Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I really love the loving cult angle though. For those that haven't read the Black Company books, the company comes across a town at one point where a loooooong time ago the company had been for a good while. They married, interbred, and so on. Well eventually the company hosed off, supposedly to hunt for treasure (lol mercs) and never came back. The modern day Black Company comes across this town and finds its people (the Nar) to have a pretty solid warrior class running the show, maintaining the old rear end religion of the early Black Company, and treating the Annals of the Black Company almost like a sacred text. Naturally, I'm simplifying things a lot, and poo poo gets weird, but that's what I mean by how much I like the cult angle. It reminds me of the Black Company real hard and that's a good thing because the Black Company owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Honky Dong Country posted:

Man I really love the loving cult angle though. For those that haven't read the Black Company books, the company comes across a town at one point where a loooooong time ago the company had been for a good while. They married, interbred, and so on. Well eventually the company hosed off, supposedly to hunt for treasure (lol mercs) and never came back. The modern day Black Company comes across this town and finds its people (the Nar) to have a pretty solid warrior class running the show, maintaining the old rear end religion of the early Black Company, and treating the Annals of the Black Company almost like a sacred text. Naturally, I'm simplifying things a lot, and poo poo gets weird, but that's what I mean by how much I like the cult angle. It reminds me of the Black Company real hard and that's a good thing because the Black Company owns.

you even have an excuse for cannibalism with the periodic sacrifices demanded by the cultists god in that description.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
More revelations from the North!

http://battlebrothersgame.com/

The Barbarians come in at least three units.

THRALLS

quote:

Thralls are the light and nimble infantry of the barbarian tribes. Clad only in furs, and sometimes with nothing but warpaint on their bare chests, armed either with weapons made from readily available materials like bone, or looted from the battlefield, they rely on ferociously overwhelming the enemy. They’re quick and agile, making ample use of the ‘Adrenaline’ skill. And having both the ‘Anticipation’ and ‘Dodge’ perks makes them harder to hit, at least until they’ve exhausted themselves after a couple of rounds.

Like all barbarian infantry, thralls have a very physical combat style of wrestling with the enemy, throwing their weight against them, and jostling to put their opponent out of balance. Their ‘Barbarian Wrath’ perk makes them fight even harder as they get hit, and the next time they land a hit of their own, they confer a status effect which for one turn knocks their target out of balance to lower their damage and defense until they have regained their footing.

REAVERS

quote:

Reavers are often armed with armor and weapons that have been passed down through generations and show signs of wear, but may also have claimed equipment in duels that settled disputes. Like thralls, they have an offensive and nimble combat style, but backed up with experience and skill. Like all barbarians, they don’t fear death the same as southern folk do, and so are not easily broken. They’re roughly comparable to brigand raiders, but may be more or less of a challenge, depending on your approach.

CHAMPIONS

quote:

These champions of the ancestors are the heavy infantry of the barbarians, and they wear weighty metal armor and heavy two-handed weapons – trophies from vanquished foes and gifts from invested elders. Unlike thralls and reavers, champions rely on their heavy armor for defense. They can shrug off status effects more easily, and excel even when fighting against several opponents at once.

MORE NAMED EQUIPMENT

quote:

With weapons in particular, there’s quite a difference in how useful individual stats are, and therefore how good a named weapon actually is. We want to keep different levels of quality between items, but we’re tweaking what stats those items can have over their common counterparts, and we’re also introducing several new potential stats.

INCLUDING UNDEAD AND BARBARIAN NAMED EQUIPMENT!

