Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because the corn lobby and HFCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

Agreed. East of the mountains is a completely different place.

I guess Idaho is less of a desert than eastern washington, but still much warmer in the summer than Seattle/western washington. Hell, when I was a kid it seemed like we were lucky if we got a couple days of 70+ degree weather, and now we have ~month long stretches of 90+ degrees in the summer. Granted I did spend most of my summers in SE Alaska when I was growing up, so I just had year round grey and rain.

Which mountains? Lewiston is west of the Rockies. Or are you talking about Chelane/Wenatchee? Because yeah, for a bit after Wenatchee/Snoqualmie it is a bit of a desert, but then all of that moisture gathers in N. Idaho before trying to cross the rockies, creating a strip of coniferous trees and as much rain as Seattle.

Same, though, for climate. As a kid we'd have a summer of highs in the 80's, but now it's hitting 90's and even a day or three of 100+. But then winters back down into the 0-5 degree F range again.

S. Idaho is a desert, though. And since 90% of the population of the state lives there, I see what you mean. Most of the north of the state is full of Foresters and Priuses, though, and the popcorn ceiling of my house would mold in the corners nearly year-round unless we sprayed bleach regularly. People would buy trailers or campers in Boise and then bring them up to Lewiston or Coeur d'Alene and they'd be rotted within two years from moss and mildew.

Hence bread = fridge. Preserved food lids would corrode within a year or two unless you wiped the outside of the lids with some lanolin or 3-in-1 before putting them in storage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bread goes in the freezer if you're going to be gone and don't want it to be moldy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Book of the month is Bosch Jetronic Fuel Injection: How to Understand, Service and Modify

An alternative: Rotary Piston Machines, by Felix Wankel, or Rotary Engine, by Kenichi Yamamoto, 1971 (there's also a 1981 edition)
http://foxed.ca/index.php?page=rx7manual#other

(There's also a Bosch L-Jetronic Injection manual on that page)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yes. And maybe I'll get an answer as to why American bread is more like cake than what the rest of the world understands as bread.

What exactly do you think bread should be? Cake is noticeably different, in flavor if not consistency. Usually cake is more moist. Usually.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Bread is cheap, do whatever. Also eat less because carbs are evil. Or buy Ezekiel bread and enjoy good complex carbs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You should have a bread drawer. Every other answer is wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

You should have a bread drawer. Every other answer is wrong.

You mean why is there silverware in the pancake drawer?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-PT-Turd-Rat-Rod-Pile-of-crap-Spares-or-Repair-Project/183245525905

The car is for the terrible thread, the description is for the awesome thread, so it goes here, in the June thread, because it's, er, May.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I did not hate this movie.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hilariously, one of my mates is called Fridge. And is celiac.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It should have been unmitigated poo poo, but it was actually really, really fun.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yes. And maybe I'll get an answer as to why American bread is more like cake than what the rest of the world understands as bread.

Because it's easier to make people want to eat sweet things and we subsidize the production of more corn syrup than anyone knows what to do with? I maintain that Wonder Bread is the best bread for PB&J's and diner style club sandwiches

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t know why we are talking about bread I don’t even eat bread but I buy Natures Own or whatever is on sale WITHOUT HFCS for the kids and it is fine for 2 weeks in the cabinet.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like how you can eat a hot dog on a roll with ketchup and get 3 different sources of sugar.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cage posted:

I like how you can eat a hot dog on a roll with ketchup and get 3 different sources of sugar.

:stare: What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Darchangel posted:

An alternative: Rotary Piston Machines, by Felix Wankel, or Rotary Engine, by Kenichi Yamamoto, 1971 (there's also a 1981 edition)
http://foxed.ca/index.php?page=rx7manual#other

(There's also a Bosch L-Jetronic Injection manual on that page)

What exactly do you think bread should be? Cake is noticeably different, in flavor if not consistency. Usually cake is more moist. Usually.

You're right we should be inclusive of all motor types with our book recommendations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

You're right we should be inclusive of all motor types with our book recommendations.

what if i identify as a rail cart powered by a single cylinder lister diesel?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Magnus Praeda posted:

Ketchup on hotdogs is fine if a bit like ordering only pepperoni pizza from the time you were 5 to 45. You should probably branch out a bit. At least its not Pineapple on pizza bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My kids like mayo on their hot dogs but their mother is a bit of a nut case who taught them that

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Is that a sandwich?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

All I see is the Nissan logo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mayo is delicious. When I'm poor (always), sometimes I'll make rice with some ground turkey, then after microwaving it the next day or whatever mix in a dab of mayo for some fatty salty deliciousness.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Seminal Flu posted:

Is that a sandwich?

No hinge on the bun, so yes.

everdave posted:

My kids like mayo on their hot dogs but their mother is a bit of a nut case who taught them that

Mayo can be okay if it's with other toppings like peppers and onions.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Mayo is delicious. When I'm poor (always), sometimes I'll make rice with some ground turkey, then after microwaving it the next day or whatever mix in a dab of mayo for some fatty salty deliciousness.

