Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Art by twitter user @AwrySquare. Headers and update banners by fellow goon shadowmar.

The Bouncer is a cinematic beat-em-up released in Japan in 2000 and 2001 in the rest of the world. The game was announced alongside the unveiling of the PS2 and was widely hyped up, as it was Square's first game for the next generation of consoles. Developed mostly by DreamFactory, the geniuses behind Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring, along with a little help from Square itself, the game was meant to showcase in part the advances in graphics and storytelling capabilities of this hot new gem called the PlayStation 2. By seamlessly blending cutscene and gameplay, as well as branching choices, this game was sure to spawn an amazing new franchise for the next generation of gamers. It ultimately received mixed reviews and sales.

The story is about a bar called Fate on a street called Dog Street, as well as its bouncers: the heroic Sion, the giant-with-a-gentle-heart Volt and Kou, who is a misogynist. All three of them have mysterious pasts and the fists to destroy any in their way. When Sion's probably girlfriend Dominique gets kidnapped by ninja, it's up to our lovable gang of bouncers to find out the mystery behind Dominique and why megacorporation Mikado is so interested in her, and hell, maybe even find out a little something about themselves.

My name is FutureFriend and welcome to THE BOUNCER, an experimental beat-em-up full of baffling design decisions and an obnoxious focus on replayability. Joining me this time are ChorpSaway, TieTuesday and AndyAML, who all are bouncing enthusiasts. My co-commentators have only seen bits and pieces of the game, so hey no spoiling! As for me, I'm the only man insane enough to have unlocked all of the Bouncer's cutscenes. We'll be providing cut and uncut commentary (although, the cut version means you'll hear us for 30 seconds through the entire LP).

Hey, didn't Square make this game?
Yes and no. While members of Square like hotshot character designer and future karoshi victim Tetsuya Nomura did work on this game (this game's protagonist is infamously a Proto-Sora from Kingdom Hearts), and while the company published it, a large amount of the work was done by a company called DreamFactory, who became indentured servants of Square after putting Sephiroth in Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring.

Are you getting all the endings and showing us all the cutscenes?
I'll try to. As far as I know and as far as my research went, I have all the endings. However, nearly all of the resources I found have conflicting opinions on how to get all the secret endings. Also, I will be showing off every cutscene as much as I can, with some being ignored for better flow.

Hey, doesn't this game have the character's backstories in loading screens?
It sure does! They go away quickly and are unreadable, so I will be providing them at the end of this very same post!

Is Volt the devil?
Yes.

1. No Spoilers! Now the Bouncer is no Finnegan's Wake, but I would like this thread to be friendly to those wanna experience The Bouncer for the first time.

Sion

Volt

Kou

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

reserved

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Did Sora pick up being a bouncer to handle his bills until Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, been waiting for this'n for ages!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
I love that Dominique's present to Sion is just a smaller version of the symbol he's already wearing, I think she's trying to give him a hint

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God the fighting in this is like a dream. Which is to say, it's like when I'm dreaming and I have a fight in my dreams and everything is weighty and exaggerated and slow and it just does not convey the consequences of the action because my sleeping brain isn't really paying attention to realistic physics.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Woo! New FF thread!

The editing for this must have been a nightmare.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm fairly sure I got this game with my PS2. I'm even pretty sure I've played a few hours of it.

Sure as hell don't remember anything from it, though.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
This game is delightfully stupid in every way, it really is a joy to watch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, I'm glad to finally have the LP of this bizarre weird as hell game finally start.

Hostile V posted:

God the fighting in this is like a dream. Which is to say, it's like when I'm dreaming and I have a fight in my dreams and everything is weighty and exaggerated and slow and it just does not convey the consequences of the action because my sleeping brain isn't really paying attention to realistic physics.

Yeah, it actually looks really fun but the issue is that you ragdoll too and there're no health pickups anywhere on top of not getting nearly enough enemies to fight to really get into it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I remember being really loving excited for this game as a kid.

I cannot begin to remember why

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Because the marketing made it look kickin rad. And Volt. Just look at him!

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
I remember renting this when it first came out. I also remember that since I did not care what happened to any of the characters that I was able to skip the cutacenes and beat the game in like 12 minutes once I figured out sions juggle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Schubalts posted:

Because the marketing made it look kickin rad. And Volt. Just look at him!

Yeah, the marketing was...not totally clear on what the game was, just that it looked cool.

I spent most of my childhood convinced it was an RPG that I would never get to play for lack of a PS2.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Can I just say that is a SICK-rear end LOGO holy poo poo, I'm so looking up their tumblr.

