Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 3 / 8 | Fortune 1 / 3

When Hepador presses the key into her hand, Alice nods. She goes around the room surreptitiously informing Cerzei, Jarla and Karina that they have the room to use both to spy on the neighbors and also just to chill out for a bit. The first to head up, she lays claim to the bed while waiting for the rest of her team to arrive. On the edge of sleep, can she hear voices from the next room?

Perception TN 40: 1d100 70
Perception TN 40 reroll: 1d100 100


No, that's just the sound of her own gentle snoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!


Urist Uristson CCCLXXXVII
Wounds: 10/11 Fate: 3/4

Urist is practically dragged to the local trading center by Jakob, the dwarf grumbling all the while. "I were having a perfectly good nap, ye know. I can shop at any time."

But when the shop keep open up a small barrel filled with dark liquid and Urist takes a sniff his attitude changes immediately.

"By Valaya! Is tha' a cask o' Bugman's First an' Worst? He thought he could go straight from ale ta' liquor an' filled every still he had wit tha stuff. They say it tasted nearly as bad as umgi slop! Me grandpap used to drink himself blind on this. I'll take two whole flask o' the stuff!"

With his new liquor, one to enjoy and one to use for grabbing rights, Urist purchases a room to retire to.

_____________

I'll purchase two portions of Good quality spirits, along with two metal flasks, for a total of 7 gc.

Then a Private Room for 10s.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





"Interesting"

Jarla continued to nurse her drink. Alice had come through again.

She sat back with her eyes closed. Thinking. Treat it like a job. Who was the mark? Who knew them? What do we know about them?

Information was... scarce. A slaver boss. With a kid, that boy he left in charge. Enough resources to set up a band off merry men, nets, clubs, bows, a horse. That would be something to go on normally when you could follow the money trail, but out here? Best bet would be to scout out that village to the north.

sullat posted:

"Big Boss will enjoy breaking you!" he shouts down. "The little men will do well in the deep tunnels, leading the children!"
What was he talking about tunnels, a mine? Or something else, maybe. Could ask one of the dwarves to look at the map, see if they could tell where a mine would be. Dwarves know about that kind of thing, right?

---

As it approaches night and the common room empties, Jarla joins the others in the room, but just for a moment. She dumps her bag and crossbow. " Lockable doors, valuable stuff." Silently, she mouths to Alice. "Keeping an ear out downstairs", crossing her fingers surreptitiously.

Grabbing her sword, dagger (force of habit, never know when it's gonna kick off), and her blanket, she heads back down to the common room. As everyone settles down, she remains awake. Quiet conversations in the dark. Footsteps of people leaving in the night. Muffled words through the walls and floors.

Perception - listen for suspicious stuff in the common room: 1d100 10 - Vs 31

It wasn't the most restful sleep she had ever had. Still better than outside.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 21:12

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi settles into the room, glad for a bit of close quarters after all that awful sky, and claims a spot against the thin wall. Leave the fluffy bed for the small one, she'd always preferred one of stone and lichen. The idea of sneaking around and eavesdropping on the umgi in the next room instead of beating answers out of them was a mite bizarre, but the little ones did have an odd way about them. There'd always be time for violence later.

As the minutes stretch into hours, a quiet soldier's slumber is broken by signs of life and noise from the neighboring room.

Perception (+20 Acute Hearing): 1d100 2

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


When Jarla mentions the trouble with the slavers and 'Big Boss', the innkeeper lowers his voice and says, "Not here, OK? We're going to have a meeting tomorrow at the mayor's house to talk about it. Maybe you can tell us more about it then. As far as a bath... well, there's the river. And we got a tub. But someone else is using it now. And we use it to wash clothes too... if you want, my girls can get your clothes washed tomorrow. For a few extra pence."

After Jakob asks about the other travelers, the innkeeper says, "I don't like to speak ill of my guests... so I'll leave it at that. They are using the tub now, they got here first."

Before Alice drifts off to sleep, she remembers the stories about the "Pie Week Riots". Some quarrelsome and fractious clan had made wild and unfounded allegations about corruption and favoritism in the famous annual 'North Moot Pie Contest'. It had gotten out of hand, with raised voices and the occasional fist-fight, and so the Emperor at the time had offered to judge a rematch, with the loser's clan being exiled. Naturally, the complaint clan was better at complaining than baking, and they lost, and went into exile...

When Karina pulls out her lute, there is some polite interest from the other guests, who quiet down to watch her. But after she starts merely tuning her lute, they go back to what they are doing, raising a toast to Hepador as he loudly compliments the beer.

Hepador hears all the gossip about the town healer. A young lass named Aldona Berrybranch… "she's not a proper physician, since you gotta go to a yuniver city and get a paper, but she learned from her gramma, who was an adventurer. She lives with her father now, they live alone after her mum got kilt by them bandits..." He also learns a fair amount about the gem collector's hobby. He trades merchants for them as they pass through town. They mostly come from the dwarves, although occasionally humans bring some through as well. He does recognize the silver coins, though. "Aye, they come from Lady Markussen, down in the valley. She started minting them a few years back. They seem good enuf…"

The smith tells Hepador, "Guess you can use the place. Don't make a mess. And, uh, charcoal don't grow on trees. Well, I guess it does, but still. You can use some for a silver." There are a number of ways to test coins. Here in the wilderness, though, your options are limited. The easiest and most reliable method is to simply smelt it down and see what comes out, but you end up with one fewer coin if you do that. As long as the coin is good, though, you still have the silver. You can also cut the coin to see if there's an impure or base core. Back in the Empire, Karl Franz, may he reign for a hundred years, had ordered that the silver shillings contain no more than one part copper to nine parts silver (pure silver being too soft) and that any coin that contained less than that would be taken out of circulation and destroyed. The coin Hepador melts down appears to be one twentieth copper, a superbly pure coin as these things go. The actual craftsmanship of the coin is fairly poor, however, and it has been clipped a few times.

For those who stay in the common room, the crowd eventually thins out as people go home to sleep in their own, no doubt more comfortable beds. Jarla keeps an eye out for people leaving, but doesn't see anyone attempting to sneak out.

In the private room, Alice's light snoring is unfazed by any noise, but when Hepador raises his 'huzzah' from the common room, Cerzi hears a muffled conversation.