I can see that being pretty tasty. I love tuna or chicken salad sammiches.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I also appreciated the movie and I don’t even like Kevin hart. Watching him video game die was fun and there were one or two speaking scenes that actually made me laugh.
And Karen Gillan :swoon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Bread goes in the freezer if you're going to be gone and don't want it to be moldy.

Bread only goes in the freezer if you're in post war Britain and you are on food shortages.

Otherwise bread is perfectly fine to stay on the bench.

Also it's still May in America land, cut it out :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You Am I posted:

Also it's still May in America land, cut it out :colbert:

gently caress you. America makes its own rules now. Nothing bad will ever come of this. :911:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Today sucked. Funeral for a 39 year old suicide. Chapel was jam packed, people standing all along the sides and back. Hundreds of people. Funeral started about a half hour late because the family presumably needed time to pull themselves together.

Couldn't hear a pin drop in the chapel as the family walked in behind the casket. Widow with the young kids immediately behind it. And then the widow started sobbing and a kid said "daddy" and god drat, that was it.

:(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Today sucked. Funeral for a 39 year old suicide. Chapel was jam packed, people standing all along the sides and back. Hundreds of people. Funeral started about a half hour late because the family presumably needed time to pull themselves together.

Couldn't hear a pin drop in the chapel as the family walked in behind the casket. Widow with the young kids immediately behind it. And then the widow started sobbinh and a kid said "daddy" and god drat, that was it.

:(

That's hard core :( .

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got back from Boston Tuesday and I miss it already, love that city. The wife and I fantasized about getting a small condo downtown, selling our cars and just walking, biking, or taking the T to wherever we needed to go. Then the subject of New England winters came up and we were like lol gently caress that :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got back from Boston Tuesday and I miss it already, love that city. The wife and I fantasized about getting a small condo downtown, selling our cars and just walking, biking, or taking the T to wherever we needed to go. Then the subject of New England winters came up and we were like lol gently caress that :v:

Tell me why one of the few places I can fly cheap and I have so many points. I hate everything though. I like drinking.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Magnus Praeda posted:

Back in a rather dark spot in my life when I was a best a week away from being homeless and had just enough money to spare to buy a bag of rice, I used to flavor it with italian salad dressing I found in the fridge that was at/near expiration. I think I ate that for about 3 weeks straight.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Magnus Praeda posted:

Motherfucker I don't eat hot dogs. I just think it's funny there's hfcs in them.

E: unless I'm drunk, then give me all the hotdog sandwiches

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had a bad experience in college with mayonnaise

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

It's a condiment, not a lubricant.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In this case it was both a laxative and an emetic

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Tell me why one of the few places I can fly cheap and I have so many points. I hate everything though. I like drinking.

Just do it. Great city, tons of history everywhere with lots to do, all withing walking distance or a short T ride if you stay downtown. Amazing places to eat all over, the north end is legendary and has the best Italian food and baked goods I've ever eaten. I'd probably gain 100 pounds if I lived there so it's probably a good thing i don't.

It's better than NY city because it's not as big and overwhelming, and the people are friendlier too imo. Catch a game at Fenway or TD Garden, walk the Freedom Trail, climb the Bunker hill Monument, or check out the Aquarium, etc. Or just bum around the city and eat/drink as you go along that's my favorite thing to do :)

We go every year and my son loves it too, he cried when we left lol.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just do it. Great city, tons of history everywhere with lots to do, all withing walking distance or a short T ride if you stay downtown. Amazing places to eat all over, the north end is legendary and has the best Italian food and baked goods I've ever eaten. I'd probably gain 100 pounds if I lived there so it's probably a good thing i don't.

It's better than NY city because it's not as big and overwhelming, and the people are friendlier too imo. Catch a game at Fenway or TD Garden, walk the Freedom Trail, climb the Bunker hill Monument, or check out the Aquarium, etc. Or just bum around the city and eat/drink as you go along that's my favorite thing to do :)

We go every year and my son loves it too, he cried when we left lol.

Tell me a great place I have to eat at or drink at and I’m there this summer. Any areas to avoid? I just want to hang out no sights or scenes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

I had a fantastic experience in college with mayonaisse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Tell me a great place I have to eat at or drink at and I’m there this summer. Any areas to avoid? I just want to hang out no sights or scenes.

As long as you stay in the downtown area there's really no places to avoid AFAIK.

My favorite restaurant is the Sail Loft right by Boston Harbor on the water, best chowda and fresh cod or haddock right off the boat. And pretty much any restaurant in the north end is good and there's tons of them. Just google Boston North End and you'll get all the info you need. The Italian place we like best is called Antico Forno and it's on Salem St.

PM me if you're serious about going and I'll answer any questions you have :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 1, 2018

• Locked thread