Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Is your summer TV viewing a little dull? Do you need a show where you can turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle? Do you need something a bit trashy, with a little comedy, drama and excitement thrown in?

I give you... America's Got Talent.

From the people that brought you the Idol series and The X Factor, comes yet another competition show where a group of celebs and the American public make someone's dreams of stardom come true. The difference is, the act pool is a hell of a lot wider than your average singing competition. Sure, there are singers, some with emotional backstories that get played up ad nauseam over actual singing talent, but you tend to also get a wider age range than other shows. However, the best part are the other acts--you get dancers, stand-up comedians, magicians, stunt acts...a whole smorgasbord of stuff you wouldn't see in many other places on TV.

I know some of you have watched the show for several seasons by this point, and a couple might be checking in for the first time. Regardless, welcome to the discussion/reaction thread.

How this works:
The first episode is tonight at 8 PM EST, kicking off with the auditions. The show used to group them by city, but now it seems to be mixing up different cities in each episode. The auditions will likely run for about six weeks at the same time, until sometime in July. This is pretty similar to other competition shows--an act performs, and needs 3/4 yes votes from the judges to go on. If the judges hate an act, they get buzzed.

Your judges are:
-Howie Mandel, famous stand-up and noted germophobe
-Mel B, formerly of the Spice Girls and noted water-thrower
-Simon Cowell, reality show vet and noted monkey making machine
-Heidi Klum, Project Runway alum and noted ex of Seal

All of this is hosted by Tyra Banks, returning for her second season after replacing Nick Cannon (though he seems to not regret leaving).

There is one more thing: each judge and Tyra get one use of the "Golden Buzzer", which instantly sends the act to the live rounds starting in August. There's usually one such act an episode, and you'll know when its coming. Expect most of them to be used on singers who would have gotten through anyway, with one or two other different acts.

There will be a further round of culling after the auditions in the "Judge Cuts" weeks, but more about that when we get to it.

What's it all for?
The winner gets a pretty nice deal: $1 million and a headlining gig in Vegas somewhere, along with any record contracts or specials they end up doing afterwards. The runners-up usually can get something decent too. And the losers can get some sweet sweet viral fame.

Where can I watch?
NBC will have the episodes on every Tuesday, and usually uploads them to the NBC website for free the day after airing. The YouTube channel will also tend to have the acts shortly after the show is over, if you want to skip through the ads and padding.

Closing notes:
In summary, it's a big talent thing with a lot of talent show tropes. We had a few seasons previously where a singing act didn't win, but the past couple of seasons have swung towards "inspirational" or "young" singing acts taking the gold (Darci Lynn Farmer from last year, Grace VanderWaal from 2016). It's likely an act you like will get chopped at some point, so be prepared for some disappointment.

I was debating whether or not to start a thread this season after my disappointment with the last, but I saw Shin Lim was competing and decided to give this season a shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKUmY3E6fk

Any questions or comments, feel free to ask. Enjoy the show!

...and of course I forget the "witty" subtitle :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Excuse the double post, but I didn't want to clog the opener with thoughts.

So they had a cat acrobatics act, Shin Lim...and some guy who came out and said he could do Howie's job better, and failed?

TAKE THAT HATERS/REDDIT

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
The creepy girl act won a different countries 'got talent' show last year.

Had no idea winners could audition on other shows..

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The 4 nerds in tuxedos act was pretty great.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sorry I missed last week, personal business to attend to. Looks like we got the usual type of singer for the golden buzzer though.

New episode is on....starting with a kid act. Watch her sing death metal or something.

EDIT: Wait scratch that. God, more acts like that and my teeth will rot.

Glee singer and quick change act. Meh so far. Except maybe for the guy showing his Weedle.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 13, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

somekindofguy posted:

Sorry I missed last week, personal business to attend to. Looks like we got the usual type of singer for the golden buzzer though.

New episode is on....starting with a kid act. Watch her sing death metal or something.

EDIT: Wait scratch that. God, more acts like that and my teeth will rot.

