Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah tbh I can't imagine the world passing me by and becoming the kind old racist grandpa except instead of racist add in whatever the civil rights struggle of that day will be.

Except you know, it's still going to be racism isn't it? It's just loving going to continue being the same dumb poo poo arguing about whether all human beings really do deserve the so-called universal human rights. Yes, no matter their skin colour. Or who they like to gently caress. Or what's going on between their legs. Like the only possible new thing here is going to be like, android or AI rights or whatever, and like, that doesn't seem so difficult and lol let's see any of that poo poo become actual reality first.

Racist grampses tend not to be the people who were radical or even progressive in their younger days so much as passive participants in the culture who considered politics an unwelcome distraction from the petty affairs of their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'd definitely campaign for android rights, but let's be honest...we first have to survive long enough as a species for us to become olds at all .

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It’s going to be furries. Plastic surgery, hair-plug technology, and advances in genetic manipulation will make furries real, and then lots of people will hate them even more. It’s going to be ugly

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Breast feeding your 16 year old son in public, going shopping with a talking anime pillow, nudists at the cinema, people tripping on legalized acid in public busses, etc. There is gonna be so much weird poo poo in 2060 for boomer goons to be annoyed about, don't worry

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Im now 36 and I'm extremely more radical and leftist than I was when I first voted at 18 so there is hope

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GABA ghoul posted:

Breast feeding your 16 year old son in public, going shopping with a talking anime pillow, nudists at the cinema, people tripping on legalized acid in public busses, etc. There is gonna be so much weird poo poo in 2060 for boomer goons to be annoyed about, don't worry

giving acid to everyone on public transport seems like a fantastic idea that will make travel 1000000% better as everyone will just sit in silence and feel chill. especially if you give it instead of alcohol. make this mandatory now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GABA ghoul posted:

Going to think all these things are dumb af but also all the people doing them are still people and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Orange Devil posted:

Going to think all these things are dumb af but also all the people doing them are still people and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

So long as they aren't also fash, sure

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

So long as they aren't also fash, sure

I specified people.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
boomer goons will be engaging on podcast discourse debate and other metapolitics dicussions which I hope kills the same urge from younger generations

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

i will never stop getting high on a bus gently caress you cant stop me

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
what the hell is a "cinema"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pajser posted:

i will never stop getting high on a bus gently caress you cant stop me
:hfive:

Please do, I don't care. Just don't have a psychotic/nervous breakdown, try to touch my hair, block the aisle while zoning out or try to chat me up about the walls moving

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

so is poland gonna disintegrate or will trzaskowski be a huge liberal coward

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/leokitty/status/1282704068457172995/photo/1

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

twoday posted:

It’s going to be furries. Plastic surgery, hair-plug technology, and advances in genetic manipulation will make furries real, and then lots of people will hate them even more. It’s going to be ugly

I am seething with millennial rage already. This forum will still exist and be our millennial echo chamber. Ruthlessly manipulated by a hyperintelligent shitposting AI indistinguishable from real posters by our senile asses, we will do the bidding of whomever is in control of the AI, our every fear and desire, our every thought molded by them.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

When everyone uses text to speech, or some weird thought to text instaconverter, we'll sit in a corner grumbling about how being a keyboard warrior used to mean something.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1283009187174383617?s=19

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4ZQDZrlgk

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Social distancing I get, but, question: does no one remember what happened like 250 years ago on 14 July?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Yeah some French guys dying to get their hands on drugs raided an apothecary called the Pastille

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yeah some French guys dying to get their hands on drugs raided an apothecary called the Pastille

You, sir, bring honor to your forums name.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

The beast stumbles onward!
(And Rutte seems to win big.)

https://www.ft.com/content/713be467-ed19-4663-95ff-66f775af55cc

quote:

EU leaders have struck a deal on a landmark coronavirus recovery package that will involve the European Commission undertaking massive borrowing on the capital markets for the first time.

After days of sometimes bitter debate, the bloc’s heads of government agreed on a €750bn package aimed at funding post-pandemic relief efforts across the EU. The deal was announced in a tweet from Charles Michel, the European Council president, at 05.31am (CET) on Tuesday and was hailed by Emmanuel Macron, the French president, as a “historic day for Europe”.

