Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Bread is cheap, do whatever. Also eat less because carbs are evil. Or buy Ezekiel bread and enjoy good complex carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
We had something similar in our delivery vehicles when I worked in auto parts. I hated it not because I sped, but because in a few spots the speed limit wasn't mapped correctly in their system, so I got scolded because I went 65 in a 55 according to their system. In looking at the actual speed limit signs and such, it was clear I wasn't speeding.

I mean, I was paid an hourly poo poo wage, and time on delivery meant that I wasn't standing in the store doing nothing. Why would I want to shorten that process? :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That one scene in IW was stupid and pissed me off.
Stupid rear end Star Lord...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not stupid if you think about the character arc in play - a better explaination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvux3kpu1o

I will watch this later.

I do feel bad about being hard on him, but on the surface it's an idiotic move. Thor lost so much more and he was more productive and useful. Star Lord seems kind of like a manchild in comparison.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
E: never mind.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seminal Flu posted:

The clown show of IndyCar racing just hit a new high.

The pace car driver lost control coming into the straight... fishtailed with no correction... then binned it right into the wall.

The race couldn't start and they've had to bring out a backup pace car.

I've never seen anything so comical in 30+ years of watching racing.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyKODVVdpDY

How the hell did he manage to do that?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seminal Flu posted:

Red mist playing race car driver, from what I can see. No brake lights until after he hits the wall, I couldn't see if he even tried to countersteer. Looked like a seriously easy fishtail to get under control, hardly more than a wiggle.

Or that.

That's what it looked like to me too. Not like he hit oil or debris or something.

spog posted:

When Skynet decides to take over humanity, it won't be with nukes or killer robots, they will simply instruct all the world's cruise controls to aim for the kerbs.

Jokes on skynet, I don't use mine because I think there's a clockspring recall that if it's used it could deploy the airbag...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone going to Electric Forest Weekend 1?

I may have just bought a shitload of kandi supplies. Taking suggestions for word/phrase ideas, somethingawful related or not.

Just nonsensical things, like maybe random foods / spices - OREGANO or PROVOLOGNE

KakerMix posted:

HO HO HO BEING MARRIED IS LIKE A JOB AM I RITE FELLAS????

*gets in 'Identify Prius' truck, is not insecure at all and is, in fact, laughing*

This is the one thing I do not miss about working in an auto parts store: Idiots that come in complaining about their wives like I give a gently caress. I'm staring at them wondering why they even bothered to marry someone they don't like and they sound like grown rear end children. All the while my wife kicks rear end and dropped off some Bojangles for me, and it's growing colder while I have to listen to some asshat explain his Oceans 11 styled plot to get more lightswitch covers to keep his wife happy.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

IOwnCalculus posted:

I read this as "poping" at first. :catholic:

Hey, MGS hasn't posted in a while... is he still alive? Or is he now a withered, empty husk?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
A cousin of my wife's (so, I guess cousin-in-law?) just graduated high school and plans to go into welding. I am slightly jealous because they make bank. Then again, I don't want the eye troubles either.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Graduated from seminary with a master of arts. Became Catholic as an adult. Joined Knights of Columbus.

Am I doing this right? :v:

In all seriousness, I dont give two shits about what people believe, because ol Jesus is pretty clear: don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't kill people, feed people that are hungry. If they're naked, give em clothes. Treat women with respect. gently caress the powers that be if they aren't being just. Just don't be a hateful, abusive fuckwit.

I plan to raise my kids in the faith. If they choose another path when they're older, I'm fine with it as long as they are good people. Same goes for my brother and other atheists I am close to.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean, aside from current pope frank.....

Admittedly, I'm bitter as gently caress, so apologies. I wasn't raised Catholic, but a lot of friends were. 3 brothers, I was friends with the middle, all molested by priests. Once it came up (after their dad beat the gently caress out of them for lying against the church) from a few other kids, the priest was moved. Never punished.

