Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

rannum posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Imprison not only get use, but work against you

Extremely agree, I've never seen Imprison work before, let alone completely screw me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Redeye Flight posted:

Extremely agree, I've never seen Imprison work before, let alone completely screw me over.

Yeah. I also can't help thinking it works better in this game than it would in most, because it's both a game with limited options, and early enough in Pokemon's lifespan that there are a lot fewer moves available (there's a small enough pool of useful moves of each type that you can actually reason like "my pokemon are weak to ghost and ice, so I'll lock out the most dangerous and most common ghost and ice moves"). I like that they did this, even if it can make this battle really frustrating.

(I'd like this battle a lot more if Mt Battle itself in this game weren't such a boring slog, and with such a bad level curve that it basically forces grinding. And then it rewards going through without changing your team, meaning that if you're capable of beating the later areas, the vast majority of the earlier ones are going to be utterly trivial, but you're still forced to do them. Not that Colosseum's Mt Battle was a masterpiece of game design, far from it, but XD just made it worse in every possible way.)

The Voice Case quest is... ugh. I have nothing good to say about it at all. It's a bunch of tedious busywork and it's going to get worse.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It also worked pretty well since I forgot exactly how it worked. I thought once you lay it down, then it's just those two Pokemon and if you switch the effect is lost, like a lot of moves, really. Nope! It works so long as the Pokemon stays on the field, so if he had sent it out alongside Salamence, then I would've been in trouuuuuuuble.

We have :siren: ONE MORE SUBMISSION :siren: left and then after that I promise it'll be a fair while before I ask anything like this again!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Okay, how about Marowak?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 16, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Eyyyyyy, there we go.

Oh crap, now I have to actually go through the Colosseum!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Crosspeice posted:

It also worked pretty well since I forgot exactly how it worked. I thought once you lay it down, then it's just those two Pokemon and if you switch the effect is lost, like a lot of moves, really. Nope! It works so long as the Pokemon stays on the field, so if he had sent it out alongside Salamence, then I would've been in trouuuuuuuble.

From what I recall, it changes throughout the games, so you're not entirely wrong. It affects the user in Gen 3 and 4, and the opponent in Gen 5 onwards.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Can we request nicknames for the pokemon we picked, too?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

*Finishes recording Orre Colosseum*

Hm? Uh, sure, if you want to.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Well, we wouldn't want to prolong your suffering, would we?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 19: Fetching the Final

Alright, what seems to be the problem here, lass?

Seems you've got a case of the silent shrooms. Easy enough fix.

This phenomenon has been seen among places like GATEON PORT and PHENAC, too. I wonder what is going on? I hope all the afflicted POKEMON get well soon...

Oh boyyyyyy.

It must have been CHOBIN! The ninny... of all the things to do... CHOBIN, come here! CHOBI- uh... never mind. Child, you're involved now. You go detach the POKEMON TRANSLATOR units. What's that? You have no more VOICE CASES? I have none, either. Very well, take this instead.

Take this CRY ANALYZER and say something to the affected POKEMON. A quiz will appear. The answer is the secret password. As such, if the quiz is answered correctly, the TRANSLATOR will detach. Now, listen. You must go and detach all the POKEMON TRANSLATORS that are scattered throughout the ORRE REGION.

Alright, let's see if this baby works.

Oh, uh, is this how the Cry Analyzer is supposed to work?

Oh, right. It's a Lotad. They're always like this.

Cool, let's try Wobbuffet again.

Uh, okay, let's come back to this later.

Gateon Port

So the second half of the postgame-sidequest-that-is-one-of-three-main-things-to-do-in-the-postgame requires you to remember where all the overworld Pokemon are. Do you? I haven't shown them all since they're located in places I had no need to go to. At least Munchlax isn't afflicted.

Yup, just like me! You look pretty straitlaced, but you know how to find your fun! RAZELL! DAZELL! Oh, yeah! Tweet! I won't tell your parents, so don't rat me out to my grandpa, okay?

I am here for the postgame quest, honest, but let's be real, the main attraction is right there.

Please come back again one day. Let's Go, Miror B.!

Time to help some crabs.

...this might've been a 50/50 question if you hadn't put a text box of their name JUST before this.

Well that's one.

And that's two. Ain't this just... riveting.

Could it be that a man of the sea like me can never understand the feelings of my ODDISH, a POKEMON of the land? Oh, groan... after all I did, too! I even attached a machine that's supposed to let me understand what POKEMON say.

What's a Sun or Moon Stone? Never seen either of those in Orre.

Of course there's a Pokemon in this house that you totally remember and I've totally been to before.

Remember, this is the postgame. Keep that in mind.

Cool, onto Phenac.

Phenac City

We never did get a Shadow Castform, a shame.

I'm back to training with my CASTFORM every day! Thanks for that, too!

This question is actually a bit misleading, it's just referring to what it was before it evolved, not before its previous evolution.

I don't think I've ever talked to this guy.

Nor this guy. So, hey, at least this sidequest is making completely pointless NPCs have one specific point to them.

