Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Any other Xbox One users have issues with not being able to hear the dinosaurs roar when the creation center release cinematic plays? Is it something wrong with default settings or a bug? None of my herbivores make noise despite the animation and only the Cerato from the carnivores. It's really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AtomikKrab posted:

Basically if you are upping a dinos attack stat (most rating in general, people like the ones with mean claws.) more likely to kill other dinos, especially if you neglect the defense stat that keeps dinos from dying.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing in this sense. Does playing Thunderdome 2020 with your aggressive dinos bring in big money?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'm too poor to buy this so I'm going to break out my old copy of Operation Genesis and play that while watching streams in envy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing in this sense. Does playing Thunderdome 2020 with your aggressive dinos bring in big money?
I assume that comes into play if you do the military missions.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The winner in a fight inherits 50% of the losers rating, making them a bigger attraction. So instead of incubating one big predator, you can have a killer raptor with the same rating. It's a way to get around limited space and population tolerance. Instead of more dinos, you buff the ones you have if you are a capitalist monster.

Deakul posted:

... So, visitors don't mean poo poo. They're literally generated by booths you put in, as in... they'll spawn from those booths. ...

You have valid issues. Just one thing.

Even though physical visitors are meaningless in most aspects, they have one part that matters. They can be eaten, triggering lawsuits and negative safety rating. So you kind of have to treat them as people anyway. I think that's better than how most sims tend to do it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 13, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

The winner in a fight inherits 50% of the losers rating, making them a bigger attraction. So instead of incubating one big predator, you can have a killer raptor with the same rating. It's a way to get around limited space and population tolerance. Instead of more dinos, you buff the ones you have if you are a capitalist monster.

Oh hell yes. I am going to feed my carnivores so many lesser creatures that they are going to evolve into named bosses.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has there been any word on a patch?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Has there been any word on a patch?

For what?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I only just got this game last night but I’m a huge JP nerd and I probably logged 20,000 hours in JPOG so as long as this game has dinosaurs and plays the JP main theme every once in a while I’ll be happy.

When you’re on Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar, can you find remnants of the old InGen facilities like from the movies? Does the game have any fun shout outs to the movies that get more specific than “you’re on the island from the movie, with dinosaurs”?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PriorMarcus posted:

Played a couple of hours of this today and I already feel like I've done everything it has to offer.

Yeeaah.

Game is pretty, game sounds really good, but ultimately game seems to have less depth than the Jurassic Park manager that came out over a decade ago and that's pretty drat disappointing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Deakul posted:

The department heads are tsundere as gently caress and I hate it, they'll literally sabotage the god damned park if you don't give them enough attention... who thought that was good gameplay?

Well, it's true to the fiction. The entire kicking off point of the first movie was the park being sabotaged by an employee who wasn't recognized enough or paid enough.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, it's true to the fiction. The entire kicking off point of the first movie was the park being sabotaged by an employee who wasn't recognized enough or paid enough.
Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xenomrph posted:

I only just got this game last night but I’m a huge JP nerd and I probably logged 20,000 hours in JPOG so as long as this game has dinosaurs and plays the JP main theme every once in a while I’ll be happy.

When you’re on Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar, can you find remnants of the old InGen facilities like from the movies? Does the game have any fun shout outs to the movies that get more specific than “you’re on the island from the movie, with dinosaurs”?

You can get the classic jeep by getting five seconds of air time in a jeep within twenty seconds. The achievement is called "Hold onto your butts"

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I have a few thoughts. Up to the 4th Island and I love the game so far.

The criticisms about the management are absolutely warranted. They need to patch something, or add some depth to the park guests and they definitely need to add more decorations and cosmetic building choices. That said, I am glad I don't have to worry about a janitor threatening to quit when I have a disease outbreak in my herbivore pen, excavations to organise, and genomes to splice to prepare for my next batch of incubations. Some of the low-level management probably isn't actually needed here, but is notable in it's absence if you come from Planet Coaster, etc. To that end, I think dinosaurs and their upkeep have replaced some of the management we are used to doing with guests and staff and macro-level stuff like advertisements. It would probably be too much if it had ALL the management from PC plus dinosaurs breaking out all the time.

