Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

you say this like shadows of the empire wasn't cursed af

Shadows of the Empire (like most 'good' n64 games) has a solid stamp of "Was Good For The Time".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't go outside my bookmarked special topic threads which are mostly games generally. This is like, the only unfocused thread I don't hate

I think that discussion organization in forums (where you follow topics) is much better than things like twitter (where you follow people) and I'm glad it still exists in these dead forums

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mutata posted:

Shadows of the Empire (like most 'good' n64 games) has a solid stamp of "Was Good For The Time".

Mario, both zeldas, star fox, and banjo kazooie all stand the test of time, off the top of my head

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't go outside my bookmarked special topic threads which are mostly games generally. This is like, the only unfocused thread I don't hate

I think that discussion organization in forums (where you follow topics) is much better than things like twitter (where you follow people) and I'm glad it still exists in these dead forums

I'd much rather post here than like, reddit, for sure

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So did Banjo Tooie and DK64 imo, though I know a lot of people dislike the latter. The N64 had a lot of very solid platformers even given the wonky controller.

Oh also Best Mario Kart.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the death of forums is inevitable but the Games Chat Thread Discord will be nice i think

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
banjo-tooie is worse than dk64

star fox 64, sin & punishment, mischief makers and majora's mask are the best n64 games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah how did I forget mischief makers that game is my favorite 2D platformer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mutata posted:

I'm fairly certain nobody ever played past the first two or three levels

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

star fox 64, sin & punishment, mischief makers and majora's mask are the best n64 games

ogre battle and harvest moon tapping you on the shoulder

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Looper posted:

Nah the rest of the game is great too. I've died to loving IG-88 probably over a thousand times.

The Colonel posted:

Huh

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yall leaving out F-Zero X.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Paper Mario would hold up if it moved faster

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

the death of forums is inevitable but the Games Chat Thread Discord will be nice i think

wait what, this doesn't exist already does it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, I know, that's why I specifically said most.

Looper posted:

I beat it!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If the SGDQ thread doesn't fund bandwidth we should probably prepare for the forums to go sooner rather than later.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

wait what, this doesn't exist already does it

Most SA users would probably still use mIRC or AIM.

But a Discord chat for a subforum this big would be way too chaotic and wildly unmoderated.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anybody who still uses IRC or especially loving AIM (lol who does this?) needs to be forcefully dragged into the present imo

There already is a SA mostly-games discord that a lot of people use, it's pretty large and has tons of subchannels and it works out pretty well, it's here: https://discord.gg/fuD3dTn

Also the SA discord directory: https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

I think that individual game discords with a main general discussion one for the chat stuff and small games will be the way of the future if SA ever truly dies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Jim Carey is going to voice Eggman / Robotnik in a live action / CG movie version of Sonic the Hedgehog

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/30/17521630/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-jim-carrey

Am I on drugs right now?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Should be a picture of UncommentatedPannen, Pannenkoek2012 has already ascended

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't think that would land as cleanly

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does that make TJ "Henry" Yoshi a preta

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

oddium posted:

i didn't think that would land as cleanly

It lands in a non-quadruple pu.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I didn't appreciate shadows of the empire until tim rogers made an hour long video about one level of it and I'm serious it's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMRiFsFwDQg

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Shortest Path posted:

Anybody who still uses IRC or especially loving AIM (lol who does this?) needs to be forcefully dragged into the present imo

There already is a SA mostly-games discord that a lot of people use, it's pretty large and has tons of subchannels and it works out pretty well, it's here: https://discord.gg/fuD3dTn

Also the SA discord directory: https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

I think that individual game discords with a main general discussion one for the chat stuff and small games will be the way of the future if SA ever truly dies.

I was jesting over how long it takes for SA to adapt to new stuff. But thanks for the links!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dk64 has a lot of issues but it's better at consistently giving you stuff to do, banjo-tooie's atmosphere is incredible but its worlds are too big and you don't really have a good way to traverse them that isn't just using warp pads constantly. it ends up feeling very slow and empty with the interesting moments of gameplay being pretty few and far between, a lot of the jiggies are based more out of tedium and busywork and the highlights usually end up being the boss battles that are the only part of the game that really exploit its mechanics in any interesting way

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AIM was been discontinued in like December. It only recently went away for good.

There's plenty wrong with SA but there's enough decent people and good discussion that keeps me around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

dk64 has a lot of issues but it's better at consistently giving you stuff to do, banjo-tooie's atmosphere is incredible but its worlds are too big and you don't really have a good way to traverse them that isn't just using warp pads constantly. it ends up feeling very slow and empty with the interesting moments of gameplay being pretty few and far between, a lot of the jiggies are based more out of tedium and busywork and the highlights usually end up being the boss battles that are the only part of the game that really exploit its mechanics in any interesting way
When the 360 port of Tooie came out , I remember being surprised that in like 8 hours I only had like 20 something Jiggies compared to...I think all of them or nearly all of them in Kazooie in that same amount of time.