Aw yeah, how's this for SSLP content? Which cry was right? Play the game yourself!

Alright, do you remember where the last Pokemon is?

Good memory. Also this is the POSTGAME, stop giving me poo poo like this! I want to be really tested on my Pokemon trivia and have my poo poo hosed up fam. But yeah, sure, it's a loving Seedot.

Now what the hell do we do about Wobbuffet?

Speak to it with a POKEMON's voice. If it opens its heart to you, the TRANSLATOR should detach immediately. But that hardly seems possible. This is vexing...

Dad...

Wobb... wobbu?

My old dad's back to his chipper self again. Thanks to you, kid!

Wob! Wob! Would you look at WOBBUFFET's happy face? I feel overjoyed, too!

That was the entirety of the postgame quest, really? That's the way it is!

M-My goodness! There was a human being that could detach that blasted machine using that method... ...that machine is an abject failure that I had invented in my naive youth. Back then, I felt that there was nothing that I could not achieve. However... I was mistaken thinking that forcibly translating the cries of POKEMON will let us understand what lies in the hearts of POKEMON. It was arrogant of me. Worse, there was no need for it. There are people who can communicate with POKEMON on a heart-to-heart basis. But of all that is in the past. Something that is best forgotten! After all, to this day, I remain the authority on inventing!

You're welcome, sheesh. Least that's over with.

But this whole silly mess... it was that eccentric DR. KAMINKO's doing, wasn't it? Doesn't he realize what he's done? If I see that DR. KAMINKO, I'll be sure to give him a piece of my mind. Oh, and this is a small token of appreciation from me.

This is the entire reason of doing this very boring sidequest with NO POKEMON BATTLES. If you're still struggling with the Orre Colosseum, at least this makes grinding at Mt. Battle... well, still awful, but also slightly better. Seriously though, what a waste of loving time.

Still, the developers specifically made a lovely sidequest that required you to walk around loads to purify Shadow Pokemon. It's a shame they couldn't think of literally any other way of doing so. But now, every single Shadow Pokemon in the game is purified. Bar one, of course.

Lugia is definitely impossible to purify by conventional means, no matter what you do, its gauge will never go down. The only way is to have your Purify Chamber's tempo maxed out in all 9 sets. Only then can you purify Lugia.

Lugia, starting moveset: Psycho Boost, Featherdance, Earthquake, Hydro Pump

Congrats on purifying Lugia! Now you can use it to crush the last of the game. Uh, well, you can only use it in Mt. Battle and for various rematches across the game, since there weren't any new trainers to fight in the Lucky Egg sidequest. It would be great to use in the Orre Colosseum, but they don't allow the usual restricted Pokemon cause they're fucks, so you can't use it there.

In any case, the main reward is Psycho Boost, the signature move of Deoxys, who, like Mewtwo, doesn't appear in this game in any way unless you trade. It's an amazing attack that, while lowers SpAtk by two stages, isn't a huge deal for a mixed attacker like Lugia and gives it a very powerful move to use alongside the physical Aeroblast. Hydro Pump is also a nice bonus, but if you want to stick with physical attacks, Earthquake is the only other bonus you'll need, so it can have Recover instead. Sure you don't get Aeroblast until level 77, but this is a mon you can only really use in proper battles anyway, since you can't use it for the main draw of the postgame. It's a pretty great reward, since it's really bulky, pretty fast and also hits really hard with these high powered moves you've got!

Well, I try. But actually there's a bit of a glitch here. There's a special cutscene for purifying Shadow Lugia that's separate from purifying all the Shadow Pokemon. Since I thought I'd be cute and purify Lugia last, it doesn't get played, but hey, there's always a video for these things.

Hi, DAVID! I've heard that you succeeded in purifying that SHADOW LUGIA! Those CIPHER cretins said that it couldn't be purified, but you've proven them wrong!

DAVID, it's because you never shirked, and you gave it your all. Sincerely, thank you, dear!

Now we can get our glowing praise from purifying everything.

That's fantastic work! Now, POKEMON will be able to live in peace without fear. This is all your doing, DAVID! We all owe you a huge thanks!

The PURIFY CHAMBER represents the dreams of PROF. KRANE and myself... and of course your father's, too. Seeing you make use of the PURIFY CHAMBER so capably... I can't help but feel the tug of destiny.

That's all of them. Between both games, there's 134 total Shadow Pokemon and I've gone over all of them and then some. It's definitely a neat concept, but XD has a habit of taking something from Colosseum and going too far with it, making it worse. But that is basically everything we can do in the game, so thank you for such a wonderful LP, I can't wait to do my next game later this week of Etr-

ffffffffffffffuck. Okay, since Boogia won't be allowed in this colosseum, we'll use Roosevelt instead of it. We've got 6 rounds still to go, but we're basically done with everything else in the game. So strap in everyone, we've got a fair few battles ahead of us (I say that about ten times per LP, honestly).

Colosseum Round 2

So yeah, here's six Shadow Pokemon you guys wanted me to use and here they are, battle ready and on level. If you go higher than 60, the opponents match you, so I didn't see the need.