"Hells, what are the little bastards up to now?"
"Who cares, just ignore it. I hope I never see this place again. Halflings give me the creeps."
"Can't wait to get to Waldengart. Gonna take a bath a night until the money runs out. Maybe two baths a night!"
"And then? You'll be broke in less than a month."
"Ah, I'll figure something out. Maybe go down to the gold mines, strike it rich. Or find someone else who's struck it rich. What are you gonna do?"
"With all this in me pocket? Gotta find some place to settle down. Sick of sleeping on rocks, in the rain. What about you, Kaspar?"
A third, familiar voice answers. "I'm gonna get some loving sleep, first. Look, Big Boss is going places. You guys should come with me. Be nice to have some friends, and we'll go far with him."
"I was in the army once, I ain't going back."
"He'll cut your throat. Surprised he didn't have us killed today."
"Just think about it, OK?" says Kaspar. The voices quiet down.


Hepador: I have no idea how much charcoal you'd need to do smithing stuff, but the smith will let you use the forge as long as you clean up afterwards and pay 1 s for the charcoal.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 0 / 3

Nestled within a deep slumber in a cozy spot by the fireside, Jakob woke with a start when the coinsmith Hepador LaLoche came bustling into the commons room bearing several armloads of beers for everyone, raising quite a ruckus in the process. Alice, Cerzi, and Urist had either taken their beers and left or else they'd gotten rooms of their own, because they certainly weren't in the commons room any more.

Bleary-eyed but upright, Jakob looked around him and saw who was still left in the inn's main hall so late at night. He knew Jarla Redlich some and Hepador LaLoche, of course, then there was the performer Karina Ruprecht in the corner tooling away on her lute. In the opposite corner lounged the injured merchant Balderico Marsala and his daughter Renata, along with his hired help, the ex-soldier Ladwich Rumpff and the hunter Johann Fridingen. All of them were still awake, for the most part. Jakob and the merchant made eye contact and nodded to each each other.

Freshly awakened and with a large frothy beer sitting in his hands, Jakob rubbed his eyes and began to make small talk.

"So, that was quite the fine 'how do you do' we got back there, wouldn't y'say? Border Princes, indeed!"
Jakob Gossips: Where is Balderico Marsala's party headed?: 1d100 18 - Success!
Jakob Gossips: How did the girl's mother die?: 1d100 81 - "My apologies, mister, that may have been a mite impersonal of me t'ask."
Jakob Gossips: What else do you know about the area?: 1d100 28 - Success!
Jakob Gossips: What would you do if you caught up to Kaspar?: 1d100 57 - "Don't mind me, just curious is all."

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 17:12

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 0>3/3 Fp

"The mayor's house? Where's that?" Jarla makes a note of the meeting place and time for the next day.

---

Jarla knocked on the door quietly. It opened and she stepped inside to collect her things.

Quietly - "No news yet".

Cerzi fills her in on the news, and she gestures towards the stairs, back downstairs where they could talk more openly.

As they stepped into the common room, Jarla prods the others, trying to gather them into a conspiratorial huddle.

"So that's them what sold us out? They'll be coming down for breakfast soon. Pretty sure they'll know who we are. Things will get nasty. Not good for business here.

But we know the slavers are a problem. So does the mayor. Might pay us to deal with these three official like. What you think? "

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 14:35

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi's face tightens as she hears the conspiracy next door, her urge to repay their grudge right then and there quite evident. She resists the urge, though, particularly given Alice's delicate slumber. The poor waif had bled enough for one day... though the next would almost certainly bring more bloodshed. Such was the way of the world. When Jarla arrives, she fills the bounty hunter in on what she'd heard... and likewise, again, when they make it to the common room.

In the huddle, she rumbles, "I'm not about to give them the chance to run. I say we gut them all here and now, pay the innkeep for his trouble. Mayor'd pay either way if he's so inclined. I'm no expert on umgit ways, though, so what do ya think, lass?" The last bit is directed firmly at one Alice McMeal, attorney at law.

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


Jakob and Balderico exchange a few words. "Reckon we'll head out first thing in the morning. Sick of the Empire, going to start a new life here. Travelling merchant, maybe start up a shop, who knows? Sell this stuff to the miners first, get some scratch. They say there's a silver mine down in a charming little village called 'Thief Farm'. It's southeast a ways. Don't know too much about this area. Greasy Diggings is up north of the swamps. Going to stay away from there, don't fancy going into the mines meself. That bastard? I want my money back. Maybe give him a good thrashing, right Ladwich?"
"I'll wring his loving neck" growls Ladwich.
"Well. What about you? Going to find the gold mines and strike it rich? Stay here with these halflings?"

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 0 / 3

Jakob responded to the mining merchant Balderico in kind:

"Thief Farm, eh? Quaint name, that! I don't suppose I might to mosey on down to a resource-rich place like that someday, try my luck in the caves and mines underground - - or somewhere thereabouts. I'm a bowyer by trade and upbringing, so I always have that to fall back on - so long as I can find good and proper supplies out here..."

Jakob paused to take a deep, long gulp of beer and to wipe a frothy mustache off his face.

Jakob tests his Common Knowledge (Halfling): Middleshire: 1d100 49

"Truth be told, I didn't even know that Middleshire was located here of all places until just today! I had heard stories of course, of exiled clans and riots and and whatnot in the past. I wonder if I have any relatives here..."

Jakob took another long pull from his mug as he thought back to his family heritage lessons. He gulped the beer down heartily as he tried to remember any family names associated with Middleshire.

Jakob tests his Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry): Middleshire: 1d100 90

"Ehh, it's possible!" suggested Jakob, licking the foam off his lips. "Anyway, might stay here a bit, see if there aren't jobs to do around town-"

Jakob's rambling was interrupted when he caught sight of Jarla, Alice, and Cerzi suddenly appearing from down the hall.

"S'cuse me misters. Miss." Jakob polished off his drink and excused himself from the merchant and his men, in order to speak with the other travelers in private.

Jarla Redlich posted:

"So that's them what sold us out? They'll be coming down for breakfast soon. Pretty sure they'll know who we are. Things will get nasty. Not good for business here.

But we know the slavers are a problem. So does the mayor. Might pay us to deal with these three official like. What you think? "

Cerzi Foecleaver posted:

"I'm not about to give them the chance to run. I say we gut them all here and now, pay the innkeep for his trouble. Mayor'd pay either way if he's so inclined. I'm no expert on umgit ways, though, so what do ya think, lass?"

"Pers'nally-" Jakob interjected, "I think we should sneak inside their rooms, subdue 'em, tie 'em up and march 'em through the town square - - first thing in the morning."

