Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The dream and romance of any REAL man!




Dusk Station Zero
Location: Ruins of Yonezawa City Hall
Facilities
Roof (LV1)
Walls (LV1)
Sleeping Area (LV1)
Water Source
Storage (LV1) (0/10)
Pantry (LV1)

Personnel
Teacher

Effects
[Willpower Base] + 7
[Stamina Base] + 2
Item Storage: 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The dream and romance of any REAL man!


Mission One

No one bothered to name a leader for the tiny camp, mainly because most of you didn't think you'd all make it through the winter. But now here you are, with the first thaws of spring just starting to send rivulets of water running off the giant drifts of snow currently burying Yonezawa. So most everyone in the Camp looks to the boy you all call Hakase. He's the one who found you a place to hide away from the winter, and the one who kept you warm at night with inspiring stories of the courage of the Uesugi. It is his tattered twin sparrow banner that now holds a prominent place at the heart of the Camp.

So, it is Hakase who calls the four of you together for a serious discussion once the winter begins to pass.

"We're not going to last much longer, like this," Hakase says without preamble, adjusting his glasses. His voice is dull, tired. "We're out of food, out of medicine, and we wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight if a monster comes along and decides to make this its new nest."

Looking each of you in the eye in turn, he speaks with a little of his old fire:

"We need to do something. Right now. We can't wait another day."

Turning slowly, as if afraid he'll shatter at any sudden movement, he pulls out a wrinkled and stained piece of paper and a little nub of a pencil. On the paper he draws a large square, then some lines as he explains a route.

"If you head due south from here, about a day's march away you'll find the Onuma Shopping Street. You'll know it by the big Onuma sign... last I heard it was still mostly visible. If you follow the shopping street to the west and just keep going, you'll come across an old mansion. That's Hakushaku-tei, an old residence of the descendants of the Uesugi that was later turned into a restaurant. There may be something edible left in there but that's not your end goal. See, just a bit further west of the Hakushaku-tei is Uesugi Shrine. That is your goal."

Setting down the pencil nub and sliding the map toward you all, he looks at you. In his eyes a feverish, hopeful light kindles.

"This is a tale of the Uesugi: When Uesugi Yozan was Lord, he always looked to solve the problems plaguing the peasants of his realm. One such problem was the lack of food during the harsh winters of Yonezawa. He knew that it was impossible for them to get enough nutrition, and every winter he lost many subjects to starvation. To solve this, he decided to use his own grounds to provide for his people. He had thousands of carp brought in, and kept them in the moat of the castle. Each year, before winter, the people would catch and preserve carp so they would have enough meat to see them safely through the season. After that, there was no more fear of starvation among the people of Yonezawa. Glory to the Uesugi. Glory to the Twin Sparrows."

Hakase left a reverent pause after the story before he continued.

"The castle is gone, now, but the moat is still there. The carp are still there. There were literally hundreds of them living in the moat before the disaster, and with this many years without human contact there could be even more now. Enough to feed us for a year. Enough for us to trade. And, if we are wise and cultivate them, they could become a source of food for us for as long as we need them. The blessed carp of the Uesugi will save this Camp."

Rising, he rummages around and pulls out a large jar full of fruit preserve. Setting it down on the ground between you, he half-sits, half-collapses. He's obviously running low on energy.

"We all had to make hard choices during the winter, but this was the hardest for me. Every day I wonder if this could have saved one of the kids who didn't make it. But I knew I had to hold something back, so when the time came we'd have enough to make a journey on. This will give you about 4 days out there. That should be enough to make it to the shrine. After that you'll have your fill of fish and more to spare."

Finally, he lets silence hang for a moment, before adding in a grim tone:

"I think you've all probably realized this, but that area is a Field. I've heard of strange creatures in the area, and no one has been able to get near the shrine since the disaster. You four are the strongest ones left in the Camp. I know this seems like a suicide mission, but I do believe the Uesugi will guide us."

Obviously exhausted by the long talk, he leans back and rubs his eyes under his cracked glasses.

"I wish there was something else I could do for you, but this is really all we have left. This is our one and only chance. I'm gambling everything on this. Once you're prepared, let me know. I'll at least see you to the edge of Camp."

This mission has a Limit of 4 Cycles (assuming it isn't extended at some point). Please conduct your Camp Phase Actions and indicate when you are done and ready to leave. Camp Actions are self-service; please roll anything you need to and resolve the actions. I'll step in if I'm needed. You can RP in Camp and talk to Hakase more if you'd like. Just make sure to indicate clearly when you've resolved your Action and are ready to leave Camp.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...



