Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thanos was wrong.

So we start off perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Bread is stored in the fridge.

Hot dogs are not a sandwich unless the bun rips in two.

The Buran would have been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

The gently caress?

If you have too much and it risks going stale, sure. But your only loaf?

If you grew up in the PNW where bread molds instantly, you'd do the same.

Future bread is stored in the freezer. Current bread in the fridge.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In Seattle did you have air conditioning? We didn't. We had a swamp cooler.

Everything molded. The drying capacity of a fridge was a godsend. And the bread is in a bag, so it's not the bread being dried out, it's just preventing excess external moisture.

Storing bread in the fridge does make it go stale faster, but not from drying. It causes this glycoconversion stuff with the starches that happens faster at low, but not freezing temperatures. However, while I can easily get 2 or 3 weeks from fridge bread, that's better than less than one week from counter or breadbox bread.

E: Starch Retrogradtion
http://www.chatelaine.com/food/kitchen-tips/store-bread-in-the-fridge/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Sure that's great and all but what's the book of the month?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

and thats cause seattle is the PNW and idaho aint

But he described exactly the same scenario I grew up with (except we had a swamp cooler because it was a tad drier for 2 months a year, though most houses didn't have one).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

Agreed. East of the mountains is a completely different place.

I guess Idaho is less of a desert than eastern washington, but still much warmer in the summer than Seattle/western washington. Hell, when I was a kid it seemed like we were lucky if we got a couple days of 70+ degree weather, and now we have ~month long stretches of 90+ degrees in the summer. Granted I did spend most of my summers in SE Alaska when I was growing up, so I just had year round grey and rain.

Which mountains? Lewiston is west of the Rockies. Or are you talking about Chelane/Wenatchee? Because yeah, for a bit after Wenatchee/Snoqualmie it is a bit of a desert, but then all of that moisture gathers in N. Idaho before trying to cross the rockies, creating a strip of coniferous trees and as much rain as Seattle.

Same, though, for climate. As a kid we'd have a summer of highs in the 80's, but now it's hitting 90's and even a day or three of 100+. But then winters back down into the 0-5 degree F range again.

S. Idaho is a desert, though. And since 90% of the population of the state lives there, I see what you mean. Most of the north of the state is full of Foresters and Priuses, though, and the popcorn ceiling of my house would mold in the corners nearly year-round unless we sprayed bleach regularly. People would buy trailers or campers in Boise and then bring them up to Lewiston or Coeur d'Alene and they'd be rotted within two years from moss and mildew.

Hence bread = fridge. Preserved food lids would corrode within a year or two unless you wiped the outside of the lids with some lanolin or 3-in-1 before putting them in storage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mayo is delicious. When I'm poor (always), sometimes I'll make rice with some ground turkey, then after microwaving it the next day or whatever mix in a dab of mayo for some fatty salty deliciousness.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
BUY ANOTHER AZ-1. DO IT.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After a 10-mile ruck (half of which was loose sand, I was convinced I died and multiple people collapsed or broke bones) someone gave me an apple.

It was the best goddamned thing I have ever eaten. I ate the core and the flower bud. Don't give a gently caress, it was delicious.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Buy more cars senpai~

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

STR posted:

Well yeah, without compression you don't have much drive. :v: I hear there's people to help with that, though.

Aww, I was hoping their name was more like Toys R Us, not the Cancer Center.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Assuming the insurance companies aren't complete morons, I'd guess the units upload mileage along with the rest of the data and any gaps of more than a couple miles would raise questions (and rates).

Nope, they do not upload mileage. They are a GPS and G-sensor that's powered by the OBDII port and nothing more.

They're still bullshit though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Happy 10 year anniversary

| ||
|| |_

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The older I get, the more I like 80s and 90s music

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I don't think you really get it.

Who are you aiming this towards and what is your point here?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

you guys sure are full of hate.

Doesn't seem to be. And I mean, like, in general. You pop in about once a month from your usual hangout of TFR in what seems like an effort to stir poo poo and nothing more. The sum total of your posts in AI in the past two months are: to make fun of Rhyno about something relating to meth (?), chiding someone for not being chill because "you're on SA, dude," and to post hotlinked images from a rule34 site.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

stop being so drat angry and toxic

Please, go right ahead. Lead by example. It's not gatekeeping, it's calling you out. Stop being a shitheel and participate, versus just trying to stir something up. This is a chill place. I don't care what content you'd be posting, if you actually posted content.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sorry, do you really think angryposting at me is going to communicate anything other than the original point i made?

