Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Day 5

The men and I confer for a moment and decide to sell our lumber. This small cash influx enabled me to buy some cheap but decent armor to better protect the men, We continue on to Helfenstein. As we march toward and into the town we notice an orc party shadowing us. I hope this doesn't result in a fight as we leave because frankly I'm certain we'd get brutally slaughtered. In any case we collect our paltry couple hundred crowns. Luckily there's a man here in Helfenstein seeking sellswords!

So I ask the fellow what he'd pay us to kill these luckless bastards.

These cheap bastards!

What do we do?

A. Accept the offer as-is
B. Push to get paid more overall
C. Ask for more pay in advance
D. Ask for more money when the job is done
E. Tell this prick to gently caress off and look elsewhere for work

[Alright I wanted blood tonight but it's late and I helped my brother move today so I'm tired af, gonna continue tomorrow.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
C
Payment up front in case we have orc attacks and need to just bail out of the whole situation

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Honky Dong Country posted:

Day 5

The men and I confer for a moment and decide to sell our lumber. This small cash influx enabled me to buy some cheap but decent armor to better protect the men, We continue on to Helfenstein. As we march toward and into the town we notice an orc party shadowing us. I hope this doesn't result in a fight as we leave because frankly I'm certain we'd get brutally slaughtered. In any case we collect our paltry couple hundred crowns. Luckily there's a man here in Helfenstein seeking sellswords!

So I ask the fellow what he'd pay us to kill these luckless bastards.

These cheap bastards!

What do we do?

A. Accept the offer as-is
B. Push to get paid more overall
C. Ask for more pay in advance
E. Tell this prick to gently caress off and look elsewhere for work

[Alright I wanted blood tonight but it's late and I helped my brother move today so I'm tired af, gonna continue tomorrow.]

i vote d

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
B because he's snowflake.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pay in advance, so maybe we can gear up a little more before fighting

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Look, it's murdering some bandits, and maybe there's some orcs over the next hill or something. We just pop a quick stab on those guys and hop back into town to collect our winnings. What could possibly go wrong?

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Rob from the man and give the money to the poor, then rob the poor and shout the money

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I vote D as well - he's just been robbed, so he'll need a little time to get the money needed to pay us back.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
can we do B then D if he needs more time to come up with the cash?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like this is an off brand black company game. and thats awesome

S'why I got it, yeah. Now that I know it exists.

Though to really fit that, it needs:

1) Wizards - but rear end in a top hat wizards who are honestly more trouble than they are worth, the fuckers, but you can't get rid of them because sometimes they come in handy.

2) A few Battle Sisters (who might or might not be impossibly ancient warlords who are planning to use the company to take over the world in the name of Orderly, Chaotic, or Just-Plain-Mass-Murderous evil).

And let's go for D. We ask for more upfront and he's liable to trim it off the back end.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I just wanna roll them dice and swing that axe, hell I'll do it for free

Just point me at something that needs axeing and I'll start with walkin and swingin

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I vote c. I'm really expecting someone will try to get away without paying us, after a jobs been completed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

And let's go for D. We ask for more upfront and he's liable to trim it off the back end.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Well if everybody wants the D who am I to argue? I'll continue on a bit later tonight, got a prior engagement to take care of.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sorry guys, my father had a heart problem so I've spent most of the last 24 hrs. at the hospital since my mother is out of state. I'm working on the next bit now.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Day 5, Cont'd

I tell him we expect more money once the job is done. He offers us 310 crowns, but no longer makes any mention of any payment up front. Overall we're getting paid more than the initial offer though, so I accept.

Outside of town, our boys finish cinching up their gear for the march out to the ruins where these brigands are hiding. It's already midday and some of the men are grumbling about marching out so late, but I've got a hunch and a plan. I get my own stuff settled and march off without waiting for the men, making it clear that their grumbling wasn't gonna persuade me to let them loaf about in town all night, screwing the locals and just generally getting the 69th in trouble.

We reach the ruins after dark and ease up closer but we can't make out precisely how many we're up against. My hunch earlier was they've got archers though, and probably more skilled than our two shooters. This is why I wanted to arrive after dark when they can't shoot so good. Granted, neither can our boys but right now we're far more heavy on spearmen than ranged men. In any case, since the darkness will mess with our boys too, I have Buccaneer leave his javelins behind and pack one of our spare bows so that he'll have more ammunition. He prefers to throw things at his enemies like a god damned savage but I've no doubt he'll be alright with a bow this time. In any case, once we're ready we break cover and run out to confront our enemies, quickly getting into formation.