Kuwabatake Chiharu

"Alright, great story kid, now let's go nab this holy grub. I'm hungry enough to eat an...ugh, a carp."

This guy's real name is probably Tanaka or Jiro or something, isn't it? I'm putting up with it because his little spiels keep everyone else focused on what they're supposed to do, but he sounds like he's one bad month away from knifing someone on an altar. Uesugi this, Uesugi that. He's not careful and I'm going to go Nobunaga on his rear end.

I head on to the pantry to stock up, and realize halfway there that Kourogi's probably the only one who really knows what we have in there. Guess I'll just go boil up some water then; no use getting Giardia on a nice day like this. And hey, hey, are those kids playing Giants vs. Tigers on the field over there? And the Giants are winning in a lanslide? All is right with the world.

"Yo, Kourogi! What've we got left in the cupboard? Don't say jerky unless you absolutely have to, I know you're honest but spare something for a young woman's feelings."

"And Sakura, she eats normal food right? Wouldn't want to upset anyone with a special diet on a hike like this."

Taking a walk gives me a 6, found some kids playing happily for 3 extra Willpower.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!




Osaki Sakura
Stamina: 10 | Willpower: 8

Sakura stands up, and then says, "Okay, I mean, if we have to, a-as long as I'm not going alone..." to Hakase. She pulls her music player out of her pocket as she puts a slight distance between herself and the others. The humming sound from her horns grows before there's a audible pop and the smell of ozone, and the sound of music comes on briefly from its modest speakers, buzzing for a moment before she flicks it off.

Using Generator by spending 2 Willpower to Charge her radio for the rest of the adventure, and the Machinery roll of 8 will make it.

As she turns it off, some of the kids turn up, as one says, "Ah, we wanna hear the music!" Sakura shifts away slightly. "Oh, oh, okay. Just. don't get too close." She turns it back on, letting the song play out as she lazily follows after Chiharu, the kids trailing after. "I'm fine with whatever, I m-mean, I don't like anything that's been spoiled, or um... fermented, either!", she points out. "Um, I mean, unless I really really have to."

Rolled a 6 for take a walk for the same result, and a 1 for the Willpower gain. Should be ready to go, but might have a little RP fussing while the other players are handling their bits.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Jun 2, 2018 around 00:48

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give


Ultra Carp


Soejima
Willpower 12 | Stamina 10

Hakase was right about one thing: this did sound like a suicide mission. On the other hand, sitting here starving was also a kind of suicide, and at least visiting the shrine might be a little more fun. "You got it, Hakase. We won't let you down!" As always, Soejima's doing his best to sound big and brave, even if he's inwardly wondering how this is going to go. If they run into something serious in the Field... is he going to be dead weight out there? At least the others can all fight...

Nah, this isn't good for anything, all this thinking. Soejima follows along with Chiharu and Sakura, grinning at the kids and at the burst of music from Sakura's radio. "Well, whatever you don't like, Sakura, I'll eat," he says. "But whatever Kourogi's got cooking will be great. Always is."

Also rolled a 6 on Take a Walk, for 2 willpower.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

slime time



Fun Shoe


Kourogi
Willpower 10 | Stamina 10

Kourogi, who had spent quite a few unhappy minutes taking stock of the pantry situation before everyone had gathered for Hakase's little speech, stared owlishly at Mrs. Kuwabatake.

"There's.... snow," she offered, as if that was any more comforting than what she'd told her not to tell.

Honestly, though, for an adult... Mrs. Kuwabatake really wasn't all that adult-ish, was she? They'd been without anything resembling real food for so long that even complaining about it was starting to get stale and worn out -- and yet here she she was, still holding out for some forgotten miracle in the back of the pantry.

Well, she supposed, everyone had their own things they did to keep themselves busy and happy.

"Just snow," she continues, hurrying to keep up with Mrs. Kuwabatake and the small group following her. Her voice is a little more urgent this time.

Rolled a 7 on the Take a Walk roll, which opens up a new sidequest

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...



Kuwabatake Chiharu

"Then if we find any pickles, they're mine."