One of the wife's friends also claims that she was raped when she was 13 by a priest, and I don't doubt her one bit. That guy was also mysteriously moved a few years later.

Yeah, that's a big loving problem that wasn't handled at all. Not handled poorly, just not handled. It needs to be addressed desperately.

I'd drink a beer with any of you jerks.

All hail the 7.3l powerstroke.
because powerstrokin it will never get old

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress, man. Anthony Bourdain dead from apparent suicide in France.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

God dammit. loving poo poo. This is awful news.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Ferremit posted:

And if your like me, and the black dog gets to you, then TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT IT. Dont let it fester, cos I can assure you that the muzzle of a shotgun tastes like poo poo. I'm lucky my old man walked in on me that day.

I agree.... But I think many, myself included, are afraid of talking about it (especially with people trained to deal with it, like a psychologist or therapist) out of fear of being involuntarily committed.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Darchangel posted:

If only more "Christians" actually paid attention to that. Jesus ate dinner with the sinners, he didn't shun them. It's in the book you supposedly believe.
Also, for those "God hates fags" assholes: in the same book you got that drivel out of, it also says you can't shave your beard, eat shellfish, or wear a shirt made of two different materials. Pretty loving sure you did all those, so now you're in the same boat as a man who has lain with another man. Read the book before you run your mouth.

They always go on about Sodom and Gamorrah, and I love to quote Scripture right back at them, though you gotta jump ahead to Ezekiel (16:49): “ ‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen."

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've trapped them pretty often at my parents' house as they have troubles with them nesting in the attic.
I've always used this style trap: http://www.havahart.com/large-1-door-animal-trap-2-pack and if it won't fit through your hole, just set it up beside it on the roof with some cat food or something in it. They go in and set it off, and now you get to make some decisions. Once they've nested somewhere, they'll keep coming back pretty much no matter what. You can speak to TWRA about what to do with it or where to take it, or you can just kill it however you see fit. If you release it somewhere, it needs to be significantly far away (think 60 miles far away)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

everdave posted:

That style is exactly what I just ordered. Oh believe me after they have been trapped they will not be on this earth for very long. Had one literally chew through my metal workshop doors I tried everything in my power to just make it stop and I couldn't and had to trap and kill it. This isn't some cute cuddly one this is enormous big as a dog ones I get.

Thoughts on setting off a left over flea fogger up there through the opening and then sealing the vent like an hour later?

I have a camera on the hand trap out by the workshop loaded with oreos so I imagine I will be killing at least one of them tonight.

The thing is... if you can't get into the attic to remove the body, if you kill them up there, they will stink. It is nearly impossible to get rid of that smell; my parents had one die in an inaccessible part of the attic when we first moved in in the year 2000. It still faintly smells in the back of the house during the summer after getting someone to remove the remains, clean the area, and using activated carbon...everywhere.

They're cute and cuddly and I wouldn't needlessly harm one. On the other hand, they're invading and they're not going extinct any time soon, so... gently caress em.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hmmm. Are ATF suppressor stamps available in TN? :thunk:

Disclaimer: please do not open fire on your crawlspace with a AR (unless you film it for us)

Yup.

Seminal Flu posted:

Only until you see one up close. They're vicious and violent. That said, they don't hold up to a .22 very well.

Agreed.

InitialDave posted:

So are grey squirrels, and you're meant to take them out if you catch one here.

Vermin can be cute too.

Also agreed.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
:munch:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Are you looking for a way to kill said big rear end raccoon? I mean, it's not the most humane way (read: not at all, I wouldn't do it), but tossing the trap into a garbage bin full of water will do the trick.

