Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hey let's combine a t-rex and a raptor into one clever and murderous girl. We can pay for it by cutting costs on the security fences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
having to shoot a dinosaur twenty times to administer medicine is kind of silly

jeff goldblum live on stream

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 11, 2018

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The dinosaurs are all naked. Where's their feathers?
This game does take place in the JP/JW canon (which is in this apparently really in depth lore section you can get in the game) so that can explain the lack of feathers, though I imagine they'll release a patch that will allow to add avian DNA to give them feathers.

Something I wish they would add in this game that was in JPOG were that there were certain guest types; there were the thrill seekers who wanted see dinosaurs fight, the nerds who wanted everything to be accurate, and I forget the last group.

Accordion Man posted:

One thing I hope they approve on is weather emergencies because the way JPOG did it was super janky, especially the fact that the cleaner staff didn't go into the shelters so they tended to get killed unless you fired them.
JPOG was one of the first games I learned to go into the files to mod it and first thing I did was make it impossible for tornadoes to happen, get rid of the pop caps for everything (for some reason the game had caps for buildings, fences, and employees :psyduck:) and give me basically unlimited money.

I hope they have more things for guests to use other than a viewing gallery and gyrospheres, I hope we get safaris, hot air balloon rides, and maybe river boat/kayak's like they showed in JW.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I just hope it has more on the park design side than Operation Genesis did, the near-complete lack thereof was probably that game's single biggest flaw.
JPOG had the problem that there was a ton of content cut because they needed to release the movie in time for JP3

Taintrunner posted:

Realtalk the game should let you air-drop genetically modified dinosaur soldiers into super secret black ops behind enemy lines and watch the war crimes unfold
I like how this game all your advisers are all crazy in their own way because they want to reach certain goals no matter the cost of human life/ethics.

The weirdest part of the game is that there are no kid guests, just make them immortal in dino escape situations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

Something I wish they would add in this game that was in JPOG were that there were certain guest types; there were the thrill seekers who wanted see dinosaurs fight, the nerds who wanted everything to be accurate, and I forget the last group.
Fun lovers, who just wanted to see a bunch of herbivores.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I forgot another thing I modded, I made my dinosaurs really long lived since I wanted a huge herds of dinosaurs for a while.

I love the research this game went into with the dig sites, so many places I could go to if I could have pursued that masters in Paleontology (drat you competitive niche fields and GREs :argh:)

One big thing I had hoped they would have taken from PC was the ability to make custom shops, but the game is kind of styled differently from PC so I can see why that mechanic isn't in the game.

Also wish that the Spinosaurus was quadrupedal and aquatic and that we had marine reptiles and pterosaurs

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
In the original Jurassic Park book, it's laid out that Hammond is a big fan of perceived authenticity but it's all smoke and mirrors. While he was gathering funding for the park he'd travel around with a genetically engineered elephant the size of a puppy, but was very careful not to reveal its health problems or that it was closer to a housecat in temperament than an elephant.

This became major later on when the scientists really, really wanted to modify the dinosaurs to tone down aggression and cunning, but Hammond nixed it because it would be inauthentic. When said scientists pointed out that the dinosaurs were spliced with the DNA of anything that fit and they couldn't really get less authentic, he'd scowl and start threatening to fire people. Book Hammond was even more of a menace than movie Hammond.

achillesforever6 posted:

I experimented with having free-roaming Gallimus sharing space with the park guests. Everyone freaked out and ran from them but the Thrill Seekers loved it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Will you be able to slow/stop time in this game just so that you can have fun with dinosaurs before everything runs amok?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm honestly a little concerned about the lack of streams and reviews, the embargo being up until the last day is usually a bad sign.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm honestly a little concerned about the lack of streams and reviews, the embargo being up until the last day is usually a bad sign.

This hasn't been true for a good while. It's fairly standard, the remarkable games are embargos that lift well before or after release.

If nothing else it's a wholly SP management game, you can wait a couple days to watch some streams.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah that's my plan. I'll pick it up on Friday if it gets goof reviews.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I loved the first game, though it was probably carried by me being a kid who loved dinosaurs rather than any award winning gameplay.