Kourogi's words are a little more worrying. "Well that's a tragedy, isn't it? Best hope now is we forage our backs off on the way over. "

Chiharu cups her chin in her hands and goes through a long litany of grimaces, the muscles of her face being pulled this way and that like...well, like if a lot of children were tugging at her. Is she really going to do this? She thinks back to all that time she spent bragging about living off bark, dew, and bird feathers, and her face starts to grow a little bit red.

Guh, I might as well get this over with now.

She slips Kourogi three decent-sized slabs of jerky she'd kept in a secret corner of her pack, and gives a look which roughly translates to "don't tell anyone it's from me, kid." And "I'm only doing this because I can go on for longer without food than the rest of you, you'd all slow me down otherwise, got it????" if anyone tried to translate further.

Savings nets me +3J at the start of each session, and I'm handing that to Kourogi now. I was going to spend it on some odds and ends since it's money, this seemed appropriate.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give


Ultra Carp


Soejima
Willpower 12 | Stamina 10

"Hey, how about that? That'll keep us going a little while! 'course, we shouldn't be slow anyway... but hey!" Soejima cracks a bright and relaxed grin. A part of him knows there's going to be more to this mission, let alone survival, than a little jerky, but no reason not to be happy about what there is to be happy with, right?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!




Osaki Sakura
Stamina: 10 | Willpower: 8

Sakura stares at the jerky as it makes the transition, then to Soejima, then to Chiharu. Mostly, she stares.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

slime time



Fun Shoe


Kourogi
Willpower 10 | Stamina 10

The jerky vanishes silently into some pocket or another in Kourogi's coat and she nods, resolutely. She wasn't one for talking much, so keeping a secret wouldn't be too much of a problem...

...Not that all those pointed looks from Mrs. Kuwatabake really meant all that much when she hadn't tried to be secretive about it at all. Or maybe she hadn't because she actually wanted to draw attention to it? Adults really were weird. Well, whatever. She gives Soejima a quick smile that, well, looks more than a little odd on her face.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The dream and romance of any REAL man!


Beginning Search Phase

Remaining Cycles: 4

(Rolled a 3 on the first Random Encounter check)

Once everyone's preparations are complete, Hakase is waiting for you at the southern entrance to the camp and looking grim. He points to two small dots barely visible against the white background of the snow-covered street leading south.

"I was hoping all the bugs had died out during the winter, but it looks like some managed to pull through. The forest and rubble are too thick on the sides of the street, so you'll need to go right past where they're scouting. I think you'll need to take them out before you can head south."

The memory of the massive bug attack is still fresh in his mind as he watches the circling insects with a face drained of blood and hope.

"I'm sorry for pushing this all onto you, but we're counting on you," he says.

(You are facing 2 Armored Wasps on your way to the first Checkpoint. Please roll an Initiative Check. The target specialty this time is Hide; you must stealthily approach the scouting insects to avoid an immediate attack. Please be descriptive in how you use any substitute specialties for this Check. Combat will start once everyone has rolled/RPed their initiative checks.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!




Osaki Sakura
Stamina: 10 | Willpower: 8

Sakura has a hard time going unseen. She may have antlers to put a deer to shame, but none of their natural stillness. And so she aims to just dart quickly between objects, hoping her small size and cover will keep her unseen. It's not her strong suit, but she tries!

The darting horns still poke up from behind the bushes, though.

Using Flee for the check, which makes it require a roll of 10. The actual roll is 7, though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give


Ultra Carp


Soejima
Willpower 12 | Stamina 10

Stealth isn't necessarily Soejima's specialty, although maybe it should be... but sometimes, just being fast on your feet might be enough, right?. He throws himself into the snowy undergrowth, trying to throw himself behind something big enough to hide him before the insects can notice. Brush and snow crash with his landing -- no matter how well he's technically hidden, that's hardly going to work...

Using Initiate as a proxy for Hide; it's three steps away, so my target number is 8.
Initiative Check w/ Initiate (target Hide, difficulty 8): 2d6 6
Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

slime time



Fun Shoe


Kourogi
Willpower 10 | Stamina 10

Kourogi hangs back and watches the wasps dart back and forth on patrol. After a few minutes, inspiration strikes - she forms a snowball around a small rock and hurls it hard at a tree as far from her as possible and, when the ice coating the branches shatters with a satisfying crack, waits for the bugs to investigate the sound before taking off past them.

Using Capture as trap making as a proxy for Hide - lemme know if it's too flimsy a justification and I'll reroll.

As is: TN 6, rolled 7.

  • Locked thread