It's brighter out here than I thought! I quickly take a look at the men, making sure the line is properly dressed. That's when I notice that one of our newest recruits is standing there with nothing but a comical sneer with which to fight the enemy. The drat fool must've gotten excited and forgot to get his gear on. I shower Dike in the foulest language I can conjure up from the barbaric depths of my dim brain and promise there'll be hell to pay if he doesn't run the hell away right now. He snaps his head around, and angry look on his face. To his credit he very quickly recovers his wits, looks down at his horribly unprepared self, and sets off at a hot trot with a look of embarrassment on his face. Even with the enemy right across from us I can hear the other men chuckling behind their shields. In any case, I assess our opposition now that we can see them properly and am immediately glad it's not as dark as I thought. Turns out they don't have a single archer and I was just being paranoid. As I snort to myself for being an idiot, I can hear Buccaneer and his diminutive comrade muttering a few jokes at my expense. As Dike makes the pebbles fly, Buccaneer takes up his bow and looses a carefully aimed shot at one of the thugs across from us, wounding him. Some of the brigands charge forward, leading with a couple of raiders who are obviously the most dangerous of the lot. The rest of the brigand scum follow suit while our men form a spearwall. The dwarf, who has been biding his time, takes a shot at the same thug Buccaneer wounded but misses.

Dike continues his flight to the west as one of the raiders has the gall to chuck a javelin at Prince of Space who takes the missile on his shield. Buccaneer looses a pair of shots at the thug he originally hit, missing both, while a raider closes the distance between himself and Blurry Grey Thing. Blurry tries to make him regret it but the raider simply takes the blow on his shield. A Bakers Cousin the Dwarf fires his crossbow at Buccaneer's buddy and nearly kills him, even tearing his ear. Blurry Grey Thing tries to skewer the raider in front of him but only manages to damage his armor while a thug moves up beside his target to support him. Blurry's getting a little nervous now dealing with a two-on-one. The brigands at the northern end of the line make a charge at Prince of Space who mercilessly dispatches one thug and tears up his buddy's ear as he steps over the corpse to engage. veiled boner fuel moves a little south to back up Blurry Grey Thing. Back to the north, Prince of Space finishes off the bastard with the ruined ear. Have Blue heads south to back up veiled and Blurry, while Grant DaNasty and Amateur Saboteur fan out to better receive the remaining brigands at the north.

The raider with the javelins throws two more at Prince of Space which our beautiful bastard killer again takes on his shield. Buccaneer, who I suspect is jealous of that raider's javelins, lines up a careful shot and hits the raider but it only damages his armor some. A Bakers Cousin takes a shot at the raider too, slightly wounding him and making him look a lot less confident than he was before. Blurry Grey Thing takes two blows from a thug on his shield and then almost gets murdered outright by the raider's flail. Blurry won't be so pretty anymore since that flail shattered his nose. Even with his ruined beak, he tries to stab the axeman twice to little effect. Have Blue does the same, grazing the miserable turd's eye socket and nearly killing him with the first shot, and finishing him off with his second. Grant DaNasty steps forward to the javeling thrower and stabs him but it doesn't do a lot of damage. Back down south, veiled boner fuel goes after the raider with the flail and nearly ruins his armor. Prince of Space moves forward and stabs the javelineer for light damage. Buccaneer moves north so that he can safely shoot through our men. A Bakers Cousin does the same in the south but is able to squeeze a shot in that wounds the raider with the flail.

Unfortunately, tragedy strikes in the form a clumsy brigand-wielded flail. With two mighty blows, the brigand up north with the flail savagely strikes down Prince of Space. Grant DaNasty attacks the flail brigand's mate, piercing the raider through the meat of his leg. Down south, Have Blue takes a step forward and lays into the surviving raider, grazing his neck. Blurry Grey Thing finishes the job, skewering the man that ruined his nose on the end of his spear. With the enemies dead on the south I order Blurry Grey Thing to get the hell out of there since he's only barely alive himself. Back up north, Amateur Saboteur sticks his spear in the guts of the javelineer, laying him low. Buccaneer draws back his bow and ends the last brigand, ending the fight. When we walk over to Prince of Space we find out he's...well...he's what you can still charitably call alive. I have a couple of the men do what they can for him while the rest pick over the battlefield and loot what we can.

Aftermath

Casualties
Blurry Grey Thing, light wounds, broken nose, recovery ~3-5 days
Prince of Space, light wounds, severe concussion, recovery ~3-5 days, brain damage - PERMANENT

Kills (6 total)
Have Blue: 1 brigand thug
Buccaneer: 1 brigand thug
Amateur Saboteur: 1 brigand raider (raiders are better equipped and higher level than thugs)
Blurry Grey Thing: 1 brigand raider
Prince of Space: 2 brigand thugs, he own thinkmeat

Loot
Nothing really notable here. Some food, tools, 127 crowns, a hatchet, bludgeon, a clutch of javelins, a shield, a couple lovely bucklers.

Levels
Amateur Saboteur has gained a level!
Buccaneer has gained a level!
A Bakers Cousin has gained a level!
Have Blue has gained a level!

Captain's Notes
Dike it's entirely my fault you didn't have gear because I just plain forgot but it was funnier to write it the way I did. Likewise I also think it's funny that I'm renaming you Dike the Unready anyway. Don't feel too bad, I'm also changing Prince of Space to Pwince of Spess and now consider it canon that he talks that way since he got his brain splattered. Tomorrow when I get up I'll do the next post which will prolly just cover leveling up those who need it, getting some gear maybe, and we'll decide what to do next after we get paid for this. Also Spessy Pwincey here is going on reserve for right now because his concussion comes with some HORRIFIC penalties, and giving his gear to Dike just in case. Once the concussion goes away you'll be good to go. The brain damage actually improves your resolve, but lowers initiative and exp gain due to being slow.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 6, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Any game that accurately models posters' brain damage is alright by me

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
And that's why you always wear a helmet, kids!

