Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

This is the official TRP thread for the 2018 French National Team, sponsored by Qatar Airways. France is conisdered one of the front runners due to
their overwhelming wealth of attacking players, which is expected to make up for their suspect goalkeeping, midfield and defence. In all likelihood,
their performance will mirror that of Belgium: play some decent games in the group stages until they poo poo the bed in the quarters and underwhelm to
an early exit.

First off, apologies for the length; I have far, far too much to say about Les Bleus and I have tried to keep it short.

History:

France's international football history is a story of major ups and downs: winning the 1984 Euro, then failing to qualify for Euro 1988; winning the 1998 World Cup, then exiting the 2002 World Cup's group stage; making a fantastic showing at World Cup 2006, followed by a player revolt and strike at the 2010 World Cup.

But they jettisoned Raymond Domenech, the coach who picks players with astrology, proposed to a girlfriend at a press conference to explain another French humiliation, and who neglected to tell the team captain, Patrick Vieira, that he was not selected for WC 2010, so that he had to find out on the news. After Domenech, they hired one national team legend, Laurent Blanc, who underachieved at Euro 2012. They replaced him with Didier Deschamps, another national team legend, who will likely be jettisoned if France underachieves again. Given historical trends, it seems probable they will pick up another big name French manager with a stunning run of recent success...

The 2018 Team - Goalkeepers:

Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (PSG)

Lloris is the unquestioned starter, due to being the best of the three, and the team's captain. He unfortunately has the propensity for some perplexing
goalkeeping decisions, like what cost the team Euro 2016, but is still the best option. Mandanda has performed superbly for Marseille over the years,
but tends to poo poo the bed in international games and, as we've seen, continental finals. They might let Areola start in the group stage, but
it seems unlikely. He played pretty well for PSG this year, becoming a rare commodity: a PSG youth product who actually starts for the
first team.

The Team - Defenders:

Layvin Kurzawa (PSG),
Presnel Kimpembe (PSG),
Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City),
Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona),
Raphael Varane (Real Madrid),
Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid),
Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart),
Adil Rami (Marseille),
Djibril Sidibe (Monaco)

A big change from Euro 2016, there are two notable omissions here: Laurent Koscielny is unable to play because of injury, and Mathieu Debuchy
was also not picked possibly due to age, despite resurrecting his career at AS Saint-Etienne in 2018. Many of these defenders are only
starting to assert themselves on the international stage, with Kurzawa, Kimpembe, Mendy, Hernandez, Pavard and Sidibe playing in their first
international tournament, a bit of a departure for Deschamps as he is not typically known for picking a team full of debutants. Their
starting fullbacks in 2016 were Patrice Evra and Bacary Sagna. The defence mirrors the French team as a whole: a collection of extremely
talented individuals, but it remains to be seen how well they play collectively.

The Team - Midfielders:

Thomas Lemar (Monaco), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), Paul Pogba (Manchester United), N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)

No real surprises here, aside from Thomas Lemar, who had a very poor season compared to his usual standard, as he allowed his head to be turned
by interest from Arsenal and Liverpool and never got over his disappointment at staying at Monaco. While Pogba had an inconsistent season as well,
an exclusion from the French team at the World Cup is impossible. It remains to be seen how well he'll perform, since he is often not
good outside of his preferred position and role. Kante, I heard, was good, but unfortunately hurt often which did not help Chelsea's season.
I don't watch the Bundesliga, so I don't know how well Tolisso did this year, and the same with Matuidi and Juventus.

The big controversy, because there's always a controversy with Les Bleus over major tournaments, was a midfield nuisance named
Adrien Rabiot, who was picked for the provisional 30-man squad yet declined to participate due to an alleged beef about how he's been
used as a player this year. He's caused trouble before over his use at PSG, likely not helped due to his agent being his mother. So he's
not been called up to the final squad, which is probably for the best.

The Team - Forwards:

Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona), Florian Thauvin (Marseille), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Kylian Mbappe (PSG), Nabil Fekir (Lyon),
Olivier Giroud (Chelsea)

No real surprises here. Dimitri Payet was a lock for inclusion due to his 2018 form, but an injury at the Europa League final screwed
his chances. Thauvin has been a monster for Marseille the past two seasons, scoring 37 goals in Ligue 1 during that time, but due to personality issues was not called up to the senior
team until 2017. Another debutant-heavy selection, with this being the first major tournament for Dembele, Thauvin, Mbappe, and Fekir.
Fekir was expected to be called up for Euro 2016, but an ACL injury took a long time to recover from. Giroud has been selected because,
ever since Benzema has been barred from the team due to a sex-tape mixup with Mathieu Valbuena, Giroud has been France's best striker
by some distance.

