Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We keep ours in the freezer as it gets close to the BB date because we rarely finish it before it starts to turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Today sucked. Funeral for a 39 year old suicide. Chapel was jam packed, people standing all along the sides and back. Hundreds of people. Funeral started about a half hour late because the family presumably needed time to pull themselves together.

Couldn't hear a pin drop in the chapel as the family walked in behind the casket. Widow with the young kids immediately behind it. And then the widow started sobbing and a kid said "daddy" and god drat, that was it.

:(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, someone talk me out of buying something like this. Or into it, which won't be hard.

01 2500, 6.6l duramax, like 220k on it but with all fleet maint records. 9500, versus 13k+ for a normal bodied truck. It would essentially be used only for towing, with probably the occasional commute.
Check if the injectors were done. If they haven't been, plan on it.

Rhyno posted:

I am. But the money is only okay, slightly less than I made in comic slinging. New gig is $21 an hour once I complete training.
You make less working as a property super/tech than working in a comic book store? :wow:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Back from SFO yesterday. Enjoyed the city, tons to see and do, but the homelessness was something else. Gave change when I could but I don't think you can walk more than 25' in the union square area (perimeter of many blocks) without getting hit up at least once, certainly multiple times in the space of a single block.

Also, not going to be miss the general smell of sewage in the gutter in the AM or better yet the treat of deuces dropped in the middle of the sidewalk.

Didn't see any Scientology recruiters, but man the JWs had nice stands set up in prime areas.

Rhyno posted:

I had to sign three different NDAs today. This company is incredible and is literally changing the world. I can't believe I have been given this opportunity.
Please don't be some MLM

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

everdave posted:

The raccoon is back all my efforts were for nothing. I went to Tractor Supply and I have 2 traps up in attic and a camera on them. I saw raccoon. Would have shot with my new Colt style single action but I had to YouTube first to see how to remove factory stuff and load. Have it waiting as I sit hoping...
The way your luck is you'll shoot it, and it'll fall between a wall or something and you'll have to tear half your house apart to fish out the corpse.

Alternatively, the natural predator to a raccoon is a cougar/mountain lion or bobcat, so trap one of those and put it in your attic. It'll take care of the problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Off topic, any of you guys box or spar martial arts with full closed finger gloves? If so, how the hell do you keep them from getting funky? Feet and headgear are easy enough, but the gloves are closed at the fingers so a bitch to properly clean and they get full of sweat each session. Spoke to a couple guys at the club and they just say they wipe them and :shrug:

I want to spray some lysol or something in mine to kill the funk but I'm not sure if that would damage the covering.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Memento posted:

Glove dogs stuffed with rocksalt.
Thanks man, I'll check into that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Memento posted:

I switched from a 50GB @ 6mbps plan to an actually-unlimited-download @ 100mbps plan late last year. It was a loving revelation.
Oh god, this. I went from a (what I thought was great) 25/5 DSL connection from my old place to a true FTTH which offers gigabit but ended up with the "lower tier" of 250/250. It is mind-blowing compared to the dsl..

I am still running Windows 8 with a classic shell skin and to be honest don't mind it. The only thing that really scares me with 10 is the only time I've ever had PC issues in the past 5+ years was from flaky driver updates via Windows update. I'm not to keen on Windows shoveling driver updates whether I want them or not. I understand 90%+ of everyone else uses it fine, so I'm not sure if I'm being irrational or not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's really going to depend how much it costs and how much it would impact you. Would you need a mortgage and have to go into debt? Being debt free means a lot, even in the era of (relatively) cheap money, but if it's going to mean a 20 year mortgage, gently caress that. If you can pay it off without a ton of effort and a reasonably short time (and ideally not put a lien on your existing property) I'd seriously consider it. I don't know about where you live, but where I live banks typically don't like mortgaging unimproved properties as easily as improved properties, so that might be something you will want to check into more sooner than later.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just found out the PBS documentary The Vietnam War is on Netflix, 10 part and 18 hours should be a good watch, from the bits I caught on PBS it looks really good. About time someone properly documented Vietnam.
Oh poo poo, and I still have to finish watching the WW2 documentary. Everything I've heard about the Vietnam documentary has been excellent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Adiabatic posted:

Step 1: dont be one of those people

Step 2: actively cull those people from your life

Step 3: happiness and no drama

In addition to this, just close your facebook and any social media accounts. I know it's shocking, but people can live just fine without it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 25, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants or cool things in San Francisco? I'm here until Friday and besides enjoying the gently caress out of legal weed, my fiance and I are not sure what to do
Where are you staying? There are some great but reasonable hole in the wall restaurants in the union square area.

Also, check out Alcatraz. the audio tour which is included is pretty cool. Plan to spend 3-4 hours there exploring.

Check out the GG and walk it if you have some time. Beware the crazy cyclists on rental bikes that have no loving idea how to ride a bicycle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just came back from a small local grocery store to pick up a couple small things and saw these ribeyes at the old school meat counter. I literally couldn't NOT buy them. I mean, just look at them.

These are getting grilled for about 5 min with just some salt and pepper. I'm not even hungry but I must eat these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A little bit of olive oil rubbed on them, then some liberal use of black pepper and kosher salt.

Grill is set somewhere between lava and surface of the sun for searing.

These babies are going on shortly. I'm begging Mrs slidebite to not make me grill it to well done.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Uggn

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That sucks.
I realize economics and practicality come into play, but I'll never freeze steak if I can avoid it at all. Chicken, most pork, roasts even I might, but if I'm going to grill a piece of beef I do my best to never freeze it. I find it just changes it.

And yeah, the difference between choice and prime or aaa for us in Canada can be pretty apparent once you dig into it. Costco gets their meat regionally but they do seem to have some pretty drat good supply.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iwentdoodie posted:

That steak needs so, so much more of a bark on it.

It's cooked perfect, just needs that crunchy outer shell of salt and pepper burned into fat and muscle.

My ribs always have some bark, steaks, not as much.

It was much thinner than I would like, probably only about 3/4" thick cooking on gas so it's not nearly as forgiving with heat and searing with flares since it could have easily been ruined in seconds under a good flare up. It was hot, off scale high, not coals high for sure, but drat hot. Being a relatively thin steak, I took the lesser of evils. If it were thicker, I wouldn't be so anal with flares and let some extreme heat, even some char via flaring.

As a side, I do far, far prefer coals for several reasons (flavor is just one of them) but on a work night nothing beats gas and cooking within 10 minutes after turning a valve and pressing a button.

Best steak I ever had was some mediocre cut I'm sure, over a wood campfire in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and a beer in my hand and girlfriend in the tent.

As a side, here is another pic I took. Mrs. Slidebites steak with around 1, 2 minutes max more than mine as they were resting. Hers was a solid medium-well. They started out basically identical in size.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Door Frame posted:

Oh man, is it too early to start a July chat thread?

AI July: Steak chat

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seminal Flu posted:

Stupid insane sounds to match stupid insane speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

Seems like if they make top gear a bit taller that they'd be faster yet. It spent a long time hitting the rev limiter at 368kph.

Wowza :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, same here.

I was right pissed off at myself 2 years back when I shopped on a whim and saved 50% on my home and auto insurance. Been with the same place for 20 years and had "preferred" rates due to my company. I'd hate to see what the regular rates would have been.

• Locked thread