Hope this one is good, because I still love dinosaurs. :unsmith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
RPS Thoughts.

While obviously I don't want to judge off one review, that seems to back up what I was seeing on their stream yesterday.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 11, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Reviews seem to generally be solid 4/5s and 8/10s, apart from a couple outliers like IGN (lol) and RPS:

Screen Rant - 4/5

Gamesradar - 4/5

PC Gamer - 71/100

pcgamesn - 8/10

Polygon - Jurassic World Evolution is exactly the park sim you want it to be

Gaming Trend - 85/100

gamereactor.fi - 8/10

IGN - 4.8/10

Jeuxvideo - 17/20

gamereactor.dk - 8/10

Gamerevolution - 4/5

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I probably had like 200 hours in JPOG as a kid. I have waited 15 loving years to play this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Reviews seem to generally be solid 4/5s and 8/10s, apart from a couple outliers like IGN (lol) and RPS:

I read RPS, IGN, Polygon and Gaming Trend (who?) and it seems to boil down pretty simply to "Are you here for the dinosaurs or the park?" Aside from Polygon which as I might have suspected is full of sweeping, vague praise that says nothing useful, the other three reviews seem to come down firmly on "I liked this because it let me gently caress with Jurassic Park dinosaurs however I wanted" - Trend, and "The management is lackluster, the challenges are meaningless and there's no connective tissue" - IGN/RPS.

After Planet Coaster (and Elite) I'd more inclined to believe the latter sympathies, and I'm not sure how much cool dinosaurs can get me past that after I bought PC and played it for something like ten total hours.

Everyone do you, of course.

Miasman
Aug 7, 2011

Oh, you!
This sounds more and more like a dinosaur reskin of that lovely, shallow Zoo Tycoon game they did a few years back.

Bollocks.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Miasman posted:

This sounds more and more like a dinosaur reskin of that lovely, shallow Zoo Tycoon game they did a few years back.

Bollocks.

In reading the reviews it's definitely something that I'll enjoy messing with for awhile, but probably not at full price.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sad to say but I'm definitely holding off on getting this right away, hope their post launch support is good.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
By the sounds of it post launch support would basically have to be making into into a new game. Sadly Frontier have a very poor grasp of fun these days.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Honestly Operation Genesis was not that deep of a sim either and it was mostly just making pens for your dinosaurs then getting bored and letting them escape to kill your guests.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tehan posted:

In the original Jurassic Park book, it's laid out that Hammond is a big fan of perceived authenticity but it's all smoke and mirrors. While he was gathering funding for the park he'd travel around with a genetically engineered elephant the size of a puppy, but was very careful not to reveal its health problems or that it was closer to a housecat in temperament than an elephant.

This became major later on when the scientists really, really wanted to modify the dinosaurs to tone down aggression and cunning, but Hammond nixed it because it would be inauthentic. When said scientists pointed out that the dinosaurs were spliced with the DNA of anything that fit and they couldn't really get less authentic, he'd scowl and start threatening to fire people. Book Hammond was even more of a menace than movie Hammond.

I experimented with having free-roaming Gallimus sharing space with the park guests. Everyone freaked out and ran from them but the Thrill Seekers loved it.

Hammond had a miserable death in the book, too. The kids played TRexRoar.mp3 really loud on the security system and it scared Hammond so badly he rolled down a hill, broke all his bones, and was sloooooooooowly pecked into pieces by little compies

(they gave this death to Peter Stormare in the movie version of Lost World!)

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
You know, an SS13 clone with this theme and level of graphics would be the best thing ever made by mankind.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A used copy of Operation Genesis is like 85 bucks and a new copy is over three hundred dollars somehow dinosaur park games are the most in demand thing there's ever been.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I'm getting it, because it's Jurassic Park/World stuff and I can't help myself.

Hopefully they make some changes post-launch to try and improve everything. I read somewhere that it's getting additional content based on Fallen Kingdom after the movie comes out in theaters?

