Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Show me an old-school adventure where the authors had any idea of a level-appropriate challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
IDK, level drain never struck me as an antagonistic DM earworm level threat that seems completely created to gently caress over players from doing something that makes sense, like listening at a door, or the other lovely mimic like creatures or uninteresting cursed items.

I confess to having never played where we kept meticulous track of experience though, so maybe losing thousands of xp would feel really bad even beyond the loss in power, which probably isn't that big a deal beyond the mechanical annoyance of tracking it. Like how much more powerful is a level 4 fighter than a level 3 fighter anyway?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

+5% to hit, a dozen hit points if they got lucky, and a save bonus every other level.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Siivola posted:

+5% to hit, a dozen hit points if they got lucky, and a save bonus every other level.

Yeah, that's what I thought, none of that seems that horrible beyond just having to track it on the character sheet, which maybe is enough of a pain to never want to use it at table.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Payndz posted:

Level drain makes no sense in the old-school approach to adventures of "you must be this tall (level)" to enter. Great, you just got hit by a Shadow or whatever and now your character is mechanically all but useless within the adventure and doomed to be killed by higher-level dangers. Sadistic rear end in a top hat DMs will be chortling behind their screens, but who ever enjoyed playing against (rather than with) them anyway?

Except it was common for people of mixed levels to play in "Ye Olde Schoole" adventures. Wasn't the standard pretty much "if your character dies roll a new one and start over"? or "promote your hench but they're (at least) a level udner you?" A danger that's bad enough to cause you to really steer clear of it until you've recuperated, done some more adventuring, and then prepared carefully for tackling it again doesn't seem too out there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as I understand, level drain was invented to handle PCs who were overpowered or had nothing to do at high level. There are better ways of dealing with that, so level drain as a mechanic is basically obsolete.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Siivola posted:

Show me an old-school adventure where the authors had any idea of a level-appropriate challenge.

Most old school adventures put what level they were intended for on the cover. Yes, level appropriate was a thing back in the day.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Most old school adventures put what level they were intended for on the cover. Yes, level appropriate was a thing back in the day.
Sure, but that's never stopped devs from putting in wildly inappropriate monsters.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
If you get level drained below the threshold where your character normally gets access to domain management stuff, like your barony or thieves' guild or whatever, does your retinue abandon you mid-mission?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mellonbread posted:

If you get level drained below the threshold where your character normally gets access to domain management stuff, like your barony or thieves' guild or whatever, does your retinue abandon you mid-mission?
If they didn't, the character would end up getting a second retinue when they get the lost levels back! :v:

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The reason I ask is that domain management rules are the one place where the GP to XP to levels conversion can be explained narratively in-setting. You get a big pile of money and you invest it in building a castle or opening a wizard dojo or whatever. Level drain reducing your level makes sense in the epistemology of the game world in all other respects - a necromantic creature slurped out some of your energy, making you weaker or worse at spells or whatever. But it introduces problems when that same "drain" is applied to a tangible physical asset that's already been bought and paid for.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Siivola posted:

If they didn't, the character would end up getting a second retinue when they get the lost levels back! :v:

Keeping a pet ghost so I am guaranteed infinite financial growth. The ultimate hustle. CEO grindset.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mellonbread posted:

The reason I ask is that domain management rules are the one place where the GP to XP to levels conversion can be explained narratively in-setting. You get a big pile of money and you invest it in building a castle or opening a wizard dojo or whatever. Level drain reducing your level makes sense in the epistemology of the game world in all other respects - a necromantic creature slurped out some of your energy, making you weaker or worse at spells or whatever. But it introduces problems when that same "drain" is applied to a tangible physical asset that's already been bought and paid for.
If we go by FG&G, while you do have to pay for their upkeep, your retinue originally seeks you out because you're famous and cool. It's a bit of a stretch but you could spin the drain as an ominous curse or metaphysical hollowness that drives people away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

neonchameleon posted:

Yeah, but huge parties of widely disparate levels was common. You wouldn't get level drained out of being able to participate in the module.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I think level-draining monsters have a niche as enemies that even the most bloodthirsty players will never, ever want to tangle with. You can plop a pack of wraiths down on anything from a key strategic point to a treasury full of +3 swords and 'is this worth engaging with' will remain a genuine question. That's pretty cool. Obviously, this approach requires the DM to make wraith rooms (a) optional and (b) reasonably predictable and/or escapable, but that shouldn't be a problem—practically any dungeon will be full of optional rooms unless it's totally linear, and the enemies (who, helpfully, are almost all extraplanar or undead) can be bound to 'the back half of the room by the treasure chest' or equivalent.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Level draining monsters gently caress with every character class, rust monsters are most harmful to fighters. Are there monsters that directly threaten casters, like erasing a spell from a wizard's repertoire, or cutting off a cleric's divine link?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elephant Parade posted:

I think level-draining monsters have a niche as enemies that even the most bloodthirsty players will never, ever want to tangle with. You can plop a pack of wraiths down on anything from a key strategic point to a treasury full of +3 swords and 'is this worth engaging with' will remain a genuine question. That's pretty cool. Obviously, this approach requires the DM to make wraith rooms (a) optional and (b) reasonably predictable and/or escapable, but that shouldn't be a problem—practically any dungeon will be full of optional rooms unless it's totally linear, and the enemies (who, helpfully, are almost all extraplanar or undead) can be bound to 'the back half of the room by the treasure chest' or equivalent.

imo the essence of 'old school' design is that there's no critical path - you're not telling a story that relies on any particular challenge being surmounted, so 'we got all the way to the treasure room then noped the gently caress out' is just as good a story as 'we beat the level appropriate encounter and got the treasure'.

i ran sailors on the starless sea for my crew and they got to the boat bit (which essentially takes you to the final encounter) and one of the players was like THIS IS THE SOURC EOF THE EVI LTHAT HAS BEEN PLAGUING OUR VILLAGE and burned it and they all went home. And why not?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

mellonbread posted:

Level draining monsters gently caress with every character class, rust monsters are most harmful to fighters. Are there monsters that directly threaten casters, like erasing a spell from a wizard's repertoire, or cutting off a cleric's divine link?
Well, rust monsters are a bother to clerics too, given that they're probably going to decked out with a mace, a shield, and some kind of metal armor. It's really only wizards and druids who get off scot-free, plus dedicated backliners of any class (bow-preferring fighters and thieves, cowardly clerics, etc.).

I like the idea of a spell-eating monster. I'm thinking a living grimoire who flings out razor-sharp pages that draw out magic-users' spells in their blood. Killing it means getting back your own spells and all the other ones it's stolen—as long as you don't ruin the physical book by burning it to a crisp, cutting it in half, et cetera. It'd make a good familiar or (library?) guardian.

sebmojo posted:

imo the essence of 'old school' design is that there's no critical path - you're not telling a story that relies on any particular challenge being surmounted, so 'we got all the way to the treasure room then noped the gently caress out' is just as good a story as 'we beat the level appropriate encounter and got the treasure'.

i ran sailors on the starless sea for my crew and they got to the boat bit (which essentially takes you to the final encounter) and one of the players was like THIS IS THE SOURC EOF THE EVI LTHAT HAS BEEN PLAGUING OUR VILLAGE and burned it and they all went home. And why not?
Yeah, exactly. If the players are required to activate and resolve each major encounter, wraiths suck because they're basically negative-level-dispensing slot machines. But if engaging is the player's choice, then so too is pulling the arm—and that makes all the difference.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
There's a disconnect between "old school" meaning intentional design with multiple paths and methods of resolution, versus the actual rules in some of the older editions that could spit out Wights and other level draining undead as part of the random encounter tables. I'm looking at the tables for Moldvay B/X now and it looks like you could get a flock of Wights as wandering monsters on Dungeon Level Level 3.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
This is probably the umpteenth time this has come up, but how do you sell Thief skills to players?