I've gone pretty overboard in what these Pokemon can do, I'm playing this like every other battle facility, where I take down the opponent before they even get a chance to move, so Bruce, Me?'s Choice Band Hi Jump Kick obliterates the Tyranitar.

Then Sandslash gets wrecked. Interesting that Quagsire went for Earthquake when Tyranitar was still around. Tyranitar had Protect, so I'm very happy it didn't got for it.

Bah, I'd prefer for Sand Veil to never activate.

Because Bruce, Me? got knocked out, this Earthquake did absolutely nothing.

Special Mega Drag finishes it up.

The opponents probably follow a theme if you squint hard enough, so you might be able to guess what it is. Sometimes the theme is "different types of Pokemon".

It's so good going from struggling in this place a lot, to just wrecking poo poo. Makes these 24 battles much easier to go through.

OHKO moves can gently caress off.

Of course every bird has Extrasensory, gives them actual coverage.

Ooh I wonder what that Ditto is gonna do.

And it's gone, cause Burnt Bird is a loving monster. Not my fault Metal Powder doesn't double SpDef as well.

Are you sure that's a good idea?

Didn't think so. Man, this is cathartic, why did I even bother training up my main team? Oh yeah, to show that you can get the Lucky Egg without importing over your Battle Frontier team and letting you ignore nearly all of the Orre Colosseum if you want to.

Where the hell did Snattle find the legendary golems? This is bullshit. Let's see if I can somehow get around Explosion.

Okay, Earthquake ain't too bad, but because of Endure, he could've very easily gone for Explosion instead.

Hmm, now who's attack is gonna be stronger?

Okay, well, that's just cheating. You can't use a Liechi Berry and then use a special attack, come on.

But Chillax is specifically fully SpDef invested, so I can live that and retaliate. Hey, what's Glalie using Endure for?

...I never loving learn.

But that was a perfectly good physical Gengar you just wasted.

In the near future, when I become the GOVERNOR of ORRE, I shall appoint you as my official secretary. Let that be a motivation for you to constantly better your skills.

Ah, here's the Return TM. We can still use this, since the later on we get it, the worst the postgame's TM's placement is.

Oh here we fuckin go again.

Bolt Bird is great since it has Drill Peck, and this time No Scythin will take down a load of foes!

Screw your Endure.

Ah, the rampage was stopped by Golem. Why the hell does it have Rock Blast?

Get Rock Slide next time, chump, the spread damage means I could maybe survive it.

Don't do too much damage now.

Okay, now it's time for Chillax.

Protect is just so Burnt Bird doesn't go down before Politoed does.

Ah come on.

I feel like we need a way to reverse Speed for this strat to really work. Eh, sounds dumb.

Okay this Magmar can seriously gently caress off.

I can't believe this mon is sticking around for this long.

But hey, Focus Bands only last for so long, RIGHT???

A Fighting type, eh?

That's neato.

We'll take down this Quagsire eventually, I don't think we have a single Grass moves across both teams.

How does the AI keep doing that?

Gorigan is all about the Intimidate, so any physical attackers are gonna have a rough time.

Doesn't really matter much if you don't lead with them though, but his Pokemon are pretty drat deadly.

Let's do something about that, since Burnt Bird's White Herb annoyingly reset the Intimidates, so it doesn't have great damage output right now.

In any case, I'm setting up for my final team member.

Ooh yeah, let's go to town!

Despite this being a breeze, there are still some tricky fights, so there's still plenty of strategy and maybe even a few resets. This is way more fun than if I tried to force my story team through here, unless I grinded some more.

You're some kind of special. You're worthy of sharing my camaraderie as a friend. I therefore award you the title "Hexagonal Bolt of Friendship Holder." The Hexagonal Bolt of Friendship is the perfect fit for my wrench, and is its truest friend. In a spirit of unchanging friendship.

Great, loving Skill Swap.

Now I don't fancy going through another two rounds of the Orre Colosseum with the other six mons you guys suggested this update, so instead, let's catch a Phanpy.

Sorry, I meant a Mt. Battle Chikorita. Can't finish an LP without hacking in some cool stuff, right? Seriously, gently caress getting all three Johto starters in this game.

Next is Bonsly! Since it's something you can use in the Battle Bingo, if you hack in a way to catch it, it's a perfectly usable Pokemon.

It doesn't have a level up movepool, but it has the right ability and its stats match up for the most part. Its Atk is a lot lower than base 80, probably so its card wouldn't be too easy, but yeah, it is basically a Bonsly. Of course, you can't evolve it into Sudowoodo, I wonder if they even knew its evolution method by this point.

The final Pokemon we'll be hacking in is Mew. Not any specific one, this is an 8th movie distribution, probably. Who cares.

Where did you find it? That MEW is the POKEMON I've been searching for all this time. Why? Because MEW is the only POKEMON that can learn every single move I teach. Yup, every one of the 100 I teach! If you'd like, I could teach your MEW some moves right now. Since it is your MEW I'll be teaching, I should pick moves that suit your style. I'll need your help just a little. I'll ask you five questions. I want you to pick an answer that suits you best for each question. That's all it takes! If you like the four moves I pick out based on your answers, I can teach them to your MEW for 5000 Poke Coupons. What do you think? Want to give it a try?

