Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
ITT we discuss whether a candidate who endorses "moving the Jewish state to a more defensible location, like New Jersey" is real.

Immanentized posted:

I did, I was just commenting on the editorial board's inclination to publish title IX stuff. I don't have a problem with the content, just the publishing agency behind it. They ping pong on the issue between their staff, and the message gets turned into white tower academic nonsense instead of a pressing issue. (Execution of title IX protections, rather than the provisions of the ruling itself)

If the way we've implemented title IX protections is trivially exploitable, isn't that a problem?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That's incredibly cool.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

America's Mayor is the gift that keeps on giving.

quote:

WASHINGTON, June 3 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani said on Sunday the president probably has the power to pardon himself but does not plan to do so.

Asked whether Trump has the power to give himself a pardon, Giuliani said, "He's not, but he probably does." Giuliani added that Trump has no intention of pardoning himself," but that the U.S. Constitution, which gives a president the authority to issue pardons, "doesn't say he can't."

Giuliani said on ABC's "This Week" program, "It would be an open question. I think it would probably get answered by, gosh, that's what the Constitution says."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tyrant says what?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I mean by that logic because I could one day become president, don't I inherently have the pardon power vested in me by the people of future America?

I'll take a small chocolate frosty and fries.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Reading a WaPo article about sexual abuse in Evangelical churches, when this bit comes up:

quote:

Why are so many evangelicals (who also devote resources to fighting sex trafficking or funding shelters for battered women) so dismissive of the women in their own pews? Roger Canaff, a former New York state prosecutor who specialized in child sexual abuse, tells me that many worshipers he encountered felt persecuted by the secular culture around them — and disinclined to reach out to their persecutors for help in solving problems. This is the same dynamic that drove a cover-up culture among ultra-Orthodox communities in New York, where rabbis insisted on dealing with child abusers internally, according to several analysts.

But among evangelicals, there is an added eschatological component: According to a 2010 survey by the Pew Research Center, 41 percent of Americans believe that the end times will occur before 2050. In some evangelical teachings, a severe moral decay among unbelievers precedes the rapture of the faithful. Because of this, many evangelicals see the outside world as both a place in need of God’s love and a corrupt, fallen place at odds with the church. (“New Secularism is an attempt to undermine and destroy Christianity,” warned a headline in Christian Today a few years ago.)

This attitude could explain the 2017 case of an assistant pastor at Agape Bible Church in Thornton, Colo., who was convicted and sentenced to 13 years in prison for repeatedly sexually assaulting an adolescent girl. The police investigation revealed that church leaders and the girl’s father agreed not to contact the police because the “biblical counseling” received within the church was sufficient to handle the case. According to an officer who interviewed the father, “His interest was in protecting the church and its reputation more than protecting his daughter.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e1ea1c4c1224

I think this is why the GOP is breaking its spine trying to bend over backwards to help Trump. If he starts WWIII, Jesus comes back and they go to heaven.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah that's been going on nonstop since the late 70s, god help us if D&D ever figures out they do and always have had a legitimate accelerationist option.

How else do you think Israel got their arm so far up our rear end

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This was eye-opening to my European rear end regarding Americans: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/05/american-atheists-religious-european-christians/560936/

quote:

First, researchers confirmed the widely known fact that, overall, Americans are much more religious than Western Europeans.

The third finding reported in the study is by far the most striking. As it turns out, “American nonebelievers are as religious as—or even more religious than—Christians in several European countries, including France, Germany, and the U.K.”

“That was a surprise,” Neha Sahgal, the lead researcher on the study, told me.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
So hot on the heels of "Cellphone security is too inconvenient":
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-u-s-officials/

quote:

A federal study found signs that surveillance devices for intercepting cellphone calls and texts were operating near the White House and other sensitive locations in the Washington area last year.

A Department of Homeland Security program discovered evidence of the surveillance devices, called IMSI catchers, as part of federal testing last year, according to a letter from DHS to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on May 22. The letter didn't specify what entity operated the devices and left open the possibility that there could be alternative explanations for the suspicious cellular signals collected by the federal testing program last year.

The discovery bolsters years of independent research suggesting that foreign intelligence agencies use sophisticated interception technology to spy on officials working within the hub of federal power in the nation’s capital. Experts in surveillance technology say that IMSI catchers — sometimes known by one popular brand name, StingRay — are a standard part of the tool kit for many foreign intelligence services, including for such geopolitical rivals as Russia and China.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

Really neat evolution thing going on atm

Life, uh, finds a way

Apparently this all happened in a german pet store then one got released.

This Jurassic World marketing is getting out of hand.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...o-a8381146.html

quote:

Mr Crosland fed the puppy to the snapping turtle in front of a small number of students after classes finished and not during regular school activities, according to superintendent Marc Gee.

The mother of two boys who were present told the Preston Citizen their children were more upset about the criticism of their teacher than the incident itself.

Former students told East Idaho News Mr Crosland had previously fed guinea pigs to snakes and turtles during class demonstrations.

:stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Between "Comey and the boys" and the repeated indignation, I was almost torn on what to laugh about (be mindblown the most about), but it ended up being "Stormtrooper tactics" :lol:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Department of "Justice"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pretty old news. Been in the science news for awhile.

Still curious how they taste.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Pentagon Wars is on prime streaming now if anyone hasn't seen it yet. (Finally watching now!)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A lot of the nonreligious population here were raised in religious households. That'd be why they have a solid grasp on how religion works. I was raised catholic and if I had kids, I'd probably torture them with the boogeymen that's the holy trinity, but I don't give a poo poo and don't want kids. I haven't fallen for religious bullshit since I was a kid, but it was good structure to prepare you for the fact that everyone is full of poo poo.