Glee singer and quick change act. Meh so far. Except maybe for the guy showing his Weedle.

Israeli telekenetic made me laugh and then we had to follow it up with a josh groban cover

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this episode wasn't super inspiring. Add another teen golden buzzer to the pile.

Nice to see Bello Nock's daughter. Maybe she can make it farther than her father.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Another BGT act on AGT(japanese guy naked tricks).

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I think America must have run out of Talent a long time ago, since we see so many people who came from other countries to compete on this show. None of the judges are even from America originally.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This flexible dude is the creepiest thing I’ve ever seen

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why do they let people fly from the other side of the planet to audition? It's America's Got Talent, they should at least live here.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I just realized there are no Americans on the judging panel. Jesus Christ

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Why do they let people fly from the other side of the planet to audition? It's America's Got Talent, they should at least live here.

because of how interconnected the world is now with technology and this global community we have going on now, doing something like that would just look xenophobic at best. especially in regards to the US, a land made of immigrants. I've also watched Britain's Got Talent and they let in some Americans and people from other countries too :eek:

I find myself agreeing a little with the hosts though. At least one American host. Tyra doesn't count

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, way behind on this thread. The Judge Cuts have started for the next few weeks. These are used to determine the majority of the lineup for the live shows. Each week we get seven of the live show acts revealed, and with the five golden buzzers from the auditions, we get 33. The last three acts will presumably be wild card picks, leading to a total of 36 live acts. There are guest judges too, who get a golden buzzer of their own. Expect more singers.

Can't say I was wowed at the first Judge Cuts, and I'm not surprised another singing act gets through. All I ask is for one judge to let a non singer through and I'll be happy. Last year, Tyra was the only one to go with a non-singing act, and sadly this year is shaping up to be no different.

On the acts from allowed the world being on the show: maybe the producers are tapped in terms of good US talent to bring on? Or maybe if they would have more interesting stuff if they didn't relegate some of the potentially interesting stuff to montages. Who knows.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mantis42 posted:

we ran out of talent. the producers are constantly wooing acts from anywhere and everywhere to fill time i assume

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

somekindofguy posted:

I was debating whether or not to start a thread this season after my disappointment with the last, but I saw Shin Lim was competing and decided to give this season a shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKUmY3E6fk

Any questions or comments, feel free to ask. Enjoy the show!

...and of course I forget the "witty" subtitle :negative:

Holy poo poo at this guy! I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone better at care tricks. He was awesome tonight and I’ll watch until he loses to a child singer (probably Flau’jae, but as a Savannahian I won’t be that mad)

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 25, 2018

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

The Nastier Nate posted:

we ran out of talent. the producers are constantly wooing acts from anywhere and everywhere to fill time i assume

Does . . . does America not got talent? :ohdear:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Comedy magician should have gone through.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Howie stealing valor with his sergeant stripes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
A little annoyed that the stupid Alice in Wonderland high school dance troupe went through, but both of the boys with amazing pipes got cut.

Glad ghost-girl is still going through. Hell of a performer, that one.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Heads up folks, the pre-taped acts are over and now the live shows start tonight, in about 15 minutes. 12 acts perform, and seven will be advanced to the semifinals. I'm not sure which acts are on tonight, but expect a mix, and expect to lose one of your favorite acts to a sob story act.

Who knows, maybe someone will get an arrow shot into their neck. Live TV.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I would have chosen literally any other act to get the wild card than the spitting losers

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I just don't get escape acts. I understand there's some real danger involved, but I can't help but think most of it is theatrics, so I don't buy in.

Edited to add: holy poo poo, Shin Lim was amazing.

werdnam fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 15, 2018

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
This girl thinking she can step to James Brown, smh

And she'll still win it with a decent chance, because child+singer+quirky

Can we at least get one golden buzzer knocked out tonight

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mel B or Heidi after literally every act: "i don't geeeeet it". It's like watching DSP judge a show, goddamn.

I hate this stupid show so much, why do I watch every episode?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Mantis42 posted:

Mel B or Heidi after literally every act: "i don't geeeeet it". It's like watching DSP judge a show, goddamn.