"In the meantime, I need to get to some sleep. Wake me up at dawn, or whenever this plan of yours might be happening."

Dragging his feet, Jakob shuffled back to his blanket in the spot by the fire he'd been napping at. He was still exhausted and two pints in, after all.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 4 / 8 | Fortune 3 / 3

quote:

I'm no expert on umgit ways, though, so what do ya think, lass?

Alice rubs her chin thoughtfully. There are a few different ways this could play out, and given the hospitality Middleshire has shown them she's reluctant to lead with spilling blood all over their nice clean floors.

"My preference would be to take 'em alive. A man like Kaspar survives on his reputation, which we can use to control him. We have hard evidence that he sold us out, but at the same time we escaped the ambush which is going to make 'Big Boss' suspicious. If we play our cards right Kaspar could be useful to us, although blackmail is a risky method to control someone. At the very least if you want to chop his head off we should have some sort of trial for the benefit of the town."

Pulling out her writing kit and book of laws Alice spends a moment preparing a document:

quote:

Kaspar Wike and Associates are Hereby Served Notice To Appear Before The Magistrate or Equivalent Official of the town of Middleshire, Borderlands, to answer charges of:
  • Breach of Contract with the Undersigned Parties
  • Conspiracy to Commit Unlawful Deprivation Of Liberty, Same
  • Accessory to Bodily Harm, Same
  • Constructive Homicide of Certain Unnamed Persons Relating to Above Offenses
Here are listed the signatures

Failure to Comply with this Lawful Writ will be taken as Evidence.

Filed this day of Date, Middleshire, Borderlands.

She blows the on the ink to dry it.

"Now we just have to find a judge, magistrate, sheriff or what passes for one here."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina

"Do you really think they'll be able to enforce it here, even if they accept it? This Big Boss guy has some kind of operation going on, and it sounds like it's been going on for a while. Can't do that without being either really good, or working with corrupt officials."

Oh, boy, is that ever something Karina knows about. Granted, it was usually minor stuff like fudging the numbers for a permit in exchange for a bottle of fine wine, or looking the other way when the performers got a little rowdy. All in the name of civility. Honest.

"If we're gonna be here for a bit, I'll try to ingratiate us to the crowd. I was too frazzled last night to play but I think I can handle it now."

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 2 / 3

Jakob Surrety woke with a start yet again, this time because Alice was shaking him by the shoulder and holding something out for him to inspect. It was a piece of paper alright, from the look of it. It was almost morning, as far as Jakob could tell.

Jakob's mind fluttered as he snatched at snippets of the dreams he'd just been having, dreams based upon leftover thoughts from the night before. He tried to grasp at what he'd been thinking about before he went to sleep the night prior. He'd been thinking about heraldry and family history, hadn't he? Wasn't he related to someone from an exiled halfling clan somewhere down the line? He'd had a dream that he was down by the Aver river with his fourth cousin twice removed and they were carving wooden boats together.

Jakob tests his Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry): Middleshire (FP): 1d100 13 - Success!

Oh, that's right! Jakob had to have some distant relatives based somewhere in Middleshire! What was that family branch's name again?

Jakob's Middleshire Ancestry: Halfling Surname: 1d100 62 - "Manglepie"

"Of course: the Manglepies!" gasped Jakob as he finally stirred awake, seized with the thrilling moment of realization. He received a few curious looks from the others in the room as the other sleepers rumbled and stirred from his outburst.

At Alice's prompting, Jakob quickly scrawled something that looked roughly like a "J" and an "S" on the piece of paper offered to him and passed it on back to the young halfling Lawyer.

"So is that all y'think we need t'do, Ms. McMeal? Alert the local authorities?" Jakob hissed in a conspiratorial whisper to those listening.

"I'll do ya one better. Let's take these guys into custody ourselves and save the town the trouble of sending in their own armed men in at the crack a' dawn."

"Karina-" Jakob said, turning to the entertainer, "D'ya think y'kin convince the Innkeep with your charming ways to get us a spare key to Kaspar's room? Barring that, d'ya think ya could grab the key while the innkeep's not looking? We need to get in there, real quiet-like..."

"Jarla-" Jakob whispered to the human bounty hunter, "If you had the room key d'you think you could sneak inside Kaspar's room and bind them all up with rope? I've got some extra rope spare in case you need it..."

"Actually, Jarla-" Jakob sighed, getting up and rummaging about his pack. "I may as well join you and Cerzi in case you'll be needing backup. I'll get my things ready. I may not be much to look at but I can help you look all the more intimidatin' in there just the same."

Jakob grabs his pack, puts on his kit, and makes sure that his sword and his shield are ready.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 3/3 Fp

"Alright. Net and rope are in the room. If we can't get a key we could try the window. If we can catch them asleep or half-awake, perfect. If not, we try and get them to surrender quietly. We've got the numbers, and the drop on them."

She steps away towards the fire, checks her leathers for damp, and collects her dry things. "Get you up there."

Tooling up montage!

Jacket on!
Bolt nocked!
Bolas spun!
Hat, straightened!
Net, grabbed!

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 2 / 3

While everyone else was still waking up and gathering their things together, Jakob quietly scurried on over to to the room that Urist Uriston was sleeping in. Thankfully, Urist's room was positioned far away from the room that Kaspar and his men were staying in, so Jakob didn't have to worry about waking anyone he didn't intend to.

Jakob knocked lightly on the door, and it opened slightly at his touch. Urist must have passed out without remembering to lock his door - the Dwarf had mentioned being dead tired! Jakob peeked inside and entered.

Urist was inside, sprawled across a pallet mattress under his blanket. Two metal flasks and two bottles of Bugman's First and Worst sat on the bedside table next to a guttered candle. Jakob went up to the slumbering dwarf and took a deep breath.

Gently at first, Jakob started shaking Urist's shoulder.

"Urist, Urist!" Jakob hissed. "Wake up!" The shaking intensified until Urist grumbled.

"Wake up, Urist! We've found Kaspar and his men! They're right here!"

Jakob reeled backwards as he dodged the Dwarf's ham-fisted blow meant for someone else. Urist was just waking and getting his bearings.

"Urist, it's me, Jakob! Calm down," the Halfling insisted. "They're here - Kaspar and his men - they're staying in another room, and we're going to tie 'em up and bring 'em to justice!"

