Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Everyone was so excited that we forgot the make a thread before the tournament started... right?

Pictured below, last years women's winner Jelena Ostapenko, who already crumbled in the first round :sigh:

Tournament winner odds
These are slightly wonky as the first round hasn't finished and I grabbed these just now.

Rafa Nadal 1.48
Alex Zverev 10.0
Novak Djokovic 16.0
Dominic Thiem 18.5

Elina Svitolina 5.8
Simona Halep 6.6
Maria Sharapova 14.0
Petra Kvitova 12.5
Serena Williams 16.0
Garbine Muguruza 16.5

Zverev and Theim have both been playing well in the past few weeks. Kvitova won back to back clay tournaments. And maybe Svitolina will do something at a slam for once?

Order of play
link

Draws
link

Radio Roland Garros
link

If you're thinking of download the RG app, don't it is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Ostapenko crashing out early was the most obvious thing. Maybe not first round, but still.

Osaka won, which is good. And Bencic won, which is great since it feels like she's been injured or coming back from an injury for ages now. Going on two years maybe? I can't remember, but I'll be happy if she can get back to the top. And Petra's been the best player on the WTA this season so far and might actually go deep here, which is also great. I hope she wins it, and then wins Wimbledon too.

Other than that though, this is definitely the least interested I've been in a major in a long, long time. Hopefully the actual tennis is good and makes up for the lack of drama/match-ups/narratives. I don't even know what to say about the men's side at this tournament.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

At least we have the heart-warming story of Lucky Loser Trungelliti driving back to Paris from Barcelona and then beating Tomic.

Very rough match from Sharapova. Completely wondered off in the second set.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Boris Becker has lost a lot of weight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bollig posted:

Boris Becker has lost a lot of weight.

He should play again I bet he could beat all the dope frauds.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Zverev is making everything look hard.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1001489687939252228

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Just got home from work. Zverev down 1-2 and Kei down 1-2 to Paire :munch:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 30, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm feeling nostalgic tonight. You guys remember when Djokovic was finally going to win RG for the first time, but instead Wawrinka just utterly clobbered him? drat, that was a great match. I basically spent the entirety of sets 2-4 getting my mind blown repeatedly.

... :smith:

Anyway Dimitrov's out, Svitolina's out, Osaka's out.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Goffin/Monfils was a good match. You knew what was going to happen when Monfils didn't serve out the forth.

Nadal is still trucking along nicely.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So I just found out in the last 5 minutes that there are two Zverevs. I just thought that Mischa was short for Alex or something. Especially because Alex is called Sascha? I must have known they were brothers but just forgot it.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Third five-setter in a row for Sascha. Up a break.

Will he finally beat a top 50 player in a slam and reach a quarter-final? Stay tuned.

Edit: oh, he beat Dzumhur in the third round so top 50’s done

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 3, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

fancyclown posted:

Third five-setter in a row for Sascha. Up a break.

The tournament's turning into a real gauntlet for Zverev.

I'm going to make a dumb prediction and say Verdasco's going to knock out Novak in five. I've got a feeling.

edit: Heh.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2018

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Cecchinato is up two sets against Djokovic, but a break down in the third.

Zverev's five setters caught up with him.

Sloane Stephens is silently going for another slam?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Cecchinato is up two sets against Djokovic, but a break down in the third.

This is an insanely good match

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol this match

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeeesssssss get hosed djoko

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Holy gently caress that tie break had everything (pretty much the only decent tennis today).

Well done Cecchinato, he was the only person who didn't mentally check out in the forth set.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when people were saying that Djokovic would be on par with Roger? lol

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That was a fun tiebreak. Thiem is almost certainly going to clobber him in the semi-final, but that doesn't matter right now. Is it too much to hope for a Thiem/Delpo final?

Sodium Chloride posted:

Sloane Stephens is silently going for another slam?

I'd love this. My preferred outcome, although Halep finally winning one would be great too.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Nouni had the worst overrule when Carebear should’ve been up 3-0 in tie-break. She won the set anyway but goddamn FO needs hawk-eye

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Hopefully schwartzman has the tank to sustain this

He's got a rocket of a 2handed backhand - seems to have been surprising nadal with how quickly his shots get on him

This kid is loving awesome how have i not seen more of his games - he is cranking the poo poo out of the ball

aejix fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 6, 2018

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Rafa literally eating poo poo

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
:imunfunny:

quote:

"I don't know," Djokovic said during his brusque post-match press conference when asked where and when he plans to play next. "I don't know if I'm gonna play on grass."

The reporter who asked the question was taken aback. "At all?"

"I don't know if I'm gonna play on grass," Djokovic repeated.

The issue came up again later in the presser, and Djokovic cut in before the questioner could finish.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do, I really don't know," he said. "I just came from the court, I don't know. Sorry guys, I cannot give you that answer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqJEDCUNBkg

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Man what a baby

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

oliwan posted:

Yeeesssssss get hosed djoko

My tournament thoughts (so far) summed up above.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Alas, the Schwartzman adventure is over.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
He is hanging on like grim death

Edit: aha yes now it's over

bollig fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 7, 2018

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Halep played great against Mugu. Interested to see how she’s gonna blow the final this time lmao

Both men’s semis should be great

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

If Halep can't beat Stephens then she'll never win a slam.

Keys' inability to play decently against Stephens is sad.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Halep v Stephens is interesting. I imagine Halep might be a little desperate to finally win one, but her recent record in finals is obviously not so stellar whereas Sloane has never lost one, and has a really cool and steely demeanor on court as well. I feel like Halep will start strongly, maybe winning the first set, but I'm not sure she'll survive once things derail / her form drops a bit and Stephens starts to mount a comeback.

I like 'em both so win-win for me, at least. I hope it's good.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

my analysis is that Halep will win because she's better

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Genuinely expected a lot more from Del Potro.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there any chance at all Thiem pulls it off

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The answer: lol.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

Halep v Stephens is interesting. I imagine Halep might be a little desperate to finally win one, but her recent record in finals is obviously not so stellar whereas Sloane has never lost one, and has a really cool and steely demeanor on court as well. I feel like Halep will start strongly, maybe winning the first set, but I'm not sure she'll survive once things derail / her form drops a bit and Stephens starts to mount a comeback.

I like 'em both so win-win for me, at least. I hope it's good.

Yeah this is well put, I think Halep either doesn't let up and wins solidly in 2 or loses in 3 in agonizing fashion

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Stephens showing some genuine composure out there right now. Totally stonewalling Halep.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sloane's game looks so effortless. Makes it seem like Halep's working twice as hard in every point.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Stephens was very impressive, playing better than the US Open final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
drat good set by Stephens. Great rallies too

• Locked thread