Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sniper4625 posted:

Many good points made. Where is Sal anyway.

Yeah good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

first of all how dare you

sup MMM, just wanted to say I am risking death to say you're awesome, Warrior Buddy :3:

oh right, reads

Beet seems to be doing his normal thing

Anidav might be laying it on a bit too thick

yeah let's go back to Anidav

##vote Anidav

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

that was not the point

lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

except bif is a constructured lurker and we can expect her to be lurking because as you point out that's the title of the loving game

so why would you want to use her as some sort of baseline for lurking? we can explain her behaviour. ...

because i want to vote bif

if your reasoning is to vote somebody else for lurking it's garb because bif is lurking more and even if there is mechanical reason for it the end result is the same. plus we don't actually know there's a mechanical reason for her lurking. but even if there, and imo especially if there is, it's a good idea to vote for her

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

oh ok there is a mechanical reason based on that latest bif post

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

if you think lurker callouts are bad you should vote genex for the most egregious example

htats not how i vote bud

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

if bif is actually trapped in some kind of mafia prison where everybody is makig fun of her and she can hardly post then its actually our moral duty to vote her out of the game and release her from this burden

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

who loving tunnels so hard day one

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

htats not how i vote bud

if the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

yeah i get that

to the exclusion of all others you've made that very clear, so much so that you're throwing anything out there to excuse others' behaviours..

like you had to make it clear that you were not casing me. maybe you didn't want people people to run off and start throwing votes my way prehaps?

because then they wouldn't be voting bif maybe?

and you called my posting insincere, baby?

baby baby baby

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

if your reasoning is to vote somebody else for lurking it's garb because bif is lurking more and even if there is mechanical reason for it the end result is the same. plus we don't actually know there's a mechanical reason for her lurking. but even if there, and imo especially if there is, it's a good idea to vote for her

it's a good thing to prod lurkers into engaging

[ ] yes [ ] no

also loving lol that 'we don't actually know if there's a mechanical reason for her lurking' says the person who has pointed out the name of the game probably six times and has used it as the basis for their vote all day.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hang on i have to find that ever growing ironicat gif to append to mmm's posts in future

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

hey bird what else do you like about a genex lynch?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

you're going to love the next post beet

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Beetphyxious posted:

hang on i have to find that ever growing ironicat gif to append to mmm's posts in future

got you covered

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lando131 posted:

Mafia Edit: Also I was hoping to get a rise out of Sal but now that can't happen unless he responds before reading the whole thread. :(

sniper4625 posted:

Many good points made. Where is Sal anyway.

Beetphyxious posted:

Yeah good point

Work and then had dinner with my friends. Lando I don't know you, so not sure why you are trying to get a rise out of me. In a game on D1 I have just as many posts as you do.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

what rule?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

it's a good thing to prod lurkers into engaging

[ ] yes [ ] no

i tear up the ballot and eat it while shouting about the justices of a rigged system

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

got you covered

mm can you put this in your sig and turn it on thanks

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

okay now im needlessly antagonizing to be a poo poo.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

birb? genex?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

yeah i get that

to the exclusion of all others you've made that very clear, so much so that you're throwing anything out there to excuse others' behaviours..

like you had to make it clear that you were not casing me. maybe you didn't want people people to run off and start throwing votes my way prehaps?

because then they wouldn't be voting bif maybe?

and you called my posting insincere, baby?

baby baby baby

hey hey hey hold on

theres a lot going on here

to begin with, i haven't excused the actions of others beyond dismissing lurker callouts on players who are engaging. in those cases, im hardly saying that soda and sniper because lets be real those are the people im talking about, arent scum, im just saying that theyre not lyurking, they're squarely in the middle of the board, quite literally,

i made it clear i wasnt casing you because somebody called my post at you a case and you were maybe responding to me as a case and in mafia games people tend to assume that anybody getting mad at somebody thinks the other person is scum

your posting was insincere and times have changed. You didn't even dispute it when i called it insincere you just said i was also insincere and like, i get it, ive been having a bit of fun posting about bif

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bifauxnen senpai noticed me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anidav posted:

Bifauxnen senpai noticed me

same

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

hey hey hey hold on

theres a lot going on here

to begin with, i haven't excused the actions of others beyond dismissing lurker callouts on players who are engaging.

call out on players who were engaging?

but they weren't. which is why i called them out.

quote:

in those cases, im hardly saying that soda and sniper because lets be real those are the people im talking about, arent scum, im just saying that theyre not lyurking, they're squarely in the middle of the board, quite literally,

yeah fair call, but why dismiss it out of hand? why not go yeah be good if they post more but what about sal or lando beet? they're posting less? and i'd go yeah good call mmmm and we'd high five and you'd stop banging that saucepan with bif's name on it.

quote:

i made it clear i wasnt casing you because somebody called my post at you a case and you were maybe responding to me as a case and in mafia games people tend to assume that anybody getting mad at somebody thinks the other person is scum

yeah okay. or maybe you really want bif lynched and you're worried you might have steered the ship off course

quote:

your posting was insincere and times have changed. You didn't even dispute it when i called it insincere you just said i was also insincere and like, i get it, ive been having a bit of fun posting about bif

i alway have fun posting

never not post

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

also i can't remember if i was being sincere or not with those posts because i just stand on my desk, squat and crap on the keyboard some times.

especially day 1

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So bif is basically a tree stump at this point

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

also i can't remember if i was being sincere or not with those posts because i just stand on my desk, squat and crap on the keyboard some times.

especially day 1

yeah the thing is that i actually dont give a poo poo if your posts are sincere when it comes to your alignment i think they just make reading the thread impossible

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but why tunnel tho bro

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

yeah okay. or maybe you really want bif lynched and you're worried you might have steered the ship off course

we can do any kind of gedankenexperiment we want i guess. what if your early impression of tithin was just a trial run to take over his idenity, that would be hosed up

Beetphyxious posted:

yeah fair call, but why dismiss it out of hand? why not go yeah be good if they post more but what about sal or lando beet? they're posting less? and i'd go yeah good call mmmm and we'd high five and you'd stop banging that saucepan with bif's name on it.

you can still do that but with my posts that actually matter, like the ones where i say we should vote bif

i think the idea about humming and hawing about whether other players are posting is just not that great. I mean im of two minds about it because why sign up to play a game and then not do it, and like definitely vote those guys out and eccogambit it unironically, but going like "oh yeah so and so hasnt posted enough" is extremely empty content that scum can just do easily and the culture of everybody being like "yeah great work on the lurker call out may you jerk me off next?" is just not a great one for scumhunting i mean like obviously it does have it's place but when its day one and like all of the serious posts are waxing about the nature of lurking and how badly they should be voted off the island its just degenerative discussion. wow amazing says the scum man, who can now easily saunter up to the waist high empty discussion and make himself at home, blending in seemlessly.

i realize now that its actually me contributing to this empty discussion and perpetuating it and ill stop now but i dont regret defending sniper or soda or attacking bif relentlessly

i guess ultimately i feel like engaging in low activity posters can be done in more constructive ways than "theyre not posting just post more ok guys"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

but why tunnel tho bro
because i was told this game would be about punishing bif

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

you're only hurting yourself

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I guess this is the philosophical difference between you and I. I believe lurkers, and I don't mean just posts less than me I mean no engagement, actively harm games.

So I just called out some posters who hadn't done much yet to try and get them to do more. And it seems to have worked.

You seem to be talking about something slightly different than what I actually did so let's just leave it there instead of going around in circles.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

See I miss bif

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I hate d1 call outs. Some people have to work and can't post 75 times in the first game day.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beetphyxious posted:

I believe lurkers [...] actively harm games.

No I agree with that, the difference is what we define as lurkers. Low engagement posters who can be engaged aren't lurkers imo and should be handled different;y but at this point we're just aggressively saying the same thing to each other because we're only people posting so

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

NO U R

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I hate d1 call outs. Some people have to work and can't post 75 times in the first game day.

right so between me and beet who do you thing is worse

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hun, not in front of the children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

i s2g if i put all that back in talking about low engagement posters and then a wild one just wanders by and does this

• Locked thread