I played this game way back in the day, actually got pretty far and I THINK unlocked most of the stuff in it too by just brute-forcing like a moron aged 12 would do so. I also really hoped Dog Street was a real brand cuz I so wanted to wear those clothes as said moron aged 12. ....actually I kinda still do wanna wear Dog Street clothes.

Very excited to see this LP, can't wait for more!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 29, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
One thing that makes leveling up your characters a bitch is that you don't recieve any experience if the two AI characters kill your opponents and they are just good enough to get them when they have just that last sliver of health left.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
I didn't play this game but KICKIN' RAD looks like the right answer to "What is The Bouncer?" My body is ready.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think Volt's "Do you know that black panther?" is the perfect summation of The Bouncer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well OK then, automatic YouTube recommendation.

Edit: Who made the parody of The Bouncer's barely-legible text? Because that's great. Looking forward to this.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 30, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I unironically love this game. In any fighting game now, when picking the big beefy guy, I mutter, "Volt Kruger."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Those ragdolls are amazing. Now I see why so many people remember this game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'll never not love every stupid thing about this game. :allears:

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009
gently caress parachutes, just wear enough armour and padding to smash into the ground.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Leal posted:

Did Sora pick up being a bouncer to handle his bills until Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out?

this is quite clearly another character designed by nomura's genius mind and i wont stand for these lies spread about him, TROLL

EasilyConfused posted:

Woo! New FF thread!

The editing for this must have been a nightmare.

it sure was! i think i spent about 3 days just making sure each and every fight intro and ending is there. now im incompetent ofc so look forward to the inevitable part where i forget.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Edit: Who made the parody of The Bouncer's barely-legible text? Because that's great. Looking forward to this.

the one in the banner itself was done by the artist AwrySquare, the other in the headers was made by friend of the show and goon shadowmar.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I unironically love this game. In any fighting game now, when picking the big beefy guy, I mutter, "Volt Kruger."

hell, ill say it, i think volt's design is actually legit good. makes me wonder why nomura doesn't make more punk-styled characters, cuz honestly it's where i feel nomura's overdesign tendencies actually kinda fit?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

mecharick posted:

gently caress parachutes, just wear enough armour and padding to smash into the ground.

If it works for space marines...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

hell, ill say it, i think volt's design is actually legit good. makes me wonder why nomura doesn't make more punk-styled characters, cuz honestly it's where i feel nomura's overdesign tendencies actually kinda fit?
I also legit love Volt's design as just this bizarre mixture of various rebellious symbols that honestly fits really well with Nomura's overdesigning style, he should do more punk dudes! Maybe come the FF7 remake he might get that chance.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

on this episode of the bouncer, we crash a train.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Now that it turns out Kou is an MRA, the fact that his tattoos appear to point to his dick makes a lot more sense.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought Tie was making a joke about that character's appearance when he called her "Echidna," but that's her actual name :magical:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Kou: "I shouldn't be the one to talk."

We're all thinking that, Kou.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I thought Tie was making a joke about that character's appearance when he called her "Echidna," but that's her actual name :magical:

Presumably, she's named after the monster from greek myth, Echidna the She-Viper, Mother of Monsters. If so, our girl here seems a little young for her title.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think this game's got plenty of bouncing. I mean, have you seen these ragdolls?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They asked about playable Echidna. Well, let me direct your attention to the versus mode.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I think this game's got plenty of bouncing. I mean, have you seen these ragdolls?
"You got some great bouncers there if only you didn't talk so much :smug: " - Kou69FamGuy of Reddit fame after seeing literally anything with two X chromosomes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

"You got some great bouncers there if only you didn't talk so much :smug: " - Kou69FamGuy of Reddit fame after seeing literally anything with two X chromosomes

Please don't doxx me

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I can't get over Kou's loving tribal forehead tattoos.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

A yes, the Fate bar on Dog Street. Not to be confused with the Dog bar on Fate Street, which is a very different establishment. Although, to be fair, most of the dudes in this game wouldn't look out of place there.

I hadn't heard of this game until a few weeks ago, but I am now very excited for the continued adventures of a bunch of absurdly unappealing character designs and Volt Kruger.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I can't get over Kou's loving tribal forehead tattoos.

:same: Those tats are the most terrible thing in this game so far, followed closely by Echidna's dumb-rear end hair

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The trio should have some kinda catch-phrase, I suggest something along the lines of 'Alright, let's Bounce!', because the enemy won't know if they're going to try to escape, or if they plan to kick them out of the fine, respectable establishment called Life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The trio should have some kinda catch-phrase, I suggest something along the lines of 'Alright, let's Bounce!', because the enemy won't know if they're going to try to escape, or if they plan to kick them out of the fine, respectable establishment called Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d7lyqHiCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

That might be the most 1996 thing I've ever seen.

• Locked thread