Oh no, a logical trap! Clearly you are of a superior intellect, and deserve to be lovely to other people whenever you please! Continue on your quest to...do whatever it is you were trying to accomplish.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I'm not the AIer well known for meth...

I know that, and you know that, but apparently GHM didn't know that.

Posting isn't a game to be won, dude.

Show me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I woke up after a terrible night and threw up dinner. Feel better but still miss that sleep.

Also tossing all of my prepped meals because I think I hosed up cooking them somehow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god no fever but I'm never having hamburger helper again.

Class is at 12:45. It's a race against the clock to empty my body before then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Things I've noted:

I'm super cold (still no temp, but normally I'm always hot), so I raised the A/C last night from 74 to 77. At 77, the AC doesn't do it's "progressively extended sampling" of the air temp, where it gets longer and longer between checks, but instead runs every 30 minutes on the dot. Way to get that energy star rating, Amana :thumbsup:.

It's getting worse. Everything hurts and I'm sitting on a toilet with a footstool with a trash can on it in front of me.

Class is from 1245 to 1630. I NEED to make it through class, only allowed to miss something absurd like 90 minutes before admin review because of how the program is accelerated and how the state has nursing program hour requirements. T-minus 2 hours until I have to leave for class.

Come on body let's pull through.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, definitely driving to class even though it's only 0.4 of a mile.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Ironic that a nursing program forces you to attend while sick, I'm pretty sure at the actual job that's a "Fired, blacklisted, license revoked" sort of offense.

Or maybe I'm naive and hospitals are just as bad as retail jobs in that regard?

You would think, but you'd be wrong.

Whenever you go into a hospital, look for nurses with masks on. They only wear masks in common areas for two reasons:
1: it's the mask of shame for refusing a flu shot

2: they're sick.

The prevalence of both is way too high. Should be...zero for each. But :911:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I figured out a trick. If I sit really still, like really still, I don't feel like I'm dying right now. It drifts the needle back to the "oxygen is just a poison that takes 80 years to kill us" end of the scale, versus the "ah gently caress it's finally happening" side when I decide to move.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
2 hours left. I'm dying. Just sitting here holding my hand over my mouth trying not to heave.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
10 minutes left. I went to the restroom on the 3rd floor a couple of times. THe toilet was broken and I had a Dumb & Dumber moment but then opened the toilet and fixed it because gently caress you school.

So close.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I slept for five hours after class and now I have a temperature. gently caress you, hamburger helper.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My stomach didn't empty all night and this morning I threw up dinner undigested. That usually means there was something the body didn't like in it so it clamped down. Then, as a precaution, my body emptied everything, just to be sure. Food poisoning often comes with a low grade fever, especially if the irritant was held onto for awhile (like me going to bed with the bad juju sitting there.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oreos were a mistake. My world is fire and blood

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Time is a thick jelly what day is it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You ever fall asleep after school as a kid then wake up and the clock says "6:00" amd you think it's morning so you start to get ready for school and walk into the kitchen with dinner ready and it fucks up your week?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have the worst dehydration headache so I sip water or G2 but then I just spend the day on the toilet. I can hear the liquid move through me. It's audible, and angry.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hourly Update: I won't stop pooping.

I just want to sleeeeeeeeeeeeep

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My poor neighbors. I am glad I sprung for Kirkland vs Scott toilet paper, at least.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I read this as "poping" at first. :catholic:

And peace be with you.

QuarkMartial posted:

Hey, MGS hasn't posted in a while... is he still alive? Or is he now a withered, empty husk?

I don't know if I'd call what I am right now "alive." I do know that I'm "annoying to my neighbors with the constant flushing" and "bubbling internally and externally."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

FTFY. We changed it a while back. I don't know why - I didn't feel like it needed to be clarified or whatever. I still can't get used to the new words for a bunch of stuff. Mainly because I only go like twice a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63RcymipKuY

Oh poo poo. I grew up Catholic until 11 (then Mormon) and didn't know it changed.

Edit: beaten gently caress

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any circuits in the box tied together with a tiebar or nails? Any outlets with funny prong layouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even as a heathen nonbeliever, the last part of that statement is a bit broad and overreaching, even for AI.

• Locked thread