The Manager - Didier Deschamps:

While Platini and Zidane are rightly seen as France's best players, which is hard to argue, due should be given to Didier Deschamps. He's won league titles and Champions League trophies as a player, took Monaco to a Champions League final, won a title managing Marseille, and was team captain of France's 1998 World Cup and 2000 Euro teams. By and large, he's been the best manager the French team has had since Jacques Santini in the early 2000s, even if he makes the occasional bewildering tactical mistake and some perplexing selection choices, like Evra/Sagna in Euro 2016 and using Pogba in a deep role during the Euro 2016 final.

The matches:

France has been drawn in Group C with Australia, Denmark, and Peru. This is a group that's winnable for Les Bleus, but given how many times they've unexpectedly poo poo the bed in tournaments they were favoured to do well in, it could just as easily be an embarrassing Group Stage exit as it could a semifinals/finals appearance. At present, here are their scheduled matches:

France-Australia: June 16th at 6:00am Eastern Standard Time
France-Peru: June 21st at 11:00am Eastern Standard Time
France-Denmark: June 26th at 10:00am Eastern Standard Time

So there, sorry for the length. Feel free to discuss how likely they are to bottle it, whether or not Zidane is waiting for the outcome of the World Cup to possibly take over from Deschamps, if you miss the entertainment of the Domenech era, the morally upstanding and definitely not compromised Michel Platini, where all the good French players will go now that they're not always permanently linked to Arsenal, just about anything, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
bonjour

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
How is Rami still getting picked for these things? Did he really get that much better?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Deschamps is loyal to His Guys. Evra had no business in international football in 2016, and yet...

It might be the comparative lack of quality, but Rami did actually have a pretty good season with Marseille. I was as surprised as you would be. It could also be that Marseille's center-back situation is just that bad, too.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hon hon hon

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
allez les bleus dans ma opinion

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

alphonse areola has a funny name

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

it's even funnier as a man's name

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Foo du fa fa

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

France will not win the World Cup this year imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I love all of the dramatic bullshit that surrounds the French squad.

Rabiot doesn't get picked because he said a thing, Thauvin has "personality issues," Benzema blackmails people who gently caress on camera, etc.

The Water Carrier continues the long line of mentalist French managers with aplomb.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

melodramatic bullshit is the one constant that unites all eras of French football. While we're reminiscing about Deschamps being a mentalist, let's not forget about Samir Nasri in 2014. Or more specifically, his self-destructive taste in women, lol. This is what makes the French team great.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
So really this thread should be sponsored by Drip Doctors is what you're saying.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

So really this thread should be sponsored by Drip Doctors is what you're saying.

They really missed a golden opportunity by not having a customer testimonial from Samir on their website.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stand by my earlier statement that drip doctors is the funniest non-football related football thing of our life time.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Cet op est tres long op

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

allez les bleus

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
allez a la maison lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

voulez vous coucher avec moi cest soir

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

zut alors!!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Putain de merde

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Le singe est sur la branche.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

fridge corn posted:

zut alors!!

réfrigérateur de maïs

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
France? Plus comme Frâne!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Extremely athletic looking team here

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
What happened to Valbuena, did the sex tape thing screw him up or what?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Basically. Deschamps is a mentalist who freaks out about squad disunity, so he's turfed Benzema, Ben Arfa, Nasri, Valbuena, and been very reluctant to call up Payet or Thauvin.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is deschamps the one that selects according to horoscope lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Has Tolisso done anything or did he get picked just because he plays for a big team?

I would take more than 5 midfielders but maybe all the rest are terrible

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oliwan posted:

Is deschamps the one that selects according to horoscope lol

No that was Raymond Domenech

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

julian assflange posted:

at the time of his dismissal domenech was France's longest-serving manager, lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jason Sextro posted:

at the time of his dismissal domenech was France's longest-serving manager, lmao

:pwn:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

julian assflange posted:

Ah yes, Raymond “I can’t pick Pires, he’s a Scorpio” Domenech

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
No Coman?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This is my team for 2018. Happy to be here, sad about Payet but of course these things happen.

If this team plays as well as they can given the talent they've got assembled, there's no reason they can't win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1009841677119512577

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

France literally play themselves into form every World Cup. I'm just glad they've won through already. They clearly have loads of talent all over the pitch. I am confident they'll be able to continue to improve.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Good. Niall Quinn, much like Oli Giroud, owns.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mbappe is gonna be a loving monster in 2022 Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

Ah yes, Raymond “I can’t pick Pires, he’s a Scorpio” Domenech

He wrote a book a few years back that softened attitudes and claimed he never used astrology to pick any team members but honestly he still comes off like a doddering ur-goon. I don't know if it ever got translated to english.

The part where he defends his interest in astrology is p loltastic though.

• Locked thread