Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Two blogs I follow have recently posted about the alt-right in the OSR. I know ACKs is run by Milo's manager. I know James Raggi posts about Varg. What else is there?

sources: https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/2018/05/i-dont-know-bad-of-alt-right-problem.html

http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2018/05/goodbye-and-good-luck.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sorry, the OP was really really long

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I know we had discussed things like Tenkar bending the knee in the old thread so I didn't think it was any different in this thread. I've been threatened on G+ in the past for even bringing up diversity so no way was I going to ask about those posts there. And trade games as a subforum is pretty anti-OSR that I've seen so I don't really discuss it outside of the old thread and this thread.

I can respect the rules of this thread but I too think it's important to point out known shitheads

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Obviously I'm completely on board with the OSR playstyle so DCC and some OSR modules, in that regard, are much better. I definitely prefer the art, probably because pencil art in RPGs is what I grew up on. I much prefer the scaled down style of OSR modules as well. I don't want to have to read through many pages of backstory or many pages of read aloud text. Lastly I prefer DCC modules over anything Paizo or WOTC would produce because they are rooted in pulp fantasy literature, rather than being self referential of their own fiction from the 90s. So obviously sword and sorcery tales excite me and my players much more than Forgotten Realms or anything Paizo creates.

For reference, I believe Sailors on the Starless Sea and Conflict at the Court of Chaos to be some of the top tier DCC modules. Sailors makes the players feel absolutely badass at level 1. Same with Conflict.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A Dying Earth setting is being worked on by Goodman Games for DCC too

Edit: :argh:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I would probably start by reading A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming, then ask more specific questions about specific systems you are interested in.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sailors is absolutely the best. Put on Black Sabbath, turn the lights down a little and really get into that module and you will sell the system easily. The final battle on the ziggurat is just so much more than any other low level adventure I've seen.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

You could have them play a group of level ones each. I just usually have them pick one they like the best

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Nothing about MCC seems thought through. I like the parts that are there, and I could definitely construct a campaign with it as long as DCC was involved too, but DCC is really much more of a complete game.

MCC should have been a boxed set like Lankhmar, Purple Planet, etc.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It's similar but more focused on weird than pure grimdark.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Death metal owns, what OSR stuff is based on it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I’ve been leafing through the DCC core book recently and just wondered about some of the semi-fluff stuff relating to classes and alignments - like, the warrior entry implies neutral warriors are all barbarians with appropriate titles, etc. Is that mostly considered an example for players without strong notions of how they want to play their character? Is it generally acceptable for someone who wants a neutral warrior (for example) to be a mercenary instead, or whatever else they like? If i ever get to play this I will almost certainly be the GM so ultimately I know i can change whatever I want, but I am curious about how others have used those rules.

Some of the more thematic stuff I think I would leave in place - I really like the idea of chaotic wizards being a bunch of demon groupies, for example.

Its all just ideas. You can do whatever you want with your alignment, attitude, etc.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It's cool to have options for stuff :shobon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wereseal sounds broken as sh*t

alg
Mar 14, 2007

DCC #84 Peril on the Purple Planet is a mini hex crawl.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Also, Free RPG Day is Saturday, there are products for LotFP (dude magic of some kind), DCC (quick start rules + 2 adventures) and Tunnels and Trolls (Japan magazine with adventure and quick start rules)

I'll be running a funnel and a level 1 adventure for DCC Road Crew at my FLGS, it should be a blast

alg
Mar 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So since there's nowhere within 50 miles or so of me that is doing Free RPG Day, anyone here who does have access want to pick up the DCC stuff for me, I'll pay for shipping plus a little extra too

If I can grab one I'll send it to you for shipping

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Andrew and drrocks PM me, I got y'all DCC

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Cool, got both your addresses. Will send on Monday

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Labyrinth Lord all in one book up on Kickstarter. It's for a print on demand version, so I assume you pay rpgnow too.

Advanced Labyrinth Lord, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895361773/advanced-labyrinth-lord

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tenkar is now promoting Macris' new Kickstarter and deleting comments about his views

alg fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 18, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

extremely apolitical. "Information on that topic, and arguments on it's validity or lack thereof, is readily available in many places already. There's no reason it needs to be covered again here." thanks comment-poster, it's important that the neutrality of tenkar's tavern not be violated by mentioning that the promoted work is by the ceo of literally "milo inc"

Tenkar just made an insane manbaby rant podcast about it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sailors on the Starless Sea is really the best

alg
Mar 14, 2007

lemonslol posted:

I just played my first game of DCC. The level 0 funnel was hard for me to get into. I didn't like the idea of playing four characters at once. It made role-playing difficult.

Is that something I just get used to? When it was described to me I imagined you rolled four characters and introduced them to the party after another character expired.