Oh, I, Tonya is on hulu, since we were talking the Kerrigan/Harding incident a week ago. It's good.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 3, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

shame on an IGA posted:

America's Mayor is the gift that keeps on giving.

The thing is that, while Trump can technically pardon himself, he can't be tried for any crimes during his presidency, so he can't be convicted, and obviously he can't pardon himself when he's not president anymore.

Or am I missing something here?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dance Officer posted:

The thing is that, while Trump can technically pardon himself, he can't be tried for any crimes during his presidency, so he can't be convicted, and obviously he can't pardon himself when he's not president anymore.

Maybe a preemptive pardon, so he can't be tried after he leaves office?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Between "Comey and the boys" and the repeated indignation, I was almost torn on what to laugh about (be mindblown the most about), but it ended up being "Stormtrooper tactics" :lol:

Hey how are folks in Germany reacting to the news that our ambassador would actively destabilize your government?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

Maybe a preemptive pardon, so he can't be tried after he leaves office?

Man we really are living in a Tom Clancy fever dream aren't we.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man we really are living in a Tom Clancy fever dream aren't we.

Not yet, first we need a mass casualty event involving something stupid. A gas leak at Cowboy Stadium, Harford Nuclear Plant going full China syndrome, maybe weaponized smallpox escaping from USAMRIID.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Also, a fair number of secular people in the USA, even if they dislike the militant atheist edgelord crow, are not willing to outright state they don't believe in anything. It can be damaging to career or lead to dumbass arguments they don't want to have.

The words agnostic, secular, or non-religious provide tons of top cover to people who don't dare say they don't actively believe in a god.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
A lot of the mainline protestant churches are starting to eschew traditional services and adopting modern American evangelical practices in order to try to attract new members or bring people back. Instead, the more secular people tend to stop going when the organ and hymns are replaced with bad Christian rock music and the collection plate is now accompanied by a hard sell on tithing.

So you have a couple generations of people who still identify as Christians, but are too weirded out to go to church anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

BigDave posted:

Not yet, first we need a mass casualty event involving something stupid. A gas leak at Cowboy Stadium, Harford Nuclear Plant going full China syndrome, maybe weaponized smallpox escaping from USAMRIID.

Puerto Rico?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dance Officer posted:

Ford pardoned Nixon for crimes he hadn't been charged with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Arven posted:

A lot of the mainline protestant churches are starting to eschew traditional services and adopting modern American evangelical practices in order to try to attract new members or bring people back. Instead, the more secular people tend to stop going when the organ and hymns are replaced with bad Christian rock music and the collection plate is now accompanied by a hard sell on tithing.

So you have a couple generations of people who still identify as Christians, but are too weirded out to go to church anymore.

It's really funny because a bunch of conservatives are writing think pieces that assert that a lack of belief in God is tied solely to the socially conservative positions of modern Christianity. While that's certainly part of it, there's also, you know, the whole lack of empirical evidence that God exists.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soulex posted:

Puerto Rico?

Nah, something more dramatic, involving explosives and hostages.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Ford pardoned Nixon for crimes he hadn't been charged with.

No one really pressed the issue though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

Nah, something more dramatic, involving explosives and hostages.

White people too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

No one really pressed the issue though.

Perhaps in part because the issue hadn't been seriously challenged since the Supreme Court had ruled on the issue in 1866.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

psydude posted:

It's really funny because a bunch of conservatives are writing think pieces that assert that a lack of belief in God is tied solely to the socially conservative positions of modern Christianity. While that's certainly part of it, there's also, you know, the whole lack of empirical evidence that God exists.

Where's your definitive proof that he doesnt huh? What now? The lack of evidence is just a test of your faith ipso facto gently caress you spawn of Satan you're going to hell

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://youtu.be/FDfrrgqy_Eo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

White people too.

We need black cops to start treating honkies like they do them.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Soulex posted:

We need black cops to start treating honkies like they do them.

Honkies? Really? And you want american cops to be more violent? Really?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm not a huge fan of cops but how about we not do that.

Speaking of racism:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/missouri-report-blacks-85-percent-stopped-55595962

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
:shrug: If they were violent towards white people more often it might start being a problem in the minds of about a third of the country. Kinda like how the opiate crisis is a crisis now, but the drug war was a valiant struggle against the lesser people in society.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm an atheist *tips fedora* but was raised hard core catholic, went to catholic school for a solid 6 or 7 years and will probably be married outside of a church, but will have my child baptized and not tell him anything else about God or jesus apart from its something some people believe. You'll make a decision eventually but don't worry about it now kid

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cops got no problem murdering white people either, they're just smart enough to make sure its a poor person

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Honkies? Really? And you want american cops to be more violent? Really?

Just the non-white ones. I also want a border patrol for Native Americans who evict tenants based on if someone looks white or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Also, a fair number of secular people in the USA, even if they dislike the militant atheist edgelord crow, are not willing to outright state they don't believe in anything. It can be damaging to career or lead to dumbass arguments they don't want to have.

The words agnostic, secular, or non-religious provide tons of top cover to people who don't dare say they don't actively believe in a god.

I was raised in a nominally Lutheran liberal household and began to lean more towards the noisy atheist crowd after I stopped going to church as a teenager, but I go under the non-religious umbrella now. At the end of the day I really just don't care about religion beyond ensuring we have a secular government/public institutions.

Social justice from liberal churches is still pretty cool though. Also the history/architecture of churches is neat, like when I was in Leipzig last year seeing the churches where Bach resided or anti-DDR protests began.

Re: actually going to church, I'd sort of like a secular church where we have interesting intellectual discussions (think TED talks or something) instead of a sermon, eat coffee and donuts while you talk to neighbors, do social justice/charity stuff, etc. Basically fostering healthy community life. My faith in most people actually engaging in that is pretty low though.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 4, 2018

• Locked thread