Yayyyyy! :downsgun:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Kill me Honky Dong Country you sad person.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Prince of Space posted:

It's cool man, you're basically gonna be the chillest retard mercenary we got in a scrap once your wounds heal. :downs:

Also you definitely require a helmet now!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gridlocked posted:

Kill me Honky Dong Country you sad person.

By Kill me I mean sign me up to be killed in your mercenary company

Don't actually like find me and kill me that would be bad

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Prince of Space posted:

new rule. you now have to post like you have brain damage.

shouldn't need much change

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I wanna gently caress up goblins until they inevitably gently caress me up in turn.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How many mans can you even get? There's a legion ahead of me already

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Haven’t played the game in a while but I think you can have 10 active bros and then 4 in reserve for a total of 14. Think that’s right.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RFC2324 posted:

new rule. you now have to post like you have brain damage.

shouldn't need much change

Dude, you gotta speak louder and more slowly to that guy. He also might need some help putting on his gear.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Brain damage from a flail. At least it wasn't self inflicted.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
*Stares at campfire, drooling, rocking slightly and giggling to himself*

*Re-hashes old joke from last week that's no longer relevant*

"Hey guys, got wood???" :buddy:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

keep us up to date on how your dad is

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

He's out of the hospital tomorrow. Ended up putting a stint into one of his arteries. His heart was still throwing extra beats for a bit but that stopped after a bit, so the docs didn't push to really open him up.

The lovely part is my aunt is currently fighting breast cancer, too. Which is why my mother is out of state and I was handling everything here at home.

In any case I feel like a real dick for neglecting my own thread so badly. I've still got everything of course, and I wanna continue real soon. Sorry guys.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

He's out of the hospital tomorrow. Ended up putting a stint into one of his arteries. His heart was still throwing extra beats for a bit but that stopped after a bit, so the docs didn't push to really open him up.

The lovely part is my aunt is currently fighting breast cancer, too. Which is why my mother is out of state and I was handling everything here at home.

In any case I feel like a real dick for neglecting my own thread so badly.

nah. life happens, you will come back to being a content creator soon enough

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Bought the game because of this thread. Thanks op.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Prince of Space posted:

*Stares at campfire, drooling, rocking slightly and giggling to himself*

*Re-hashes old joke from last week that's no longer relevant*

"Hey guys, got wood???" :buddy:

No. No I don't have any wood. As has been well established.

But it's alright, buddy. You get to make those jokes now. Brothers who get flailed together, stay together. At least, that's what I try to say. It comes out as a sort of bloody burble.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

King of Bees posted:

Bought the game because of this thread. Thanks op.

It really is a great game. It's basically the Black Company game. The only downside is trying to do a thread for it slows the pace down pretty hard but I imagine it would for most turn-based games with events and stuff requiring decisions.

If you're just playing it yourself though things can move pretty quick. Characters tend to build a story from events and what injuries and poo poo they pick up. Like Pwincey boy over here could very easily turn into a brain-damaged juggernaut of war because of his increased resolve. The kind of dude you put crazy heavy armor on and a two-hander and have him happily eat blows from terrifyingly powerful orcs and poo poo while the rest of the boys dogpile on the enemy.

I mean poo poo he's retarded now, for all we know he thinks him and the enemy are playing and there's nothing to be afraid of.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

In any case I feel like a real dick for neglecting my own thread so badly. I've still got everything of course, and I wanna continue real soon. Sorry guys.

It sucks rear end everyone is falling apart

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In fact now I can't help but imagine that Pwince of Spess gets really sad when his opponent dies because he thinks it means they don't like him anymore and no longer want to play...until he sees a new enemy and grins stupid-huge while he winds up another skull-shattering blow.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Just imagine a mushbrained hulk grinning at you friendly as hell while he bounds over with a gigantic weapon poised to kill over his head and screaming "friend."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

can i play?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I haven't updated the waiting list but I'm certain we're well over 50 dead men walking volunteers which is where I was gonna cut it off for a bit (mostly for my own sanity). When the time comes to add more to the list though your post is here and I'll be adding accordingly.

E: I should probably also point out that the odds are good that we get slaughtered wholesale before the waiting list gets fully utilized. If that happens I'm perfectly willing to start another game with a new company picking up on the list where the 69th left off if interest is still there. Right now we're so feeble a band of goblins could very likely murder us all. And there's faaaaar worse out there than goblins (which aren't your Dungeon Master's goblins and are in fact legitimate badasses for a respectable portion of the game). A pack of goblin wolfriders can definitely slaughter even a mid-game company of mercs if you're not careful or get stupid.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Better Goblin Wolfriders than Ancient Dead. gently caress those guys.