Due to the sheer amount of moves here and the various questions he can ask, Mew can get one heck of a moveset. Let's see what we get.

Team Snagem is baaaaaaaad to the bone and the Robo Kyogre worked, so, y'know.

How, uh, destructive. Seriously, there's 100 different moves to choose from this guy that only appears in Mt. Battle if you have a Mew in your party that you traded over from that Emerald event you did. Oh wait, that was never localized. Anyway, this guy can teach your Mew every TM, HM and Tutor move from Gen 3, minus the unique Starter tutor moves. But there's 6 exclusive moves here, Faint Attack, Fake Out, Hypnosis, Night Shade, Role Play and Zap Cannon, that Mew couldn't learn anywhere else. It's pretty cool for something you'd only encounter if you took your Mew to Mt. Battle for some reason.

...done! Your MEW has learned a complete set of four moves. There we go! We're all done here. If you need me for anything else, I'll be right here.

It's kinda cool, but not being able to just choose the move kinda sucks, since 5000 Poke Coupons ain't great to keep retrying. Next time, for the final update of XD, we'll finish off the Orre Colosseum and then have one last battle for a finale.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The sad thing is this is still the easiest way to get a Lucky Egg in gen 3
Chansey doesnt exist at all in RSE. It's not available in Colosseum. That means the only way to get it is a 5% held item in the safari zone.

also i...never knew Mew's move here was determined by a quiz, of all things. I thought you just chose it from a list. That's so weird. The moves you can get out of it are also pretty weird. Like Hypnosis is cool, I guess, but oh boy...Faint Attack. Zap Cannon. Role play!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The guy with the ditto can actually do some interesting things if you let him - sometimes he'll target his own mons with Transform instead of just yours. And he has a Shedinja, I know I've seen that battle end up with two Shedinja on the field at once before.

rannum posted:

The sad thing is this is still the easiest way to get a Lucky Egg in gen 3
Chansey doesnt exist at all in RSE. It's not available in Colosseum. That means the only way to get it is a 5% held item in the safari zone.

5% held item by Chansey, no less, which has a catch rate of 30. When you have nothing but safari balls.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I remember taking like 5 hours to find a Lucky Egg in HGSS and that was with Compound Eyes. And then it took another 3 to get a second after I traded the first Lucky Egg off for a Deoxys.

This was the only remotely sane way to get a Lucky Egg prior to Gen 5, when GF just went gently caress it and started giving you one as a freebie each game

And it was *worse* in Gen 2 than it was in Gen 3
No Safari Zone to deal with but you were hunting down a 1% chance to find Chansey and then a 2% chance for it to have the Egg.
Literally a 1/5000 chance per random encounter; you were actually relatively likely to run into a shiny (1/8192) before you got the Egg

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hacked 99 rare candies into my Emerald and got Lugia to learn Aeroblast then transferred it back. Its animation is pretty disappointing though :(

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 20: Orre Done

Colosseum Round 3

Welcome back to the final update of both XD and the LP of both the Orre games. We're using the other five Pokemon selected by you guys (and Roosevelt) to take on the next two rounds of the Orre Colosseum. Pretty much most of this update is going to be this place. Look, I'm surprised the postgame lasted this long.

Hiyah is max Speed and can do some serious damage, but is also oneshot by a Jolteon, so that's annoying.

Nothing stops the goddamn President.

Oh god please die to this (it didn't).

Okay, that's the two strongest Eeveelutions down, so whatever else this guy has is whatever.

Case in point, but we still needed to bring Brr Bird out.

How did we go from an Eevee team to THIS?

Please stop owning me in front of a live studio audience.

Oh hey, is that Skill Swap? Why, yes, yes it loving IS AHHHHHHHHH

Getting the AI to EQ itself is way too easy, apparently.

But since Boned can survive a few of those, she can chunk Slaking no problem, letting R-Wing pick up the rest.

Theme is... physical attackers, I guess?

Neat, this time Hiyah can actually get an attack off.

Rocks fall, my team dies. Wait that doesn't sound right.

These speedy Normal types crumble under my power.

Ah, our SIXTH battle against Chobin. Truly our greatest rival.

Annoying that our max SpAtk Hiyah wasn't able to knock out Ninjask in one hit. It's getting a bit scary.

Oh no now Mr. Mime has +2 Atk and +1 Spd. That does literally nothing for it, so I am very confused.

Okay, now that's more terrifying!

Even at +1, Mr. Mime was still slower than Hiyah (not surprising really). But cause of the Protect, Kangaskhan has +2 Spd.

Since it only targets Hiyah, Brr Bird can take it out no problem.

Sure, have Marowak and Ninjask target Brr Bird, that's not annoying.

Still, while TyrantTata dies to Boned's EQ, the sandstorm kills Ninjask. Uh, just as planned.

Phew, we're over halfway through this place.