NORMAL BARBARIAN ARMS AND ARMOR IS LOOTABLE!

quote:

Their weapons are likewise often crafted from wood and bone, some of the few materials readily available to them, or have been handed down through generations and show signs of wear. Generally, all barbarian weapons have somewhat lower base damage values, but a higher percentage of damage that ignores armor than comparable weapons in the game....In combat, a barbarian warband doesn’t bother with formations, and they have no backline with polearms or dedicated archers. They are a horde of ferocious warriors in a constant shuffle of everyone trying to bring their weapons to bear against the enemy. They’ll shower you with throwing weapons, they run towards your line, and they make ample use of the ‘Adrenaline’ perk to overwhelm you before you can even strike back. They don’t fear death the same as other humans do, so they are not easy to break, and getting hurt will only further incite their barbarian wrath.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gently caress this barbarian poo poo I want the middle one

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

"And so they went again
from village to village
wandering in the footsteps
the mighty steps of the gods

Without war in their homeland
the faithful sought strife abroad
for what is a man without battle
but a pauper and a knave

They took service with many
and spilled the unclean blood
of faithless and weak men and beasts
taking wages from their veins

The gods smiled at their work
they rejoiced in the walking
of the sacred path
for war is the commerce of the gods"

-excerpt, pg. 211, "A Brief Summary of the History of the Sacred Company

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 19, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm excited for the DLC to drop and the next thread to kick off for sure. First come first serve seems like the way to go, or letting everyone put themselves into a google spreadsheet or something idk.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

"...and it is this anonymity from which the authority of the Khep'tan springs. He is the faceless embodiment of the gods' will and by His command are their virtues enforced among the Brotherhood. The wise Rhek-tar maintains the scriptures and historia that they may be used to guide the divine flame within Him along the righteous march of War Unending. It is folly for the clergy to think themselves leaders rather than advisors..."

"...should lead their Brotherhood each morning and night in the exultation of the gods and their earthly vessel, the Khep'tan. And they should lead their Brotherhood in prayer with a ceaseless chorus of fury during holy battle, that each warrior's zeal shall not be snuffed by despair or fear. Never shall the gods search in vain for the joyous cries of their faithful during the shedding of blo-"

"Should the Khep'tan fall in blessed combat it is the Rhek-tar's duty to take the omens to determine who shall take up the burden of His divinity. And the Rhek-tar shall sear away the oldlife face of the new vessel, that His lifeforce be forever the next link in the chain of Khep'tans all the way back to the first battle in the Before, After, and Always, where the gods remain forever locked shield to shield in conflict."

"The unbelievers are not bathed in the blood of brotherhood and remain ignorant of the gods' currency. Thus a Rhek-tar allows the Brotherhood to trade in coin and commodity. But the gods demand sacrifice both in battle and out. Thus the Brotherhood's wages are to be tithed, that the Rhek-tar can see to obtaining stock whose blood may be spilled on any day in which battle is not joined. The canny Rhek-tar exhorts the faithful to take and keep captive unbelievers who are not slain in battle, for their lives please the gods most. If this cannot be so, the lifeblood of animals may be offered. If animals be not available, one of the Brotherhood must open his veins. Blessed is the warrior that offers his own blood when the battlefield is barren and the enemy cannot be brought to war. As the gods bleed forever in their holy contest of arms, so must we mortals lest we prove unworthy of their creation."

-transcription, surviving burned fragments of the first "Holy Primer of the Rhek-tars, Shepherds of the Faithful"

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 21, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So we sacrificing someone or na

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kinda keeping ideas in my head pretty vague until we see just how this whole cult thing actually shakes out in the dlc. But I'm def wanting to turn the whole thing pretty bloody. The good news is most the members are obviously gonna be pretty new to the whole thing, so I wouldn't expect doom and gloom all the time. Prolly a lot of dudes awkwardly fitting in over time while a leader and a priest bark kooky religion at them periodically when they're not slipping off to get drunk and screw every local in sight.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
This looks like a fun thing to do,

I suppose my weapon preference would be a chair, for psychological reasons.
failing that the typical neeeeerd favourite, a Schiavona thats slightly heavier than myself.
Let me go back and read the 20 pages while I regret my fate.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I better not miss the signup, god dammit.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Odds are I'm gonna just do first come first serve each time a recruit comes in rather than a massive waiting list.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Then I wish disaster on your campaign

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Then I wish disaster on your campaign

I'd argue that it's a better system than was used in this thread, resulting in over fifty people on a list that never got in because merc companies in this game are only 20 strong max. Plus if you're smart and don't dive into battles out of your league you don't really have a lot of deaths, just one or two here and there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Chants from the North and New Terrors!