If they add a $15 expansion that lets me re-skin everything to Jurassic Park themes instead of Jurassic World, I'd buy it in an instant.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That Awful Nick posted:

If they add a $15 expansion that lets me re-skin everything to Jurassic Park themes instead of Jurassic World, I'd buy it in an instant.

if planet coaster is any indication you will get your wish in terms of ~$15 cosmetic DLCs

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh I really want to gently caress around with a dino park but £45 is insane money for this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been watching Quill18 play it and so far I'm not super impressed. There seems to be a narrative structured around sabotage and regular breakdowns that cause escapes and there's a big focus on driving your jeep around and tranquilizing your dinosaurs. I'm starting to think they didn't put the main focus of the game on park management.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Why is there no market for dinosaur theme park games?!" I ask, as I refuse to pay Cheap-Date-for-Two Money for the first one in 15 years

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Steve2911 posted:

Ugh I really want to gently caress around with a dino park but £45 is insane money for this.

This is my problem I'm in the market for a new PS4 game to play after finishing GOW and when I'm not dicking about with VR but I don't know if this is worth a day one purchase.

If it was £30 it would be a no-brainer.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm just not crazy about dino ai being pretty limited and that the 3 department heads you have working with you will actually sabotage your poo poo if you don't notice them enough.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah I was excited about this but this is sounding less and less fun the more I hear about it. I'll have to get it on sale at a later time I guess.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't like sim games at all, but I'm loving this game so far. It's so relaxing to just lay in bed and build a park.

I'm kind of dreading the harder islands, but I'm just going to take my time and chill.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Anyone who is playing this please give me some idea of how it stacks up to operation genesis before I lay out sixty bucks for it your service would be hella appreciated.

Like if its about on par I'll probably spend the money. Can you take pictures of the dinosaurs

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Streams of the game seems to be all peaceful and stuff. Just people putting down fences and watching visitors walk around.

I know there's storms and fences that randomly break, so is it possible to get into a death spiral or a typical Jurassic Park disaster you can't recover from?

Pretty as it looks, I can't really get excited for it if it's just a chill-out game...

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Donnerberg posted:

Streams of the game seems to be all peaceful and stuff. Just people putting down fences and watching visitors walk around.

I know there's storms and fences that randomly break, so is it possible to get into a death spiral or a typical Jurassic Park disaster you can't recover from?

Pretty as it looks, I can't really get excited for it if it's just a chill-out game...

Each Island gets more difficult. Second Island is where you start getting storms that damage buildings, fences, make animals act up etc. Park can death spiral pretty fast as seen in E3 footage of Frontier playing it, they actually have to restart the island after a twister sets Rex loose and lots of guests die.

Put in a good 6 hours today after Xbox launch and it's a lot of fun. Maxed out first two islands pretty much as far as what can be researched on them (did not try to 5* them yet), unlocked but did not go to third island yet.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Cool. That sounds perfect then!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I feel like a £45 game had better be pretty drat close to perfect. Pass for me at least until sale, doesn't quite sound like £45-good.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Its the total lack of pen design other than grass, trees and some water that's really put me off. I'm down for beautiful dinosaurs but I need to be able to put them in painstakingly designed exhibits. 10 seconds with 2 brushes doesn't cut it by a long shot.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
On the other hand, I could never get into Planet Coaster since it had TOO MUCH customization. I've played pretty much every tycoon game there's been. Railroad Tycoon, Theme Hospital, RCT, TT, etc. But I still don't want to plant every tree and rock around a queue to get a good rating.

I am enjoying JWE a lot more than PC since you get lot more traditional tycoon game elements like voiced narrator assistants (incl. a wisecracking Jeff Goldblum) and a playable tutorial built into the beginning game. Visually it looks great, especially the weather effects.

Noonsa fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Played for a good 4 hours. If you liked Operation Genesis, this for you. It's a shame it's so visually dull, but otherwise, it's JPOG but modern and shiny.

If you like the tycoon part of Tycoon games, or even Planet Coaster, stay away.

My park is basically just an outdoor mall and I like driving through the crowds at full speed :downs:

• Locked thread