Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was behind a first gen CTS-V today with... some kind of exhaust.

The exhaust sounds.... they made my pants feel funny. :awesome: Moreso when I realized it had the one real transmission (but wikipedia says the 1st gen only came with real trannies...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I do too, and I think I've even mailed car parts to other-snoop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

What's the other solution for mounting the pump? Every Japanese car I've worked on had a similar arrangement where the pump is inserted into the washer bottle near the bottom through a rubber grommet that seals it.

My GM is the same way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

The radio doesn't turn on for cold startups for whatever reason, but if you stop and start again, it'll kick on. The click sound for turn signals is on the same circuit, weirdly.

That's because GM runs all of the turn signal sounds, chimes, bells, boops, beeps, warning sounds, etc through the stereo on your 9-5. And most of their other cars of that era (except for Saturns, oddly). So if the stereo isn't working, you don't get your sounds. (no clue why it's not working on the first try though)

If you go with an aftermarket radio, you'll need a Scosche or Metra adapter to keep those sounds working. You can use the non-OnStar harness even if you have OnStar, if you don't care about OnStar functionality. Depending on the year model, it may be dead anyway - GM kept OnStar on analog cellular only for a long time, and even the later CDMA versions will be dead at the end of 2019 (thanks to VZW shutting down their 3G CDMA network). Only the LTE versions (201x and newer) will work after that point.

Be glad they didn't do what they did on the earlier Cobalts - the radio did quad duty as stereo, driver info center, onstar call module, and beep/boop/ding generator.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 20, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Normally they come from the drivers side front speaker.

The navigation system may be something totally different with its own, uh, clicker, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said similar words when buying a beat up GM.

Get AAA Plus (100 miles of towing per incident) before buying it. You'll probably need it to tow it home, and they won't do same-day-signup-tows anymore. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yes and no. Insurance generally only covers up to 5-10 miles. And they may count it as a claim.

It's $144/yr for AAA for both of us (myself and GF). Yeah, it's spendy, but she doesn't know a tire from a spark plug, and my car isn't exactly trustworthy. We both drive cars that are rapidly approaching the drinking age.

NTB ugga duggad the gently caress out of her car when she got tires, so if she gets a flat on the LR, she WILL need a tow. Flatbed. Period. They'll snap off every stud if they try to remove that tire. I couldn't get a single lug to budge on that wheel when she asked me to look at her brakes. ONE bolt on the RR put up a fight when doing said brake inspection, and I snapped the stud off easily (obviously replaced it). I'm gonna just order a complete bearing+hub assembly for the LR, along with 5 lug nuts, because I know it's not coming off without force. Her car is a desert car, so no rust anywhere (instead, blasted paint, and the dash will crumble at the smallest touch)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 6, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For GF that would likely be plenty. Her job is less than 3 miles away. I'll put it like this - she's the original owner of her 2005 Toyota (purchased new in late 2004), and it's still a few thousand short of hitting 90k. That's including a dozen road trips - mostly between Dallas and Austin, but we also took it to New Orleans and back (holy poo poo that was miserable without cruise control AND a stereo without an aux input.. one of these has since been fixed).

My car is usually the road trip car (mostly because it has this awesome thing called "cruise control", also because it has a decent stereo), but we usually just drive between Austin and Dallas. So there's a very narrow radius (relatively speaking) where we'd wind up not being able to get towed either back home or to my parents house.

It was $3 or $4/mo to add her to my AAA plan, and you can't pick and choose what levels of AAA go with each member on a family account.

edit for your edit: the main things I carry AAA for are flat tire changes (for GF), jump start (either of us), and towing (mostly me; her car is the literal Toyota Cockroach; Toyota Matrix w/5 speed manual with zero options except floormats, essentially a Corolla hatch with stiff suspension and AC)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 6, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

muckswirler posted:

LOL get another estimate because it's going to come back covered in house paint

In my own experience, Amica contracts with decent body shops.

Also in my experience, Amica sends out independent contractors to appraise the damage (this may be a regional thing). The one they sent when my Altima got smacked valued it very fairly (... probably better than he should have, but he said he didn't want to total it after I told him about all the work I'd done recently), and told me flat out "if I were you I'd just pocket the check, the door still opens and closes fine, still seals fine, the car is straight, and it's not worth much more than the damage." I took his advice and used half of the check to get a new transmission put in. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 13, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fiber for an emergency telematics system? I would think fiber would be too easily damaged in a bad wreck for it to phone home, wouldn't it?

Tremek posted:

I took mine out for the first time in a couple weeks the other day and while accelerating on an on-ramp somehow triggered the SOS telematics to phone some poor woman god knows where not once but twice. Kind of fascinating that the ‘08’s cellular radio can still negotiate a working call connection on demand but tilt wheel adjustment is absolutely VERBOTEN

My 2006 Saturn's OnStar was still working fine. :shrug: It runs on VZW CDMA though, so whenever that finally gets sunsetted, so does that generation OnStar (GM was still using VZW CDMA for OnStar up until 2014 or 2015 :rolleyes:). VZW was supposed to turn off CDMA at the end of 2019, it got pushed back to 2020 because there's so many telematics systems (and stuff like heart monitors, etc) that still run on it.

It didn't support any of the newer OnStar features, just the basic ones, but it did work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

Alarm systems are another huge component of that. Getting off of legacy anything is always rough when the footprint is large

Yup. My parents alarm is on cellular, and they got a forced upgrade to LTE about 2 years ago - it was relatively cheap (I think a $100 service call including equipment? the transceiver alone costs more than that), but their monitoring company basically said "do this or we stop monitoring your system". They gained the ability to remotely arm/disarm and see what doors/windows are open (well, zones anyway.. it's only a 4 zone system), since it's now two way communication (though the monitoring company wants an extra :10bux: a month for that :rolleyes:).

In their case, it's an external modem that ties into the ~20 year old alarm panel via the keypad bus (which is where a wireless receiver would also tie in, if they had any wireless door/window contacts), but even the current panels from that company don't have an OE method to add cellular that I know of. I guess DSC figured the 3rd party equipment suppliers handled it well enough that they don't need to bother? The old 2G external modem tied into the phone jack hookups instead of the keypad bus.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 10, 2020