Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gazpacho posted:

There were online discussions with examples after Apple announced they were freezing the UA, look them up yourself if you care, I don’t have to document them for you nor provide more info about the tech I currently work on just so people can tell me how evil I am for working on it. L8rz

turns out... We were the Bad Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Again with the aesthetics, try considering whether it works for once

ps: ad tech is on of the least morally problematic domains a person can work in

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Gazpacho posted:

lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gazpacho posted:

Again with the aesthetics, try considering whether it works for once

because it’s so clearly immoral, there’s no dilemma ?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

lmao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i'm surprised it took this long for a browser dev to give up on the ua string. it's been a disaster for literally decades because for some reason people never figure out that doing "clever" things with it is inherently not future-proof

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

user agent is totally wrong for feature detection. also tracking doesn't use user agents either, they also use feature detection. if apple is just normalizing user agents its not gonna do anything

no, they are obfuscating system fonts and browser plugins/extensions, e.g. the right steps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

There were online discussions with examples after Apple announced they were freezing the UA, look them up yourself if you care, I don’t have to document them for you nor provide more info about the tech I currently work on just so people can tell me how evil I am for working on it. L8rz

did we make a haxx0r angery? :ohdear:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gaz is choosing the most boring unattractive hill to die upon

I hope they move on to a better job that doesn't demand they fight for all the pennies on the ground :)

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
back in the day when i worked in mobile

what you did to get featured on the app store was go to all the ad companies, and buy the "employer = apple" demo out completely and just bombard it with all your dollars.

then you got featured and made all your money back times a million.

so, i guess what you could say is, adtech is bad?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

after all these years, i can finally make an emoticon stick its tongue out via facial recognition

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Roosevelt posted:

after all these years, i can finally make an emoticon stick its tongue out via facial recognition

im legit excited about upping my poo poo animoji game

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

obstipator posted:

if steve was still alive, i bet he would have revealed something BIG at the keynote.

what do U think he would have revealed??

the wu-tang secret obv

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
web devs are ... bad?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the wu-tang secret obv

no wonder they put him in the ground

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

"i dont have a good reason to explain my awful opinions to you plebs because i make an assload of money selling ur gramma's browsing info lol l8rz haha fuckin idiots they just dont get it"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think you misunderstand, his problem isn't showing you ads, it's that his webpage shits itself if he doesn't know precisely what build of browser you're using on what os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im fine with stuff breaking on safari due to bugs in safari.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
please, we need more computer touchers condemning another computer toucher for touching computers but in a bad way because they only touch computers in a good way

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

:bang: suppose a bug in a particular version of some browser breaks your site. it's not your fault. There is an ugly but effective workaround that you can use if you know your site is running on an affected browser. However (pay close attention here) the browser dev who checked in the bug did not go to the trouble to provide a detection API for the bug that he accidentally coded. You have to check the user agent, and if you’re paid to make the site work you will check it regardless of what some aesthete on the internet says is right or wrong.

suppose someone doesn't want to be advertised to, tracked, or have their data sold

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

work is work, who gives a gently caress

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

there is no morality if you're getting paid :buddy:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vintersorg posted:

work is work, who gives a gently caress

people with morals

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the scene from human traffic with moff and his family

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Gazpacho posted:

I do work in ad tech

up against the wall motherfucker

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'll get the blindfolds

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

haha gently caress you

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

haha gently caress you

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Pathetic nerd shaking fist at a bus stop poster: “you bastards!!!!”

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i'd be miserable working in "ad tech" and having to rationalize it to people. i'm so sorry

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gazpacho posted:

Pathetic nerd shaking fist at a bus stop poster: “you bastards!!!!”

:lol:

that's like saying YOU DRIVE A CAR TO WORK WHY CRY ABOUT OIL

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
wait, so is wwdc over yet?

where's my non-touchbar mbp timbo?????

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

wait, so is wwdc over yet?

where's my non-touchbar mbp timbo?????

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

that's like saying YOU DRIVE A CAR TO WORK WHY CRY ABOUT OIL
eh no because cars crash and kill people and ads ... ads tell you that something exists to buy

there's dozens of tech products (among others) that you know about , that you first learned about thorugh ads

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

there's dozens of tech products (among others) that you know about , that you first learned about thorugh ads

the most damning indictment of the ad industry i've seen yet

nice self own

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
stymie stop posting from your parachute account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

professionally made ads are a legacy medium, you just need superfans to make tons of content for youtube/pinterest and pay a few of them and give free samples to a few more

• Locked thread