Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Send help! Stuck in Wi-Fi router factory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

ENGAGE WITH ZORP
this is good

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i work for a wisp and there's an entire neighborhood that can see Trump Deportation Unit 1488

a morbidly obese general contractor with a fresno area code cell phone number written on the side of his truck

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
Tell my Wifi Love Her

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Loky11 posted:

Tell my Wifi Love Her

She 802.11 ooooosss

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

someone near my old place actually used Bill Wi the Science Fi and every time i saw it i would go into a fugue state and wake up with blood on my hands

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

💩

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

borat voice my wifi

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
802.11?? only if she's 5'3"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

WAN LAN Shang-A-Lang
WAN LAN Thank You SAN

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"Free Public WiFi"

only xp kids will get this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the piss tape 🇮🇱

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I use this to help the #brands I know and love provide me and my guests with better geolocation data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words

forget.later.neon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's a neat idea but it bugs the poo poo out of me because Maidenhead grids have been a thing for like decades and would have been just fine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

it's a neat idea but it bugs the poo poo out of me because Maidenhead grids have been a thing for like decades and would have been just fine.

95% of men don't know how to use this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jimmy Carter posted:

ICE Surveillance Van

a modern take on a classic. 5, goon sire.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jonny 290 posted:

I think the idea of 3 words is better because 3 words are way easier to remember and transcribe when describing your position, or understanding where someone else is. The only disadvantage is without a lookup table, you have no way to deduce where someone is based on "partial" information. Of course it would be better if the algorithm used to derive the words was a bit more deterministic and tuples that started with the same word were close to others, but meh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah thats the thing. grid squares are based on math so they can be encoded and decoded straight from lat/long. i do agree that 3 words probably have a better retention level in memory but also you're gonna start confusing them once you get past a half dozen or so anyways

i know dm04 and dm13 is southern cal, i'm in dm79, cm87 and cm88 are pacnw area, and jo69 is centered around the city of karlstad, sweden

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it’s imperfect. it can help for automated systems and delivery over spaces with informal addressing, or where addresses may resolve to somewhere worthless (ex rural spaces, if you got acres of property a drone drop in a swamp sucks) but other existing systems address this as you say. it is most useful if there is good interoperability with other representations. I don’t really have a strong opinion one way or another, but trying to ease the communication of spatial data is a good thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah. if you have the infra to keep the lookup table circulated, it's totally fine. i however am a beardy ham radio mountain dwelling hoarding prepper paranoiac, and gosh it'd suck if the truth table for that ever got corrupted

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

jo69 is centered around the city of karlstad, sweden

lmao

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Back when I worked Campus IT in college, I used to set the SSIDs on the on campus to off campus point to point wifi links i installed to "LongLines_ x" in honor of the old school AT&T Long Lines microwave relay towers that look loving cool/imposing and carried 50mbit worth of simultaneous voice, telex data, network TV backhauls, and military comms from the late 40s to the early 1990s.

http://www.drgibson.com/towers/
http://www.long-lines.net/

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 13, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Did the kids call you Daddy LongLines

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Did the kids call you Daddy LongLines

Thanks for my new home network SSID :discourse:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MullardEL34 posted:

Thanks for my new home network SSID :discourse:

:hfive:

The only Long Lines I ever see are at the ladies rooms at the shopping mall! What are they doing in there??

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MullardEL34 posted:

Back when I worked Campus IT in college, I used to set the SSIDs on the on campus to off campus point to point wifi links i installed to "LongLines_ x" in honor of the old school AT&T Long Lines microwave relay towers that look loving cool/imposing and carried 50mbit worth of simultaneous voice, telex data, network TV backhauls, and military comms from the late 40s to the early 1990s.

Yea those things are cool. I always get nostalgic when I see those things out in rural texas/new mexico.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
new wifi name: mods??? please, the needful

Bruno_me
Dec 11, 2005

whoa

MullardEL34 posted:

most have been decommissioned, but a lot more of these than you'd think are still actively serving more remote areas, just with newer radios downstairs

this is from a tool I wrote to load and query the fcc microwave license database from google earth, looking at att/mtn bell/us west/qwest/centurylink's network in western colorado, where it's often cheaper to maintain and occasionally build relay sites than drag fiber through the mountains (also they may serve as a backup to fiber if a cut means waiting a day or two for the snowmobiles and helicopters to find and fix it)

compare to nebraska/iowa where it's easy to just put the fiber in the ground in a straight line:

(green = active license, red = cancelled/expired)

I went to work in a smaller central office a few months ago and got to spend part of my afternoon talking with a tech who'd worked on and around them for a couple decades, which was pretty awesome. fun facts: the waveguides (they use plumbing instead of cables) are about 1:2 rectangular, so you can easily and efficiently switch out/multiplex polarized 6/12GHz radios. those horns give you an effective spot size of like 30something degrees, so you have to use a fuckload of transmit power to hit those 40+ mile links. and to handle things like obstructions and elevation changes, they use 'passive repeaters' (big metal panels) to reflect the signals around:

in conclusion, the best ssid is WLA697

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yospos as gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bruno_me posted:

most have been decommissioned, but a lot more of these than you'd think are still actively serving more remote areas, just with newer radios downstairs

this is from a tool I wrote to load and query the fcc microwave license database from google earth, looking at att/mtn bell/us west/qwest/centurylink's network in western colorado, where it's often cheaper to maintain and occasionally build relay sites than drag fiber through the mountains (also they may serve as a backup to fiber if a cut means waiting a day or two for the snowmobiles and helicopters to find and fix it)

compare to nebraska/iowa where it's easy to just put the fiber in the ground in a straight line:

I went to work in a smaller central office a few months ago and got to spend part of my afternoon talking with a tech who'd worked on and around them for a couple decades, which was pretty awesome. fun facts: the waveguides (they use plumbing instead of cables) are about 1:2 rectangular, so you can easily and efficiently switch out/multiplex polarized 6/12GHz radios. those horns give you an effective spot size of like 30something degrees, so you have to use a fuckload of transmit power to hit those 40+ mile links. and to handle things like obstructions and elevation changes, they use 'passive repeaters' (big metal panels) to reflect the signals around:

neat, thanks!

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Bruno_me posted:

:piss: This is loving cool, you are loving cool, and Hogg Horns rule. I had no idea that some of the Long Lines relay network was still intact and functional. Most of the Long Lines towers here in NE Ohio that have been abandoned for years have very recently gained a second life as 4GLTE towers and relays for hospital and other commercial microwave networks. I went to Hiram College and have been watching the Shalersville Long Lines tower for years. It sat abandoned for years in the middle of a dairy farm and then 2016 came around, new antennas went up and the windows lit up and staid lit. along with new aircraft warning lights. My 4G signal instantly got better between Mantua and Ravenna.
Somewhat off topic but we really need a new YOSPOS radio thread.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 15, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
JOINWI~1.EXE

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

borat voice my wifi

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

any non-NEOans wanna take a guess as to how this is pronounced

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MullardEL34 posted:

Somewhat off topic but we really need a new YOSPOS radio thread.

someone make it, i guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
m-a-n-t-u-a

m-o-u-s-e

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

who is jahn golt

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
Memorable wifi names I've seen in the wild:
DOWNLOAD THIS VIRUS
Anal Enthusiasts
Pretty Fly for a Wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

ICE Surveillance Van

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1007484320922193920

• Locked thread