I hate this stupid show so much, why do I watch every episode?

I don't know, because you love Howie's dad jokes about viral videos?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I specifically DVR the show to fast forward through Howie.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

somekindofguy posted:

This girl thinking she can step to James Brown, smh

And she'll still win it with a decent chance, because child+singer+quirky

Can we at least get one golden buzzer knocked out tonight

I've fell behind on this show a few weeks so this is the first time I've seen her but I'm calling her to win right now for all those reasons. The producers seem to think so too cause they put her on last.

Also you forgot British, that's a big sell

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
All I ask for is one singer or golden buzzer to get cut tonight. ONE.

BUT THE LYRICS ARE BY MY DEAD MOTHER WHO HAD CANCERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

EDIT: Welp, only Flaujae got the axe, and we have 4/7 acts that are singers in the semis. gently caress this.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 16, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Singing acts do not deserve to be on this show when the rest of the time NBC is overloaded with The Voice. :colbert:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Jesus rock is gonna make it to the finals because I don’t think we’ve ever had a Christian rock group on AGT and that’s a massive untapped market

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hey, round 2 of the quarterfinals is up. I see we're starting off strong.

SARCASM CANT WAIT TILL SHE GOES THROUGH REGARDLESS

And the show is going all A Talking Cat?!?! now...

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 22, 2018

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the double post, results are up along with the Dunkin Save. 30 minutes folks. Your choices are:

-Front Pictures (Screen group akin to light balance et al)
-Da Republik (Dance group)
-Makayla Phillips (Golden Buzzer singer)

What the gently caress @ Front Pictures and Da Republik not being top 5 acts? Who could have possibly beat them (besides the shoe-in children's choir)?

Still hoping for a chop of one singer at least. I know the dancing duo golden buzzer is out.

Noah Guthrie through first gently caress

And the drat choir too gently caress ME TWICE

ANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDD three singers through, Riana gone. Wow. Scream you america.

Makayla gets the save, Front pictures and Da Republik on the chopping block. Just one please, just one.

Da Republik is through, 3-1. Why do they keep bringing these wild cards back if they're just going to get cut.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 23, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Riana was my favorite act. Americans shouldn't be allowed vote.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Last round of the quarters is coming up.

Up tonight:
Aaron Crow, Danger Act
Brian King Joseph, Electric Violinist
Christina Wells, Singer
Daniel Emmet, Opera Singer
Hans, Singer/Dancer/Accordionist/Pianist
Joseph O'Brien, Singer/Pianist
Michael Ketterer, Singer
Rob Lake, Magician
The Future Kingz, Dance Group
UDI, Blacklight Group
Us the Duo, Band
Zurcaroh, Acrobatic Group

Several singers in this lineup, i wouldn't be surprised if most of the top 7 spots went to them to be honest...or maybe just one will go home.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Results are on. On the bubble are:

Aaron Crow
Daniel Emmett
Future Kingz

This does not bode well. Just one singer please.

Unfortunately Hans loses to the fetus duo Fetus the Duo. Yayyyyyyyyyyy :/
Brian King Joseph through as well. Bye bye incel singer.

Now do another golden buzzer.

Ketterer is through. As well as Christina. Mother fucker.

Count Zucaroh in as well

Emmett gets the save, 4/7 singers again.

Aaron Crow gets the 3-1 vote from the judges. Still hoping for a big chop of singers next week.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 30, 2018

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

somekindofguy posted:

Aaron Crow gets the 3-1 vote from the judges. Still hoping for a big chop of singers next week.

Legitimately shocked that both Crow got through and that there wasn't some contrived setup for a tie. I figured that's why Howie was asking how many votes they each had, to be sure before picking his.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Riana was my favorite act. Americans shouldn't be allowed vote.

she won another got talent show around a year ago its silly she can even compete

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just dropping in to say I really dislike Samuel J Comroe.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Tyra: "We'll be right back!" *gropes her boobs while making woo noises, confuses Heidi*

• Locked thread