Your characters are nobodies until they make 1st level. You're not really supposed to get attached to them until they level up and become someone.

I suppose you could roleplay them in the funnel but they are basically shitfarmers thrust into a bad situation, not heroes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

However you want, you just level up to 1 in the class you desire

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Adventurers Almanac, monster and dungeon alphabet contain a lot of stuff for DCC (and any OSR game really) as does Writing Adventure Modules That Don't Suck. But I use the wildernessrl rules from Rules Compendiumif I need them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Stop. Please.

Anyway, I just pledged to said Kickstarter. Sakkara is an excellent KotB clone, and this should be good too. Threw in for Advanced LL but I might just drop that and get S&W instead...I hate Descending armor class.

There was a post here about LotFP's new rules.

I'm conflicted on them. There's nothing wrong with changing poo poo up, LotFP is a pretty "old" system and Raggi's admitted he's bored of it a little bit. There's a lot of ODD in it, but I dunno how much I like some of the changes

Is Trump Lover real or ironic?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Macris allowed Vox Day to donate money for one of his ACKS supplements to put art of a demon eating 'SJWs' in and have a special class.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2017/03/dark-lord-character-class.html

Macris has a private twitter now, but it displayed his repugnant views about the fall of Western civilization for a long time. He was also one of the people who created Gamergate as a phenomenon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Portal Under the Stars is cool but Sailors on the Starless Sea is worth whatever the PDF costs. It's a much more exciting intro to DCC.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad someone discusses physical stuff because I've no use for PDFs and the art/design involved are half the reason I buy this stuff.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

So the group picked The One Who Watches From Below as their module. However, I am just noticing a big part of that is a actual cool gimmick with the face mask.

How can I translate this online? I don't think anyone wants to use webcams.

Have them print the mask when needed and turn on their webcam?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This brutal review of the new Zak s thing came up on my RSS

https://princeofnothingblogs.wordpress.com/2018/08/12/review-frostbitten-mutilated-lotfp-half-baked-dissassociated/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lol wow I didn't even see the footnotes

alg
Mar 14, 2007

moths posted:

Does anyone know if the old Ral Partha D&D battlesystem 15mm miniatures are available in some form anywhere?

Ebay has some at ripoff rates, but I feel like the sculpts are still being produced by Iron Wind or someone.

are they in here? this company has a lot of old Ral Partha stuff

Most of this Fighter chat sounds like it would be solved by Mighty Deeds.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yay: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-annual-and-other-forbidden-tomes/description

Tough to choose between the Shana and Sanjulian covers

alg
Mar 14, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

It looks like I'll get to run DCC again pretty soon!

Frankly, the amount of support that DCC gets is what I need right now. Free time is limited, so the more work that's done for me, the happier I am.

I already ran Starless Sea last time I ran the game. What other 0-level adventures would you run?

And do you go with the standard 3d6 characters, 3d6-but-then-improves characters, or go to one of the typical methods like 4d6s3 or even a weird method like in the 2015 program guide, 3d7, count 7=6?

Arwich Grinder is really good. I use standard 3d6.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Amethyst posted:

DCC seems really cool, just reading over the modules and rulebook. The character funnel is a fantastic idea.

How's it play? Is getting characters beyond level 3 even viable? Does it end up fun for the players?

DCC is the best old school game imo. It's my favorite fantasy RPG, too. I love how nothing is reliable. Everything has a potential cost. I've been running a hexcrawl in it for over a year, sprinkling in official modules and my own homebrew. My players really like it a lot.

Amethyst posted:

Sweet. I'll run it in the next week or two and see how it goes.

Any trip reports on the Starless Sea module?

I've run it a few times and played a few times, including with the artist Doug Kovacs. It's my favorite module ever. Possibly you may want to think of leveling folks up to 1 sometime before the final encounter, it can make it a little more doable.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

VacuumJockey posted:

I don't care about proof per se. If the guy's a rapist, his victims will hopefully seek legal redress. That's where proof will come in handy.

To be completely clear about this, I'm neither condemning nor defending Zak, or the practice of beating your SO and being an insufferable egotist. But gently caress if I'm joining a lynch mob on the strength of two links to social media - none of which contain the name of the accuser(s).

When the dude's arraigned - that's when I'll bring my pitchfork to the town meeting. Until then, let's talk elf games.

gently caress off

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Megazver posted:

Every time I see someone ask, people who've actually played it seem to think it's been released in a pretty bad state, not worth playing and if you want post-apoc DCC, you should use Umerica instead.

umerica and MCC are both great, but MCC should've been released as an expansion to DCC, because it basically assumes you know DCC. Also, some of the math on finding tech is rough.

The classes in MCC are more bare bones than DCC.

I like MCC, but I kind of mix all three games together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This looks like probably the best B/X clone, at a good price: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/necroticgnome/old-school-essentials