"Get yer things and meet us in the commons room."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 4 / 8 | Fortune 3 / 3


Vicissitude posted:

"Do you really think they'll be able to enforce it here, even if they accept it? This Big Boss guy has some kind of operation going on, and it sounds like it's been going on for a while. Can't do that without being either really good, or working with corrupt officials."

Alice nods sadly.

"Honestly? I doubt it. But if we have to fight them anyway 'I tried to enforce a legal writ' sounds a lot better than 'I murdered three men in their beds because they crossed me'. Maybe the brigands around here don't care about the law, but I do."

Finding the innkeeper, Alice makes a request for the key and asks who she should talk to about resolving a dispute:

Charm (Innkeeper) TN53 Gossip (Innkeeper) TN53: 2#1d100 6 72

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


It is just before dawn, and the innkeeper and his family are bustling around, getting ready for another day. The rich smell of freshly baked bread wafts in from the kitchen, along with the smell of sizzling eggs and bacon. The innkeeper looks up at Alice, "Uh? A dispute? I mean, the village council decides most things. And we're meeting this morning. We were hoping to see you there, but uh, if you have a dispute or something, let me know? I mean, was there a problem with the accommodation? You can always let me know and I will try to fix it..."

Jakob vaguely remembers a story from his grandmother. "My ma was married to one o' them Manglepies. She left her husband and stayed back up here, thank the heavens..." There were a few other families he remembers as being part of the exiles; the Willowroots and the Mayfields.

Jarla finishes gearing up, her clothes sufficiently clean of the dust and grime of the long journey from civilization. Cerzi, Hepador and Karina are in the common room as well, while Urist is gathering his wits in his private room. As everyone is finishing whispering about their plans, you hear a shouted voice from upstairs. Kaspar's.
"OY! INNSKEEP! WHERE'S OUR BLASTED CLOTHES? THEY BETTER BE CLEAN! AND HURRY UP AND BRING US SOME BREAKFAST, I'VE GOT PLACES TO BE!"

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 3≥2/3 Fp

Jarla grabbed her ragged clothes and folded then into a pile. She gestures to Jacob to follow, pressing them into his hands.

"Ok, you're an innkeeper. You need to deliver a pile of clean clothes to a bunch of ungrateful sods during breakfast rush. So you rush up, quickly but not running, and dump then at the door, heading back down to finish breakfast. When I signal, make your way up the stairs, go to their door, dump these. Knock loudly and go back down the hall as if you're leaving".

"How good are you at being quiet?" She asks Cerzi.

She moved for the stairs. Not rushing, casually. She listened for the slam of the door upstairs and headed on up quietly. As she ascended, she pulled her net free with one hand, ready.

Short steps. She walks up the stairs carefully. At the top, she signals Jacob.

As he clomps up the stairs she uses his footfalls to mask her own. She waits beside their door for Jacob to finish his circuit. Waiting for the loud whomph of clothing dropped by the door. Waiting for the knock, for the departing footsteps.

Waiting to throw a net in their face.

Move silently: 1d100 63
FP - reroll: 1d100 4

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2018 around 23:14

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 2 / 3

Holding Ms. Redlich's tattered change of clothes in his arms, Jakob knocked impatiently on the door to Kaspar's room, pounding heavily on the wood near the frame.

He tossed the crumpled pile of women's clothes unceremoniously on the ground before the door and hollered in a voice deeper and harsher than usual, calling out as he ambled back down the hall.

"Yer clothes, messirs! Breakfast'll be ready by-and-by." He stomped off towards the commons room to grab his pack and shield.

Once he'd made it down to the Inn's main hall, he hurriedly called out to the merchant Balderico Marsala, grabbing the middle-aged man's attention. The merchant's hired men Ladwich and Johann were also within earshot, just getting ready to leave.

"Balderico -" Jakob approached the humans and spoke in low tones. "I don't know if y've noticed, but Kaspar n' his men are here at the inn. Yes! That Kaspar. Could y'send yer men out back so they don't think to escape through a window?"

"I'd join ya myself but I kinda swore myself to help out Ms. Redlich if things went awry, so-"

Jakob was cut off by the sound of a man bellowing from down the hall. He readied his sword and shield and moved to support Jarla!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi looks at Jarla, then down at her armored frame. It was possible that there was someone as uniquely unsuited for being quiet as her in the surrounding miles, but that'd be a rare treat. She says, "About as well as you'd think. Not much call for sneaking when you're on the line." She grins, "drat good thing our room's up that way, yeah? Nothing strange about a heavy-footed dawi grabbin' her gear before she takes off for the day."

True to her word, she just tromps up the stairs. If nothing else, her footsteps will cover Jarla's... and she'll be right behind to deliver some righteous dwarf justice to the ne'er-do-wells inside the room.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche

Hepador walked over to Balderico and crew, his hatchet swinging by his hip.

"Alright lads, looks to me like we've got three teams. One stationed in front of Kasper's door. One In the commons to provide support. And one by the window to catch stragglers. Jarla's organizing team one with our heavy hitters. I want anyone handy with a bow or sling outside with me on team three. If anyone makes it out the window or the front door not in the custody of one of ours, we take 'em down at range. If things get out of hand for team one, we wait for them to get out of Kaspar's room and fire through the window. Everyone clear? ... Perfect. Then lets catch these rats.

Hepador walked toward the exit, but stopped halfway out the door. He jumped as though remembering something important and bustled back into the Inn, making for the desk of the Innsman.

"You've a lovely Inn. And a lovely town. Thank you for all of your hospitality, Mi'lord. Not enough of that to be found in Malaria Coast." He said, laying down ten silvers on the table. "For any inconvenience my team may cause. Take my advice and pop into the back for a minute. Make absolutely certain that tonight's breakfast is cooked just right. Take your time with it." He smiled widely and, before there was any time for questions, hopped out the door pulling his sling from his pocket.

Organizing bow-team. Taking position outside, below Kaspar's window, sling at the ready. Paying the Innkeep for the ruckus we're about to cause and trying to give him heads up to lay low for a couple minutes.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina
2/3 Fortune

Prince of Space posted:

"Karina-" Jakob said, turning to the entertainer, "D'ya think y'kin convince the Innkeep with your charming ways to get us a spare key to Kaspar's room? Barring that, d'ya think ya could grab the key while the innkeep's not looking? We need to get in there, real quiet-like..."

Karina looks shocked, offended even, and puts a hand to her chest.

"What do you take me for? Some back alley cutpurse? My good sir, I am a cheap floozy looking for a good time. I just need to look the part. I'm sure I'll have that key in no time."