DAVID! CHOBIN admits defeat! Even CHOBIN's ROBO GROUDON could not defeat DAVID! So CHOBIN wishes to confer on you a very special title. It is "Defeater of CHOBIN"! What do you think? CHOBIN thinks it is a very enriching title you would be proud to say. CHOBIN is certain that you will like it.

Ah, Sludge Bomb. Still a great move this late.

Oh hey it's Team Snagem. I wonder why.

Sick of this poo poo, both your Pokemon are fainting too.

Also a very short battle. This is a lot of fun, making this place actually tolerable.

Jedo is a previous Snagem goon we faced in this game, which is pretty neat. Where the gently caress did he get a Raikou?

Annoying, but Feraligatr is a physical attacker, so I won't die to that.

R-Wing will die to that though.

From there it's basically a clean sweep. Boo to you for not bringing Meganium.

Of course we'll fight Wakin again, who actually uses a story related Pokemon, unlike most of the returning trainers we fight in this place. Also strange that they didn't put Agrev in this round, but since they gave his model to Wakin, it's like he's here in spirit.

Which is more threatening of the two? Well I could go for either.

I guess I chose wrong?

Well Roosevelt is a monster, so maybe not.

Gonzap still loves that Hyper Beam, though his Skarmory no longer learns it, since it, uh, can't. Also, hey, Choice Band Slaking, I used one of those to terrifying effect. I'm scared.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the best idea, but I'm sure we'll be fine.

We've got some tanky boys here.

Oh man that was very nearly very scary!

Okay we should probably do something about that Blastoise.

We should've lost this battle twice over by now.

But hey, Brr Bird is a legendary after all.

It's a rotten shame, but you're in a way bigger league than TEAM SNAGEM. It's sad, but TEAM SNAGEM's not big enough for you. I'll do the next best thing. I'll make you an honorary member of TEAM SNAGEM. If you get sick of your life, come to us anytime. You're always welcome.

Hey, Rest can be useful for some strats. But we're running out of time for these.

Colosseum Round 4

Now for the last two rounds we'll be using a familiar team! Of course we couldn't end the LP without seeing these six bozos again! They've been tweaked to be effective in this postgame facility, but they're also mostly the same from when we last saw them.

Oh here we loving go again.

This drat bitch is too drat bulky for its own drat good!

Ah well, Umbreon can take a couple Ancientpowers.

Does every Dusclops have the same moveset???

Well doesn't matter anyway.

These guys probably don't appreciate this after a five year rest.

Some things never change, I guess.

Hey, that lets us survive that. I wasn't sure if Flygon would go down to one attack, but then it got crit and the Fighting move went to the wrong mon. Still did a crapton, Choice Band yo.

It comes close, but Carbuncle has survived worse than this. We can easily use this team here.

Ah, a sun team. Didn't our team make use of that weather?

Ah dammit Garchump is faster than Jumpluff.

Well this isn't going well.

But Magnolia can take those easily.

Now for Dhalsim to smack things really hard.

This is what we have Magnolia for. How I've missed it. Too bad about the Fire weakness.

This is too much for Dhalsim to handle, but we've only got one opponent left.

Alright, now we've got a shot.

As the AI will absolutely waste a turn doing that.

Oh goody, a rain team. But only one mon with Lightningrod, so it's not that bad.

Of course they led with it, but I also wasn't expecting it to be the weather setter.

Still, Magnolia doesn't care.

But I'm not an idiot, I know the weather will get set back immediately, so there's no way I'm going for Solarbeam. Wasn't expecting Umbreon to survive that, but it means Manectric goes down!

Alright, that's enough of that.

Ah, now we can start properly using the sun. This is why you go for Ice Beam, as fun as Hydro Pump in the sun might be.

Man this team was so much fun.

Alright, due to Shadow Pokemon squashing your team synergy last time, let's see how you match up. Uh, ignore that Quick Claw activation, but Starmie was obviously gonna attack Mawuh.

Let's slow that boy right the heck down, while Mawuh remains the Aerodactyl killer.

Man this guy brought the wrong team.

I really shouldn't have kept Octazooka, but I am an easy to please fool.

And that's how I beat Ardos with just two Pokemon.

In all of ORRE, I've never seen a POKEMON TRAINER of your caliber. You appear to be the biggest threat to CIPHER. To make sure my underlings watch you with caution, I give you the title "CIPHER's Biggest Enemy." From now on, CIPHER's battle crews will be constantly tracking you. Watch yourself.

Ah, Steel Wing. Why are these nice coverage moves so deep into the postgame?

And of course, we couldn't end our 3D Pokemon game without bringing over our Emerald team! Sure I didn't do that for my previous ones with Stadium, but uh, don't think about that! Let's take down the final round of the Orre Colosseum in style!

We'll start off with an ineffective Heracross. Sure, sounds good.

You really wanna do that again?

Cause it still won't work. Spread moves are great.

The one time I actually get to hit it with a Fire Blast...

Maybe I should've used this strat. R-Wing did have a Liechi Berry, since I couldn't think of anything interesting to give it, but it never went off.