I've put a lot of effort and thought into making herbivore ecosystems of like-minded animals. I have a paddock of 21 (max acceptable population for one of the species in there) with all social and terrain needs met and it looks natural as gently caress and awesome when they gather around the drinking holes. If you put some effort into personal exploration of species and their likes/dislikes, its quite entertaining trying to maximise an ecosystem for them. Eventually someone is gonna come out with tables and numbers to take all the fun out the experimentation but there you go.

I kinda like that you can't see a dinosaurs needs until you incubate it. Adds to the challenge.

TIP: when you start a new island, build a fossil building first, and go back to an old island with lots of ££££ and dig stuff up. Switch back to the new island to sell deposits like platinum to import the cash there.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Rakosi posted:

I have a few thoughts. Up to the 4th Island and I love the game so far.

The criticisms about the management are absolutely warranted. They need to patch something, or add some depth to the park guests and they definitely need to add more decorations and cosmetic building choices. That said, I am glad I don't have to worry about a janitor threatening to quit when I have a disease outbreak in my herbivore pen, excavations to organise, and genomes to splice to prepare for my next batch of incubations. Some of the low-level management probably isn't actually needed here, but is notable in it's absence if you come from Planet Coaster, etc. To that end, I think dinosaurs and their upkeep have replaced some of the management we are used to doing with guests and staff and macro-level stuff like advertisements. It would probably be too much if it had ALL the management from PC plus dinosaurs breaking out all the time.

I've put a lot of effort and thought into making herbivore ecosystems of like-minded animals. I have a paddock of 21 (max acceptable population for one of the species in there) with all social and terrain needs met and it looks natural as gently caress and awesome when they gather around the drinking holes. If you put some effort into personal exploration of species and their likes/dislikes, its quite entertaining trying to maximise an ecosystem for them. Eventually someone is gonna come out with tables and numbers to take all the fun out the experimentation but there you go.

I kinda like that you can't see a dinosaurs needs until you incubate it. Adds to the challenge.

TIP: when you start a new island, build a fossil building first, and go back to an old island with lots of ££££ and dig stuff up. Switch back to the new island to sell deposits like platinum to import the cash there.

Yeah I agree with this completely, while it sucks that the park management isn't super deep, I think the gameplay all together is well balanced and keeps you busy while affording you enough time to be able to just kick back and enjoy watching the dinos, or cruise around the park in a jeep and appreciate what you've built. I have no idea if this game will receive the same amount of support Planet Coaster has, since this is a licensed game and who knows what stipulations are involved with what they can do with it, but they were receptive and did their best to address peoples concerns where they could in PC. For as much as I wanted a really deep level of management, when im playing the game im not bummed out about it or dissapointed or anything, im having a blast with what it is.
The one thing I really want and that will probably be addressed is just more pointless decorations and stuff to plop around the park- statues, benches, flags, etc. Have them give a small boost to guest happiness, or have them do nothing but be cosmetic and I wouldn't really mind.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's a super simple thing but I wish there was more visible variety in the visitors. Half the people are lab coats and the other half wear brown coveralls. They all look like employees, not people on vacation.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This game missed an opportunity by not including Mr. DNA as a tutorial helper.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Viridiant posted:

This game missed an opportunity by not including Mr. DNA as a tutorial helper.

Yeah, in general the drab presentation is mainly due to sticking with Jurassic Worlds sleek, stark modern theme park aesthetic. If they'd gone with the original wild-kingdom adventure land look of the original movie, things would've looked much nicer.

The dinos in this look amazing, but everything else is just sterile and boring to look at.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's a super simple thing but I wish there was more visible variety in the visitors. Half the people are lab coats and the other half wear brown coveralls. They all look like employees, not people on vacation.