All it takes is a little gold at a tailor and Karina's looking as confident as she feels. Good stuff, soft, and accentuating her decolletage. Perfect for a would-be hanger-on to someone important. Back to the bar she saunters up to the barman.

"Get a gal a drink?"

Charm vs 42 reroll: 1d100 21
Oh, getting two sets of Best quality clothes for 20g.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2018 around 10:29

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


The barman looked nervously at Hepador, as he made his veiled warning. He took the coins, and took Karina by the arm. "I don't know what's going on, but why don't you come into the kitchen? That sounded rather ominous? You can get a drink in there." In the kitchen, a few of the innkeep's family are bustling around with breakfast. He pours a beer from one of the kegs. "Do you like a bit of lemon in your morning beer?" In his haste, he appears to have left a ring of keys on the bar.

The Baldericos and their guards are just stepping in for breakfast when Jakob runs past them with his warning. "I don't know... maybe we should..." the elder says nervously.
"Stay here, then," replies Ladwich and Johann. They grab their weapons and head around the back with Hepador. A few minutes later the two merchants come out, holding their crossbows.

Upstairs, Jarla waits by the door, with Jakob and Cerzi as backup. After Jakob knocks on the door, a voice from the inside says, "About drat time." The door opens. Kaspar, in his undershorts, opens the door, only to be greeted by Jarla's net to the face. The look on his face as the net wraps around his head and torso, weights and hooks pulling tight, is something to remember. He staggers back a few feet, saying, "arrggg!" Behind him, the two scouts look up, surprised. They are also wearing their underclothes, and are busy packing up their bags. Their bows are unstrung, weapons still in their sheaths in a corner.

http://orokos.com/roll/636909: 1d100 41 Jarla with the net! +30 for surprise.
http://orokos.com/roll/636910: 1d100 100 Kaspar with the Agi test! The defendants are surprised and will not act this round! Upstairs team is up, what do you want to do next?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi charges in and swings wildly at Kaspar, but given that she was trying not to kill him... well, she doesn't come up with much.

Swift Attack: 2#1d100 89 71

Spent FP on rerolls, but they were worse.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 2 -> 1 / 3

As soon as the bounty hunter's net was thrown over Kaspar's surprised, ridiculous face, Jakob pushed past the buffoonish con-man and made a beeline for the corner of the room holding the three men's swords.

> Jakob moves past Kaspar and into the corner of the room with the swords in it!

One of the scouts advanced towards the weapons, too. Clearly he'd had a similar idea.

Jakob held up his shield and physically pushed the man back, away from the stash of weapons.

Jakob maneuvers the Scout away from the weapons!: 1d100 72
Jakob maneuvers the Scout away from the weapons! (FP): 1d100 19 - Success!

> Jakob positions himself between the men and their hand weapons!

"Thought y'd never see us again, didja?" Jakob warned, raising his weapon threateningly. "Well surprise, suckers!"

He couldn't help but grin fiendishly at the situation. Payback felt good.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 2≥1/3 Fp

"There's bowmen on the windows"

Jarla pulls out her bolas.

"Your exits are blocked".

She takes aim at the third man, getting them up to speed.

"So how about hands up. Stop wiggling. Surrender. We'd prefer to take you alive. But it isn't necessary.

1Fp for action, throw bolas.

Aimed shot - bolas: 1d100 65

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 14:05

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 4 / 8 | Fortune 3 / 3


quote:

The innkeeper looks up at Alice, "Uh? A dispute? I mean, the village council decides most things. And we're meeting this morning. We were hoping to see you there, but uh, if you have a dispute or something, let me know? I mean, was there a problem with the accommodation? You can always let me know and I will try to fix it..."

Alice looks shocked at the suggestion the hospitality has been somehow lacking.

"Oh no, no problem with the rooms, you've been an excellent host and your breakfast looks highly enticing. My dispute is with a third party, and I'm sure the council will be able to help...mediate between us. Or something."

(During the ruckus, Alice is across the street watching the window with her new bow ready.)

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


One of the scouts makes a break for the window! In his haste, he becomes unbalanced, and falls. There is a cry of pain from outside. With Kaspar netted, and Jakob standing over the weapons with a bared sword, the remaining scout in the room raises his hands. "It were Kaspar's idea!" he says. "Here, you can take his gold, I'll leave you be!"
"No hard feelings, eh?" says Kaspar. "Just life in the Borderlands? Here, we can split the haul, maybe we can work something out?"

Outside, they see a man burst out of the window. His foot catches on something and he lands heavily, spraining his arm. He sees the armed men and halfings looming over him and shouts out, "Help! Murder! Help!"

From some of the other houses, a few halfings are opening doors and windows, seeing what all the commotion is. Some have clubs and slings, holding them warily, but not threateningly. The storekeeper from the general store comes out, wearing a bathrobe, face lathered for shaving. He approaches Alice, carefully staying away from her nocked arrow. "I am Mayor Friedger Willowroot. What is going on here in our town?"

sullat fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 14:14

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 1/3 Fp

Jarla watches the man leap out the window and shakes her head slightly, rolling her eyes as he screams.

"Let's talk about this downstairs. Hands."

Jarla takes out her manacles, and fastens Kaspar's hands together (roughly if he doesn't cooperate) through the net with with a k-chunk. She whips the net off him to clear the doorway and pulls him to his feet, gently pushing him towards the door with Cerzi.

Separate them. Make sure Kaspar doesn't get the chance to threaten or bribe the scout. It was so much easier when you worked in a team.

She looked over to the scout. "Great. We'll want the details." Pulls some rope from her bag and approaches him. "Should go fine for you if you spill. Hands out, I'm going to bind them. We'll clear this up in no time. Now let's go get you some clothes."

Once both are secure, she stuffs her net back in her bag, grabs her bolas, and leads the scout down the stairs. "Maybe the landlord'll let you grab a sausage before we talk to the mayor."