Why is no one targetting Nobunaga? Well, it's their funeral.

No Belly Drum, no dice.

Okay this second battle is a LITTLE mean.

All that BP we got let Ranmaru have some coverage.

It's good when WarGreyMon takes down two legendaries in one attack.

OH YOU MOTHERFU

Oh never mind, our kaiju is wrecking faces.

Ah poo poo Articuno has coverage, so that didn't last forever.

Let's bait the Fire attack and let Calbrena take out another monster.

Wait, did we speed tie? If I knew I could be slower, then I would've just gone boom instead, that's a sha- oh, it's holding a Quick Claw. Cool.

But obviously Cold Gregg can take down a legend no problem, even if it is going for Hidden Power. Grass won't cut it here, friend.

There are too many Lightningrod strategies in this game.

How about we get rid of it then. Marowak are always scary regardless and this one is no different.

This Lapras is gonna be a butt, since we have plenty more Water types to worry about.

Case in point.

And again. Man Ranmaru is having a field day.

But hey, this team has had more practise than any against Water types. Too much practise. Too much water.

The final fight of the colosseum is gonna be a real toughie, but Calbrena will make things a lot easier.

But of course the Snorlax also has Shadow Ball.

Still, since these super effective attacks haven't been STAB, we can easily survive and bait attacks. That's the monster duo out of the way. Still, thank god Soul Dew is banned.

I don't know what I did to make the AI do this so much, but it is wonderful.

Ah what do I care, Nimbus is focused on the real monster.

Still, this Snorlax is a tough nut to crack. I think we should go out in style.

And that is farewell to the Orre Colosseum. It's a pretty lovely place that expects way too much from you. But when you actually bring over some proper mons, then yeah, it's fun. A variety of Pokemon and strategies is a nice way to end an LP. Still prefer the Under Colosseum and hell, even the Trainer Hill.

I'm satisfied that I was able to battle to my heart's content. I would like to confer on you the title "ELDES's Top Rival." With your skills, you shouldn't lose against even the best TRAINERS from around the world. I guarantee it. Let us meet again.

Our final reward is Dragon Claw. Long after your Dragon type needed it to keep up. Why is this TM always at the end of the game??? But that's all seven rounds, that was a hell of a time. I guess there's nothing else left to do. But since this is the last update and all, there's one little thing.

After all, there's one last person to battle in the postgame.

He acts like we're about to fight him for the first time, but we snagged his entire team, right?

Greevil Battle

Since you can rematch Greevil, he has a completely new team that replaces any Pokemon you snagged, meaning our team fresh from finishing the main game is at the perfect level to take him on! After all, we need to feature our team one last time in the final update after all.

The battle isn't hugely notable, even if you immediately fight Greevil like I did, he's a lot weaker than before since he doesn't have a bunch of Shadow Pokemon to blast you.

So hey, let's go over both games and compare them, it's the only thing left to do. Honestly, I prefer Colosseum to XD, what Colosseum does, it does really well, and XD improves on that, but for the most part it goes too far in a certain direction and ends up worse off. I had more fun playing Colosseum overall than I did XD, but since I obviously did a long LP of both games, I still had a blast playing them, so that's not saying XD is a bad game. As far as Pokemon games go, it's pretty solid.

But let's go over what Colosseum did right. It wasn't too hard for most of it, but it wasn't exactly a cakewalk either. Since it was a shorter game it meant you got the juicy difficulty in the lategame and it didn't overstay its welcome, for the most part. The endgame is pretty loving rough, but also in a good way. As you noticed, XD was super easy for most of it, since it had the weird level curve of Johto for whatever reason, so we were fighting trainers with level 20 Pokemon for way too long. And then the difficulty is kicked up a notch for the endgame, but not in a fun way.

Ah I've missed Revival Herbs. That's another thing Colosseum did right, the Shadow Pokemon were a reward at the end of the battle, as well as a final obstacle. It meant there was some real tricky moments of getting through a tough battle and then having to restart since the Shadow Pokemon recoiled itself. That's not fun, but barely catching a mon at the end is quite a rush. Not only that, but they had other moves to be a threat and contributed towards the overall strategy, which meant they were a proper puzzle piece in their own right.

I think that's the biggest difference between Colosseum and XD, Shadow Pokemon in this game just completely ignore synergy with the rest of the team since they have their own moves. Also, trainers tend to send them out first so once you catch them, you don't have to think about it, instead of not having a breather until the very end of the battle. This becomes a problem for the later battles, where there's nothing to mention about the Cipher Admins' various strategies, since their multiple Shadow Pokemon choked out anything interesting about their teams, which is a major shame.

Oh yeah, there are way too many Shadow Pokemon in this game. Like it's ridiculous how many you have to catch, especially in the last part of the game. Colosseum maybe has too few, since the midgame doesn't have anything interesting to really add, but man, catching Pokemon kinda loving sucks, especially while you're worrying about double battles and endless Shadow moves. I would praise the raised catch rate most Pokemon in this game had, but it also meant most of the Shadow Pokemon catches were really mindless, which didn't make for very interesting viewing. So yeah, XD just goes too far in a certain direction, usually to its detriment.