The recovery fund centres on a €390bn programme of grants to economically weakened member states — a significantly smaller sum than the €500bn package originally proposed by Berlin and Paris in May. Leaders also signed off on the EU’s next seven-year budget, which will be worth €1.074tn.

The deal, orchestrated by Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, and Mr Michel, is the fruit of marathon negotiations which began in Brussels on Friday morning. The summit was the second longest in the bloc's history, falling just shy of the record set at a meeting in Nice in 2000.

Ms Merkel hailed the agreement as setting “the financial foundations for the EU for the next seven years”. The chancellor added: “Europe has shown that it is able to break new ground in a very special situation such as this one.”

Leaders had struggled to settle an agreement in part because “frugal” states — Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden — were opposed to the idea of permitting the EU to borrow money and hand it out as budgetary expenditure for member states.

Even after the summit began, they continued to insist on paring back the amount of grants that the commission would be permitted to hand out, before finally settling on the €390bn figure.

The price for this was a boost to the budget rebates that those frugal nations receive as a legacy of the UK’s membership of the EU.

Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minister, won the prized payback mechanism in 1984, but recently countries led by France have pushed for the abolition of the rebates after Brexit.

Instead they re-emerged during the discussions as an important bargaining tool to win over frugal countries in the debate over Europe’s unprecedented response to coronavirus. Austria’s annual reduction will be doubled to €565m a year compared with previous proposals, while the Netherlands’ rebate will jump from €1.57bn to €1.92bn.

Denmark and Sweden will also receive increases in comparison with earlier plans on the table. Germany’s discount will be unchanged. Ms Merkel said the decision to raise the rebates was “painful” but necessary.

Mr Macron said retaining the rebates was the price of securing a deal. “This long negotiation was marked by difficulties. Sometimes by disagreements — different conceptions of Europe,” he said.

To reach a deal, leaders signed up to cuts in top-up funding for EU programmes compared with earlier proposals, a decision that Ursula von der Leyen, the commission president, described as “regrettable”.

A mooted solvency instrument that would have helped recapitalise struggling companies worth €26bn was scrapped. Proposed top-up spending intended to be added to the EU’s Horizon science programme was radically reduced compared with earlier proposals, and a “Just Transition Fund” to help poorer countries reduce their carbon emissions was cut from a mooted €30bn to €10bn.

The protracted negotiations laid bare deep divisions over governments’ willingness to pool their financial firepower. Splits had to be overcome through a complex patchwork of compromises.

Mark Rutte, the Dutch prime minister, secured an emergency brake that would allow any country to raise concerns that another was not honouring promises to reform its economy, and temporarily halt transfers of EU recovery money by Brussels.

But, to accommodate the sensitivities of other governments, the mechanism is time limited. The final text said EU leaders should “as a rule” take no more than three months to address any complaint. The final decision is formally left in the hands of the commission.

Another flashpoint during the talks was how to link the money to respect for the rule of law. Critics have claimed there have been violations of judicial independence in Poland, and have alleged that democratic norms have been undermined in Hungary. But a push for tough conditions led to threats from Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban to block the entire recovery package.

On this issue, a group of leaders led by Ms Merkel and Krisjanis Karins, the Latvian prime minister, worked on a compromise plan that would allow a weighted majority of EU governments to block payments to a country over rule-of-law violations.

After the summit, Ms Merkel said the rule of law mechanism would not “single out one or two countries” — a reference to objections from Poland and Hungary that the plan was designed to sanction their governments.

Not mentioned here, but in the NYT article is that Poland was able to win an interesting concession...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/world/europe/eu-stimulus-coronavirus.html

quote:

But the deal came at a heavy price in progressive goals attached to E.U. values and norms. To bring Hungary and Poland on board, E.U. leaders decided to water down the caveat making funding conditional on the rule-of- law benchmarks that the two nations’ illiberal governments are violating.

In another concession to Poland, the bloc’s most coal-dependent nation, a requirement was dropped that would have committed the country to being carbon neutral by 2050 to draw on parts of the funds.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of loving course it turns into the worst of all worlds

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lolll 750b aahahaha good luck penny-pinching your way through this

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Next time I'm hooking up a dutch person with some weed i'll make sure they price it 20 euros the g, actually pretty much anyone not from the "lazy europe"

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
now try explaining to a dutch person that the country is so rich not because everyone but them is lazy, but because of slavery and hundreds of years of exploitation.