I think I'll change my oil sometime in the next day or two. It's running around 12k miles on (mostly) the same high mileage conventional oil. Mostly, as in, I've added a couple of quarts as it loses some here and there.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Not really. Imgur works the easiest. If you're phone posting, upload with the imgur app, copy the url from the "upload complete" notification, go to the awful app, new post, hit the img tag button and it auto inserts the url from your clipboard. Add a l.jpg to the end and you're solid.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
How hard is it to replace the little valve inside a tire stem? It's just a matter of using the tool to unscrew the old one and screw in the new one, right? Got one that might be a little finicky and need replacing soon.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Rocket, you rear end in a top hat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Kids animation: my niece and my students like Lucas The Spider on YouTube.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

everdave posted:

Probably very good advice. I am in no shape to give any. The end times have come my lawyer dropped the hammer and the money ran out and THE RAGE HAS BEGUN from my ex. Wish me luck!

Godspeed, and I hope that in her anger she doesn't use the kids as pawns.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

Search your feelings...

My feelings tell me he's in TN like me and the father often gets the shaft. Sounds like he's got a good lawyer, though. Just gotta listen to that.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Door Frame posted:

Exactly!

Also, I got a Kia Soul+ as a rental and I kind of love that car. It's roughly the size of my xA, has 175hp and probably the best feeling automanual transmission I've ever used

I really liked the one my wife had, it had the bigger of the two engines. Great on gas, too.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
As an educator and future principal....

...my doctor has advised me to not read the previous posts out of fear my blood pressure might spike and my head explode :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

iwentdoodie posted:

Or they just loving love guns and don't vote based on any other policy.

In the South, it's basically this. Or racism veiled as this. Or needing guns to protect themselves from blacks.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

drat, man. drat. That is a delicious looking steak.

I get to go to a fancy pants steakhouse next month - Jimmy Kelly's. Never been, and the fanciest I've ever gone to has been Texas de Brazil (not a steakhouse, but you know...).

Getting ready to smoke some beans for tomorrow and I dont think my dutch oven is big enough for two pounds of beans + sauce. We'll see, though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
RE: politics chat: I don't really care what happens with it. I don't agree with people on here, some people post some really loving stupid opinions and when that happens, rather than argue, I just go look at something else. It's pretty easy to do.

I'll keep my eyes open for a decision so I can keep following the rules and all, though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can do. I saw a bunch of posts and skimmed them, but that's simple enough.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Whoever said that every adult has a good case of impostor syndrome... you were right. I never really felt that way until just now, and it hit me all at once. I just submitted my doctoral research proposal and will have an Ed.S next month (Ed.D to follow after I complete my dissertation) and holy poo poo who let me do this. I am totally out of my league and who the hell is that on the recording (had to record a presentation) and I bet in a group of real educators he sounds like a pretender and an idiot and... Who the hell let me adult?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Maker Of Shoes posted:

most adults dont know what they are doing. everyone is just trying to out fake each other.

Evidently I am doing alright then as I have full credit on it (50/50). No commentary from the prof yet, though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well, just when I doubted myself, a relative's baby mama got arrested because she threatened to kill herself and others due to being strung out on some drugs. So, I've not done that yet, so I guess I'm doing alright.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

It's the small victories.

Yep. It's the little things, like the whine in my transmission that started a couple weeks back turning into my transmission slipping out of gear on the highway. My thirty minute drive home turned into an hour and a half. I would drive a ways, it'd slowly slip out of gear and refuse to go into gear. I'd stop, cut the engine off, let it cool a couple of minutes, start it up and go....and repeat the whole drive home.

I'll deal with it in the morning. That was on top of spending 6+ hours cleaning the relative's house (the one involved with the baby mama...) so DHS doesn't take his kid from him. She trashed the gently caress out of it and, well, he needed help cleaning it up, so I helped.... And I guess no good deed goes unpunished?

Welp, it's got 253k miles on it, and I'm the lovely owner who never had the truck's transmission serviced (but I've also never done anything but drive the truck, never hauled anything, etc) so I guess I get what I get.

I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got up, checked the fluid, it's pink but there doesn't seem to be any metal. Talked to my brother-in-law and he said it's probably (something I can't remember, like rings but not) that are worn out. Sounds like I get to buy a new transmission, because that's cheaper than a new car and I can't afford a car payment.

• Locked thread