Not the first time she'd got the drop on a sleeping mark. If they could put the scout at ease, show him some respect, he was less likely to cause problems. More likely to give more information on Kaspar or the Big Boss. And that puts more pressure on Kaspar, so he would give up more. All looking good.

pre:
Name: Jarla Redlich

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT| WP | FEL|
Current   : | 38 | 45 | 33 | 34 | 46 | 31 | 33 | 31 |

Secondary : | A |  W | SB | TB | M |MAG| IP | FP|
Current   : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |

Skills:
Common Knowledge (the empire)
Follow Trail
Gossip
Intimidate
Outdoor Survival
Perception
Search
Shadowing
Silent Move
Speak Language (Riekspiel)

Talents:
Lightning reflexes
Marksman
Resistance to Disease
Rover
Sp.Wpn. Entangling
Sharpshooter

Trappings:

Wide brimmed hat
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots 
Ragged clothing consisting of a ragged dress and underclothes
Belt
a tattered cloak 
Purse w/ 1gc 17ss 9bp
Crossbow w/ 13 bolts
Good Sword w/ 2 silver coins nailed to the pommel.
Net
Best quality Bolas
Boot dagger
Light armour (L. Jerkin, Jack & Skullcap)
Manacles
sling bag
5 wooden spikes
10 yd rope
poor quality tent
poor quality tinderbox
poor quality soap
blanket 
Waterskin
a wooden tankard 
a wooden cutlery set 

XP\Advances: 400≥0/1≥5  (Agi x2, WS x1, BSx2)

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 20:34

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


The long trip from the Empire, capped by yesterday's fight and today's scuffle has certainly been draining. But through it all, everyone feels stronger, more alive, more confident. Approximately 400 experience points more confident, to be precise.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi contents herself to look really drat angry and impress upon them all the idea that trying to pull anything would be just about the dumbest thing they've done since betraying them. She growls, "Just give me a reason, I dare you all."

Spent that XP on filling out my WS and AGI advances!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 6 / 10 | Fortune 3 / 3

Alice resists the temptation to put an arrow or a good kicking into the man who fell out the window, contenting herself with a smug look and tutting at his foolishness.

sullat posted:

"I am Mayor Friedger Willowroot. What is going on here in our town?"

Unnocking the arrow, Alice turns to Mayor Willowroot with a disarming smile and a mostly true if heavily edited explanation of events.

"Your honour, I must first apologize for the disturbance at this unseemly hour. I'm afraid this man and his travelling companions are wanted criminals who have grievously wronged a number of people, including myself. A licensed bounty hunter and a properly deputized posse comitatus are arresting them to bring them to trial before the appropriate local authority, which I believe to be yourself and the council of Middleshire. Given the nature of the crimes they stand accused of we didn't want to risk them fleeing justice, but I assure you every effort has been made to ensure they are taken alive and unharmed."

She gingerly prods the groaning man lying in the street with her toe.

"He'll live."

Charm (Mayor) TN 53: 1d100 6

Taking 2 wounds, +5 int, and Savvy.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 1 / 3

With his sword raised and pointed at the two men getting bound with rope, Jakob sidled up to the window and shouted outside to the crowd that had gathered outside. More of the villagers had circled around the one scout who'd jumped from the window.

"Hepador! Alice! You got things handled down there?" From the look of things, the jumper had sprained his wrist in the fall, and all those crossbows pointed at him he wasn't going anywhere.

"We're binding up Kaspar and the other baddie as we speak. We'll meet you outside!"

First things first. While Jarla dealt with the knots and Cerzi kept the captives from thinking of going anywhere, Jakob kept his sword raised but cast his eyes about the room, performing a quick visual search.

Jakob quickly searches the Inn's room for stashes of gold or other valuables!: 1d100 89 - No such luck!

Once Jarla had the two men good and tied up at the wrists, Jakob performed a perfunctory pat-down search of their pockets, belts and boots, looking for any knives or wallets or other bits of interest.

Jakob searches Kaspar and the Scout for weapons and wallets!: 1d100 64 - Nothing found!

Jakob shrugged and got ready to move the dastardly duo of slaver-collaborators outside the inn at swordpoint. Slow and steady would win this race!

pre:
Name: Jakob Surrety
Race: Halfling
Height: 4’0”
Weight: 80 lbs.
Hair: Ash Blonde
Eyes: Brown
Mark: Broken Nose
Siblings: 2
Sign: Grungni’s Baldric - Sign of Martial Pursuits
Age: 36
Birthplace: The Moot
Favorite Pie: Beef & Beer
Career: Militiaman

PROFILE:
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Starting  : | 21 | 40 | 20 | 27 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36 |
Advances  : | 10 | 05 | 05 | 05 | 10 | --  | -- | -- | 
Taken     : | 10 | -- | -- | 05 | 10 | --  | -- | -- |
Current   : | 31 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 52 | 30  | 29 | 36 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 10 | 2  | 3  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 3  |
Advances  : | -  |  2 | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Taken     : | -  | -- | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Current   : | 1  | 10 | 2  | 3  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 3  |

SKILLS:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry) (INT)
Animal Care (INT)
Common Knowledge (Halflings) (INT)
Dodge Blow (AG)
Gossip (+10%) (FEL)
Outdoor Survival (INT)
Perception (INT)
Search (INT)
Speak Language (Halfling) (Reikspiel) (INT)
Swim (S)
Trade: Bowyer (AG)
Trade: Cook (INT)

TALENTS:
Night Vision (30 yards)
Rapid Reload (Reduces reload times by a half action.)
Resistance to Chaos (+10% to Will Power Tests to resist magic and Chaos effects, Chaos mutation immunity; No magic skill.) 
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow (+1 to damage rolls with melee)
Strong-Minded (No Insanity checks until 8 IP)

TRAPPINGS:
Leather Armour (Leather Jack [1 Body, 1 Arms], Leather Skullcap [1 Head]), Uniform
Common clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak, Belt)
Moot-Leather Belt
Sling Bag
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
Rations (1 week)
Bread, Loaf (stale)
Cheese (1/4 lb)
Water Skin (full)
Antitoxin Kit (3 uses)
5x Healing Poultices
Rope (20 yards)
Spade
Lantern
3x Lamp Oil (4 hrs/use)
Tinder Box (6 uses)
22x Matches
20x Marbles
Large Pouch
Uncut Quartz
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Sword [Damage: SB+1]
Shield [Damage: SB-2] [+10% Parry] [-10% BS on incoming ranged] 
Sling [Damage: 3] [16/32 range, Half reload] (with ammunition) 
Bow [Damage: 3] [24/48 range, Half reload] (with 20 Arrows) 
Coinpurse: 1 gc 17 ss 8 p

ADVANCES:
Free: +5% Toughness
400 XP: +10% WS, +10% AGI 

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 03:29

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


Jarla leads the prisoners downstairs, where they are reunited with their fallen comrade. The nervous scout (you recall his name as Martin Crull... his injured friend is Nicolas Staal) mutters, "it were Kaspar's idea. Him an' Big Boss, I din't want to..."