They spent all that money on visual variety in the dinosaurs

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's because those people are employees! :v:

Ended up playing for hours yesterday evening and it is fantastic, but definitely needs some decorations and more attractions. I really do love hiding the fences and gates in jungle coverage, but it would be nice to have some more customization. I think of like the perimeter fence from the first movie/book where they talk about leaving all the amenities and actually going out into the park. Hopefully it gets some support; one of the Frontier people who posts on the subreddit said they are mostly still at E3, but have mentioned a bunch of criticism to the devs back in the office and they are starting to review things.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AtomikKrab posted:

They spent all that money on visual variety in the dinosaurs

They spared no expense. :v:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i think the guest outfits are tied to division rep, Science= more labcoats, Security= More Pigs, Entertainment= More Tourists

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Seconding the past posts. I'm having an okay time, but the stuff from Jurassic World really rubs me the wrong way. I wish they'd let us build vehicle stations to take jeeps past the cages in true Jurassic Park style. It doesn't look right having people wander around the park. Also, the bubble cars and train make everything look way too high tech.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

There needs to be a mod that adds this to the music.

Also I might consider pulling the trigger on this but... it seems too empty, even for dino murder funtime.

Even the tranq shooting looks a bit meh. Can't hit park guests and make them believe this whole park was but a nightmare.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Same but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjEy7UhyUU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

The simulation here is definitely heavily weighted towards the side of dinosaurs and their upkeep rather than visitors and guests. They need to deepen that side of the game but they shouldn't do it at the expense of the dinos, which is what this really is all about. I'm not entirely sure what they can do to deepen the park side of this game without overdoing the amount of management required to do well. There is currently too much money and income easily available. There's no pause button, and there's no fast forward/slow down either which means that nerfing the income that dinosaurs get you so you can't just give away all your amenities for free to get 5 star facility rating easily so that you would have to pay attention to the location, coverage and price of the different amenities would have the downside of making earning money a huuuuge grind. One way they could do this would be to make lawsuits from dinosaur breakouts have a proportional, percentage based effect depending on how rich the park is, so that there's always a balancing force against the player stockpiling mountains of money easily regardless of how big their park is. The bigger and more successful, the more the risks should be. Storms need to be harsher, and on that point inclement weather should last longer for ambience anyway. Amenities really need a rethink in how they work. A central shopping street will be deserted by everyone, because what gets you facility rating is having a monorail station and amenities around each viewing platform on your Island. The main street of your park may aswell be the main monorail station and some hotels for all the good other amenities there would afford you. This might be by design, though.

Another thing they need to add for effect is stuff in the sky. Graphical settings for normal tropical birds flying around in flocks should be available, to bring the Islands to life. I wanna see some birds sitting on the backs of my Brachiosaurus, or flying out of large enough forests when they amble through it. Being able to incubate 'packs' of tiny dinosaurs like compsognathus that don't impact bigger dinosaurs population preferences because they're so small, would make enclosures feel more alive and active.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

As an aside, someone on the reddit datamined stuff called "Mosaurus feeding show" or something; plus a couple other assets like "JP Gate".

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

They could get away with the current level of management if they included some more hazards. I'm 4 islands deep and have only seen rain storms so far, and you can guard against them effectively. Earthquakes and avalanches with following fence breaches and power outings would go a long way to spice things up. Maybe let the jeep get stuck in mud when it goes off-road in the rain to make fence repairs harder too. Something to ramp up the difficulty that forces me to restart the island after a typical Jurassic Park disaster. I guess not everyone is coming to the game for that experience though.

The 4th island seems to have some special night rules, so I'm excited to see how that turns out.