Despite all that, XD was a fun romp, it's always cool going through a sequel, though it's a shame we never saw Wes or Rui, nor did any previous game areas really change a huge amount. Still, I think these two games should be played as a whole, though Colosseum is definitely my preference. Still, XD is so much smoother than Colosseum and has so much more to it, the Battle CDs were great, Battle Bingo was alright and the new exclusive areas are pretty cool.

There were also a lot of trainers in Colosseum that had kind of strategy to them, which their Shadow Pokemon was sometimes a part of, and that made the fights slightly more interesting (though Justy can go to hell), while XD's trainers only had basic movesets and didn't really try anything interesting. That's what makes Colosseum more fun to play overall, since I like having a bit of a think when I'm fighting my hundredth trainer. Still, if XD had just copied what Colosseum did, I think the longer length wouldn't have worked out. I think it's also unique since Colosseum did all of this stuff first, so XD doesn't have its own identity, which is why I'm making these comparisons. Am I right? Do you agree? I'd love to hear it.

Anyway, how's the battle going? ...oh no!

Okay phew, we're done! So why exactly did I battle Greevil again?

The final cutscenes play out as usual, but that's not what we're here for.

If you've purified every Shadow Pokemon and beat Greevil, then there's this additional moment. We're hopefully done with Shadow Pokemon forever. It was a neat concept that could've had a bit more to it with the capture side of things, but overall, these two games combined are absolutely a fully fledged main Pokemon game. They should definitely be experienced and a real good case that other developers can also make excellent Pokemon games.

But that is everything in XD: Gale of Darkness. Man, both games combined and the Battle CD related stuff, there were FORTY ONE separate parts to this LP, easily more than Emerald. I hope you really enjoyed these games, cause I sure did, I am super happy I was able to not only get them running on my above average laptop, but also cover absolutely everything I wanted to and then some! Now, I know what you're thinking, of course I'll be LPing Platinum, gently caress me do I love that game. Buuuuuuut, after doing two long Gen 3 LPs... I'm a bit tired of Pokemon right now. Gen 3 is good, but I've done way too many battles in these games in too short a time to be considered healthy, so I think I need to LP another game, one that I've been preparing for for quite a while, uh, since I was supposed to do it after Conquest, but still felt the itch to poke mans.

Next time, I hope you'll join me for one hell of an odyssey.

No not that one

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 25, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well I'll be, that's another LP done. I hope you enjoyed these two great games, maybe individually they're not too amazing, but I think combined they're a real proper experience that no true Pokemon fan can be without. Since I did these two games in a pretty short space of time, again, you can tell I definitely loved these two. I'm so happy I was able to play them!

But of course, it must always end, thank you for reading, commenting, pool participating, it was a blast from start to finish. Now, onto my next LP, which you can go to RIGHT NOW, but if you're not too interested in something like that, then I shall see you sometime next year for Platinum!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thanks for the LP, Crosspeice! I actually never played these two, unlike the mainline Pokemon games, so this was the first time I was truly following blind. And it was a lot of fun to do so, and seeing how different they were and what they succeded and failed at. I think you showed that very well, as always.

I don't blame you for wanting a break from Pokemon after all this, if anything I'm surprised it took this long, and I'm definitely following the new LP as well. That one's even more of a blind run for me since I've never played a single game of that franchise, but I've followed...pretty much every LP, because they're super interesting but I'm also terrible at dungeon games (though I passed both Explorers of Sky and Super Mystery Dungeon - great games, both of them!)

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Thanks a lot for doing this LP Crosspeice, it was a lot of fun. You actually inspired me to re-play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon again, and it's also lot of fun. I'm currently playing Red Rescue Team, and I'm planning to move on to Explorers of Sky afterward.

I know there's technically post-game stuff afterwards, but I always consider snagging the Shadow Dragonite from Miror B. to be the real ending of Gale of Darkness. It's the last Shadow Pokemon, it's the last time you fight Miror B. (and hear his music), and it just generally feels like a nice send-off/capstone for the games and for the Orre region as a whole.

Crosspeice posted:

There were also a lot of trainers in Colosseum that had kind of strategy to them, which their Shadow Pokemon was sometimes a part of, and that made the fights slightly more interesting (though Justy can go to hell), while XD's trainers only had basic movesets and didn't really try anything interesting. That's what makes Colosseum more fun to play overall, since I like having a bit of a think when I'm fighting my hundredth trainer. Still, if XD had just copied what Colosseum did, I think the longer length wouldn't have worked out. I think it's also unique since Colosseum did all of this stuff first, so XD doesn't have its own identity, which is why I'm making these comparisons. Am I right? Do you agree? I'd love to hear it.
--
If you've purified every Shadow Pokemon and beat Greevil, then there's this additional moment. We're hopefully done with Shadow Pokemon forever. It was a neat concept that could've had a bit more to it with the capture side of things, but overall, these two games combined are absolutely a fully fledged main Pokemon game. They should definitely be experienced and a real good case that other developers can also make excellent Pokemon games.
The bolded part is honestly the best way I can describe Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. You've got an excellent Pokemon game split between the two of them, and it makes you wish you could combine the best parts of both of them into a single, definitive game. I like the battling and atmosphere of Colosseum more (you really can't top Wes's Hoverbike), but XD has a ton of Quality-of-Life improvements both visually and stuff like purification chamber, which makes purification much less of a pain in the rear end.