Music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igumq922d3o

Drummers!

quote:

As mentioned previously, barbarians have a very physical and fatiguing style of combat, and they don’t pace themselves well. They’re especially dangerous in the first few rounds, but if you can weather this opening onslaught, barbarians will then often find themselves exhausted.

The rhythmic beats of the drummers will have barbarians press on to glory despite this, reflected in the game by reducing the fatigue of any barbarian on the field by a small amount each round. A barbarian can have their fatigue reduced only a single time per round, no matter how many drummers on the field, but it may be enough to give them the strength to use an additional skill, which makes them all the more dangerous. It’s worth considering, therefore, to make drummers a priority target – even if they themselves are unlikely to inflict any damage on your men with their wooden drumsticks.

Beastmasters!

quote:

In battle, the beastmaster will always appear with one or more unholds. These mighty beasts can wear anything from a simple metal harness and chain, to be controlled more easily, to having metal plates nailed right onto their hide – something possible only due to the unhold’s uncanny ability to quickly heal any wound, even during battle. A beast armored like this can be impossible to bring down if you’re not equipped both for handling massive amounts of armor and health at the same time.

Every turn, a beastmaster cracks the whip to direct their beastly warmachines to do his bidding. However, a beastmaster can not do so if anyone is in their zone of control. And they very much can’t do so, if they’re dead. If an armored unhold doesn’t get directions from any beastmaster, they become confused, and every round there is a chance that they become feral, change to the beast faction, and attack player and barbarians alike in a mad rage of befuddlement.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
https://www.gog.com/game/battle_brothers Its a bit cheaper at the moment, so you should buy it if you are reading the thread.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My contract should end tonight so soon as this thing drops I'll get it rolling.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Approaching Endgame

quote:

Champions are particularly skilled and experienced individuals of any non-beast faction. They’re guaranteed to carry at least one named item and have significantly increased stats over their brethren. You’ll be able to easily recognize them by their special base and unique name. They are, in a way, minibosses. They challenge you to fight hard to claim what is theirs, and they shake things up, but prevailing against them will always reward you with the named item they carry – be it weapon, shield, armor or helmet.

So where do you meet champions? The most reliable way is to complete contracts with a difficulty rating of three skulls. Those have always been a high risk proposition for any mercenary company, but they now come with more of a reward for taking that chance: the possibility of getting named gear by facing enemy champions. Another way is to simply play into the late game. The further along your campaign, the more likely that you’ll find champions roaming the world outside of contracts or defending a location.

While champions may prove challenging to defeat, they are significantly easier to beat than some of the battles around legendary locations. This way, they can also fill the gap in challenge between defeating your first late game crisis and starting to take on legendary locations, like the Black Monolith, with your company.

Endgame enemy: The Ijirok!

SPOILERS BELOW

quote:

Aside from new contracts and events, the upcoming ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC will also introduce two new legendary locations linked in a single quest leading up to a legendary reward. Today we’ll look at one of the two bosses that you’ll have to face along the way – if you don’t like to be spoiled about any of that, you may want to skip this dev blog. All others, let’s go!

THE IJIROK

The Ijirok is a mythical creature of the north, folklore of the barbarian folk. It’s called the Beast of Winter, for it is said that it first carried the cold into this world on its back. Legend claims the creature to be a shapeshifter and deceiver, appearing in many forms. It abducts children solely to enjoy the pain of the parents. It leads men astray in the white wastes just to watch them go in circles and freeze to death. Some regard it a spirit, some a god, and others a force of nature, like the sun or wind, but with found divinity within the aspect of a cruel creature. Whatever its true nature, in the north they all can feel the presence of the Ijirok, and they count themselves fortunate that the horrors it brings are scant and passing.

When your mercenary company finally faces the Ijirok in battle, it will appear as a great horned beast with four legs and hooves. It’s a boss fight, and it will challenge you like fighting the Kraken or the Rachegeist does. Leading up to the battle, you’ll have the opportunity to learn more about the true nature of your opponent by reading events and visiting locations in the game.

