Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

rear end cobra posted:

world cup group stage clog-fests are great at 2pm when you can have them on in the background while you do some work but im not interrupting my busy evening shitposting schedule for something like tunisia - new zealand or saudi arabia - england

I’m literally taking time off to watch Egypt v Uruguay because I’m mentally ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That's what they did in 1994 anyway

That featured some brutal heat in Southern U.S. cities and slow rear end games because players didn't want to die of heat prostration. Then you'd have the odd rainy & cool venue in Chicago with Bulgaria and Stoichkov eliminating Germany in a great match.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i remember going to watch Saudi Arabia v Scotland or something in dc. That's my world cup 94 memory

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Scotland weren't in it. Saudis had a guy who went on like an 80 yd scoring run that was the goal of the tournament. There was one group with Mexico, Ireland, Norway maybe and Italy and they all went 1-1-1 and I think 3 of them had red, green, white kits lol.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat my.mempry is worse than old.man mambos

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Azerban posted:

teal bunburahahaha

Oh right that cocksucker

His dad is a canmnt legend

Hes a loving idiot

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
just saw a really funny thread about colombia, its here if anyone fancies reading it and making some good posts. no probs if not though https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860040 cheers

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
MODS :ussr:

https://twitter.com/arturpetrosyan/status/1007032039533662208?s=21

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

They couldn't even wait to make it to the first loving game lmao

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:downsbravo:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i just want to see more side-by-side toilets like in Sochi

also, something interesting I read: how each of the seven teams with large numbers of Muslim players are dealing with the run-up to the WC also being right at the end of Ramadan

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. I'm surprised this isn't getting nearly as much coverage as Brazil 2014 did leading up to the event itself.
2. Why haven't I been hearing (from regular news) any boycotting of the games because Russia?
3. Has there been any controversy leading up to the games revolving around the games?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Anyone going to be watching from the Hereford FIFA Fan Zone?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
its not even started and spain's done a france and russia's done a russia

its the loving world cup boys :twisted:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Grouchio posted:

1. I'm surprised this isn't getting nearly as much coverage as Brazil 2014 did leading up to the event itself.
2. Why haven't I been hearing (from regular news) any boycotting of the games because Russia?
3. Has there been any controversy leading up to the games revolving around the games?

All I've heard so far were a bunch of students protesting the fan village or whatever it's called because they're in the middle of their exams.
Boohoohoo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can’t wait for Saudi Arabia and Russia to end 0-0

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I know with uncharacteristic certainty that Russia will find a way to not lose this game. Expect the softest penalty in world cup history some time around the 83rd minute to make it either 1-1 or 1-0.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm looking forward to the first red card from the video ref for a foul the on-field ref didn't see

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I forgot about VAR. What percentage of refs at the tournament have ever officiated games with it before? I can't believe they're just chucking it in at the World Cup, surely it's going to be a fiasco.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

jeebus bob posted:

I know with uncharacteristic certainty that Russia will find a way to not lose this game. Expect the softest penalty in world cup history some time around the 83rd minute to make it either 1-1 or 1-0.

you’re underestimating how bad russia is

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
world cup in russia can not not be funny no matter what

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
The BBC is getting hype https://youtu.be/WBxwX1myxqc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Any video that features the Roger Miller wiggle is ok with me, but that whole thing was great.

Kind of excited to watch my first World Cup coverage on Fox where they won’t find an excuse to shoehorn in talk about England at every goddamn opportunity, even long after they’ve been knocked out.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kind of excited to watch my first World Cup coverage on Fox where they won’t find an excuse to shoehorn in talk about England at every goddamn opportunity, even long after they’ve been knocked out.

Why do you think this won't happen?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

African AIDS cum posted:

The World cup was never good

7-1

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the world cup is the best thing in life (normally)

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I wouldn't worry about VAR. FIFA did call up a number of VAR-experienced refs to act as assistant referees.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

mackintosh posted:

I wouldn't worry about VAR. FIFA did call up a number of VAR-experienced refs to act as assistant referees.

And one of them was caught receiving a bribe lol

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Wasn't he one of those inexperienced ones? I thought all the VAR refs were from Europe.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

mackintosh posted:

Wasn't he one of those inexperienced ones? I thought all the VAR refs were from Europe.

No idea actually. He might've just been a linesman or something.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This is the bit I'm particularly excited about : https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/30/world-cup-var-red-cards-retrospective-russia

quote:

Ifab’s technical director, David Elleray, told the Times: “If there is something away from the action that has been missed and it later comes to the attention of the VAR or the assistant VAR, then they can inform the referee and he can send the player off, even if it is later in the match.

All while having no way of communicating anything to the broadcasters or the fans in the stadium.

Also, the VARs are confirmed full kit wankers: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/var-officials-wear-full-kit-12696712

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Can someone make the yellow/red cards that we used during the 2006 and 2010 world cups?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hello, the World Cup is today.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My body is ready for a World Cup.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Will there be match day threads?

Gigi Galli