, the image processing node section can be pretty powerful. I want to code a new glare function, or one that combines the current one at different levels into one.

anyway, I find all the lighting and image processing part much more what I like to experiment with, rather than actual modelling itself.

gently caress I love blender

and node based processing for images or shaders or whatever is so much more powerful than "layers" like photoshop

that or using unreal engine to create simulations. apparently you can export from ue4 and then use cycles to render it.

gently caress I also love cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I made these awhile back trying to figure out how jellygummies might have done it then pushed it from there.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 3, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate

how

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Animated displacement, in this case I had a lumpiness displacement mod on top of subdiv to give it enough polys, then on top of that I had gradient that ramped up and down and animated across the geometry.

In the last one rather than a smooth gradient I gave it a jagged sawtooth instead.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

omg

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

maxe posted:

ok now i got a question

how do i made all these vertices level, specifically matching the Z position of the one indicated by the red arrow?

also, how do I add a new vertice along the edge indicated by the blue arrow?

s -> z -> 0 -> enter

s (scale) z (along z-axis only) 0 (down to the same point, or plane in this case)

that will center them. to align on a certain point, select the vertex you want, press shift-s, then "cursor to selected". then press period to set the cursor as the basis for transformation and repeat the sequence above. there's a ui button to set the cursor as the transformation origin but I forgot what it looks like cause im a hot key boi

second question: select the vertices on both sides, which causes that edge to be selected (or you can change to edge selection mode and just click it) then press w -> subdivide. that will create more edges that might be in annoying places, because Blender will avoid creating n-gons in most situations, because they suck. but edge management is a subject for another post

Taffer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 3, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this dude fucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Animated displacement, in this case I had a lumpiness displacement mod on top of subdiv to give it enough polys, then on top of that I had gradient that ramped up and down and animated across the geometry.

In the last one rather than a smooth gradient I gave it a jagged sawtooth instead.

very cool my friend. very cool
indeed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what happens when I turn this mongrel dragon into a fluid and manipulate gravity at the same time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao the changing of gravity looks cool

https://i.imgur.com/cKZQsIV.mp4
idk how to embed. imgur butchered it tho

link to the full version. 45mb lmao
https://mega.nz/embed#!KNQXmLAB!XbY3jmvub9ttf1Mz0iygf9YpJaT-a29gWoX6on58-Mg
https://mega.nz/#!KNQXmLAB!XbY3jmvub9ttf1Mz0iygf9YpJaT-a29gWoX6on58-Mg

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
i used to gently caress with lightwave when i was a spergin teen

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

same but fantavision

not the ps2 game

the serial mouse animation program

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
love the subtle logo reveal

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
blender is awesome and i want to do things with it
but whenever I launch it I have no idea what to do with it
I have zero creativity

the only thing I ever did with it was a moose milkie gif

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
this poo poo rules i am having a great time

heres my cup with the ergonomic handle

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Silver Alicorn posted:

love the subtle logo reveal

yeah it kinda reminds me of those old tv channel skits like Locomotion

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

maxe posted:

this poo poo rules i am having a great time

heres my cup with the ergonomic handle

im trying to imagine what kind of finnger position this fits and laughing real hard irl. owns

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

maxe posted:

ok now i got a question

how do i made all these vertices level, specifically matching the Z position of the one indicated by the red arrow?

also, how do I add a new vertice along the edge indicated by the blue arrow?

Toffer's post is very good, but an alternate pro strat I like for quick + precise modeling is snapping

Enable that option, then you can use the ctrl key to snap things to other things, which isn't very helpful in itself but here's the method

select all the vertices except the red arrow one

s -> z -> 0 -> enter (scale z-axis to 0 just like before)

g -> z -> *hold ctrl* -> mouse over the red arrow vertex -> click

in words: move -> constrain to z-axis -> enable snapping -> snap to red arrow vertex (along the z-axis cuz you constrained it)

depending on the type of "add new vertex along edge" you're looking for, you might also want to try ctrl+R to subdivide a whole set of edges easily

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

play with modifiers, it's fun and easy!

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
i'm out of practice and this took too long to bake & render but I hope you enjoy it anyway namaste

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Funddevi posted:

Toffer's post is very good, but an alternate pro strat I like for quick + precise modeling is snapping

Enable that option, then you can use the ctrl key to snap things to other things, which isn't very helpful in itself but here's the method

select all the vertices except the red arrow one

s -> z -> 0 -> enter (scale z-axis to 0 just like before)

g -> z -> *hold ctrl* -> mouse over the red arrow vertex -> click

in words: move -> constrain to z-axis -> enable snapping -> snap to red arrow vertex (along the z-axis cuz you constrained it)

depending on the type of "add new vertex along edge" you're looking for, you might also want to try ctrl+R to subdivide a whole set of edges easily

thanks for this!! also other dude!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Funddevi posted:

i'm out of practice and this took too long to bake & render but I hope you enjoy it anyway namaste

its very good and i appreciate echis and all other yosposters efforts at making things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Funddevi posted:

fuckin hell lol

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
This is legit an amazing thread guys. :five:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Funddevi posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
piss tape is real

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Roosevelt posted:

its very good and i appreciate echis and all other yosposters efforts at making things

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Funddevi posted:

owns

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Funddevi posted:

yos
pisssssssss

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to see that dragon one at a higher resolution where it wasn't low-poly look and now you have to see it too

https://i.imgur.com/PMYmEwu.mp4

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i'm enjoying seeing what you guys are making but there's not a loving chance imma gonna touch a computer on my own time to learn to do it myself

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I wanted to see that dragon one at a higher resolution where it wasn't low-poly look and now you have to see it too

https://i.imgur.com/PMYmEwu.mp4

This is great. How are you doing the rainbow effect on the material?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
big rainbow behind camera that it’s reflecting . emissive rainbow i’ve put in bunch of other poo poo

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

pram
Jun 10, 2001
incredible

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

goldmine

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blender has a great range of addons, both free and paid.

I'm keeping my eye on Flip Fluids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hpqwfZah08

and HardOps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7U-4ar91w

Molecular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-PSEijh_I

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 6, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that flip fluids is what i’ve been using

yes i paid lkke $70 to simulate wet