(im dutch but not living there anymore)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sorry about the awful leader of my terrible country, should've known she wasn't content to murder disabled people at home.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

oliwan posted:

now try explaining to a dutch person that the country is so rich not because everyone but them is lazy, but because of slavery and hundreds of years of exploitation.

they will say the voc did nothing wrong while putting on blackface

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I wish I could leave this racist shithole country :/ but I'm going to have to stay and try to help get some leftists elected. Shits bleak though.

(Dutch and hating it atm.)

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

oliwan posted:

Yes, that explains why Spain is in economic trouble. They never had an empire :rolleyes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dutch still have an empire, they just don't do straight up slavery anymore, they just import wageslave taxes now.

spain, not so much these days

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

Yes, that explains why Spain is in economic trouble. They never had an empire :rolleyes:

There's multiple types of empire and exploitation. The Dutch happened to luck into a more longlasting version.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reminder that the 17th century, i.e. when the VOC was at the height of its exploitative power, is called the Golden Century/ Age in Holland. This is also how it is taught in schools. The "VOC mentality" is a corner stone of Dutch culture.

A good essay on this:

The Dutch VOC mentality. Cultural Policy as a Business Model

quote:

In response to the opposition's criticism of government economic policy in 2006, the then Prime Minister of the Netherlands, Jan-Peter Balkenende, called for a return to the "VOC mentality". This was a reference to the old Dutch trading spirit and entrepreneurialism of the United East India Company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC, 1602–1798/9) – the world's very first multinational company. It unleashed a wave of criticism, since such romanticism about the Dutch Golden Age ignores the inherent historical associations with violence, slavery and colonialism. The Premier later stressed that "it had not been his intention to refer to that at all". However, it was precisely this selective approach to the country's history and his own unawareness of it, that had so offended his critics.

The VOC mentality as a characteristic of the selective historical perspective on the Dutch Golden Age has been a key feature of Dutch cultural policy for many years. The government seized on the economic crisis that broke out in 2008 as an opportunity to make far-reaching cutbacks in the cultural sector, involving such great cuts to subsidies that critics have referred to it ever since as a 'cultural slash-and-burn policy'. Although virtually no part of the cultural sector was spared the effects of the cuts, certain institutions, including Rotterdam's Wereldmuseum and Amsterdam's Tropenmuseum and National Maritime Museum (Scheepvaartmuseum), were particularly badly hit by the policy. It is worth noting that these museums are the custodians of the country's collections of colonial history. The reasons given for the cuts were said to be based on 'impartial economic logic'. The 'success' of museums is determined by the number of visitors they attract. Since critical reflection on the colonial past is hardly a great money-spinner, these museums tend to fall by the wayside. As such, this would appear to be an example of the economic crisis being used to justify an ideological shift of strategy in the nation's cultural institutions. Only the stringent cutbacks, in part masked by urgent calls for cultural entrepreneurship and financial independence, appear to be linked to a renewed insistence on defining Dutch identity and betray a wilful national loss of memory, or at the very least, a disquieting indifference towards some of the darker moments in the country's history.

[...]

Last year a museum in Amsterdam decided to stop using the the term "Golden Age", and when Rutte was asked what he thinks of this, he responded by calling the move "nonsense" and said that “there were, for sure, things you can think of that weren’t good in the Golden Age, but I think it’s a great name.” He then added: “Let’s invest our energy in creating a new Golden Age.”

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oliwan posted:

Reminder that the 17th century, i.e. when the VOC was at the height of its exploitative power, is called the Golden Century/ Age in Holland. This is also how it is taught in schools. The "VOC mentality" is a corner stone of Dutch culture.
Proper states celebrate fighting white Christians.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SOmething someting tulips

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

My history textbook had a very good sub-title for the chapter on the Golden Age.

The Golden Age: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

France could 1v2 poland and hungary idk why you guys put up with their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like what are the Hungarians gonna do? Throw spritzers at you?