Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favourite Ace Combat LP?
This poll is closed.
Ace Combat Zero 22 24.18%
Ace Combat 2 / Assault Horizon Legacy 3 3.30%
Ace Combat 04 7 7.69%
Ace Combat 5 13 14.29%
Ace Combat 6 3 3.30%
Killzone 1 43 47.25%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
For what it's worth AH is ranked significantly higher (77) than Infinity (54) on metacritic, and only three points below 6 (80). Fan response calling it pure evil, yes, critical response - no. Not that critical response as summarized by Metacritic is the sole indicator of success, of course, but for a quick barometer check it's good enough.

nine-gear crow posted:

There's definitely some interesting "perception vs. reality" reaction going on w/r/t Assault Horizon where it sold respectively well in retrospect and yet people still hate it and blame it for wrecking the franchise. (Hello, Last Jedi)

the more I look at it, the more I like this comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
AC 6 is an Xbox 360 exclusive, so of course it sold fewer copies: that's kinda what happens when you put a game on a system that very few of the fans actually own. Without knowing what Microsoft gave them for that exclusive, we can't really judge how much of an effect the sales actually have.

We should note though, that AC:AH was supposed to be a franchise reboot, and that obviously didn't happen, so something obviously went wrong. At a guess, they were probably hoping to make a bunch of money selling DLC for the multiplayer Modern Warfare style, but that didn't pan out, so the game probably didn't meet the opportunity cost.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

thetruegentleman posted:

AC 6 is an Xbox 360 exclusive, so of course it sold fewer copies: that's kinda what happens when you put a game on a system that very few of the fans actually own. Without knowing what Microsoft gave them for that exclusive, we can't really judge how much of an effect the sales actually have.

I addressed that, but if you need another point, AC6 sold a lot of Xbox 360s in Japan and in NA, of course, it held market dominance.

As far as your guess about DLC being the key factor, obviously neither one of us can prove it but I'm not convinced. AC6 had so much DLC (with $180+ in cosmetics, basically) and Infinity was literally F2P. Or in other words, Namco was making GBS threads out "pay me" DLC like their house was on fire for everything.

And multiplayer in AH, of which I played a lot, was basically AC6 multiplayer refined - not something they focused development time on super hard, not the key selling point in the marketing, it was just there. If it matters, post-launch AC6 had ten DLC packs and AH had eight. So you sum all that up and with MP not being their primary focus in marketing the game and with post-launch support being more or less similar, well. :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 7, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

I addressed that, but if you need another point, AC6 sold Xbox 360s in Japan and in NA, of course, it held market dominance.

It also qualified for Xbox 360 Platinum Hits status, though Microsoft has been quite vague on what, specifically, the sales metric is for a game to qualify for "Platinum" status. I pointed this out in one of the previous LP threads but the only AC games to not hit some kind of "Greatest Hits/Platinum" status were Ace Combat 2, Ace Combat 3, Ace Combat Zero, Ace Combat X, and Joint Assault. Assault Horizon Legacy got a re-release with AHL+, and AH itself also got a complete edition re-release on PC too.

And the only reason Zero missed out on the Greatest Hits train was because it came out right at the end of the PS2's lifespan and got subsumed by 6's launch a few months later.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Being multiplatform probably had a fair amount to do with assault horizon's good sales, and that probably influences AC7's multiplatform.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Being multiplatform probably had a fair amount to do with assault horizon's good sales, and that probably influences AC7's multiplatform.

and those of us who are primarily PC players are eternally grateful for it :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Rescue

Mission 3: Operation Fogbound – June 2nd, 2019

Overview: A group of business leaders from around the globe collectively known as the “Greymen” have been kidnapped by the Sons of Troia terrorist organization. They have been taken to Iyuli, the Special Economic Zone of southern Russia. Bone Arrow Squadron is deployed to Iyuli to assist the UNF task force in a rescue operation led by the UNF’s own Ridgeback Squadron.

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this mission by Psion.

RIDGEBACK SQUADRON
United Nations Air Force, 1st Air Division, 19th Tactical Fighter Squadron
Members:
  • Ridgeback 1 – John “Slash” Herbert
  • Ridgeback 2 – Kei “Edge” Nagase
  • Ridgeback 3 – [REDACTED] “Lance” [REDACTED]
  • Ridgeback 4 – [REDACTED] “Fencer” [REDACTED]
  • Ridgeback 5 – [REDACTED] “Axeman” [REDACTED]
AWACS Operator: “SkyEye”
Squadron Composition: ASF-X Shinden II (x5)

Basically Scarface minus Phoenix.

Ridgeback Squadron is the pride of the UNF air forces, operating in combat zones with the full authority of the UN Security Council. The Ridgebacks are usually only called in when a clear message needs to be sent. They are the professionals compared to UNICS and their contract pirates.