The Mayor nods at Alice's story. "Out here, most people find 'justice' to be a rather ad-hoc business. Good to see someone following the proper rules! We don't usually meddle in the affairs of outsiders, but you, you're practically family!" the mayor rubs his chin thoughtfully, and then looks at the hand, covered in soap. He sighs. "Put them in the basement of the inn," he orders the innskeeper. "We'll question them in a bit. But first, come to the council meeting and we'll hear your side of the story. Ah, give me about half an hour to clean up..."

Jakob searches the men's packs and finds three purses of 25 gc each. He checks their boots and other clothes for concealed knives, and doesn't find anything. Their packs also have their other gear, mostly camping gear, cooking gear, utensils, and a dagger or three. One of the innskeeper's daughters comes in with the men's clean clothes. She grabs their boots and belts, and says, "It's a bit chilly in the basement, gonna bring them their socks and shoes..."

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 1 / 3

Jakob pocketed each of the three purses he'd discovered in the men's packs as soon as he'd found them - judging by the weight and sound alone they represented a hefty sum of coin for anyone, but now was not the time to get greedy counting it all out. Besides, someone was coming from down the hall!

One of the innkeeper's daughters poked her head into the room, holding a large armful of the men's cleaned and folded clothes. As she set the loads of clothes down onto the beds, she inquired about whether she could be allowed to provide Kaspar and his two men (Martin and Nicolas, they were) with their footwear.

Innkeep's Daughter posted:

"It's a bit chilly in the basement, gonna bring them their socks and shoes..."

"They complainin' already, eh? Oh, those Humans and their love of shoes! No, lass, I'd rather y'not go down there, not alone at least. I'll join ya. Can't trust these slaver types."

Jakob joins the Innkeep's Daughter and anyone else that's still in the basement with Kaspar and his men!

On the way downstairs, Jakob tries to strike up a conversation!
Jakob Gossips: asking the Innkeep's Daughter about any Manglepies in the area!: 1d100 65

pre:
Name: Jakob Surrety
Race: Halfling
Height: 4’0”
Weight: 80 lbs.
Hair: Ash Blonde
Eyes: Brown
Mark: Broken Nose
Siblings: 2
Sign: Grungni’s Baldric - Sign of Martial Pursuits
Age: 36
Birthplace: The Moot
Favorite Pie: Beef & Beer
Career: Militiaman

PROFILE:
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Starting  : | 21 | 40 | 20 | 27 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36 |
Advances  : | 10 | 05 | 05 | 05 | 10 | --  | -- | -- | 
Taken     : | 10 | -- | -- | 05 | 10 | --  | -- | -- |
Current   : | 31 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 52 | 30  | 29 | 36 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 10 | 2  | 3  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 3  |
Advances  : | -  |  2 | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Taken     : | -  | -- | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Current   : | 1  | 10 | 2  | 3  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 3  |

SKILLS:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry) (INT)
Animal Care (INT)
Common Knowledge (Halflings) (INT)
Dodge Blow (AG)
Gossip (+10%) (FEL)
Outdoor Survival (INT)
Perception (INT)
Search (INT)
Speak Language (Halfling) (Reikspiel) (INT)
Swim (S)
Trade: Bowyer (AG)
Trade: Cook (INT)

TALENTS:
Night Vision (30 yards)
Rapid Reload (Reduces reload times by a half action.)
Resistance to Chaos (+10% to Will Power Tests to resist magic and Chaos effects, Chaos mutation immunity; No magic skill.) 
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow (+1 to damage rolls with melee)
Strong-Minded (No Insanity checks until 8 IP)

TRAPPINGS:
Leather Armour (Leather Jack [1 Body, 1 Arms], Leather Skullcap [1 Head]), Uniform
Common clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak, Belt)
Moot-Leather Belt
Sling Bag
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
Rations (1 week)
Bread, Loaf (stale)
Cheese (1/4 lb)
Water Skin (full)
Antitoxin Kit (3 uses)
5x Healing Poultices
Rope (20 yards)
Spade
Lantern
3x Lamp Oil (4 hrs/use)
Tinder Box (6 uses)
22x Matches
20x Marbles
Large Pouch
Uncut Quartz
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Sword [Damage: SB+1]
Shield [Damage: SB-2] [+10% Parry] [-10% BS on incoming ranged] 
Sling [Damage: 3] [16/32 range, Half reload] (with ammunition) 
Bow [Damage: 3] [24/48 range, Half reload] (with 20 Arrows) 
Coinpurse: 1 gc 17 ss 8 p -> 76 gc 17 ss 8 p

ADVANCES:
Free: +5% Toughness
400 XP: +10% WS, +10% AGI 

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 1/3 Fp

"Hey, don't do that."

Jarla stops the innkeeper's daughter, as she finishes securing the men in the basement. She steps out of the basement so the men can't hear, and gestures the woman over.

"They're a sneaky bunch. We don't want them having anything they could use to escape - hidden daggers, lockpicks, even -" she picks up a boot from the pile the young lady was carrying, and points "- the sharp edge off a boot. So lets leave them in their clothes - you washed them, so we know there's no surprises hidden there. They'll survive while the council meeting's on. Can I see those things?"

JArla reaches for the other boots and socks the woman carries.

"Another thing. Let's say they are real smart, and they get out anyway. Keep their shoes. Makes it harder for them to get away. Does this door lock? If not let's wedge something under it."

If nothing can be found, Jarla will use a spike to wedge the door from the other side, with the men secured below.

She also turns the socks inside out, shakes out the boots, and ties all the laces together to make them easy to carry.

Search boots: 1d100 16

She will take the boots to the meeting, and stash the men's gear in their locked room if not already grabbed by someone. Best to assume your captives have the means and the will to escape, and plan accordingly. Men without gear and without footwear will be easier to deal with.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 15:06

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina
Fortune 2/3

Despite snagging the keys while the barman wasn't looking, Karina takes the time to at least get that drink and pick up a little gossip. Sadly, it's all trivialities among the small town, but at least she knows never to go back to that tailor again. Known for shoddy work he is, and his stitching tends to give out after a few months. Good to know. After a surprisingly fruitful conversation she heads back to regroup with her companions and drops the keys on the table.

"Well, I guess you didn't need these after all. On the upside, I know I can be distracting when I need to be. They all locked up?"

Getting +5 to Fellowship, Agility, and Ballistic Skill, then the Sharpshooter talent.