On the face of it, they look bad. 20% chance to move silently? Sure, let me sneak through this room with a 1 in 5 chance the monsters just turn around and clobber me.

The explanation I usually see is "ah, but anyone can move silently. Thief skills are for doing it at basically a supernatural level. "Hide in Shadows" is basically "Turn invisible" because there's always a shadow somewhere, right?"

Okay, but hide in shadows start off at 10%. It doesn't cross 50% until level 8! You would never ever want to rely on that. Right?

So I'm thinking of doing something like like, it's 10% to do it perfectly, and then the effect kind of drops off. Like the next 50% is "you do it, but they know something's up" or "you don't do it, but you can back out without consequence" and then finally you might get some actual pushback for rolling, like, 60%+. PbtA logic, basically. Is that too soft on 'em? Do thieves just push their luck constantly and it's all worth it for that one time they make off with the Arkenstone?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I've always thought that the classic rules for Thief skills only work if it's a % chance to just flawlessly do it no questions asked, and if you fail the thief skill roll, you still have the same chance to do what you're trying to do as a fighter or cleric or whoever. (Meaning either roleplaying your way through it, or making a DEX check, depending on how much you like to roll dice.)

I'm more of a fan of just giving Thieves Advantage on Thief Stuff, which scales with level on its own, or at least find a way to roll Thief Skills with a d6 or d20 instead of a d100.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mellonbread posted:

There's a disconnect between "old school" meaning intentional design with multiple paths and methods of resolution, versus the actual rules in some of the older editions that could spit out Wights and other level draining undead as part of the random encounter tables. I'm looking at the tables for Moldvay B/X now and it looks like you could get a flock of Wights as wandering monsters on Dungeon Level Level 3.

Then You Shouldn't Fight Them

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there anyway to make other languages fun at the table? It always struck me as something that could maybe be cool since language is so tied to history and culture, but in practice, it just seems annoying to try to play out where the DM tells something to one character who knows the language and the other players get the information anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there anyway to make other languages fun at the table? It always struck me as something that could maybe be cool since language is so tied to history and culture, but in practice, it just seems annoying to try to play out where the DM tells something to one character who knows the language and the other players get the information anyway.

Make it so the players are vital intermediaries between factions who don't know each others` languages.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

mellonbread posted:

Golems used to be immune to almost all magic before 3.5. In 3.5 they downgraded magic immunity to mean "you are immune to spells spell resistance effects" so although they were immune to fireballs spells like Black Tentacles worked normally because it wasn't the spell attacking the golem, the spell summoned the tentacles and the tentacles attacked the golem. And in 5e golems merely have advantage on saving throws.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shanty posted:

This is probably the umpteenth time this has come up, but how do you sell Thief skills to players?

On the face of it, they look bad. 20% chance to move silently? Sure, let me sneak through this room with a 1 in 5 chance the monsters just turn around and clobber me.

The explanation I usually see is "ah, but anyone can move silently. Thief skills are for doing it at basically a supernatural level. "Hide in Shadows" is basically "Turn invisible" because there's always a shadow somewhere, right?"

Okay, but hide in shadows start off at 10%. It doesn't cross 50% until level 8! You would never ever want to rely on that. Right?

So I'm thinking of doing something like like, it's 10% to do it perfectly, and then the effect kind of drops off. Like the next 50% is "you do it, but they know something's up" or "you don't do it, but you can back out without consequence" and then finally you might get some actual pushback for rolling, like, 60%+. PbtA logic, basically. Is that too soft on 'em? Do thieves just push their luck constantly and it's all worth it for that one time they make off with the Arkenstone?

When I do OSR with percentage based Thief Skills, I kind of do what you described: Success is flawless, Failure within a certain range is Success With a Consequence OR Failure With No Other Consequence, Extreme Failure is Failure And Also Consequences.