This professionalism has created an air of pride (others would argue arrogance) among the squadron, fostered in large part by its commander, who flies under the TAC name Slash. This has led to a bit of “snobs vs. slobs” friction between our two main teams of pilots, with Ridgebacks being an official sanctioned and properly outfited squadron vs. Bone Arrows, who are a cobbled together, unprofessional and money-grubbing crew at their core.

Perhaps the two teams may have something to teach one another, however. Only time will tell.

The emblem of Ridgeback Squadron sports a Labrador Retriever as its mascot, the same species of dog as the mascot of Wardog Squadron, Kirk, from Ace Combat 5. It also features the major stars of the constellation Canis Major, including Sriris, the brightest star in the night sky, also known as the “Dog Star” for its position in Canis.

SLASH
Callsign(s): Ridgeback 1, Slash
Sex: Male
Nationality: America
Signature Plane: ASF-X Shinden II
Voice Actor: Uncredited

Flight lead of the UNF’s Ridgeback Squadron. A cocky and arrogant pilot, his pride, however is backed up by his phenomenal skill in the cockpit. Slash is perhaps the top ace in the UNF’s air force, boasting not just an unrivaled kill count, but also a spotless record of never losing a wingman on a deployed sortie. He is also rigid and by the book, looking down on the unconventional mercenary tactics of the Bone Arrows. That said, he commands the absolute loyalty of his squadron, chief among them, his right hand woman Edge.

He is of course one giant reference to Ace Combat 2’s Slash.

EDGE
Callsign(s): Ridgeback 2, Edge
Sex: Female
Nationality: Japan
Signature Plane: ASF-X Shinden II
Voice Actor: Kari Wahlgren (Uncredited)

Ridgeback’s #2 and Slash’s trusted confidant (and possibly girlfriend, the game is INCREDIBLY vague on that one). She is a mirror to her TAC name on a personal level; narrow-minded and razor-focused, cynical and cutting, and incredibly hot-tempered. Slash appears to be the only person capable of keeping her emotional streak in check, though Viper seems capable of giving her a run for her money.

She is hostile too and looks down up the Bone Arrows at the outside, believing them to be nothing more than money-hounding pirates just out for a paycheck while her team is actually here to get the mission done properly.

And as you’ve all figured out by now, it’s not an Ace Combat game without a Nagase in it somewhere. Infinity’s Nagase is more in line with Assault Horizon Legacy’s take on the character, with her being Frigid Professional Woman, as opposed to The Unsung War’s Nagase, who was the emotional heart of the narrative and the stealth protagonist of that game. And true to form, Nagase will be the only person in Infinity with an actual character arc of sorts, as meager as it is…

THE GREYMEN

Do you remember Ace Combat 5? I remember Ace Combat 5.

In Infinity’s universe, the Greymen (all one word as opposed to in 5 where it’s two words) are a circle of nine business leaders of great but rather nebulous importance to the world, established in the wake of the Ulysses Disaster to oversee global rebuilding and recovery efforts.

However, the secretive cabal has been accused of committing or enabling all manner of abusive practices, especially in the Special Economic Zones, and have come under fire from all sides for their shady dealings. Their kidnapping by the Sons of Toria terrorist organization has led to an uncomfortable situation in the global business community, with many being forced to reconcile the Greymen’s crimes with their vital position in the global economy.

While the UN is mounting a fully sanctioned rescue operation to free the Greymen from SOT custody, there are just as many within the organization who are content to leave them to their fate in Iyuli as there are those dedicated to seeing them recovered alive.

Of course, the reference here is to the Grey Men of Ace Combat 5, the background antagonists of the narrative who were also a shadowy cabal of businessmen, military figures and politicians led by the CEO of Gründer Industries. Though thankfully Infinity Greymen don’t have as far reaching an impact on the plot as 5’s do.

THE SONS OF TORIA

A terrorist group formed in the aftermath of the Ulysses Disaster whose members are curbed from the so-called “lost generation” of young Ulysses survivors, whose futures were ruined by the global economic collapse it brought about.

Their stated mission is to abolish the Special Economic Zones and establish a new independent state. However, the SOT has so far only been able to thrive and operate thanks to the largely lawless frontiers of the SEZs and the black market grid of trade and transport between them.

Tracks featured in Mission 3:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I hope we see more crazy skins like the Hibiki Ganaha on the harrier for this mission.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

el dorito posted:

I hope we see more crazy skins like the Hibiki Ganaha on the harrier for this mission.

I haven't really checked the multiplayer footage that ACES and motoh sent me because I'm a lazy rear end, but I think this is the only iDOLM@STER plane that gets shown off.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

I haven't really checked the multiplayer footage that ACES and motoh sent me because I'm a lazy rear end, but I think this is the only iDOLM@STER plane that gets shown off.

There were a crap ton of crossovers so I’ll try to keep my eyes peeled for an emblem or two

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I showed off everything I had in the first ep, it was just fast forwarded through.

Nothing was really levelled enough to use in multiplayer (or bought in general) though, so I kinda had to pick and choose stuff I had that were my favorites and/or more interesting in the campaign.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

el dorito posted:

fun fact: rather than being skins for existing planes, the special skins are actually totally different planes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I showed off everything I had in the first ep, it was just fast forwarded through.

Nothing was really levelled enough to use in multiplayer (or bought in general) though, so I kinda had to pick and choose stuff I had that were my favorites and/or more interesting in the campaign.

How many idolm@s planes did you wind up getting anyway? It's always funny to see that kind of crossover, even if it is to be expected after they showed up in AC6 because of both series being owned by Bamco and all that. Hibiki is a good start.

Also, so many Strangereal itches scratched by this game. Yeah, it was a lovely cash grab, but I liked how they changed up a bunch of some of the best missions from the Golden Trilogy, complete with music. And all the weird poo poo and references they managed to stuff into this game made me so happy when I was watching gameplay videos of the missions a couple years back.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

nine-gear crow posted:

This has led to a bit of “snobs vs. slobs” friction between our two main teams of pilots, with Ridgebacks being an official sanctioned and properly outfited squadron vs. Bone Arrows, who are a cobbled together, unprofessional and money-grubbing crew at their core.

To be fair, judging from the briefing, this comparison is 100% true. You can't really argue about not being money-grubbing when one of the things your own flight lead says is 'Hey, be sure to get more kills than these guys, otherwise I won't get paid as much, and neither will you.'

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

How many idolm@s planes did you wind up getting anyway? It's always funny to see that kind of crossover, even if it is to be expected after they showed up in AC6 because of both series being owned by Bamco and all that. Hibiki is a good start.

I got the ones I cared to get, namely Hibiki, Makoto, and Ritsuko. I don't think I ever ended up getting the bomber though, and I'm sure I got a bunch of the others but I can't recall which.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Can you really call it (just) a terrorist group when it has the ability to muster an army, take over a stonehenge installation, and launch loving SSTOs?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
You guys are literally mercenaries, of course this is about the loving money! You'd think Omega would be happy to have a boss with big enough balls to somehow strong arm the USAF and UN into hiring the group for missions where they don't seem needed.

VKing posted:

Can you really call it (just) a terrorist group when it has the ability to muster an army, take over a stonehenge installation, and launch loving SSTOs?

Calling them an army would kinda legitimize them, so terrorist fits pretty well; besides that, you need to follow certain rules of engagement to become a legitimate armed group, and kidnapping people isn't exactly following the rules.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 13, 2018

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I got the ones I cared to get, namely Hibiki, Makoto, and Ritsuko. I don't think I ever ended up getting the bomber though, and I'm sure I got a bunch of the others but I can't recall which.

No mention of Ami/Mami, Chihaya, Miki, Hibiki, Takane, or Yayoi, I am disappoint. And yes, I did basically name most of the original cast of iDOLM@S, even though I am clearly more of a Love Live (and now Bandori) kind of guy, the original generation of 765 Pro are still very good girls.

Props for mentioning Makoto and Ritsuko though.

I take it there weren't Cinderella Girls skins? There would be a ton of them if they were included. Wouldn't put it past Bamco to try and milk the skins for all they're worth out of idol fans' wallets.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Cinderella Girls skins, no. Only a set of Emblems and Titles (Idol Name's Producer).

Most collaboration events were pretty much for earning new Emblems and Titles, and all of the IM@S planes (except the B-2A IIRC) existed previously.

The only other collaborations I recall that had unique planes were the Tekken, Area 88, and Sky Kid ones.

Also, the Xevious thing where the Bacura appeared enmasse above Tokyo in the Online Co-Op Mission and you could shoot them down. Although, they were huge damage sponges. So much so that they ended up taking tens of missiles with constant machinegun fire.

Never managed to take a Piston Plane to go up against them though. So I have no idea how much double machinegun fire and Rocket Launchers it would have taken to take just one down.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Rorahusky posted:

To be fair, judging from the briefing, this comparison is 100% true. You can't really argue about not being money-grubbing when one of the things your own flight lead says is 'Hey, be sure to get more kills than these guys, otherwise I won't get paid as much, and neither will you.'

The Ridgeback's arrogance doesn't really scream 'professional' to me either. They come off less as the best-of-the-best and more of a bunch of jerks whose mumsy and daddy bought them the best airplanes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I know this isn't the Ace Combat general thread in Games, but I figured people here would be interested in the new trailer that dropped at E3 an hour or so ago. Only a minute and a half long, so there's not much more info in it, except a bit of explanation of the apparent Osean penal squadron you've been dragooned into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRByopXiAI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

I know this isn't the Ace Combat general thread in Games, but I figured people here would be interested in the new trailer that dropped at E3 an hour or so ago. Only a minute and a half long, so there's not much more info in it, except a bit of explanation of the apparent Osean penal squadron you've been dragooned into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRByopXiAI

And still no release date :nallears:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

That too, which sucks. Gamescom, maybe?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't worry Bandai addressed that! "We will communicate on a release date as soon as it's locked down. this is getting close now. thanks for your patience."

Oh. I'm sure there's...a good reason?

:eng99:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

Don't worry Bandai addressed that! "We will communicate on a release date as soon as it's locked down. this is getting close now. thanks for your patience."

Oh. I'm sure there's...a good reason?

:eng99:

They're still trying to patch the self-inflicted VR wound :ssh:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

They're still trying to patch the self-inflicted VR wound :ssh:

That...makes a depressing amount of sense.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So for those who remember this thing of greatness:

By random I found out that the same artist has drawn more of them:

Still have not a single clue who the artist source is though as I found them a bit by random on 4chan earlier.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
As a fun fact, the Circum-Pacific War information is actually released one year after Erusea decided that it wanted to start up some poo poo again. This means that Erusea was one year off from learning that Osea had a pilot equal to Mobius; one wonders if they would have still started poo poo with the knowledge that Blaze might still be out there.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Cooked Auto posted:

So for those who remember this thing of greatness:

By random I found out that the same artist has drawn more of them:

Still have not a single clue who the artist source is though as I found them a bit by random on 4chan earlier.

He may just be an anon drawfag from the /aceg/ thread. Because this also exists (spoilers)-

The other theory is they're hiimdaisy but I can find no evidence of this

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hey guys, I'm not crow, but maybe could we back away from the 4chan poo poo?

Like, especially 'drawfag' I mean come on, it's 2018.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey guys, I'm not crow, but maybe could we back away from the 4chan poo poo?

Like, especially 'drawfag' I mean come on, it's 2018.

I'm gonna actually throw my weight behind this. I "appreciate" discussing fan content and community involvement, but please try your best to keep andy 4chan content out of my LP threads. Thank you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Paingod556 posted:

The other theory is they're hiimdaisy but I can find no evidence of this

Nah, I think gigi d.g.'s early style was just easy to imitate.

Sorry my bad, just recalled the first comic was liked and found more of it. :shobon:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 16, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just had the misfortune to run across a ready player one post on the internet and suddenly I realized crow's thread title is actually perfect. I'm not sure how I missed that before but just like RPO, Infinity just regurgitates a bunch of references from prior games and says "yeah, I made a reference, cool, huh?" much like RPO regurgitates (sometimes literally) a wikipedia article about the 80s and hopes you find that awesome.

now i'm even more mad at this game

On the other hand, the creepy anime girl plane skins are no longer the worst part about it. Silver lining!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

I just had the misfortune to run across a ready player one post on the internet and suddenly I realized crow's thread title is actually perfect. I'm not sure how I missed that before but just like RPO, Infinity just regurgitates a bunch of references from prior games and says "yeah, I made a reference, cool, huh?" much like RPO regurgitates (sometimes literally) a wikipedia article about the 80s and hopes you find that awesome.

On the other hand, the creepy anime girl plane skins are no longer the worst part about it. Silver lining!

Hah!

The best balm I can offer for becoming another hapless victim of the Clineian vortex is 372 Pages We’ll Never Get Back, a podcast by Mike J Nelson and Connor Lastwoka of Rifftrax dedicated to dismantling both Ready Player One and Armada as systematically as they possibly can. And I’m not just plugging it because I wrote a submission for the “Fanfic or Real” game they play each episode for the Armada half of the series. Because Armada was so bad it didn’t even have any fanfiction written about it, unlike RP1, so the 372 Pages audience had to step up and write their own, so it became a game of who could do their best impersonation of Cline’s awful writing style. (Mike said mine was “perfect”, for what it’s worth :allears:).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I am so glad the AC3 futureplanes are in this and that you gave one an outing. They're things of rare beauty, I dig the 90s cyberpunk style.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Psion posted:

At least Infinity tries to be fun with its blatant nostalgia, which is more than what RPO does.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Breaking News: The Ace Combat LP that nobody even wanted is now finally up on the LP Archive :toot:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Breaking News: The Ace Combat LP that nobody even wanted is now finally up on the LP Archive :toot:

But you haven't even finished posting all the updates for this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Thank you to everyone who was enjoying this LP, but due to, let's call them outside circumstances, I'm cancelling this LP effective immediately. I apologize profusely for it, but I just don't feel comfortable update it anymore given the situation surrounding it. If need be, I will reopen the thread at a later date to discuss matters further.

For now though, I pray I will never have to.

• Locked thread