Game is way slower than people remember it being, despite there being like 10 less Jiggies in Tooie overall.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
really though banjo-kazooie is one of the only n64 rare games that has a pretty decent pace and doesn't overstuff itself so much that it becomes a mess. some day they'll release perfect dark on pc and that will be the best rare game

Raxivace posted:

When the 360 port of Tooie came out , I remember being surprised that in like 8 hours I only had like 20 something Jiggies compared to...I think all of them or nearly all of them in Kazooie in that same amount of time.

Game is way slower than people remember it being, despite there being like 10 less Jiggies in Tooie overall.

it's nuts, and it wouldn't be an issue if the reason for it wasn't just that it takes so insanely long that it stops feeling rewarding and just feels stupid and annoying. if like half of the challenges in tooie actually had you doing anything meaningful it would be cool but there are too many jiggies that are just "crawl all the way into this one corner of the world, now crawl all the way into the other corner of the world, and do these arbitrary tasks that don't actually require you to do anything fun or interesting over the course of all of it"

banjo-kazooie's jiggies are good cause the ones that require you to really dig around the map are usually a lot shorter of a process, and most of the rest have some associated challenge that's fun to complete. like the engine room in rusty bucket bay is pretty bullshitty on the n64 version but, it's at least, a thing you have to challenge yourself with at all and not just a big square room with a pool in the middle that takes ten minutes to reach and that you can only cross once you're 15 hours in and it just gives you one jiggy for it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 1, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PM if you want an invite to the games chat thread ICQ room

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rare were ahead of the curve when it came to video games becoming a bloated mess of huge empty worlds with 30-50+ hours of recycled content.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cross-level stuff in banjo-tooie is the most interesting idea in its structure but that's also kind of a wash because so often it just results in even more work to reach a bland featureless room with one goddamn jiggy. fuckin vexx had a more interesting execution of that stuff and vexx was 1/3 of a video game!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I accidentally took over someone's discord a while back and it has accidentally become filled with mostly games chat thread people but that's about it I think

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also I love how for the 360 port of Tooie they found a way add even more drat collectibles into that game.

The Colonel posted:

it's nuts, and it wouldn't be an issue if the reason for it wasn't just that it takes so insanely long that it stops feeling rewarding and just feels stupid and annoying. if like half of the challenges in tooie actually had you doing anything meaningful it would be cool but there are too many jiggies that are just "crawl all the way into this one corner of the world, now crawl all the way into the other corner of the world, and do these arbitrary tasks that don't actually require you to do anything fun or interesting over the course of all of it"

banjo-kazooie's jiggies are good cause the ones that require you to really dig around the map are usually a lot shorter of a process, and most of the rest have some associated challenge that's fun to complete. like the engine room in rusty bucket bay is pretty bullshitty on the n64 version but, it's at least, a thing you have to challenge yourself with at all and not just a big square room with a pool in the middle that takes ten minutes to reach and that you can only cross once you're 15 hours in and it just gives you one jiggy for it
Yeah I think this nails it pretty well. I'm just kind of glad to see people sort of coming around on Tooie now tbh, since for years I would get the poster equivalent of funny looks for taking issue with its game design.

Honestly even if we didn't have the note-saving system from the 360 port now I'd still probably defend the infamous Engine Room since its such a memorable part of that game. Its like the Anor Londo Archers of the N64.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

Also I love how for the 360 port of Tooie they found a way add even more drat collectibles into that game.
Yeah I think this nails it pretty well. I'm just kind of glad to see people sort of coming around on Tooie now tbh, since for years I would get the poster equivalent of funny looks for taking issue with its game design.

Honestly even if we didn't have the note-saving system from the 360 port now I'd still probably defend the infamous Engine Room since its such a memorable part of that game. Its like the Anor Londo Archers of the N64.

the engine room owns because it's hilarious seeing people get punked on it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

I didn't appreciate shadows of the empire until tim rogers made an hour long video about one level of it and I'm serious it's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMRiFsFwDQg

No kidding, this is actually pretty entertaining. I'd go for more stuff like this or Boss Keys talking about level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

the engine room owns because it's hilarious seeing people get punked on it

It has it's own wiki entry and I love it
http://banjokazooie.wikia.com/wiki/Engine_Room

quote:

The Engine Room is a huge, cavernous area inside The Rusty Bucket of Rusty Bucket Bay. With its cams, cranks, wafer-thin platforms, and deadly fans, it is possibly the most hated room in the entire Banjo-Kazooie series.

• Locked thread