Also, I like how a they gave a random Cooltrainer a team full of Legendaries with zero explanation:

It looks scary until you realize that 4 out of the 6 are weak to rock moves. Sorry Ebson buddy, legendary doesn't automatically mean good.:v:

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 22, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A good LP and an interesting look at comparing the two games. I still prefer XD over all but man that level curve was a mistake. A third game that hit a better balance between Colosseum's ideas & XD's ideas would probably have been great.

Instead we got PBR.

Greevil's team is just...significantly more underwhelming than I thought it was. I suppose that's the point, so you can peck away at his team if you need to. Dealing with a Swellow & Altaria are much easier when trying to wrangle legendary Pokemon. But also it's pretty lame.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Lastly, I present an image of what could have been:

This is also the only way I'd be interested in watching the Pokemon anime again.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 22, 2018

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Congrats on another successful LP, Crosspeice! I'm glad I got to briefly see Garchump one last time before closing things out!

I feel like I've heard of Etrian Odyssey but I really have no clue anything about that game. I'll keep an eye on that LP, and I'll definitely be looking forward to when you reach Platinum!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for showing us these games! I'm yet another person who never played them. I'm not sure if I'd really have enjoyed them, honestly, but they do look pretty cool.

See y'all in the Etrian Odyssey thread! :)

this gives me more time to finish playing Platinum, yay

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wow what a beast this was, huh? This also satisfies me in another way, since the two games are kinda like a main title when combined, this means that there actually is a Doubles focused mainline Pokemon game :v:
Can't blame Gamefreak for never referencing Orre in any way in the other games, but it's criminal that Mirror B doesn't get more time in other games. I guess then he'd overshadow other great characters the games showed us over the years.

Also gonna read that new LP of yours, if ony to know EXACTLY when you're gonna start Platinum. See you there.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Echoing the thanks for the LP. I never really got into these games myself so it was good to see everything.

Kikas posted:

Also gonna read that new LP of yours, if ony to know EXACTLY when you're gonna start Platinum.

Solumin posted:

Thank you for showing us these games! I'm yet another person who never played them. I'm not sure if I'd really have enjoyed them, honestly, but they do look pretty cool.

See y'all in the Etrian Odyssey thread! :)

this gives me more time to finish playing Platinum, yay

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kikas posted:

Wow what a beast this was, huh? This also satisfies me in another way, since the two games are kinda like a main title when combined, this means that there actually is a Doubles focused mainline Pokemon game :v:
Can't blame Gamefreak for never referencing Orre in any way in the other games, but it's criminal that Mirror B doesn't get more time in other games. I guess then he'd overshadow other great characters the games showed us over the years.
He's just waiting for the day Pokemon gets a rhythm game. Make it happen, Gamefreak.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This was quite a ride, wasn't it? Thanks for doing it.

I think I agree with most of your final thoughts on the changes from Colosseum to XD, and that a lot of it was good ideas taken too far to the point they wrap around to being less interesting and less fun. Both games are still well worth playing, though. That said, a lot of these mechanics are still good, and I'd have loved to see what they could have done with a third game.

A modern game in this style would really be something, with all the new doubles strategies that could be shown off, and so many more kinds of bizarre interactions exist now that could make for good Battle CDs.

I know nothing about Etrian Odyssey but I guess I'll follow along. Have fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually much prefer the mechanics of XD's Shadow Pokemon as the ones in XD felt like a one note gimmick. I think I honestly like how Shadows don't mesh with reg teams to show how messed up they are, which is what makes villains like Greevil all the more harrowing to fight.

But yeah it seems like they fixed a lot of XD's issues but broke things that were done well.

Also I miss Wes and his cool-rear end bike. Michael would never blow up a hideout, steal his snag machine, ride away in a hoverbike and then blow it up again (without looking at the explosion, natch).

quote:

Nascour looks so tsundere

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for the great LP. Ditto on the "2 games combined = one mainline game" and other stuff.

SSNeoman posted:

I actually much prefer the mechanics of XD's Shadow Pokemon as the ones in XD felt like a one note gimmick. I think I honestly like how Shadows don't mesh with reg teams to show how messed up they are, which is what makes villains like Greevil all the more harrowing to fight.

But yeah it seems like they fixed a lot of XD's issues but broke things that were done well.

Also I miss Wes and his cool-rear end bike. Michael would never blow up a hideout, steal his snag machine, ride away in a hoverbike and then blow it up again (without looking at the explosion, natch).

Nascour looks so tsundere

I think you meant Colosseum for one or two of those XD's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

drat finally finished emerald and missed my arguably favorite games LP.

• Locked thread