It works pretty well, and I tend to see players genuinely considering if the consequences are worth it.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

mellonbread posted:

Part of actual old school D&D as opposed to the revisionist perception is that sometimes the game Just Fucks You and there really isn't much you can do about it. Tying this back, this is why funnels are fun, it wholeheartedly embraces that aspect.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Saguaro PI posted:

Part of actual old school D&D as opposed to the revisionist perception is that sometimes the game Just Fucks You and there really isn't much you can do about it. Tying this back, this is why funnels are fun, it wholeheartedly embraces that aspect.

Yeah, the old school d&d char is a game piece, not a narrative element, killing them in goofy, random ways is part of what it's all about, just cook up a new one when you're done.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shanty posted:

I saw a bizarre argument in a video about this recently. They suggested that the purpose of thief as of AD&D was to allow non-humans to gain more hit dice than their level cap, and that was why only non-humans could multiclass freely.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Devorum posted:

When I do OSR with percentage based Thief Skills, I kind of do what you described: Success is flawless, Failure within a certain range is Success With a Consequence OR Failure With No Other Consequence, Extreme Failure is Failure And Also Consequences.
You got me thinking about Alternity's system, where if your skill is 16 it's actually 16/8/4 for success, great success, critical success.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

You got me thinking about Alternity's system, where if your skill is 16 it's actually 16/8/4 for success, great success, critical success.

That's basically modern BRP, isn't it? Well, with BRP it's X%/.5X%/.2X%, but same general idea.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Thinking about running OSE for my group. I want to do DCC, but the lack of weird dice is an issue.

If I do run OSE, what do y'all think about a house rule that Fighters and Dwarves do 1d8 weapon damage, and possibly get some benefits for slow two-handers (exploding damage dice limited to one explosion, advantage on damage, something like that)?

Oh, and maybe adding in Mighty Deeds?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Siivola posted:

Sure, but that's never stopped devs from putting in wildly inappropriate monsters.

“Level appropriate” doesn’t necessarily mean “if this monster is here you must fight it.” It might just mean an encounter table has a 1/12 chance of a dragon instead of a 1/4. Or that enemies likely to attack on sight are not high HD. Level appropriate was absolutely a thing in old adventures, it just didn’t meet this arbitrary definition.

RE: Level drain, I cannot imagine running a mechanic where I have to keep track of what a character’s stats were at every level just to make a scary monster. I’d just make a terrifying, stackable status effect and have the level drainers inflict that instead. You can even make characters stats worse; I just find it weird that the worse stats would have to match a specific previous state of the character without it being some kinda time travel effect or whatever.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 20, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Never don't add Mighty Deeds.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Never don't add Mighty Deeds.

That's my gut instinct for basically every game, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to blow the doors off OSE. It's been a long time since I've played B/X.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Devorum posted:

That's my gut instinct for basically every game, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to blow the doors off OSE. It's been a long time since I've played B/X.

What are you doing for the Deed dice if you're planning to avoid the zocchi set?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What is mighty deeds?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shanty posted:

What are you doing for the Deed dice if you're planning to avoid the zocchi set?

Use a d6 and d10 for the d3 and d5.

It's not so much that I'm planning to avoid them, it's that I'm in a country where they're hard to come by and delivery can take a while so it's just inconvenient to get multiple sets (I have my own set with me, of course). I can use the HTML Crawler, as well. Still haven't decided between the two systems. I might put it up to a group vote and see if they want a traditional Old School Experience or if they want to get real weird with it.

Also, I'm kind of feeling nostalgic for THAC0 and saving throw charts.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shanty posted:

If you’re okay with stopping at DCC level 4 equivalent deeds you can just double the die size, success starts at 5: d6, d8, d10, d12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

anothergod posted:

What is mighty deeds?

In DCC warrior types add a die to their attack rolls, if the die comes up 3+ they get to do a mighty deed as part of their attack. It’s freeform but basically let’s you do something that would be a specific kind of maneuver in crunchier games.