Anyway. The game is worth its price of admission just to hear Goldblum introduce islands and comment on some of the contracts. He switches randomly between giving it everything, phoning it in, playing around with his lines, and all of the above at once. It's pretty great.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 14, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

Seconding the past posts. I'm having an okay time, but the stuff from Jurassic World really rubs me the wrong way. I wish they'd let us build vehicle stations to take jeeps past the cages in true Jurassic Park style. It doesn't look right having people wander around the park. Also, the bubble cars and train make everything look way too high tech.

I adore everything that Goldblum says, but when Chris Pratt's character popped in to talk about Blue in his "Hey remember this part of That Movie" way my eyes rolled out of my head.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Rakosi posted:

As an aside, someone on the reddit datamined stuff called "Mosaurus feeding show" or something; plus a couple other assets like "JP Gate".

:getin:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Why does this idiot scientist keep giving me contracts to add toy shops and restaurants to the park? Uh lady why don't you go study some herd behaviour and leave the human poo poo to google.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I adore everything that Goldblum says, but when Chris Pratt's character popped in to talk about Blue in his "Hey remember this part of That Movie" way my eyes rolled out of my head.

Was it actually voiced by Chris Pratt? IMDb lists Goldblum, BD Wong, and Bryce Dallas Howard as doing dialogue for the game.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Devs said that Chris Pratt was the only one unavailable for voice acting.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

And Bryce has like 2 lines that get recycled so don't get worked up about her name being attached to it. Fortunately, Goldblum has a lot to say.

There's also a new character, Cabot the PR guy, who's real good at pretending he doesn't see all the awful stuff you do in the park. I like him.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's good, but I'd really like to see some herd/pack behaviors and the carnivore aggressiveness toned down. Seems odd when the Dinos don't move around as a herd or stick together in any way, making mixed pens look chaotic as gently caress. They don't even react when their buddy gets mauled 20 feet away. Meanwhile predators kill on sight even while full, leaving a trail of uneaten bodies behind them which really kills the idea of mixed enclosures with various predators/prey. Fights are also rarely if ever backed down from.

One of the best things about JPOG was those little behavior details that made the animals seem more real and a lot more interesting to watch. They guarded territory and food, they didn't always act predictably, and they mostly just murdered things to eat when hungry.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 14, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Really hoping this game gets an overhaul, but I'll probably wait for it to be on sale regardless. I love this type of game but all of the comments I've seen make it seem incomplete.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I feel like there’s some fundamental things about this game that I don’t understand and it’s making me feel stupid and crippling my enjoyment.

I’ve got buildings that say they’re unpowered, and I build a substation right next to them and connect the substation to the power grid via pylons, but the building is still marked as unpowered. Meanwhile I’ve got adjacent buildings that are powered just fine. Right now I’ve got an unpowered ranger station and that’s stopping me from progressing with a contract, meanwhile my park is hemorrhaging money.

Am I boned and should start over? Or am I just stupid? I just wanna see cool dinosaurs do cool stuff and so far I feel like I’m spending more time loving around on the outside of the enclosure.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Xenomrph posted:

I feel like there’s some fundamental things about this game that I don’t understand and it’s making me feel stupid and crippling my enjoyment.

I’ve got buildings that say they’re unpowered, and I build a substation right next to them and connect the substation to the power grid via pylons, but the building is still marked as unpowered. Meanwhile I’ve got adjacent buildings that are powered just fine. Right now I’ve got an unpowered ranger station and that’s stopping me from progressing with a contract, meanwhile my park is hemorrhaging money.

Am I boned and should start over? Or am I just stupid? I just wanna see cool dinosaurs do cool stuff and so far I feel like I’m spending more time loving around on the outside of the enclosure.

Drop a screenshot in and lemme see. It might be that you total power output is too low on your network. Ranger station needs 10 right? How much available power is at your station when you mouse over? Dinosaurs are the things that bring in the cash. Even cheapo ones will get you out of the red.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Make sure you make a path to the power station. I kept forgetting to do that and it won’t make power otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I had an anklyosaurus flip one of my ranger jeeps over a fence, so I’m pretty satisfied.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 14, 2018

• Locked thread