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


It's the oldest trick in a book for good reason. Even if you lose everything, you still have your boots... unless you take them off to relax. Jarla feels something hard in the soles of the boots, and is able to tease out a secret stash of gold crowns hidden between the soles and the insoles of the men's boots. It takes but a few minutes to pull out 24 gc hidden away in such a manner.

The air in the basement is pleasantly cool, but it seems to grow a lot more chilly once Jakob asks about the Manglepies. "Haven't heard that term in a while," the girl says noncommittally, and only too late does Jakob recall that that is a rather offensive slang term in some parts of the Moot.

Jarla and Jakob help wrestle the restrained prisoners into the basement. The men are handed their clothes and a lamp is placed on a shelf to give them some light. The door doesn't lock, but it is fairly easy to shift a large table in front of the door opening out from the stairway to the common room of the inn. The innkeeper and a few townshalflings sit in the common room, guarding the door. Well, sitting by a table gossiping while being served beer, but they do have cudgels and bows relatively close at hand.

After a short wait, the innkeeper brings the party to the general store. Behind the counter is a stairway leading up. On the second floor of the store, the Mayor's dining room serves as the council chambers. Four halflings are seated at a table. The innkeeper joins them. The party is invited to sit down as well, although it is a little cramped, there are enough benches and chairs for everyone to have a seat. A woman comes in carrying a few trays for second breakfast, a light eggs n' taters hash.
"Help yourself," the Mayor says. "We don't usually get outsiders here this time of year. It is a pleasant surprise, though. But I gather that your trip here was not quite as smooth as you would have liked. You said you had a run in with some slavers yesterday? For the past few years, we've had good enough trade with the folks up at Greasy Diggings. We trade them food, they trade us iron and tin. Heard... unsavory rumors about slavers and banditry, but we leave well enough alone here. Don't meddle in the affairs of outsiders... But a week ago, one of our lads was out hunting in the north hills, and he heard some horsemen approaching. The lad was quick enough to get hidden, and he overheard them saying that Big Boss was tired of paying us for our food, and that he was going to raid us after the harvest! That thieving bastard! Frankly, we were at a loss about what to do! But then, Esmerelda sent you to us! Seven brave adventurers, come to us in our time of need! Harvest time is just a few weeks away. We were going to send someone down to the valley to beg for help there, but here you are! We can put together a fine purse for each of you as a reward. Say, 15 gc apiece, to stay here for a month or so and guard us from the bandits?"

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman
Wounds: 10 / 10 | Fortune: 1 -> 0 / 3

From his seat, Jakob spoke to the woman with the piping hot serving tray. "Ah, eggs n' taters hash-! Don't mind if I do, thankya!"

As he tucked into his second breakfast with gusto, Jakob savored the gritty crunch of the burnt hash bits that tasted like almost like chicken.

Through the occasional salted mouthful, Jakob nodded along to the Mayor's speech about the threats looming over Middleshire.

"'Tis true," Jakob spoke. "We encountered some slavers on the way here. Dun kil't one of 'em m'self." He flexed and rotated his left shoulder and performed a mock backhand with his left fist, as if to show how he did it.

"This one -" Jakob points to Alice while taking another mouthful. "She dun kil't two of 'em all by her scant li'l self." He chewed and swallowed.

"They aren't so tough so long at they're disorganized," Jakob offered, "and boy howdy were they disorganized yesterday!"

"Speaking of, Mr. Mayor, what do you know about this "Big Boss fella?"

Jakob Gossips: What do you know about this "Big Boss" fella?: 1d100 72 - "Not much, eh? Unfortunate."

Midway through the meal, Jakob was struck with a sudden realization.

"Oh, yes!" he said, knocking the heel of his palm into his forehead. "Silly me, I was supposed to ask you about those Healing Draughts again today, wasn't I? Did you wind up finding them?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Healing Draught!: 1d100 94 - "Wait, are you absolutely certain..?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Healing Draught! (FP): 1d100 5 - Success! "Excellent! At least one-a those'll go to Cerzi then. If you have a second one available I'll take it for 5 gc, and if not..."

"Do you have anything in those supplies of yours that heal for a lesser amount, for half the price?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Poor quality Healing Draught!: 1d100 7 "Heck, I'll take one of these for 2 gc 10 ss anyway. How long d'you think they'll still be good for?"

Nearing the end of the meal, patting his belly, Jakob took the Mayor's attentions aside from the table's main conversation to make an inquiry.

"Oh, also, Mr. Mayor, I'm looking for some family in the area. Please don't be offended by the name, it's only what I remember them being called when their branch split off from the Moot, y'know?"
Jakob Gossips: asking the Mayor about any Manglepies in the area!: 1d100 19 - Success! The Mayor knows a Manglepie!

Halfling Generated:
Gender (1:M, 2:F), First Name, Career, Random Talent: 1d2 2 2#1d100 90 16 1d1000 192 1d100 1
Robapple Manglepie, the female Halfling Dilettante with Acute Hearing!

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jul 2, 2018 around 04:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





Jarla Redlich 11/11 Hp | 1/3 Fp

No weapons. No daggers, no blades, no hidden lockpicks. But that gold could've been a bribe, a different escape strategy.

She passed the boot to Jacob. He'd split the money from the gear they sold earlier. And watching him, he seemed to split it up fairly.

"You seem to have a good head for numbers. Split it later, yeah?"

---

"What's changed?" The mayor was trying to hire them. And the worst thing you can do on a job is accept without knowing the details, as Jarla knew well.

Jacob was right, they need more information on this 'Big Boss'. And everything else.

"So they have more men? A new leader?"

She gestures in the vague direction of the inn.

"Those three over there might have some information, but they seem like outsiders themselves. What's Greasy Diggings actually like? You feed them all- how many people are there? Who are the big players? Who keeps-" Jarla stops mid-sentence, a confused look on her face. "Wait, Jacob, you got a good look at that kid on horseback didn't you? Does he sound familiar to any of you?"

As for accepting the job, she looked to Cerzi and Alice. Seeing the way Cerzi fought- she had a lot of respect for the Shield breaker. It would be a vastly different job of she wasn't interested.

And Alice was the same, Jarla had underestimated the tiny litigant at first. She wouldn't make that mistake again. In fact, if the group was to begin operating as a team like this all official like, Alice seemed a good pick for leader. Strong, tough, and good with people.

She looked back at the mayor. "Other option. Raid them first."

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 30, 2018 around 17:33

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply