Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Obligatory fanboy statement:
Nakar, reading your Ultima 4-7 LPs in the archive is the primary reason I got an account and started participating in the LP forum. :cheers:

LP-related content:
I remember the 2400 baud days, although I was always more into the BBS and text-based games (e.g. MUDs) than the graphical stuff. With that said, there are games that have (I'm pretty sure) the same effect Nakar is talking about. I keep an archive of really REALLY old games kicking around - I'll see if I can find one that has a similar sort of graphics loading method that's actually freely available (and not just :filez:)

I never played this game - my $400 phone bill moment was spent chatting on what, I realize in retrospect, was IRC charged at $6.95 an hour. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Fat Samurai posted:

“I hear you need a new sacrifice to power up your ritual to stop the bad guy. Here, have a volunteer”

I'm voting for this one. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Obviously, we need to dare the troll... to ARM WRESTLE us!

The witch said that trolls can't resist a dare and can't swim - obviously we dare him to jump in the well.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Nakar posted:

It really isn't. I'm not even kidding, that loading stuff was magical. Hopefully Epsilon Moonshade can find a good example.

It's really not a GOOD example since the graphics are so primitive (and small,) but Moraff's World has this sort of loading for its graphics. Crank the CPU cycles down on DOSBOX, get it running (which I recall being pretty drat fiddly even on contemporary computers* - sound familiar? :v:), create your character, get into the game, and watch the elements being drawn letters and pixels at a time.

Not sure if it's exactly the same sort of drawing as this, since I've never played this game before (as I said before) - but it should be close if I'm reading Nakar's description correctly.

I'll get a gameplay video tonight after work if I can figure out how to get FRAPS to play nice - it's been literally a decade since I've messed with it.

* Fiddly for different reasons, though. U7 was memory management - Moraff's World just has 200000 different video modes you can use, and only some of them work as expected.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ManxomeBromide posted:

The early Sierra graphical adventures worked like this too, more or less; I have not-very-fond memories of King's Quest II on the PCjr painstakingly drawing out each screen. The memories might have been fonder if I didn't know that nearly every save I ever made in that game was in an unwinnable situation. I'll give MadMaze this; this PoPs have no memory, it seems like unwinnability is impossible.

If FRAPS misbehaves, I've had excellent results lately with OBS Studio.

What I was hoping is that I could find something which wasn't "Abandonware*" (which I'm pretty sure Moraff's World is unless its status has changed since I last looked) and which would run on a fairly common emulator (which I think DOSBox is.) I've got a crapton of old games sitting around - I'm bound to find something that'll emulate, and a lot of it is shareware so I can distribute it. The FRAPS/.gif/recording bit is for if I can't find anything else.

I'll keep the OBS Studio thing in mind though - I'd like to avoid paying for FRAPS if I can help it, because I'd basically never use it.

Unless I start doing LPs or something. Not out of the question, but not terribly likely.

* Abandonware in the sense of, once again, :filez: - it's technically a copyright violation, although most of the time the owner doesn't give a poo poo anymore. But some of the oldschool games like Castle Of The Winds (a roguelike published back when Epic was still Mega,) Reaping the Dungeon (also a pretty cool roguelike,) or Stellar Conquest 3 (by NecroBones, currently modding KSP,) have been explicitly released as freeware. I'd prefer either those or something that's Shareware.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ManxomeBromide posted:

The King's Quest games are still owned (by Activision) and actively sold (by GOG), so they aren't abandonware at all, just old.

But YouTube came through! Here's the PCjr KQ2 drawing its scenes on the fly. It seems the other releases of KQ2 did not do this, based on the other videos I found along the way.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of "something I could link y'all to so you could experience it for yourself." It's simultaneously annoying and retro in a way that goes beyond the pixel art.

I'll still post something if I find it in my big blob o' shareware, but at least I don't need to make a video/.gif now. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

It's pointed out that he's a black knight.

Obviously the answer is to cut off his arms and legs, and call it a draw. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Adamant posted:

Captain Marvel's "Shazam" is on the list too.

I'm kind of disappointed that XYZZY or PLUGH weren't, though.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I'd argue against the VN classification if only because too much of the interactivity doesn't affect the story.

I don't have a formal definition of VNs, but from what I've seen in LPs*, I'd say they have (at least) two characteristics:
- More story than interaction.
- The majority of interactions affect the story in some way.

MadMaze fails both tests - solving the mazes would take up the majority of the game time, and how you solve the mazes doesn't affect the story.

As for what genre it would be in? One that basically doesn't exist anymore - maze games. I remember seeing them all over the place as a kid. Sure, it's broken up by story as an added hook, but the main mechanic of the game is maze exploration.

That's not to say it's good. :v:

* Okay, I haven't seen that many visual novels, but basing it off of the The House in Fata Morgana LP that's currently going, this seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Gloomy Rube posted:

MadMaze has even less interactivity, so it is one too. :v:

kw0134 posted:

To a large extent the Phoenix Wright games are like that: you have a correct action or else the game ends/loops until you figure it out. Of the first four games of the series there are a total of two "meaningful" choices and they're literally at the end when you can select the ending you get.

I specifically avoided the word "meaningful" in my casual definition, just that the choices affect the story in some way. For example, going left vs. right at a maze junction doesn't affect the story told by the game, but it is interactive. It's interaction that's a lot more entertaining when you're 10, but it's still an interaction with the game.

Contrast choosing the wrong talisman power in a PoP, which is interaction and story-affecting (at least to the extent that it gives you different bits of story depending on what you do.)

I'd feel a lot better saying that this game should have been a VN than saying it is one.

kw0134 posted:

Now I've heard that Phoenix Wright games aren't VNs in the typical sense either so I'm curious how people would argue for or against it in light of this definition.

Don't you have to choose places to go with your investigation, or am I getting this mixed up with the Aviary Attorney LP? And then I guess there's the evidence presentation in the trial, but that's kinda like choosing (a thousand) words on a screen...

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever actually played a VN - just seen a few LPed. This is more me providing a starting point for creating a definition than a "fight me" moment - I'm sure there are others who are deeply into the genre who can define it (or at least put some broad chalk lines around the borders of it.)

Dragonatrix posted:

I'd say something more important for a VN is that there are visuals, personally. :v:

And then there's this, although I'd give it a pass considering the medium.

• Locked thread