The Ijirok charges you from afar to gore and trample anything in its path. Unlike the charge of other opponents in the game, the great horned beast charging you will inflict damage, but you can defend against it with melee defense like against any other melee attack. Even if your shields prove sturdy and your men are not impaled outright, however, the force of impact may still throw them back and stagger them.

Then, at the beginning of each turn, the Ijirok will shift into a different world, one where cold and ice reign supreme, only to emerge at a different place and charge you anew. While the great beast enters into and emerges from this other world, cold seeps into ours, turning the ground frozen and changing the battlefield permanently. Anyone near the Ijirok will get the new ‘Chilled’ status effect, which will freeze your men’s limbs stiff, and lowers their initiative and action points for one round.

The Ijirok is as elusive in combat as it is outside of it, but each round you’ll have the chance to wail on it before it charges you from a different angle. Like with fighting Necrosavants, your formation is key in defeating the beast of winter while the world around you slowly turns into a frozen hell.

Did the Battle Brothers devs already spill the beans about the upcoming second boss being the Rachegeist? Only time will tell!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was able to recover early test footage of the ijirok

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was able to recover early test footage of the ijirok

Lmao

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Release Date :black101: May 9th :black101:

http://battlebrothersgame.com/

quote:

What started out as a small DLC has become a sizable expansion again. We’re happy to announce that the ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC for Battle Brothers will be released on May 9th for the price of $8.99 or your local equivalent. You can already find and wishlist it on Steam right here and on GOG here.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

"After years of tracing sellsword contracts I finally came upon the source I was seeking. It turns out that all these "Brotherhoods" that have been operating for pay in my country originate from a large, faraway burg. I have paid several bribes to discover their origin which turns out to be over two years' travel from my homeland. Nevertheless, I must know the truth of these mysterious bands. I've hired a sea captain to take me across the straights to the wildlands from which these brotherhoods origi-"

"This is the first opportunity I've been given to write since I was captured a year and a half ago. It took that long for the indigenous peoples here to discover what I was writing. It appears that overnight I've become both a feared and respected individual. While I am still a captive, I have been provided writing materials. I suspect that these savages somehow respect the written word. I don't think they have deciphered what I've written in my travels but I do think they understand why I have written. So I continue my work in captivity. Several individuals that I suspect are either scholars, priests, or hetmen have visited me, and even left me copies of their own texts. I don't yet know what they intend for me. Kept in the despair of long captivity I've tried to occupy myself with translation of the texts they've given me. Progress is slow, but I suspect a common root for the langua-"

"After years of translation and learning their unique, savage dialect, I've finally put it all together. This is indeed the source of the mercenary cult Brotherhoods my homeland saw in its great war. More startling is that the written histories of this village match with the histories of the 69th and 420th Awful Companies that operated in my country nearly four centuries ago during the Green Wars. I have used what books I possess (now returned to me as trust grows) alongside their own written works to figure out their language and history. It seems that after the 69th was destroyed they raised a new company, the 420th. This didn't remain whole either. After a devastating defeat they took over a local village, the very one in which I am now held captive. They married, bred, and ruled for generations, during which time the old company histories came to be regarded as holy scriptu-"

-Remaining Fragments of the 'Istoria Dankra

[New Thread for Battle Brothers as soon as the DLC drops on Thursday!]

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In other words I'm gonna post a new thread when the DLC drops and we're gonna be a cult. It appears that the whole cult thing is built around Davkul but I'm gonna change that poo poo to just be about generally bloodthirsty gods worshipped within the context of the 69th and 420th Awful Company traditions.

Basically I'm shooting for the old company poo poo being perverted into a savage religion that believers worship via mercenary work.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If I miss registration my angry ghost will be haunting you in 3-20 years.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
gently caress yeah :black101:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This is such a good thread and I’m v excited for it. Your story telling is fantastic

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I hope I get a brother in this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:siren: DLC IS OUT, THREAD DEAD, ALL HAIL THE NEW THREAD :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889268

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 11, 2019