Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

The issue with this is that the mechanics of Fire Emblem wouldn't back up the story, since FE gameplay is, by nature, slow and methodical, which wouldn't reinforce the sense of urgency and panic being pushed by the story. On the other hand, this would be an interesting way to introduce a mechanic of some maps having time limits on the player's turn. It would be a pretty solid gimmick, at least.

That sounds like a great gimmick for endgame maps where people are familiar with how the game is played, but starting off like that would just be horrible. Just use the traditional turn limits or do what Shadow Dragon remake did and have a wall of generals or whatever slowly moving in on you that you could not possibly hope to defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

EclecticTastes posted:

I wasn't referring to turn limits on maps, I was saying time limits. Like in speed chess. You have two minutes to move all your poo poo, or your turn ends immediately.

Noooo that is a terrible idea. Why? Why would you do that in a turn-based game? No.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

EclecticTastes posted:

The issue with this is that the mechanics of Fire Emblem wouldn't back up the story, since FE gameplay is, by nature, slow and methodical, which wouldn't reinforce the sense of urgency and panic being pushed by the story.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin pulled off something like this with it's own intro so it's totally doable. It's all about the framing an execution.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Silver Falcon posted:

Noooo that is a terrible idea. Why? Why would you do that in a turn-based game? No.

I once again point to speed chess, which is quite popular worldwide. It's not something to make an entire game out of, but as a rare map gimmick, like fog-of-war, it can provide a change of pace.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I think the answer to that is in his username haha.

Personally I think Awakening's story is bog-standard and has a lot of pacing/plotting issues, but I honestly just adore the basis of the time travel thing. It's probably one of the better marriages of gameplay/story integration I've seen in a game, by giving a valid reason for waifu eugenics while actually being relatively interesting story wise. A desperation maneuver where the kids use an unreliable method to try to save their past? Completely explains why they appear and are encountered at random and why they're almost universally entrenched in poo poo you have to dig them out of. Perfect.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin pulled off something like this with it's own intro so it's totally doable. It's all about the framing an execution.

Intro nothing, there's that "poo poo got real" level that's basically a playable cutscene of your guys scrambling just ahead of death troops. And then you get nuked anyway. Maybe it's just because I'm the kind of person to get emotionally invested in a story on the back of a cereal box, but that felt really well laid out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That sounds like a great way for me to make a ton of stupid mistakes because I always gently caress up in FE when I go too fast.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

hopeandjoy posted:

That sounds like a great way for me to make a ton of stupid mistakes because I always gently caress up in FE when I go too fast.

Obviously, the maps would be designed around the concept, just like fog-of-war maps. Most importantly, such maps would likely be smaller, and have lower deployment limits, so you're not juggling too much information at once. Plus, I'm only suggesting timing the individual turns, no overall "finish map in X minutes or Game Over" timer, as that would require other design considerations (plus, Advance Wars did a ton of those already, doing a speed chess variant of FE would be more novel).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I wasn't referring to turn limits on maps, I was saying time limits. Like in speed chess. You have two minutes to move all your poo poo, or your turn ends immediately.

There was that one mission early in Advance Wars: Dual Strike that had a total time limit, but it was so lenient that it was basically irrelevant. Maybe it was more of an issue on Hard Campaign...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

AweStriker posted:

There was that one mission early in Advance Wars: Dual Strike that had a total time limit, but it was so lenient that it was basically irrelevant. Maybe it was more of an issue on Hard Campaign...

Dual Strike had an entire game mode that worked like that (Time Survival).

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I bought the game because of this thread and I really like it. It is the first FE game that I actually play (I read pretty much all of the FE LP) and I think it is a great game for beginners.

I usually hate games with weapon uses so I like the equipment system in FE Echoes. Some of the equipment is so broken!

I'm playing on normal difficulty and the game is pretty easy. I like that I don't have to min/max and can take all my favorite characters even if their stats are not optimal. My Lukas is turning into a real beast (when there's no magic thrown at him).

I'm already into chapter 4 so I can't wait to see how your game turns out. Great LP

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Snorb posted:

I dunno, I just want a Fire Emblem game to start off with your My Unit creation; the standard "What's your name?" "Are you a male or female?" "What's your affinity as far as Supports go?" "What color hair do you have?" and then immediately gear-shift into "HOLY loving poo poo, the entire Imperial Army is attacking your village, here's a Rapier and an Iron Sword and a Vulnerary, WHY ARE YOU STILL STANDING THERE, DO YOU WANT TO GET KILLED!?"

No buildup. No subtlety. No immediate backstory beyond what can be gleaned from the back of the box. Just have My Unit be as confused as you the player are as to what the hell's going on.

Next map, no explanation of plot, just "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, HERE'S YOUR BEST FRIENDS RED CAVALIER, GREEN CAVALIER, AND JEIGAN, RUN YOU FOOL," and the third map "here's your other friends Pegasus Knight, Archer, and Priestess, WE'LL EXPLAIN WHAT'S HAPPENING ONCE IT'S SAFE WHICH IT ISN'T."

I guess this is why I don't write Fire Emblem games.

I dunno. With some polish, this sounds like the premise of a pretty good plot.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

KDavisJr posted:

I dunno. With some polish, this sounds like the premise of a pretty good plot.
I think so, too. Like, instead of being nobility, you're just some villager with militia training thrust into the position of MAIN PROTAGONIST and it's sink or swim. It even allows for exposition without it feeling forced, since the character is learning along with the player.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The twist is: It's never safe.

You never get an explanation. You just panic-bumble your way through a series of maps and somehow end up toppling the evil empire without ever really knowing what they were on about.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

I think so, too. Like, instead of being nobility, you're just some villager with militia training thrust into the position of MAIN PROTAGONIST and it's sink or swim. It even allows for exposition without it feeling forced, since the character is learning along with the player.

I mean, now you're basically just describing this game, the one being LPed right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem being is that no player will do what Eirika does later in the game so...

• Locked thread